The Quitting Topic !

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

NoZKeY
Kuski

Re: The Quitting Topic !

Post by NoZKeY »

Alright, this time it's for realz, i don't fit in this scene anymore.
Bye
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

Why not? :(
ToMaT
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

i feel...
"delete this post"
will appear

in a few days
Kazeta
Kuski

Post by Kazeta »

NoZKeY wrote:Alright, this time it's for realz, i don't fit in this scene anymore.
Bye
what, are u fucking kidding me?
TT: 47:40,88
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

yea, must be :lol:
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

pawq posting in the quitting topic sach YESH... faaak
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

Zweq wrote:pawq posting in the quitting topic sach YESH... faaak
HAHAHHAHA ;DD
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

Has anyone who posted in this thread actually managed to quit?
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

wke is still in the army i guess. Only 7 years to go. 8)
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
twipleyy
Kuski

Post by twipleyy »

John wrote:Has anyone who posted in this thread actually managed to quit?
I guess for most it's mostly like jokke:
Jokke wrote:I quit. No special reason, just finally got bored with the game after all these years. I'll probably still observe the scene from the backround every now and then to see what's going on.
For me, at least it is. How can one not continue to keeping posted on new internal style developments, anyway. :nerd: ;)
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

i fucking love this topic.
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I quit playing for a while now, but hey, you never quit. :)
NoZKeY
Kuski

Post by NoZKeY »

Once again, i fail at quitting elma. I have been playing internal02 today :DD
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Pawq wrote:i feel...
"delete this post"
will appear

in a few days
was long a few days but anyway :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

NoZKeY wrote:Once again, i fail at quitting elma. I have been playing internal02 today :DD
This is why i find this topic totally useless.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

this topic proves that mankind doesn't really have any free will. It's all physics in our head, and if there isn't any necessity to quit something which isn't directly lifethreatening, we keep on doing that something, eventhough it wrecks our lives in the long run.
bob
Kuski

Post by bob »

haven't played for atleast 6 months, don't really miss it too much either.

hardly come here too, and when i do, it's usually a waste of time.
mcleod
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

that's the spirit
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
GRob
36mins club

Post by GRob »

time has come.=)
It's been 2,5 years. Not that it's getting boring, I can't really explain the reasons. "Unfortunately" too many good people in the scene(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMUphVV08iQ), and "Unfortunately" I did some int times, so there is something to left behind, and this makes it harder. Maybe I will play some ints, before I do an absolute quit, but not online for sure, the temptation would be too high. I would like to say thanks to everyone, real good people here.
thx for reading this, I can english.
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

HWAAAAAAAAT
no! D========:
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
(Devann) u are the master of your own universe. remember that
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

see ya soon!
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

Damn, lost much motivation when read that. :( Feels like big part of future missing now.
Hope you come back :(

EDIT: btw, I sent you big PM
Last edited by Hosp on 25 Feb 2011, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
ToMaT
Bismuth
Kuski
Team: <3

Post by Bismuth »

be a nozkey please
:mrhat:
analcactus
Kuski

Post by analcactus »

Noone can quit elma really, i hope you'll comeback! Atleast in eol battles sometimes!
See you sir Grobik!
And thank you for being cool!
:(
Image Image
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Well, I could try to beat your hb WR now... xD
nick-o-matic
Kuski

Post by nick-o-matic »

I don't know why you are quitting if you still enjoy elma. Elma is a great brain-stimulating hobby. Some casual elmaing doesn't make you a nolife nor a nerd. Besides, what would be so bad in being a nerd? The social pressure for avoiding things that some people consider boring and nerdish sucks. Drinking beer in a park and hanging around in a shopping mall is overrated.

Anyway it's good to have some breaks sometimes and I hope you will be back at least by the time when there's the next FFcup (=when final fixed version of eol comes).

Maybe you should start driving karting by the way. You obviously have some serious talent for elma and I think that things like karting require pretty similiar touch in my opinion. You might get far in there because you are still so young.
GRob
36mins club

Post by GRob »

Thank you, but nom, it's not becouse of that. It's not a nolife problem or such, I can do social life, elma does not take it, but C'mon. You missed a really important thing, the studying. My marks are ok now, but I know it won't be enough to get in a nice university. And I don't think I'm "strong" enough to surmount the temptation of elma, I hope people understand it now.
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

i always thought grades are not important, and now that im grown up and wise i can say i was right. grades only determine your skill of expressing thought-flow on a piece of paper, many brain aspects aren't measured at all. but sure if it's what _you_ want, a "good university", go ahead, be the star, but plz be sure it's you who want it , not the ppl around you

oh and btw i have "quitted" elma many times, especially when i was new in the scene back in 2003, so
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Why quit if it's still phun? Also, the fact that it's still phun will make you unable to quit. Sorrey. 8)
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

