should more than one person update the wr table?

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

yes
No votes
no
100%

Total votes: 2

jaytea
37mins club

Post by jaytea »

moposite promises updates once a week, yet don't deliver

obviously theres reasons.. px may have been busy, he cares so little about elma that hes in no rush to update, etc but all reasons aside, given the excitement the wr table has generated the last few weeks.. arent we entitled to just a little more consideration?

i guess this decision belongs mainly to px, Abula and the people most active in the WR making business (john and zweq), shouldn't there be more than one person updating the table? with a team of people (neutral people like Abula, SveinR, skint0r) who wouldnt spread recs or share styles, we'd be much less likely to miss out on wr updates. would just require one of the people's attention for a few minutes a week
WkE
Kuski

Post by WkE »

This whole WR table format is so 1999.
I mean, we're now in 2007, and there has obviously been a development in user interactivity on the web throughout these years, which moposite has to catch up with. Maybe 7 years ago it was somewhat problematic to set up a real-time records section, but now it is more than easy and possible.

And so, what I suggest is something like stats.elastomania.ru, where kuskis will be able to register and upload their state.dats, and their times will be updated immediately. In case of new WRs, replays will be sent to active moderators, who will approve/disapprove the WR. The moderators' only other task will be monitoring times once in a while, just to make sure that there is no 14.xx in Hooked or something like that.

Not only this records system is easily doable, but it also opens opportunities for many other features, like uploading/downloading other players' recs or even commetning on other players' times.

Just think about it - this "e-mail us your times and we'll publish them when we can" is so oldschool. Nothing works like that anymore. In my opinion, it is as obsolete as writing your times on a note and sending them in a stamped envelope to Finland via airmail.
TT: 43:03.93 | AVG: 47:03.65 | Image | Team Site [TR] || TR Forum | 1 Pro, 27 Good, 26 OK
Abula
Moposite admin
Team: FM

Post by Abula »

Well, interative records system is coming :P.

Managing some WR update team would take more resources than just do the updates. I think whining in px privates is the best way to get updates.
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

Abula wrote:Well, interative records system is coming :P.
this reminds me elma2;)
[carebox]
nick-o-matic
Kuski

Post by nick-o-matic »

Is interactive record system really so essential? Nobody makes so many records so rapidly that they couldn't wait for a while to see them at the page. (of course elma total times should be updated much more frecuently though, maybe once in two weeks).

And what would happen to the old tables system? I guess that since the day that interactive record system becomes official there won't be any new old tables. It would be a pity - all the fun in comparing your times to the times in table #XXX would be gone. With all the traditions. And the old table statistics.
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

WR tables will remain in some once per week style. More automatic but still it won't be realtimed. The reason is what nick-o-matic descriped.
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
WkE
Kuski

Post by WkE »

nick-o-matic wrote: Nobody makes so many records so rapidly that they couldn't wait for a while to see them at the page.
Zweq wrote:ez quit internals, nothing is updated anymore so
TT: 43:03.93 | AVG: 47:03.65 | Image | Team Site [TR] || TR Forum | 1 Pro, 27 Good, 26 OK
nick-o-matic
Kuski

Post by nick-o-matic »

WkE wrote:
nick-o-matic wrote: Nobody makes so many records so rapidly that they couldn't wait for a while to see them at the page.
Zweq wrote:ez quit internals, nothing is updated anymore so
I was thinking that when I was writing my message but came into the conclusion that it's Zweq's own shame if he quits internals because of that kind of reason. Even he makes something like 1 or 2 WRs on average to one update. And even if he made more isn't it just cooler to totally shock everyone with a huge bunch of WRs 8)
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

I think that's what Abu said but,

records should be updated automaticly, real-time. Just like skintatious and kopaka.dk.

WRs should be updated with the same script as above but ,simply don't update the WR table immediatly, make it weekly.

