Ballelma ruins Battle fun!

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

insane guy
Kuski

Ballelma ruins Battle fun!

Post by insane guy »

Hello!

I really like the ballelma patch and am very thankful to milagros for making online elma possible.
Although it is very much fun, recently I have the feeling that it kinda ruins the original feeling of battles.
In the past everybody started battles manually or with battlebots. It was sometimes annoying to alt-tab to write your times or check the others. Sometimes it was also hard to judge if some players were writing there times during the battles or were so called last-minute-bangos.
These problems are solved with ballelma, yeah!

This is what I dislike about the battles with ballelma nowadays:

- Nobody seems to care for replays anymore. Very often after a battle ended, when the winner is asked for the rec its just: "Uhhmm... I didn`t save..." This is very annoying in my opinion because watching the recs often is the most fun part of a battle (atleast for me).
- There is almost no conversation during or after the battles. For me as a levelmaker it is very cool to read some comments about the levs, whether they are good or not.
These facts lead to a certain feeling of an automatic, unpersonal battle machinery, which, in my opinion, doesn`t serve the original idea of battles.

I dont know if anything can be changed, an in-game chat would be very useful but if I recall correctly milagros said that its almost impossible to realize.

I don´t want people to stop playing ballelma, maybe just to keep up a few "traditions". Maybe a few battlers are feeling the same.

insguy
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

chat / automatic replay upload/download is ez
only don't have time nowadays
[carebox]
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

I agree with your points insguy, but there is also another aspect of normal battles that are absent from ballelma (quite naturally so). Which is having your own secret style that noone else has, and the excitement of seeing what great style Markku found. Perhaps there could be a possibility of having a setting on certain battles (Mopobattles, for instance) where the option of seeing the other players was disabled. But then again, that would ruin some of the point of the ballelma patch.
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

SveinR wrote:I agree with your points insguy, but there is also another aspect of normal battles that are absent from ballelma (quite naturally so). Which is having your own secret style that noone else has, and the excitement of seeing what great style Markku found. Perhaps there could be a possibility of having a setting on certain battles (Mopobattles, for instance) where the option of seeing the other players was disabled. But then again, that would ruin some of the point of the ballelma patch.
There already is an option for making battles with hidden opponents.
<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
<yoosef> zworqy doesnt suck at anything
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

zworqy wrote: There already is an option for making battles with hidden opponents.
*goes to hide in a corner*
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

zworqy wrote:There already is an option for making battles with hidden opponents.
the funniest thing is that if someone started balle like that, everybody thought the server is down:)
[carebox]
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Yeah I did it once and it was frowned upon. By the way SveinR, nice move. :D
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

I think one of the biggest issues right now is not having any kind of announcement of battles or results in IRC. Once the auto replay thing and IRC announcement are implimented I think ballelma will be much more fun.
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
J-sim
39mins club

Post by J-sim »

everybody just please come back to #battle I miss you sooooo much :***************
jaytea
37mins club

Post by jaytea »

belma killed #battle then turned the gun on itself :/
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

i tried uploading level to #battle few days ago, noone played ;(
Harald Hasch
Kuski

Post by Harald Hasch »

its nearly gone
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

I agree with skint0r. In #battle I often played just because I randomly noticed a fresh battle had started. Nowadays that's not possible, but instead I have to get to elma-mood first and go see if there is a battle going.

About hiding other kuskis, maybe the battle-text (the one with timer) could show whether they are shown or not.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

everything ez only lack of time
[carebox]
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

why there's sometimes no rec is because ppl cant decide themselves if they wanna announce time, otherwise I disagree with the op. And mila stated it short why the suggestions haven't been implemented
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

This reminds me of the fact that I still need to give milagros the 20e I promised him. Sorry dude, it's coming up as soon as possible!
Kestas
Kuski

Post by Kestas »

gonna ship him 20e as well, as soon as i'll see a battle server with online battle hystory of each palyed bulle and kuski standings with their own kind of wr's and stuff so ppl could start old battles/levpack levs as well to claim for ruining old 'wr''s or just to remember good old ass kicking times.

then we could have a site where just by one click you could look at hall of fame looking something like that:
1. markku 1000 (wrs)
2. jaytea 700
3. tisjoris 350
etc..
78. zworqy 1

ez 20e maybe even more!
man i cant wait for a chat implementation <3
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

Kestas wrote:then we could have a site where just by one click you could look at hall of fame looking something like that:
blame skint0r with those stats, prog should save stats into database (not now on zworqy's though) so it's his turn to do teh php
and no, i dont want any 20e, send it to moposite if you want or some other page which is still alive (zworqy's or which)... you know it's against the law:D
[carebox]
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Hmzz come to think of it indeed, smart of you mila. :P
Abula
Moposite admin
Team: FM

Post by Abula »

At least interest towards Mopobattles has died totally. Only some Finnish fanatics were playing them.
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
niN
Kuski
Team: HoHo

Post by niN »

I agree now, at first I thought that ballelma was awesome and that it didn't ruin ballefun, but now I don't know... I joined #battle yesterday and said "Hi" but there was no respond =( I actually miss #battle.

