Battles killed external level packs?

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

I may be wrong, but I started to feel that ppl don´t play external packs anymore. Ppl play battles instead. That is boring. Just play battles that are almost always under 15 mins. Levels are the most fun when ppl continiue to play them, when new styles and tricks come to play...

Back before I played battles there were packs. And those were what we played... seems to me as most packs are more or less dead! It´s nice with Mopobattles but #battle channel is really just gay... ppl just go there and play. And care to win most battles and stuff. I really think this is a negative development of elma. Personally I am inactive in both battles and packs atm... but the most fun I had with elma was definately with externals in packs.

Of course battles are fun and I played many and I had great fun with it.. but feels as it has totally run over other external parts of elma.

Anyone agree?
Elasto Mania - ez better
berhabdul
Banned

Post by berhabdul »

Me.
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

I guess I pretty much agree with you that that has been the development.. but there really should be room for both battles and level packs..
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
J-sim
39mins club

Post by J-sim »

isn't there some hoyling going on with Xhomas AI pack and that ADLP pack?

Or maybe you should beat some of the times on the more established packs like skints levs or something like that. maybe if ppl get their times beaten they will start playing again? maybe moposite needs to update their external records more often ie lost internals. or maybe moposite should try making a new external pack!
dz
first 39tt
Team: FM

Post by dz »

Playing regular level packs is getting very old as a concept. Battling offers so much more, most importantly variety of levels, every level is unseen and different which makes it really fascinating and challenging. Also, playing external packs is really time consuming and records are difficult to reach, at least in popular packs (and who wants to play unknown packs very much?) while playing a battle everybody can success. It's true, I've seen jaytea win a battle once!

Personally, I love playing battles most in elma. I can't explain why that is so, it just is that way.
Xhomaz
Kuski
Team: LOS

Post by Xhomaz »

My experience after quite some years as a holder of a site with external levpacks, there are 3 things that are important to make your site a success.

1: You have to make quality levels to make people play.
2: It helps if the website itself is good-looking.
3: The site have to be constantly updated.

Personally, I fail at the last point there, usually only 1-2 updates per month. But at the same time I'm getting i crapload of replays sent to me every week, so it seems that the popularity of my packs is still there (especially AI levels). But I know it requires lots of work to get people play ext levpacks nowadays, probably because there are a vast number of random levelpacks everywhere, and sadly the quality of most of these packs are rather poor.

Anyway, it seems to me that mainly there are different people playing levpacks and battles, and the battle playing group is quite bigger than the extpack group.
Team LOS website
I'll stop stabbing when you stop screaming
MP
Hat Tricker²

Post by MP »

aah ramone :* ..I totally agree
Position in wc | total time | site | hi
cyre
Kuski

Post by cyre »

My interest towards levpacks died when i had played skint's levs for many months and had managed to beat some of the records, which was a big deal for me, i sent them in and it took 6 months until next update, and obviously i no longer had any records then. :cry:

For this, i shall never forgive skint0r.

Pls update your lev packs ppl.
"Fool me seven times, shame on you. Fool me eight or more times, shame on me."
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

I don't think that battles are taking over levelpacks but, they are sure more interesting than levelpacks nowadays. No one really came out with original or good levelpacks since a quite long time. The last good one i can remember is the IFLP ( by TAP ).

But, wait until Christmas, a pack made out of the collaboration of 2 designers will come out... :wink:
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
CMc
39mins club

Post by CMc »

I assume that the 2 designers will be you and someone else. If thats the case, I assume there will be pipes in it???...and if thats the case, I hope I assume right!
TT: 39:43:40

CMc's Elma Site: 100+ levels, PTL, Hoyla, and Pipe pack. And alot of other crap. http://www.freewebs.com/cmcelma/
Jake
Kuski

Post by Jake »

actually it´s risky to put pipe in level pack,i would never recommend it.
<MACHINE[]> Zrex is graded ULTIMATE-NOLIFER |8==o~~|
700 battle wins Club - Proud member of TLR - Proud member of #coffee

Reached 10M points in ranks and decided to quit so
Zrex is now known as Jake.
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

I think what ramone says is quite true. And as previously mentioned in the thread, updating frequency and stuff like that is quite important. (Sorry cyre ;D). I think having some freewebs template type site that all look like each other can contribute to lack of players too.