At first I really hope you won't quit. Secondly, I'm sure you can perfectly manage both good marks and elma at the same time, I'm sure many guys do that. Thirdly, you're still 3.5 years (ye? or) before the final exams, and only those will in fact affect the university you go to. I've had absolutely hopeless marks until the previous year (like 2-3/6. This year I have put myself together and I'm on my best way to a world-class university atm. And I still have time for elma, not as much as I would like, but still I do. You don't need to quit elma completely to sustain your development, you can easily reconcile those two.
I hope you won't leave us, but whatever you choose, good luck!
cheers :)
GRob
36mins club

Post by GRob »

Damn, people made me thinking. Maybe you all are right, but I really want to limit my time in front of comp. Like playing a bit 1 day per week..I hope it will work. by the way it's 2,5 years, and the next years grades are already matter. And Zweq, It's not like I want it, it's something I need, of course playing as much as I want would be the best
thx for feedbacks everyone, hehe
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

I think i'll write what i did back when i've been in a similar situation in 2004. Elma and other gaming activities sucked away too much time and i couldnt really control it. I was addicted. If i was saying to myself "ok, 30 minutes, then i have to study", it meant i'd be spending 7 hours on a hoyl and then end up screwing up the whole day. Even in the days when i wasn't playing, my mind kept being attracted to elma&stuff and i couldnt concentrate enough to start doing things i had to do. If you're like me, do like me - stop playing completely for a few months and quit for a while. Take all the time you need, and simply do what you have to do. In the way you wish to. And then come back when you feel like it. If you're not like me and you can actually control your playing, then try doing so. 1 day a week sounds good, go for it. It didn't work for me though (that's why i decided to write this post).
Stopping playing elma for 1.5 years was one of the best decisions i've made in my elma career (i did it twice, actually. In 2004 and 2007, but still followed the scene). Now i'm studying in the only place i wanted to study at, doing things i wanted to, and doing them good. I think this is what you're aiming too. And btw, if i hadnt quitted, i would have screwed up my lifeplans badly with 100% chance.
But coming back was also one of the best decisions, i've got a lot of fun this year playing eol and i'd never trade these fun hours on anything else. And i don't regret spending all this time on elma for sure!
Just my thoughts and experience, maybe you can apply something of this to yourself. Sorry for such long obfuscated post, max tired and shocked now to be able to express myself properly.

I think John could write something helpful on this topic, since although being in "dormant" elmastate because of studying, he still manages to kick ass when he finds time to play a bit:)
GRob
36mins club

Post by GRob »

good to see your story anp. The reason of this 1 day per week is exactly what you said, "controlling myself problems". So this looks much better than a plan like "30 mins every day". In this way, I can "screw" one day =D
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

well. I personally quit elma many times, always to return. sometime good returns, sometimes bad. either way, if grob feels he should not play, who are you other dudes to tell him otherwise? now I think elma is great. elma never really been so fun as since belma came, and even cooler with EOL. I never played internals the way grob does but I played external packs from time to time and the its just often no fun, you just say; I will beat thjat record, and simply play til you manage... for some ppl that is fun, for some its both (fun and opposite) and for some its mostly painful... since belma came I didnt really play any external packs... battling is just the best way of playing... for me it means: I can leave puter at any time... which was trouble when played packs, and Im sure its same for ppl playing internals. many ppl quit elma and for many it was active descistion cause they played more than they wanted, simply it turned out of their control. some ppl just got bored... either way, one must respect everyones decsision and ofc I think its cool when grob is online when i host battles and such, but if its in the way he explains here, ofc I prefer a little worse result in my battles and a little better life fro grob...

as I have it now elma dont take time from other stuff, I have no troubles controlling it. dont feel forced to play in any way... EOL is just perfect for me. soon spring arrives and I will be playing less and less elma... after summer again I will play more... its cool.

so, regardless the endresult, if grob really keeps quitting or just starts quitting. doesnt really matter, when the thoughts are spinning in your head the way they seem to be in grobs head, better quit and take it from there, even if he (or anyone else for that matter) changes his mind, its not a failure.

Grob wrote:
"Damn, people made me thinking. Maybe you all are right, but I really want to limit my time in front of comp."

well, you only live one life and its your life. what the hell other ppl say/want you should not be an issue. as zweq said, goes same for parents on other elmaplayers. its easy to say: listen to your heart, but really, its hard. most of us just ignored the voice of the heart and its pains our heart. ofc heart dont want to suffer, it is our heart, and it dont want us to be in pain, so the voice of the heart starts whispering, the longer you ignore your heart it will be harder to feel (hear) what your heart really wants. ofc its never too late... but its better the earlier imo. even if you fails, even if you misread your heart... its the way to go. also, failure is not bad... better try and fail, than to not try at all... I always just not tried... and it pained me alot. yet, same applies here, dont listen to me, what do I know? not for me to say how to lead ones life. I can only say how I shall lead my life... simply telling my point of view... (hmmm.. did this turn off-topic?)
Elasto Mania - ez better
Pab
38mins club

Post by Pab »

I feel a bit like grob but in my case im starting university this year (first year).
I always had good notes but actually "elma distracted me" specialy in exams period.
Thx for that cool words anpad i want to do that, despite of i wont leave elma sence for a while ; )
My Youtube Channel Level Stats Maker Battle Notifier!

Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

If you can manage one day a week only, it'll do all the best for your career. If not, you're screwed. I quit elma totally during the course of the past year, and I don't have any regrets about doing so. It all went naturally, so it wasn't a big deal anyway. I tried before by the way, and without any external need, it was way harder.

Nowadays when I look at my schedule, I couldn't afford losing time behind the computer. Playing a computer game simply doesn't fulfill my need of doing interesting stuff anymore. For the same reason I watch only about 1 hour to 2 hours of TV a week. During work mostly, as I haven't had one myself for about two years now.

My life is now absorbed by more interactive activities. In real life, that is. Also, all this planning and organising I have been doing since september 2009 as the (vice)president of our study association confronted me with my lack of planning and selfdiscipline on a more personal level. Right now, I work 8 hours a week as a cleaner, 2 hours a week as guitar teacher (yes, really) and about 10 to 20 hours as the president. I sing in a choir and I study a bit harder. I plan to be a virtuoso and parttime musician/parttime music teacher when I'm 30. This all would be different if I hadn't quit elma.

My tip would be: try to challenge yourself in the real life. Sports, work, study, whatever. Set a goal, and try to achieve it by spending more time on it than on elma.
Kazeta
Kuski

Post by Kazeta »

i quit playing so bye bye NOOBS <3
TT: 47:40,88
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

Hmm, so when I woke up after a nice nap, my computer didn't work.
Whole day of trying to fix, still doesn't.
It seems unfixable for me.
Now I am using Safe Mode with Networking.
If I turn it in to the computer store 'Alina Systems' to fix it, I think it will still not.
So, if it doesn't, I quit.
Will still read Lauta and stuff, but I can not play.
Hope it works.

Bye.

And here I was hoping for a full day of elma with many internal playing.
ToMaT
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Hosp wrote:Hmm, so when I woke up after a nice nap, my computer didn't work.
Whole day of trying to fix, still doesn't.
It seems unfixable for me.
Now I am using Safe Mode with Networking.
If I turn it in to the computer store 'Alina Systems' to fix it, I think it will still not.
So, if it doesn't, I quit.
Will still read Lauta and stuff, but I can not play.
Hope it works.

Bye.

And here I was hoping for a full day of elma with many internal playing.
Stupidest reason to quit elma ever.
You do realize you can get another computer and reinstall elma right? It's like if you broke one of your shoes and be like: "Shit, never wearing shoes again man." Completly ridiculous.
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Post by Mawane »

totally agree with BoneLESS, if you cant transfer your levels, state.dat and stuff, at least you can retrieve some from EOL site and elmastats
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

If I will get new computer, I maybe will get it at christmas, that's too long wait, I'd rather just forget internet, games, elma if it won't get fixed. I have all my elma stuff on an USB stick, all except 2 new best times I made yesterday in internals.
+ on this I have aaaaaaallll movies I downloaded and games, (music and some movies in external HDD) and all programs and everything, bookmarks, etc so hard to start over :S
I go try to system restore 1 week <
ToMaT
Bismuth
Kuski

Post by Bismuth »

solution: do not download porn
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

ez don't use computer ever again
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

If you can safe mode, you can most likely save all your data still, maybe it's just a windows reinstall needed, so just buy new harddrive and install windows on that so you don't delete stuff on the old and get access that still, or just copy important stuff to external now and reinstall
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Maybe it's a good opportunity for Hosp to concentrate on real life for a while. That is, if Elma has been interfering with it in the past. So you could optimistically consider it a good thing. However if you can't think of it like that, I hope you can get some computer to use for Elma and internets! Luckily you don't need mega hardware for that. :)
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

It's good solution to buy a new computer every time your OS fucks up.
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

Kopaka, my brother said that too, now let's hope I am able to get that, do you think I can install W7 to this computer now and still have my things?
ToMaT
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

You can't install w7 on the same HDD as you have all your stuff without losing it. Either make backu of that HDD or install on new one.
Bismuth
Kuski

Post by Bismuth »

ez buy a crap hdd for 5$
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

Igge wrote:You can't install w7 on the same HDD as you have all your stuff without losing it. Either make backu of that HDD or install on new one.
You can install. He will need to move elma to other disk(partition). If he has enough free space on disk where he wants to install W7 old documents, windows files and program files will be saved in Windows.old folder.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()