My First Post: Random thoughts on Elma, Moposite, WC5, etc.

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

DamRho
Kuski

My First Post: Random thoughts on Elma, Moposite, WC5, etc.

Post by DamRho »

Hi to all,

This is my first post here in Mopolauta so I've decided to go on and rant about the game itself and related stuff. Hope I don't bore anyone to death.

Anyway, I've started playing Elastomania a while ago after being addicted to Across like almost everybody else in my class when I was like 14. Eventually computers were upgraded and Across didn't run anymore so I eventually found Elastomania a few years later. I've stopped playing it after a while and about a month ago I found out that a guy at university was also an Across addict and didn't know about Elastomania so we started playing it and the addiction returned.

I've seen some rumours recently of new Elma versions and a few of my friends actually beg daily for an open source version of Elma. Honestly, I think going open source would kill the game: the day after there would be 9 million different versions and there would be no real standard game, which would kill the scene IMO. Anyway, a new version would be nice but I think Elma is timeless the way it is right now.

I've always thought I was a pretty good player - I don't want to brag but the rest of the guys at university don't play half as well as I do except for one other person which plays kind of as much as I do - but then I decided to search google for Elastomania and I found Moposite. I must say I was completely dazzled by your World Record times! I thought my Headbanger 1:14:79 time (I can do a little better but I can't see myself doing less than 1:10 the style I'm playing now) was a good time (how the hell do you go through that pipe?!?!) and though it was painful to find it is actually crap the fact that I had better times to beat made me want to play the game even more. I've seen the "target times" section in Moposite and I think they are a little bit exagerated... Some of the guys at university take over 2 minutes to finish Headbanger so you know what I mean.

I actually have a few times that are nice but I need a lot of training in other levels (I usually only play Headbanger anyway). I've noticed that I actually have a few Top 10 times and a Top 10 total time for players with my nationality but I don't even know if Moposite is even updated anymore in that capacity and how am I supposed to submit those times...

So we've found out that World Cup 5 will take place and we've decided to found an Elastomania team to compete and try not be placed last (which will be a real challenge lol). I guess I'll be starting to follow this message board from now on and I hope a lot of you participate in World Cup 5 so that some of you actually do worse than I do :D

Cheers and thanks for keeping this game alive after so long!
Juski
Kuski

Post by Juski »

Nice to see some new sensible ppl around ehre, not just noobs that spams the crap out of this place!

And the thing about exaggerated targety times? if you have much worse the beginner times then there is barely any motivation needed to improv. :)
No regrets Image
Are you LOST?
petsen
Meetsen

Post by petsen »

damn DamRho, I like you already, such nice and sensible way of writing, and as juble said NO spamming and such.. very nice, welcome to the scene, have some fun and were looking forward to see more of you at #across #battle and ofcourse on moposite/lauta :)

petsen of RDK
Proud Member Of RDK
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Finally a new guy around with some sense... not like some others ( *cough* *point some other guys* *cough again* )....
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
Sparrow
Kuski

Post by Sparrow »

yeah. he really is coal guy. just didn't say what was his nationality. maybe he is serbian, that would be coal :)
but liek 5% chances 4 that :(
DamRho
Kuski

Post by DamRho »

Actually I'm from Portugal. Don't know how I missed that lol
ribot
Not banned

Post by ribot »

if you play very much in the world cup you can get a good position and you will become really good. this means sick amount of playing and is not worth it at all. good luck.
-
"leader status in the Elma against-the-system underground" - Abula
-
IncrElastoMania - Elma Simulation - Browser Game 2020
Elma Imager - Command Line Tool 2020
H8
Kuski

Post by H8 »

Truth to say, i had just the same experience when entering the sites this autumn, and as i saw the recs, i too was shocked 8O
But now i'm starting to get at least some of the pro styles, you will soon too!
41:47,70
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

DamRho:
Moposite wrote:Mail your state.dat to records@moposite.com. You must tell the name you're using in the state (for example I use Lassi in state.dat but my nick is Abula so you must tell both of those), Elma nick, nationality and possible team. No bug times allowed. You don't have to write levels or times or the lists you want to get into. In case some of your times are suspicious, a replay on them might be asked. Be sure you have some records in some lists. Also rename the state.dat to "nick.dat" where nick is your own nick so Karlis will use "karlis.dat" and Chris Penrose "chris penrose.dat".
So, go to your elma folder, copy the state.dat and rename it to damrho.dat and sent it to the adress with your info, (the nick you use in elma, your nationality, your team if you have one)
aavv
Kuski

Post by aavv »

heh, while i was reading that 1st post i had a wild guess that this was a portuguese guy writing, maybe something about the syntax

boa sorte (e estudas em que fac, já agora?)

[edit: before some mod rambles, i said good luck and asked in which uni he is studying at : x ]
Last edited by aavv on 24 Mar 2005, 10:36, edited 1 time in total.
aavv
Kuski

Post by aavv »

btw to submit your times follow the instructions on the right hand column of http://www.moposite.com/records.php
DamRho
Kuski

Post by DamRho »

Hi again,

Thanks for the info, my only doubt was if some sort of registration was required for first entrants or something... You know just so someone doesn't suddenly get out of the smoke and break records and stuff like that hehe Could be a little suspicious... not that I'm breaking any world records here... :?

aavv, estudo na FCUP :wink:
dudek
Kuski

Post by dudek »

aavv wrote:já agora?
well, "agora" means some kind of "market" in ancient Greek (language) :)
(Btw, nice to see some Portuguese words here ...)
sierra
39mins club

Post by sierra »

Which levels do you have world top ten times in? Sounds almost impossible that somebody could reach top ten without first watching mopo replays.
[OMG] | [SpEF] | Apparently my TT was once 39:26:06
J-sim
39mins club