I just started remaking my site to make an automated system for records, hopefully that will help a bit for my levels at least. I think most people hate having to email records and write their times, as they're too lazy. They can spend countless hours playing your levels, but taking a few minutes to send an email with the records seems impossible for some.
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

Well, i hoyled ALP, AI, Lost, plenty of russian levpacks. My times and recs are quite quality etc etc.... but now, after 3 years i became bored of hoyling levpacks. It isnt so hard, but it eats lots of time and NOT FUN AT ALL, because all good levpacks are max hoyled already.
Thats why i waste my time battling all the time. Max 10-15 mins per level, quite good levs often (especially Rasken's :) ), pipes sometimes..... just everything "ANpDaD teh lazy ass" needs.
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

even the best level packs dont beat #battle in fun factor, actually not even close
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

skint0r wrote:I think most people hate having to email records and write their times, as they're too lazy. They can spend countless hours playing your levels, but taking a few minutes to send an email with the records seems impossible for some.
somehow, I am like this... it is kinda annoying to be liek this.. cant say why... just.. mailing is so boring..argh

I am the same when it comes to making levels... I make tons of levels... but I never organize them or know where they are... or giving them names or try to make something of them... I accually put some work to sort them all... then I weeded them down to 100... dunno if I will ever make somethout out of this.... if I will ever use them or if ppl will play them or if I will make a site... I had a pack ready before even named all levels and all but then nothing happened... some levels of that pack is still here for the possible new pack.... Blah... stupid ballebot makes battles so easy and an easy way out for all us lazy kuskis.

blah!
Battles and battles and battles and battles and battles and nothing else?
Elasto Mania - ez better
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

ramone wrote:Battles killed external level packs?
YES.

fuck battles
<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
<yoosef> zworqy doesnt suck at anything
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Plz make new levelpack ramone, such good memories from Fake levs :))
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
Jake
Kuski

Post by Jake »

Battling is exciting when ppl are playing against each other at the same time and you can see results right after battle ends.höyling level pack is like wait week or 2 to see who made the best time and u never know if someone else has played the pack,takes sometime and u might feel like ok no one else is playing these levs why should i continue playing?

Fact of life -> Noob can win battle,but can´t make wr in any quality/höyled lev pack (SNTL,Skint,Alp,Olp,you name the rest)

tip for noobs -> battling improves skills quite much and fast so maybe better play those first before even starting to play some quality lev packs where wr´s are pretty much höyled.

skintor:tlr is playing a bit of skints again,and we have made couple wr´s already :*

wrote those sentences max fast so i´m not even sure is there any sense :D
<MACHINE[]> Zrex is graded ULTIMATE-NOLIFER |8==o~~|
700 battle wins Club - Proud member of TLR - Proud member of #coffee

Reached 10M points in ranks and decided to quit so
Zrex is now known as Jake.
1phatman1
Kuski

Post by 1phatman1 »

I think both are awesome!

Battle is fun because even if your a n00b like me you can play with markku :P. There is more variety on levels, can you can chat while your playing, watch hardcores play (luther, axxu, john, markku etc) and have fun!

External levelpacks are great because you get to play what you want, when you want, and you can "achieve" records :P Externalizing would be better if people updated there sites more often!
I Don't Know Much About Anything, But You CAN Go Visit My Site If You Want To!!
Jeppe
39mins club

Post by Jeppe »

having a lev pack that only juish has played ;_; yhyy
Ky.Jelly
Flood to teh MAX

Post by Ky.Jelly »

SveinR wrote:Plz make new levelpack ramone, such good memories from Fake levs :))
ye ramone, come on do teh fakier levels pack, shall be awesome
[10:51:18] <skint0r> i could SACh see KyJelly working at ICA ;D
[10:51:37] <skint0r> "vad kostar denna?" "wtf ch0b0"
Thursday, March 2nd 2005, 0942 i was 3333 [4.43% of total / 3.25 posts per day]
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

where can i get fake levz?
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
Juski
Kuski

Post by Juski »

Why don't you do that in private or post in original topic?

Was supposed to be sum imitation of random moporator but guess that didnt work ot so well ;_; but anyway i just wanted to give link to topic and wanted someone to reupload levels ;)
No regrets Image
Are you LOST?
MagnusB
Kuski

Post by MagnusB »

30 minutes is about as long as I can stand to play a single level, so no, I don't agree.

Unless, of course, it's a really good level that just keeps on giving and giving, but those are pretty rare.