Are people born with Elma höyling skills?

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

zworqy
Kuski

Are people born with Elma höyling skills?

Post by zworqy »

Do you think (some) people are born with höyling skills, or is it just a question of practice?

I'm pretty sure some ppl have höyling skills from birth and some don't, that's the only reason i can think of for why I'm not better than I am after all those years of Elma practice.

:?
Last edited by zworqy on 7 Sep 2005, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.
<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
<yoosef> zworqy doesnt suck at anything
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

I don't think anyone is born with the talent...

But some are born with the passion of elma
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
Ramzi
37mins club

Post by Ramzi »

i heav skills to cook eggs ,max ez :?

Nobody heav skills to elma from birth.I think if u r playing longer and longer then u are better.
TT: 37.5x.xx|||| TeaM : [GF]
Juski
Kuski

Post by Juski »

not elma skillz, you might be born with höyling skillz in other words you might be a person that have easier to commit to very unspecial things like elma =) or just passion and some kind of geometrical thinking
No regrets Image
Are you LOST?
crazyevildude
Kuski

Post by crazyevildude »

Hmm...You could be born with naturally faster reflex which would help. Maybe more natural patience would help with hoyling. But Patience is probably a more to do with enviroment and upbringing than genetics.

But I suppose to a certain degree some people are naturally able to become more skilled at it.
Olliz
Kuski

Post by Olliz »

You might have the "nintendo thumbs".. And you might have realized that some people are better than you, even if you pick the game. They just are better playing videogames! The reflexes, position of fingers on the controller, all matters. And the passion of course.
twipley
Kuski

Post by twipley »

I was good at games, usually, but this game, when I saw it, I knew it was my type of game
sierra
39mins club

Post by sierra »

FFS! This is overlapping very much with an article I wrote for moposite that Abula hasn't published yet.

If anyone's interested I might as well upload it now then, here it is
[OMG] | [SpEF] | Apparently my TT was once 39:26:06
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

I believe some ppl have more talent for elma than others, ofcourse this can be because they have talent/skill for some other things like mentioned above.
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

its' not about hoyling skill, it's about skill beeing patient
and i've got it
i can play one lev for weeks without even finish it without getting angry
it has nothing to do with 'elma skill' which i don't have (or atleast far from those best ones)
[carebox]
CMc
39mins club

Post by CMc »

I think some can be born with the skill for elma. Some guys just understand the physics of the bike, whichs make them natural at it. (Toringe, Zweg...) for example. Not sure if they were born with it, but it sure seems like it.
TT: 39:43:40

CMc's Elma Site: 100+ levels, PTL, Hoyla, and Pipe pack. And alot of other crap. http://www.freewebs.com/cmcelma/
Napoleon
Kuski

Post by Napoleon »

no people are definitely not born with skilz
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

@Sierra: I couldn't open it, I don't have word or perfect. Abula once said to me that he will update no elma stuff until maintenance work is finished. That's why the looong delay. Ask abula for details.

I think it's especially the dedication for a game. You can be talented but not have the patience to practise. Competing with other friends sure helps.

And then you have these other critical things. We are almost all born with two hands and ten fingers. But some have taller than others. Or thinner. All these things in mind, you shouldn't forget the last factor. That is spare time. Being social or not. That kind of stuff.
Raven
Moporator
Team: MiE

Post by Raven »

i hav passion of teh elma
Seize the day
sierra
39mins club

Post by sierra »

can i add that the title of this topic doesn't really make sense... "höyling skills" is a confusing term, since höylä power and raw skill are separate entities. What is "höyling skill"? The ability to play a lot? Anybody can höyl. On the other hand virtually nobody can have pure Elma skill.

I think people aren't reading my article :/
sierra
39mins club

Post by sierra »

double post
Last edited by sierra on 9 Sep 2005, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.
sierra
39mins club

Post by sierra »

triple post :)

lauta was fucking up ok sorry
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

sierra wrote:can i add that the title of this topic doesn't really make sense... "höyling skills" is a confusing term, since höylä power and raw skill are separate entities. What is "höyling skill"? The ability to play a lot? Anybody can höyl. On the other hand virtually nobody can have pure Elma skill.

