radim's levelmaker - new dimension on levelmaking

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

Harald Hasch
Kuski

Post by Harald Hasch »

[quote="Antz"]yeah but those levels weren't any better than the rest of the levels, and at least nr3 (i'm fairly sure it's made with radim prog) wasn't any good because it was made with the prog, it was cleverly built. and it sure wasn't ez and quick to make even as a picture.[/quote]

what the f**k, i didnt use this f**king prog, i hate it and i never will use it understand, i'm just a great level maker you know...
Antz
Donator
Team: Quack

Post by Antz »

Harald Hasch wrote:what the f**k, i didnt use this f**king prog, i hate it and i never will use it understand, i'm just a great level maker you know...
nice, i got to say you really put effort in the level then. and a nice one it was too.

BarTek wrote:Elma is become so complicated now, i used to play elma for its simplicity...
i could put that as my sig. that's SO TRUE!! DAMNIT THIS GAME IS GOING WAAAAAY TOO COMPLICATED!!!!
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

but still i dont understand you bartek:
a level that you painted in paint or something would suck, cause you dont know how the ways work, and so on!
it sucks when making detailed levels for a contset, and some use the prog and some not, but its ok for me in general, you can think youre cool if you not use this prog and still make great levs (no problem at all)...
Adam
Kuski

Wow, you guys really know how to whine!

Post by Adam »

*LOL* Rather funny reading, this thread. You must surely be little kids, those of you who keep whining about the existence of this util.

Or perhaps you think it is cheating too, if you use a non-wooden tennis ketcher, a metallic fishing rod or golf club? What about the use of tip-tronic transmissions and 4WD in rally cars? Or a bit closer to home: Using a high-end gamerz mouse to play Quake, instead of a cheap one or even keyboard-only, as was the only option in the early versions of this game? I could go on forever... It's called "progress", and it happens in sports and games just like in all other areas of life, even nature makes use of this concept (but perhaps you would prefer still being a minute worm-like creature like your great^100 grandparents?)

Anyway, the whole discussion is moot. If it isn't obvious if a level was made using this util, then it shouldn't matter, as it then follows that it COULD have been made with or without it, whatever you prefer. If, on the other hand, it IS obvious, then there is no need to "tag" levels made this way, as such levels would then easily be spotted, should they pop up in a comp disallowing such levels.

Surely you aren't bitching just because newbies don't have to go through the same pains you had to, in order to make a given kind of level? That would be just like someone bitching about word processing software because they had to use a typewriter or pencil, back when they started writing.

I thought it was only stupid religious people and their priests that would seriously try to argue AGAINST progress and innovation, but obviously I overestimate the intelligence of mankind (or is it simply that we are talking childkind here?)

I'm sure that, in a while, everyone will be perfectly happy with both "newstyle" (ie. made using this util) and "oldstyle" levels being available. Likewise, I'm convinced that the next generation of level makers will consider this util a must-have tool they wouldn't gladly be without, even if they might not use it for any and all levels they make.

A-)
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Heh, maybe you think you are very right about this, but I don't think so.
I guess you don't understand what this was all about. People here were scared that levls with cool pics from bitmaps were winning factors in Theme Level Contests, while playability should be forgotten. The fact is, that this has proven to be not true. I made a level for the LOM contest with this util too, and believe me, it didn't made it such a good level. So in other words, this program is not an util for improving beginners to make super levels, but instead not doing any goood to levels. You maybe think, blah blah, little kid is being wiseguy and such, well that is your problem. But don't call us here in this forum a little childhood community who doesn't like cool newbies. Newbies just aren't cool with their levs, they always suck.
Adam
Kuski

Post by Adam »

Hi Flat Tracker,

Glad to get a response (I only realised this thread was long dead, AFTER writing my looong reply :) )

First of all: Sorry if I offended you, but if you read the posts in the thread you surely must agree with me that many of the comments aren't too mature, nor do they make much sense if only you stop to think about it for a minute or two.

You do know that you are confirming exactly what I said, don't you? (ie. This util won't be any kind of "threat" to serious lev makers, nor to the lev comp scene.)

Why anyone would fear that "playability should be forgotten" is beyond me? Isn't it obvious that it will always be those playing the levs (and/or grading comp entries) that decide what is important for a good lev, and never those making the levs (if that was the case, dang would we be in a sad place, of the 4000+ levs I've tested, only about 100 was worth anything.)

I never said the util would let beginners make super leves, nor did I say the ELMA community is a childhood community (even if the average age probably isn't too high, and certainly at least a decade below mine) or that it doesn't like newbies.

Regarding your comment about newbie levels: My first level was accepted for use in a comp, so when you claim newbie levs always suck, you must be speaking for yourself?

Finally: I don't think I'm right, I know it! (And nothing you wrote proves me wrong, at least not so far, but you're welcome to keep trying...)

A-)
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Hm, I wonder what levs you've tried, but you are kinda right abou the playability thing.

But what makes you think that you are so mature compared with all those other guys here? First of all, you must be 30 to be a decade older than the most of these guys 'round here, 2nd: matureness is given by age, you say, but on this forum that is not really true, looking at some wierdo's here. They just do what they like, oki?

Do you call yourself a newbie if you make constantly good levels? i don't think so. In my vision, newbie's are the new guys who make bad levels or rides.

Don't you think it is kinda immature to discuss about maturity with a 15 year old newbie? You as 30 year old, rocking ol' guy?