Post by J-sim »

sierra wrote:Which levels do you have world top ten times in? Sounds almost impossible that somebody could reach top ten without first watching mopo replays.
If you read more carefully he means top10 nationaly...
Pertti
Kuski

Post by Pertti »

hi, and welcome!

omg i just realised: DamRho is like DarM and ho is like "ho ho ho you suckers dont reconize me!" 8O 8O 8O
http://www.petitiononline.com/0815/petition.html
In the name of our ancestors, sign it damnit!
Or do you want to let teh untermensch rule our life?
Sparrow
Kuski

Post by Sparrow »

u are max paranoid
aavv
Kuski

Post by aavv »

DamRho, aqui flul ;) Diz ao teu amigo para mandar os tempos dele também.
[i study at flul. tell your frind to send his times too]

Dudek, agora is like not only the market but also the main square and the place where ancient greeks used to discuss public stuff. Means 'now' in portuguese, though. :P to depict greek agora we say ágora.
i'm thinking: if everyone who wanted could write here in their own language as long as they provided an english translation, sometimes it would avoid miscomprehension etc. Abula?

anyway good luck damrho
Pertti
Kuski

Post by Pertti »

now I had balls to read all the text, so, I want to say that your headbanger record must be pretty smooth run, becouse you dont use the pipe. yes, the world records are impressive, but remember, you dont always need to be the best player. ;)

when you think your times are good, then you are good enough. thats what I think. people say I'm a farsunder becouse of that, but thats not stopping me, is it? :P
twipley
Kuski

Post by twipley »

You're a fast guy Pertti :lol: Hope that echoes in your playin'!

DamRho, please let me say this: Welcome Home! 8)
If you put heart in that like you said (But I didn't read all your Long Post), you will soon become a good playa (kuski! :P ) !
Pertti
Kuski

Post by Pertti »

twipley wrote:You're a fast guy Pertti :lol: Hope that echoes in your playin'!
:lol:

But dont let that make you think I'm smart.
dudek
Kuski

Post by dudek »

aavv wrote:Dudek, agora is like not only the market but also the main square and the place where ancient greeks used to discuss public stuff. Means 'now' in portuguese, though. :P to depict greek agora we say ágora.
- well, you're right; however, I know it cause I study also teh ancient Greek (language) at teh uni ... :wink:
aavv wrote:if everyone who wanted could write here in their own language as long as they provided an english translation ...
- I'd find this very nice, max interesting 4 me!
OtorK
37mins club

Post by OtorK »

"teh ancient greek" sounds really cool :P :roll: , maybe you should use "the"
ribot
Not banned

Post by ribot »

is this topic about random posts or about your random post?
-
"leader status in the Elma against-the-system underground" - Abula
-
IncrElastoMania - Elma Simulation - Browser Game 2020
Elma Imager - Command Line Tool 2020
onlainari
Kuski

Post by onlainari »

Welcome welcome.

I agree with aavv about using other languages as long as english translation is there.

dudek&otork:

Vähän off-topiccia mutta tsekit kaatuuu tänään Teplicessäääää!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eremenko Jr. pistää pallon Cechin taakse 73minuutin kohdalla 17metristä!

(little off-topic but czech will go down today in Teplice!!!! Eremenko Jr. will put the ball behind Cech at 73rd minute from 17 meters!)
dudek
Kuski

Post by dudek »

:D Možná se mu to podaří, ale my každopádně vyhrajeme.
(Maybe he will manage to do that, but we'll win anyway.) :wink:
(However, Riihilahti was teh last Finnish player to beat Čech, wasn't he?)

Well, maybe some new topic should be created for this stuff, I admit (sry, ribot).
DamRho
Kuski

Post by DamRho »

Sorry for the late reply I've been spending the Easter season away...

I don't have any World Top 10 times like someone asked before, I have National Top 10 times (which isn't hard since there's really only 12 people with times on Moposite hehe).

As for Headbanger I don't use the pipe because I can't seem to get to the end of it without banging my head (suitly named level...)... I guess I need a little practice...

I won't be sending my times to Moposite just yet because everytime I play I seem to beat a couple of them so maybe I'll hold them off for a while or maybe I'll just send them now and send them again later... :P

Cheers
Juski
Kuski

Post by Juski »

DamRho, that is just plain stupid. You don't send your times to moposite to get your final results. Abula updates the times every other weekl, if everyone thought like you did we would maybe have 50 ppl in TT list.
No regrets Image
Are you LOST?
DamRho
Kuski

Post by DamRho »

Juski wrote:DamRho, that is just plain stupid. You don't send your times to moposite to get your final results. Abula updates the times every other weekl, if everyone thought like you did we would maybe have 50 ppl in TT list.
Yeah I've kind of realised that I sent in my times anyway :oops: lol
But a few of them, specially in the later levels which I haven't played that much (and a few of my most hated ones, like Animal Farm) have quite pathetic times (I had over 6 minutes on Apple Collector until yesterday because I had only played the level once!) :roll:
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

You mean Apple Harvest, but that's okay. :P
DamRho
Kuski

Post by DamRho »

tijsjoris wrote:You mean Apple Harvest, but that's okay. :P
LOL that's it :oops:
Crypt
Kuski

Post by Crypt »

lol your team is going to be ahead of my team DamRho!
TT ~ 50:42
jonsterion
Kuski

Post by jonsterion »

cool DamRho, I´m portuguese too :wink:
Would be nice to see u at #across #battle
good luck
belele
psteve
Kuski

Post by psteve »

Hi DamRho. *waves
I am a Flying Spaghetti Monsterian. My God has noodly appendage. The reduction in pirates is the cause of global warming.