This way everyone is happy!

px gets to relax
nickomatic gets his tables
zweq gets his updates
others get to see WRs weekly, with no delay!
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
Napoleon
Kuski

Post by Napoleon »

no
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

I was talking about elastomania related news in general
wjelo
Kuski

Post by wjelo »

someone's gotta check if wrs aint xiit, otherwise berhabdul's gonna have 54wrs in first tabel generated like that :lol:
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

The_BoneLESS's version is our target. Just takes time. Maybe Zweq wants to start writing some Internal levels articles? Or news?
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

will this be possible with all other moposite-contests to? like OLP all the level packs, MOPOCO, and so on?
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
dz
first 39tt

Post by dz »

The_BoneLESS wrote:records should be updated automaticly, real-time. Just like skintatious and kopaka.dk.
Abula wrote:The_BoneLESS's version is our target. Just takes time.
wiElOryB wrote:someone's gotta check if wrs aint xiit, otherwise berhabdul's gonna have 54wrs in first tabel generated like that :lol:
Do you have any plans to solve this problem?
The_BoneLESS
38mins club

Post by The_BoneLESS »

i guess, even though it'll be automatised, px and/or Abu will take a look at WR recs...

and everyone will get to see suspicious times and cry out loud for the truth!
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
berhabdul
Banned

Post by berhabdul »

impsy, imo WRs should be checked manually
The_BoneLESS
38mins club

Post by The_BoneLESS »

berhabdul wrote:impsy, imo WRs should be checked manually
i don't think so... there aren't that many cheaters in the scene.

And if an appearant cheater appears on the table, i think Abu and Mila will double-check rec to see if it's clean.

I think cheaters are easy to recognize, especially in the internals, with such programs as the anti-cheating group has. If i see Xian pulling some 13.99 on Warm up, i'll personnaly give a call to Abu.
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

realtime wrs would make statistics obsolete, at least some of them.

and yes I can write stuff about internals or whatever, but duno I might be too noob to do wiki style writing
The_BoneLESS
38mins club

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Zweq wrote:realtime wrs would make statistics obsolete, at least some of them.
they won't be.
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

dz wrote:
The_BoneLESS wrote:records should be updated automaticly, real-time. Just like skintatious and kopaka.dk.
Abula wrote:The_BoneLESS's version is our target. Just takes time.
wiElOryB wrote:someone's gotta check if wrs aint xiit, otherwise berhabdul's gonna have 54wrs in first tabel generated like that :lol:
Do you have any plans to solve this problem?
Yea, WRs will be checked by human being.
sierra
39mins club

Post by sierra »

jaytea, it comforts me to confirm that your stupidity knows no bounds. Yes, the Elma scene may be ministered by gerontocratic Philistines, but such is the root of its romance. The art of a Bohemian, with all its appeal to the fresh-minded and forward-thinking, is far too libertarian to be tangible in the teeth of sanctity. Px will update WRs unaided, as sure as a Bellini shall be made with a Prosecco and a gentleman shall never dine before 7. You cunt.
[OMG] | [SpEF] | Apparently my TT was once 39:26:06
Zweq
34mins club

Re: should more than one person update the wr table?

Post by Zweq »

no, but px should be replaced.

it should be about time to thank px for his 8 year (or what?)effort for the scene and tell him to step down from the wr updating duty.

all due respect px but even the statistics have been broken for several months now. I am aware that in the autumn there simply were only 1wr/month but as things change rapidly due to internal höyling fashion waves in belma, you should pick up more frequent updates.

There's the most simple example available: Bjorn sent 1.24.6 new wave _weeks_ ago(assumably), during this waiting time, anyone could have made a better time. The longer interval between tables, the more wrs get "eaten", don't you think? Sure it could happen on weekly basis as well but I just thought bjorn could feel slightly inconvenient if john had sent 1.24.3x a few weeks later, just saying because he could do it easily if he wanted to.

A good start would be some communication from px, nobody even knows what he thinks about updating nowadays. Is he busy in the real world or simply don't want to update WRs any longer. Hopefully he will at least read this topic.

My best candidate for updating wrs used to be skint0r, but as he has faded away, I guess SveinR or Zebra are trustworthy and active enough to do it, if they're willing to that is. I guess they are not.

//wants back weekly updates
klisse
Kuski

Post by klisse »

No, nobody should update wr table, it should be automatically updated every sunday at 20:00. (If new wrs).
But maybe it whould be to unpersonal and all the wr mystery dissaperar?
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

unpersonal, wr mystery, what are you talking about?? you want wrs to be updated once per two months as they are these days?
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

I couldn't agree more with zamppe, these month-long periods of time between WR-tables is far too long. px has done a great job for a very long time but I think it's time to let someone else take over now. I feel 100% trust in SveinR for this kind of job but I don't know if he's even interested (SveinR?).

klisse has a good point too. Automatic updates are already up and running on several Elmasites, with some slight modification I bet they could be adapted for WR-updating once a week. No?