However though, thanks mila for making the thingie :) I really enjoyed it!
Team HotHorses, and I'm converting to Icelandian now...
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

well I played 21 battles yesterday, so it can't be totally sucky. Even if it replaces #battle it brings more good than bad in the end, but it will definetly do what jaytea said if we dont get few essential updates, such as channel battle start announcements, stats etc
Raven
Moporator
Team: MiE

Post by Raven »

i whane like "F*" replay downloader.
Seize the day
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

i just hope private servers will be possible soon
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

At least I play 1000x more battles now than before belma.
<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
<yoosef> zworqy doesnt suck at anything
wjelo
Kuski

Post by wjelo »

everything can go back to normal (not only that, it will be even better than it used to be) as soon as there will be several things made: the auto replay thingy, statistics, private servers (as John suggested) and possibly the in-game chat but not essentialy imo the in-game chat. cant see any disadvantages then and ppl would not be able to not tell sucky times so results will be more 'real' than before. if ppl wanna find styles on their own just start more battles with unchecked 'see others' option
go go Mila :D and Zebera or whoever, why not start new stats now?
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

wiElOryB wrote:everything can go back to normal (not only that, it will be even better than it used to be) as soon as there will be several things made: the auto replay thingy, statistics, private servers (as John suggested) and possibly the in-game chat but not essentialy imo the in-game chat. cant see any disadvantages then and ppl would not be able to not tell sucky times so results will be more 'real' than before. if ppl wanna find styles on their own just start more battles with unchecked 'see others' option
jcl's server stil not up 100% so can't do statistics (its done form my side), private servers not really necessary, then noone will play normal one and since its not last version i won't spread it
and back to normal? in #battle there was no autoreplay, no private servers, no ingame chat, so its not about getting back to normal
[carebox]
wjelo
Kuski

Post by wjelo »

milagros wrote:
wiElOryB wrote:everything can go back to normal (not only that, it will be even better than it used to be) as soon as there will be several things made: the auto replay thingy, statistics, private servers (as John suggested) and possibly the in-game chat but not essentialy imo the in-game chat. cant see any disadvantages then and ppl would not be able to not tell sucky times so results will be more 'real' than before. if ppl wanna find styles on their own just start more battles with unchecked 'see others' option
jcl's server stil not up 100% so can't do statistics (its done form my side), private servers not really necessary, then noone will play normal one and since its not last version i won't spread it
and back to normal? in #battle there was no autoreplay, no private servers, no ingame chat, so its not about getting back to normal
i meant the things ppl miss and talk about in this topick coulda be brought back plus we got much more, so no reason to whine, just shoulda be patient
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

private servers ARE necessary, orka hoyl internals with zamppe otheriwse :S
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

haha would be max ;D
Kestas
Kuski

Post by Kestas »

are nat. the thing that is really necesary at the moment is the chat and statistics and it's the only thing mila should be concerned in right now.
i'm the same minded with mila by the way
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

I rate chat and private servers as most important. Stats can ez be added later on, you've still got #battle for that.
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

nah ez auto rec thingie first prio atm
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

#1 priority is people playing belma anyway. :)
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

niN wrote:I agree now, at first I thought that ballelma was awesome and that it didn't ruin ballefun, but now I don't know... I joined #battle yesterday and said "Hi" but there was no respond =( I actually miss #battle.

However though, thanks mila for making the thingie :) I really enjoyed it!
I completely changed my point of view now =D Thanks for teh patch mila!
Jeppe
39mins club

Post by Jeppe »

ballelma is great ;/ not that im interested enough to play it.I would like the battlebot back at #battle so we could play it the old way ;(
Harald Hasch
Kuski

Post by Harald Hasch »

Jeppe wrote:ballelma is great ;/ not that im interested enough to play it.I would like the battlebot back at #battle so we could play it the old way ;(

YEAAS, please.
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

and instead of having a free ferrari, have a free donkey!
retards.

chat is coming very soon so shut up.
autorec thing too, probably.
39:37,91