Elasto Mania Speedrun

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

dropper
Beginner kuski

Elasto Mania Speedrun

Post by dropper »

I was thinking about why nobody has an official speedrun of elma. Is it because the hoyled times are all that matters? Is it enough with 1htt? Is it too random? I think it would be fun to see speedun as a new kind of contest where you is supposed to finish all 54 internals as fast as possible, it could easily be recorded with fraps. What do you think?

//dropper
dz
first 39tt
Team: FM

Post by dz »

FRAPS, yes. Is elma finally compatible with FRAPS these days? That would be quite an interesting idea after all if possibility of cheating isnt too high.
Rez
Kuski

Post by Rez »

would skipping levs be allowed?
dropper
Beginner kuski

Post by dropper »

dz: I'm not 100% sure how elma will work with fraps but it cant be impossible to get it clean if that's what you meant?

Rez: Well that's one thing we can discuss, Maby it will be more strategic and more fair if skipping is an option?
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Well, there could be speedruns with and without skipping...

But, it would be more normal not being able to skip levels. Anyway, the skipped levels will pretty much be the same for everyone : Apple Harvest, Labyrinth Pro, Zig Zag, Animal Farm, Tricks Abound, New Wave, Upside down. ( not all of them, max of 5 )
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

I tried fraps once and got a 300Mb file for about 40 secs :X
J-sim
39mins club

Post by J-sim »

why bring skipping up anyways? it just takes time to skip and chose another level, we aren't talking about 1hrtt here where you have to be strategic...

but anyways i think 1hrtt is a lot more fun than what this seems to be.
dunedan
Kuski

Post by dunedan »

J-sim wrote:why bring skipping up anyways? it just takes time to skip and chose another level, we aren't talking about 1hrtt here where you have to be strategic...

but anyways i think 1hrtt is a lot more fun than what this seems to be.
I think he meant, to skip completely. Not skip, then going back and play again.
//dun
43 mins
Juski
Kuski

Post by Juski »

there have been speedrun competionons on 6 first internals which abula ruled on fem04 i think or maybe it was JEM anyway if yuo wanna find uot about thoose search lauta or soemthing.
No regrets Image
Are you LOST?
onlainari
Kuski

Post by onlainari »

http://www.moposite.com/meetings/2005_j ... /index.php

There's FEM's 6 first internals contests results :X

I think 1h tt is very close to the speedrun of 54 levels.
Recording 1hour with any external capturing program takes max of your harddrive. If one could set up elma on tv and record it to VHS cassette and then try divx it or smth is maybe the most reasonable way to do it, but I think these kind of contests will stay in a shadow 'til we get an internal program to record your playing or when online gaming becomes reality.
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

John wrote:I tried fraps once and got a 300Mb file for about 40 secs :X
The video can be later on packed with a codec, but you really need pretty much disk space to capture almost one hour of raw video. At least I couldn't get Fraps working with elma, it does show the fps but doesn't capture video.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

Orcc wrote:
John wrote:I tried fraps once and got a 300Mb file for about 40 secs :X
The video can be later on packed with a codec, but you really need pretty much disk space to capture almost one hour of raw video. At least I couldn't get Fraps working with elma, it does show the fps but doesn't capture video.
Elma + Fraps works for me. My PC sucks so it's laggy to play when recording, but recs works fine :P
<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
<yoosef> zworqy doesnt suck at anything
twipley
Kuski

Post by twipley »

usually in sppedruns they are choices:

like-

100% completion (meaning all the levs)

or Completion (with choice of skipping the longer ones)

in elma we usually do speeedruns of individual levels. like mine in warm up is 14:2x

but doing of the whole should be interesting, but before capturing it you have to think you do the WR. I have no idea what time the pros would achieve... under 50 would be very hard for me, but for t0r might be possible if he can succeed all the easy tricks . if you any pros out there who can run super mario under 6mins or some other nes games we might have to start a new topic too

edit: I think it's very easy to cheat using a program that captures video files, because you can always edit your movie afterwards (of what I know), but saying your time should be enough for now. bcuz' they could try to organise whole-elma speedruns in future elma meetings, if they wanna see who can do best. but some shortcuts are no good to be used that way, ...only if you have the guts to (maybe) waste your run, like in serpent's tale, ...AH

50= real good
GMan
Kuski

Post by GMan »

I can do SMB 1 under 7 minutes, SMB 2 suxors, SMB 3 can do the 11 minutes run up till World 8, then its too hard. And I can do Super Mario 64 in 42 minutes (I cant do the rabbit trick... :cry: )

Yea... :roll:

</offtopic>

Perhaps there could be "sets". Like Set A would be the first ten level's, then Set B would be would be 11-20 and so on. And maybe special sets, like a "long set" where you do the longer level's (>1 minute), like: New Wave, Upside Down [close enough], Animal Farm, Labyrinth Pro, Double Trouble, and Apple Harvest.