( I am feeling, this has no sense, I know what written above is not clear enough, but I can't explain my thoughts better in english, sorry.)
Adam
Kuski

Post by Adam »

Hi,

Hmm, I should probably not be the judge of my own maturity, and I certainly don't think that maturity comes automatically with age, nor that young people can't be quite mature for their age. To keep you from guessing: My age is 33 (so you were quite close :) )

The only thing I wanted to imply was this: Whining about this util ruining anything on the ELMA scene seem a bit immature to me (and, not surprisingly, it turned out that didn't in fact ruin anything what so ever.)

I certainly don't make "constantly good" levels, in fact I made only the one (not including a few half-finished ones I've never published). This was just to point out that, just like some young people are more mature than other, older people, some newbie level makers (newbie meaning they havn't made a lot, or even any, levels before) will actually do a nice job, while other wannabe level makers never ever produce anything good.

Also, just to clear things up: I consider myself a newbie levelmaker, since I've only made one. However, my total time is only a few minutes above the 1 hour limit, so I wouldn't consider myself a newbie ELMA player (but perhaps not a true Kuski either).

I don't consider it immature to discuss anything with anyone, at least not until it becomes pure insult-throwing, but I don't feel we are going in that direction here? Also, for the record, I've never implied that you, personally, are immature. Those comments was related to the whiners at the top of this thread (didn't read through all three pages I must admit!) People who have since been proved wrong in their whinings, which a more mature person whould have seen comming before posting a whine.

I think I got most of what you said / wanted to say. Your English is by no means the worst I've had to "decipher" in forums such as this :)) Only way to learn is to use the language, so keep it up (Take me for instance, I'm no more English than you, I've just read and written a LOT of English in my time!)

If you want a tip: Make sure to read a lot of English books, thats how I learned, also most English titles are much better in their original language than their translations! (If you dig SciFi, I recommend: Peter F. Hamilton, Larry Niven, Iain M. Banks, Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke, they should keep you going for a while!)

While I want to stress that I'm in no way offended, I will say this: Watch what you say about us "old" people, I remember when I was your age, and the fact is that you won't feel any different (inside) when you reach the big three-oh, even if you may have started to act more "grown up" because that is what is expected of you. (Something I resent, and try to avoid, one of the reasons I make sure to play some games. Nothing worse than when you inner child dies!)

Remember: A grown up is just a child who have lived longer and with larger balls/tits! Nothing magic happens that change the way you feel inside, nor do you wake up on your eighteenth birthday, suddenly feel more mature or a lot wiser (would be nice though, wouldn't it!) It is truly sad that so many grown ups think they are so much better than their younger counterparts, when the actual fact is your brain goes downhill from the very day you are born! (Actually, it is your ability to learn that goes downhill from birth, the brain itself doesn't start the downhill trip untill age 25.)

Regards,

A-)
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Adam wrote: (even if the average age probably isn't too high, and certainly at least a decade below mine) ... A-)
from this I misread that you were much older, thus more mature. Misunderstood.
Also, just to clear things up: I consider myself a newbie levelmaker, since I've only made one. However, my total time is only a few minutes above the 1 hour limit, so I wouldn't consider myself a newbie ELMA player (but perhaps not a true Kuski either).
I DO consider you as a newbie ELMA player then , sorry. :)
I consider myself as just new to the scene, and the under 45 mins guys as true kuskis, so you have a long way to go. ;)

I am happy you didn't get offended, what certainly wasn't my goal, but sometimes you never know. Also, about english [offtopic], Animal Farm (little little book) was nice to read in english [/offtopic].

I hope we can end this discussion here now, and if want to chit-chat some more I suggest #across / #mopokuskis on IRCnet.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I suggest btw, the 'introducing myself' topic! :wink:
jw
Kuski
Team: raam65

Post by jw »

I just wanna say I'm still reading this topic and my friend/ teammate Serj had is 30st birthday yesterday and I think he is still the big (over 2 meter) child he was a week ago, so I think have to agree with Adam, also on the other parts.
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

Big news ppl!! I had some time over so I made a graphic interface for this wonderful prog!!

Big thanks to Rad who included the source files in his zip!!

Now EVERYONE can use it,even if they don't know much about command lines!

What are you waiting for?? Here's the link:
http://hem.passagen.se/zworqy/elasto/st ... vmaker.zip

(Please tell me if you find some big bug :wink: )
<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
<yoosef> zworqy doesnt suck at anything
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I will test it. Great efforts, zworQ! :)
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

First major bug - can't download.
39:37,91
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

just go to:
http://hem.passagen.se/zworqy/elasto/stuff/
and search for the prog there, n00b!
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

hm, sorry, I can't test it, don't know how to emulate this shit. :?
Adam
Kuski

Emulate?

Post by Adam »

Hi,

If by "emulate this shit" you mean getting it to run under XP (not that I fully understand why anyone would want to use this particular OS?) I guess the thing is to use Win95 emulation with any "fancy" features disabled? (Such as auto settings for memory and other "dynamic" stuff.)

But of course I wouldn't know for sure, since I'm a happy user of Win2K, which typically don't require emulation at all :)

I might of course have misunderstood completely, what it is your'e asking?

A-)

P.S. By now I've had the chance to try a few levels made with this util, and I have yet to be impressed by the quality and originality of these (might of course be that I haven't found the really good ones yet). I must therefore conclude that one would have to be quite insecure about ones abilities as a level maker, to fear competition from anyone relying entirely (or even partly) on this util for producing a level! On the other hand, I'm convinced that any, already proficient, levelmaker could, at least in some cases, benefit from the util, especially with regard to saving some time (which could also be viewed as allowing you to spend the same time making the level even better!)
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

LINUX.
Adam
Kuski

emulation

Post by Adam »

Ah! There I'm afraid I can't be of help (though I should think it possible to do!)

A-)
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Yes, it is possible, but I don't know how to configure it, am not sure if I can do that.