Last but not least, if you want your WR to make it to the table don't hoyl it in Belma with 15 ppl spying you! ez
Cap
37mins club

Post by Cap »

ez SveinR! :beer:
GAA08 - best WR | [27]
Raven
Moporator
Team: MiE

Post by Raven »

SVEINR FOR THE WR UPDATER!!1

Gets my vote. I trust him.
Seize the day
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

Well... +1
39:37,91
Memphis
37mins club

Post by Memphis »

absolutly... +2
Religious Man
|| TT: 37:47:70 || EX New Wave WR + Animal Farm WR || 24 Canadian Records || TEC Bronze Medal || HHIT in the 37min club || http://elastomaster.tripod.com/
||
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

Now we are going to wait 1 month for Sverin to answer whether he want to take care about WRs and another one to update WR Table. :roll:
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

and another 5 months for update, because after all this anyway no one will do anything... useless whining, i'm afraid this is :(
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Heh, well, I'm honored to have been suggested and trusted to do this job. But ultimately, it's px's decision whether or not he wants to "step down" and who should take over. Sure, the WRs aren't updated often enough right now, but it wasn't that bad last year (it got updated every other to third week usually). But if px isn't motivated to do it anymore, he should of course find a replacement. I would be willing to take over, but I'm not happy with my frequency of Multi WR updates the past years so I don't know if I would be the best choice.

Don't forget that they're having trouble with the WR update software though, so if they manage to fix it px might get back to a more regular update frequency.
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

also it shouldn't be taken as granted that stuff orbit around moposite any longer. russians for example barely come to this forum even, how long will it take that they make their own wr table as well. it's just bullshit you know what's going on atm, even if I dont make wrs and it shouldnt be a big deal for me, it's still bullshit.
Memphis
37mins club

Post by Memphis »

fully agree with zweq on this one. What happens when people say enough and there is like 6 wr tables out there and you have to do some research to find out who actually has the wr. update the table!

Oh and while were bitching about stuff, zweq, your name should be zweg. that's how I pronounce it.
Religious Man
|| TT: 37:47:70 || EX New Wave WR + Animal Farm WR || 24 Canadian Records || TEC Bronze Medal || HHIT in the 37min club || http://elastomaster.tripod.com/
||
Jarkko
Kuski

Post by Jarkko »

If the WR table isn't updated by the next monday, then just tell them here in the New WRs thread.

Or I don't mind if there will not be tables at all anymore. What about real time WRs and everyone upload straight to stats compare site, when they got one. Like now few peoples are done.
TT: 43
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

i think updating internal wrs should be kept the way it is(was), because with real time updating many of the 9 years old statistics would die.

or actually as I think about it most of the table based statistics are a bit fucked up, such as wr age in tables (should be time) or on the bottom of wr owners with total sum of wrs in all tables.

perhaps realtime wrs would work after all. instead of table # you have wr #. whenever someone uploads a wr, all statistics are updated. wr table tt would for example become wrupdate tt instead.

Code: Select all

WR #5327 Pab       Warm Up    13.92   -0.05  WRTT 35.12.21    19.12 2012  
WR #5328 Mawane    Hang Tight 24.52   -0.09  WRTT 35.12.12    21.12 2012 
:P

In the future, such as EOL levelpack wrs will be realtime anyway
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

wasnt EOL supposed to have some realtime updating wrs? internal ones i mean
Are
Kuski

Post by Are »

If nobody objects to it, I can put my name forward to px/abula for performing WR table updates. As SveinR's brother (living in the same house) I already can't do multi-WRs. Not to mention I have neither the talent nor the hoyling commitment to even attempt a normal WR :)
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

UPDATE THE FUCKING TABLE NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i wanna see those 10 wrs
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

Px was online today, but was like hmmmm.... fak it i do another day
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Mats wrote:Px was online today, but was like hmmmm.... fak it i do another day
lies
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

I admit it :cry:
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

It's better for community if WRs and Records are updated once in some period because that get's people to gather together in one time at one place. Therefore it's better to have Records updated once in week or something. But yet, of course they should be automatic too. So the system would gather states and replays duringn the week and the publish the results on Sunday at 18:00 or something.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Abula wrote:But yet, of course they should be automatic too. So the system would gather states and replays duringn the week and the publish the results on Sunday at 18:00 or something.
That's the system I was always dreaming about... I'm almost sure it's not so hard to code, and absolutely sure that most of kuskis would be very happy about that. Also it would probably increase the number of new WRs, if someone beats a WR just after the update, there is a chance that someone else will beat it even harder before next update.