Mopobattles (the resurrection)

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

sad but true. grats dz wtf.. :roll:
dz
first 39tt
Team: FM

Post by dz »

Sad to hear that it's over :(

Little by little all the great things are going away because we didn't get new game releases in time; I'm afraid an updated elma today would need a lot more than I expect to restart the scene as it was one day in the past.

Well what can I say, axxu would have passed me this year or maybe next year but seems that he was too slow 8)
Costya
Kuski

Post by Costya »

would be cool to resurrect mopobattes again coupled with belma
Scruffy the janitor
Kuski

Post by Scruffy the janitor »

yes, maybe it should be implemented in a year or 2 after everything else is done
Now hold on, Iron Joe...
zebra
Kuski
Team: TAP

Post by zebra »

1) belma is unreliable at the moment (temp server, berh mongoing),
2) mopobattles weren't a big success when they were arranged last time,
3) and I think I'll be busy with our upcoming cup... (i have already been designing one level about ~10 hours, you will see... :))
A winner of 4 GAA's (mc2 included), winner of mkup206, and a proud member of team TAP.
Play uni levels: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/uni.html
Homepage: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/elma.html
nick-o-matic
Kuski

Post by nick-o-matic »

dz wrote:Little by little all the great things are going away because we didn't get new game releases in time; I'm afraid an updated elma today would need a lot more than I expect to restart the scene as it was one day in the past.
Well I think new Elma would be a news bomb only for old Elma players - and most of them have already grown up, maybe got a job and maybe even got married and so on so we cant except them to return with same intense as they used to play in the old days.

Anyway, Elma has huge potential and only if more people would know about this game, we would get A LOT of new players! And that's what we need to keep the scene alive.

And what it comes into mopobattles: mopobattles? haven't even heard of them before. So maybe they wouldn't have died with better advertising. Or maybe I'm just as out of everything as I usually am :)
zebra
Kuski

Post by zebra »

I think that the new elma version what we all have been waiting for is belma. At least I don't need anything else to be added to elma. If you think about some new features in the bike behaviour, they are not wanted. New internals? Just pick a new levelpack from some page. Online playing? Yep, that's cool and that's what we've got. I just hope that milagros and skint0r will finish their job and get a final release working on a decent server some day. At that day I can think about starting mopobattles again.

And I think, nick-o-matic, you weren't at the scene when mopobattles were arranged last time. And I think that they were good enough advertised: here in mopolauta, moposite and irc.
A winner of 4 GAA's (mc2 included), winner of mkup206, and a proud member of team TAP.
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

nick-o-matic wrote:Anyway, Elma has huge potential and only if more people would know about this game, we would get A LOT of new players! And that's what we need to keep the scene alive.
I'm pretty sure that's not true, like every guy who owns a computer have tried elma, many people know about this game, we just never hear of most of them.

Anyway I would also love if mopobattles returned, but as zebra said it's probably best waiting till belma works better. Also maybe make some feature so they can be arranged at a precise time. In 8balls one life cup the battles were often delayed because of other battles going on.
nick-o-matic
Kuski

Post by nick-o-matic »

zebra wrote:And I think, nick-o-matic, you weren't at the scene when mopobattles were arranged last time. And I think that they were good enough advertised: here in mopolauta, moposite and irc.
Heh okay :)
Kopaka wrote:I'm pretty sure that's not true, like every guy who owns a computer have tried elma, many people know about this game, we just never hear of most of them.
Well from trying Elma is pretty long way to finding the scene. So many suckier games than Elma are popular so imo we could have millions of players only if really everyone would know Elma and belma and mopolauta and #across (#across maybe won't come first to your mind if you are looking for Elasto Mania irc channel btw)

Ofc every computer owner won't try Elma though but we should try hook as many as we can. Some <100 active players is pretty poor imo O_o
zebra
Kuski

Post by zebra »