Over the years, "höyling" has lost it's original meaning for me, "playing lots and lots".

Now it simply means "playing elma", so höyling skills = Elma skills.
Last edited by zworqy on 9 Sep 2005, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.
sierra
39mins club

Post by sierra »

zworqy wrote:
sierra wrote:can i add that the title of this topic doesn't really make sense... "höyling skills" is a confusing term, since höylä power and raw skill are separate entities. What is "höyling skill"? The ability to play a lot? Anybody can höyl. On the other hand virtually nobody can have pure Elma skill.

Over the years, "höyling" has lost it's original meaning, "playing lots and lots".

Now it simply means "playing elma", so höyling skills = Elma skills.
Wow... just... wow. I give up, not even gonna try anymore
dz
first 39tt
Team: FM

Post by dz »

zworqy's signiature wrote:<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
sierra
39mins club

Post by sierra »

Not at all what I meant
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

I was just explaining the title, it's just my opinion, not (necessarily) the absolute truth.

Edit: I edited my previous post, hopefully less presumptious and condescending now.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I think, now I read sierra's article on moposite, clearly states the difference between höyl and skill.

It was a clear text to read, well formulated, not confusing. Certainly you have a good feel for retaining one solid writing style.

And although indeed there were a lot gaps filled with speculation, it could contain the answer of why zworqy lacks "Elma Skill":

Physically you aren't able to repeat a good sequence of buttons flawlessly, and mentally you don't have the skill to calculate alternative sequences on the fly.

But that's what I think.
ribot
Not banned

Post by ribot »

this is a stupid topic.

some ppl are born with greater latency for doing things. but the greater reason for achievement is based on action. you need to actively try the best tricks until you make them. even better result if you think it's fun or inspiring to do it. lest elma.
-
"leader status in the Elma against-the-system underground" - Abula
-
IncrElastoMania - Elma Simulation - Browser Game 2020
Elma Imager - Command Line Tool 2020
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

not born with teh, find another excuse, zworgy :P
39:37,91
Jeppe
39mins club

Post by Jeppe »

i have no skill :( i mast play 24/7 to accomplish something t0r and zweq do in few triez.
CMc
39mins club

Post by CMc »

BarTek wrote:I knew when i was little i had certain ease to complete various games while my friends didnt. So i guess i hame "skill" in that area wich involves eye-hand cordination and so on...

Elma is just one of the games, i wonder if those who are good players (tor zweq etc) are good in drawing or music perhaps? Maybe the ability to make most use of the "creative" brianhalf benefits the playing. I think so, maybe dunno.

Doesnt matter if you have calculating talent for styles and so on, you must in the end be able to make those tricks yourself.

But for the sake of this thread lets turn the tables and ask yourself this instead; why are some ppl just better at drawing than others? Much easier to answer, something we all came across in our younger lifes, and something we can relate to. Yet no direct answer there to be said, so why should we even think we can solve the "elma skill" topic?
Nicely said BarTek, sooo deep.
TT: 39:43:40

CMc's Elma Site: 100+ levels, PTL, Hoyla, and Pipe pack. And alot of other crap. http://www.freewebs.com/cmcelma/
twipley
Kuski

Post by twipley »

what teh. "eye-hand" coordination and physical skills... that's bull *&$@

that's the psyche, more precisely the imagination, and that's all the skill it takes. you got to think ahead of your bike to find the way

that measures with the use of external levels
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

BarTek, with calculating styles sierra meant the ability to do certain harder parts in a level more often, just because the brain can calculate the actions quicker.
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

i think it's about psychic
those guys which are better and used to do more wrs don't get that much excited and stay calm after making hard part
i can say that i would have bowling wr a few times if i don't miss some apple but the fact is that if i take all of them and i'm also fast enough i would fuck up it almost for sure
ye, i'm noob
[carebox]