Eh? :?:

EDIT: 42 minutes, not 32 :x
Last edited by GMan on 11 Jul 2005, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.
Boomer
39mins club
Team: LOS

Post by Boomer »

GMan wrote:I cant do the rabbit trick...
Yes, it's so hard. Can't make it.. :( But the stairs are easy.. =)
Team LOS website

<jaytea> uh milk was invented in 1966
-
<teh_mila> bah, fucked up nice labpro ride cause i almost fell of the chair:)
Revolt
Kuski

Post by Revolt »

Boomer wrote:
GMan wrote:I cant do the rabbit trick...
Yes, it's so hard. Can't make it.. :( But the stairs are easy.. =)
What is the Rabbit Trick?
hi
pedro
Kuski

Post by pedro »

What is the Rabbit Trick?
It's a trick that allows you to bring the rabbit into another room and using it to get through the star door without enough stars. I myself have done it a few times but it is pretty hard to do consistently. I timed myself once a finished the whole game in about 45 mins =)
TT=44:59:63
proud member of team [MK]

SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

This thread is not about Super Mario.
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
Dynamo
38mins club

Post by Dynamo »

SveinR wrote:This thread is not about Super Mario.
well said i agree

btw i tried doing this 'elma speed run' a few days ago to try it out and finished all the levels (without skipping) in around 1 hour and 20 mins....though i did it by looking at my clock periodically....

i made it to headbanger in under 30 mins but the last 25 levs were too intense :oops:

by level 50 i was at 1:10 so really crappy ending (especially trix and AH)

i pansied it on laby pro (5 mins) and stuck a nice time on sink (33.06 only on 6th try)

kinda fun but unless ur crazy, its more of a once-in-a-lifetime thing imho

for sure, the best person for this would be neone who hoyls lots with old school/safe styles...it was quite hard for me to beat headbanger and apple harvest bcuz im so used to playing the levs with harder styles....neways ill shut up now...this has been my longest post in a month :roll:
Total Time: 38:35,14
Juski
Kuski

Post by Juski »

well the best person for this job would prolly be ramone, the only one as far as i know that have completed all levels in 1htt prolly is several others that have done that too :X
No regrets Image
Are you LOST?
jaytea
37mins club

Post by jaytea »

zweq did it during an online 1 hr tt i think (he got 49.xx) and markku did it at FEM (54.xx). i assume tor would also be able to, and ye probably a few other internalist bangos
Raven
Moporator
Team: MiE

Post by Raven »

What is fraps?
Seize the day
Rez
Kuski

Post by Rez »

Raven
Moporator
Team: MiE

Post by Raven »

thx, maybe i test it too :lol:
Seize the day
Pertti
Kuski

Post by Pertti »

One guy, Rautakanki, a nice TK4 fellow was making a elma film with fraps but he couldn't finish it for some reason. Anyway, it should be possible to make elma film using fraps.

If you ever start making it, please put some damn good music to it... :)
http://www.petitiononline.com/0815/petition.html
In the name of our ancestors, sign it damnit!
Or do you want to let teh untermensch rule our life?
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

would be nice to see some elma movie with trick highlights just like the fraghighlights in cs-videos
Dynamo
38mins club

Post by Dynamo »

John wrote:would be nice to see some elma movie with trick highlights just like the fraghighlights in cs-videos
fack i was JUST thinking about this yesterday.....making a vid of all of the best trix on internals and maybe some nice external recs too....the song would be "All These Things That I've Done" by The Killers ez :wink:
Total Time: 38:35,14
dz
first 39tt
Team: FM

Post by dz »

John wrote:would be nice to see some elma movie with trick highlights just like the fraghighlights in cs-videos
There are couple of such already, advertized also at lauta. Short ones and not that good though.
twipley
Kuski

Post by twipley »

Would be cool to make up individual levels speedruns videos and to post them at the Speed Demos Archive site.

They have a forum; I think that might be the right place to advertise, for example, a low-time Headbanger - they don't know the game, of course.