I have been thinking exactly the same, the better advertising. But don't advertise belma yet, we have enough problems already with it. First we have to have the server (like i already said) and good instructions for noobs.
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Yes, i have to agree with Kopaka... i daresay 80% of Australia that owns a Computer has played Elma at some point, but yet there's only some 35 in the TT list, i wonder why? =P

you know, if we can like... raise enough money to advertise for instance, on programs such as Swiftswitch (big runescape client thing with millions of visitors per day) or just everyday game sites such as the Tribal Wars one (hundreds of Ks per day, blah blah blah)

Elma could get over like 1000 Active members!
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Re: Mopobattles (the resurrection)

Post by Orcc »

Resurrect mopobattles again please. Surely there are battles running all the time already, but it would be max to see all the pro kuskis compete against one another now and then. THE battles wins that really count.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Agree! Also, perhaps it could be organized as a cup with a certain number of events - we all know by now that a new World Cup won't happen anytime soon, but perhaps Mopobattles could be resurrected in a sort of Battle World Cup?
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
zebra
Kuski

Post by zebra »

Do you expect me to do the resurrection? :) It could be possible though.

There are two possibilities:
- in EOL
- in IRC with some battlebot

But there are some problems in arranging it in IRC like old good times: we don't have any battlebot anymore and it would be impossible to detect saveload. That means basically that is has to be arranged in EOL.

So it would be like this:
- once in a week in EOL
- preannounced time
- levs and recs would be downloadable on some site afterwards

Pros:
- I think we could get lots of people online
- Level quality could be better than average

Cons:
- not so much difference to normal battles
- impossible to arrange at certain time because of other battles.Or at least ongoing battles would have to be aborted.
- not easy to add to old mopobattle statistics system

Ideas? Comments?
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Couldn't it be possible to arrange it as a cup in EOL? Or doesn't that feature work?

Anyway, if it becomes popular enough (as it should), then everyone would know the time and anticipate battles then. I think people automatically would not start battles at the time the Mopobattle is to be arranged, at least not very long battles so there would be a big queue build-up.
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

At first I was thinking about using the cup-system as well. The problem is that I don't think it hides kuskis automatically? There are always some guys who cruise non-hidden and that sucks.

I don't see a problem putting mopobattle as normal battle either, that's the way 1h tt competition is also started. The starting time just isn't exact because of other battles, but it's close enough. Also if there's a long queue it shouldn't be a problem to abort battles in it, people can battle them later just as well. At least I hope we can get these to be the most appreciated battles of all and thus make people understand why regular battles can be aborted :)
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
zebra
Kuski

Post by zebra »

Cup mode still has couple of problems. When I tested the cup mode last February, I found the following problems: http://mopolauta.moposite.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7175
As far as I know, most of those problems still exist. So I would go for battle mode.
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Resurrection would be nice indeed.

Yep cup feature is way to buggy to be usable for anything. Besides you can only make event length in 1 hour intervals.

I agree with Orcc that 1htt's has been working well in spite of having to start them as battles, so I think that should be possible with mopobattles aswell.

So some mopobattle arranger could just copy results from eol into some mopobattle page, if wanted to do that. But that's a lot of work ofcourse. Quite possible to make some admin interface on eol page where arranger can put in id's of mopobattles and then make some nice automatic stats from there. Then it's just a matter of merging with the old stats, which could be done with some script that reads the .txt files and converts to sql, like we did with old moposite internal stats. But maybe the important thing now is just to get it started and stats and merging etc. can be done "later".

I really like the idea of battles as a cup aswell, but maybe let mopobattles be what they are, and make the battle cup as something else entirely.
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

Actually couple of hours battles are something that should be tried out, or one day battle, whatever. If ppl remember that testcup by zebra when people höyled the first event to max, just because times were visible and everyone knew there is just a few days time(?). I mean, always we just played either a) battles b) cups, whatever between has never been tried out, at least I dont remember anything like that. Anyways the good old "serious" battles would be nice