Can one survive after changing elma key settings?

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

dz
first 39tt
Team: FM

Can one survive after changing elma key settings?

Post by dz »

I got a new cordless keyboard (Logitech EX100) and it's really cool but I have the common problem: I can't use my normal key settings because it's too much for this keyboard.

Anyway, I read some of you have had to change their settings for the same reason. What were your keys earlier and to what did you change them? Has some of you failed doing so? How long did it take to get used to it? Tell anything about this. I'm having a really hard time trying to find a good setting for me. Maybe I get good ideas here.
J-sim
39mins club

Re: Can one survive after changing elma key settings?

Post by J-sim »

dz wrote:I got a new cordless keyboard (Logitech EX100) and it's really cool but I have the common problem: I can't use my normal key settings because it's too much for this keyboard.

Anyway, I read some of you have had to change their settings for the same reason. What were your keys earlier and to what did you change them? Has some of you failed doing so? How long did it take to get used to it? Tell anything about this. I'm having a really hard time trying to find a good setting for me. Maybe I get good ideas here.
I made a transition from arrow keys to numpad, and it was a great one. It was really awkward to start with but certainly not harder than learning to play with centered camera. My hand rests a lot better on the keyboard when using the numpad keys, and now enter is easy accesible with the pinky finger => better hoyling.
Karlis
Höylä Optimus

Post by Karlis »

as im interested in hardware I decided to get good keyboard. After browsing hardware forums I ended up in Logitech UltraX Flat keyboard.

It was supposed to had everything: the best touch, fastest and most accurate, extra quiet, good looking etc etc. Ppl even said that it doesnt get jammed, no matter how many buttons you press simultaneously.

So I went and got that ultimate keyboard. Indeed it has MAX touch and everything, "ez wrs, ez wrs" I was thinking first.

..but but, of course something had to go wrong. Using any normal buttons at the same time didnt jam the keyboard but using left Alt did that! I tried to find some other button for my alias brake but my finger always kept coming back to that Alt-button. Impossible. I gave up.

UltraX Flat is now almost totally useless, its plugged to my second comp and I hardly ever even touch it, snif
Tomorrow's Lucky Run Solutions Today
Flowertouching Men
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

a little off topic, but why do you use alias brake?
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
Crazy
The Höylä

Post by Crazy »

Lukazz wrote:a little off topic, but why do you use alias brake?
I use it because I have only three fingers on the arrow keys, same finger for gas and brake. When you want to just tap the brake and still going for max gas it's much easier to do so with brake-alias.. At least for me..
ARTISTRY is in the eye of the Beholder -||- TT Höylä Mission: 10.48.43 -||- Best Times: Tutorial1 -||- höylä
Dynamo
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by Dynamo »

heh I use right ctrl for my alokey so brake alias ill have to make with left hand :(.....I've never tested it but ive always wondered how ppl are able to brake while gas is making noise in background hehe
Total Time: 38:35,14
Luther
37mins club
Team: ICE

Post by Luther »

Any keyboard but mine would be good atm. I should buy one soon, or else Ill have to go with infecteds key configuration :X
Nekit for president
jaytea
37mins club

Post by jaytea »

Dynamo wrote:ive always wondered how ppl are able to brake while gas is making noise in background hehe
i got into the habit of doing that a long time ago, now i pretty much overuse it :S what i got used to doing was tapping brake with the extension of my middle finger since i use the tip of the same finger for gas (arrow keys). it took a while to get used to but now i dont even think about it
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

jaytea wrote:
Dynamo wrote:ive always wondered how ppl are able to brake while gas is making noise in background hehe
i got into the habit of doing that a long time ago, now i pretty much overuse it :S what i got used to doing was tapping brake with the extension of my middle finger since i use the tip of the same finger for gas (arrow keys). it took a while to get used to but now i dont even think about it
exactly same

I dont think I could have patience/ability to learn to drive with new settings, keys are too much into spine now
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

i changed keys maybe 5 times and now play on different comps with different setting (different jams)
actually I dont have any problems with that, the keys are same only moved (translated)
maybe that's why i suck
[carebox]
dz
first 39tt

Post by dz »

Actually I tried many alternatives intensively and found out there was often some combination that would lock the keyboard, often it was that certain starting keys held I couldn't press enter or so. Because of this, and another bad thing about my new keyboard (changed home area key layout) I decided to switch back to my old keyb and now everything is ok. Even if the layout would have been normal I have a feeling I would not have been able to live with the change.
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

I can't really play well in other key settings than my own. Only semi good. I've tried to move alo to dif button (have it in §½) and use turn in other button as well. And tried to learn to press alo brake instead of down arrow. But impsy.

Now when I got my new laptop I tried again but no. It's totally different layout and touch but still I use the same keys. Laptop jams in some combinations :(. I have two ergoforce KeyTronics for if one breaks down.
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

When I play elma on laptop (which is rarely nowadays, and those ~9 months when laptop was main elma comp I plugged extern keyboard in) I use right ctrl for alo. Normally I use numpad 0. It's not a big problem for me to adjust to that every once in a while.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I'd really like to convert to numpad key settings, but it's so hard.
And when I change, I want to have a good change. What did zweq use again for his keys?
J-sim
39mins club

Post by J-sim »

tijsjoris wrote:I'd really like to convert to numpad key settings, but it's so hard.
And when I change, I want to have a good change. What did zweq use again for his keys?
as far as i remember he uses some of the keys just left of the return key. and some alias for brake...