nostalgia

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

jaytea
37mins club

nostalgia

Post by jaytea »

there might be another thread like this on here, but this one's better

anyway i was watching old battle recs today and feeling pretty elma-nostalgic (im not sure if youve noticed the new sig) and started remembering what, for me, were the "good old days"

i remembered in particular a period of around 3-4 years ago when #battle was dominated by good level makers who had an excellent idea of what pleased #battle-goers. there was jp, who would start a marathon of delightful levels.. my favorite of course being his tricky hoyl levs.. each one of which would be a masterful display of vertex precision. zebra with his awesome UHSEPs, and others like iob with their cool micro levels :D yknow, the kind of levels where we'd see 10+ players! yes, there were less battlers at any given time, but the channel provided more battle spirit than anything belma has yet provided, due in part to its unfortunate timing

one night i remember hoyling with sierra, jp was on one of his level frenzies. we walked over to our friend kev (pantat)'s house and battled a bit over there, then took a ride to the beach and witnessed a glorious sunrise. then i remember coming back to pantat's and beating markku in a battle, which was quite unheard of for me.. markku was quite an indestructable force back then as anyone who was around would remember ;D not sure why this night stands out.. re-telling it makes it sound like a pretty avg event, maybe cause i was around good friends, witnessed a great sunrise and beat markku \o/ it was probably just at the peak of my elma enjoyment phase

so, nostalgia anyone? veterans can post about even older memories, noobs can kiss my bells
im pretty good at elma
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I remember two dudes from UAE entering the elma scene, sach nostalgia those times in 2k4.
Staar
Kuski

Post by Staar »

Well, i pretty miss those #battle days in 2006. belma ruined it all :cry:
Rock n Roll All Night and party everyday
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

too many memories I've got, duno where to start, but I'll write in chronological order, guess I could write something about across now.

it's very close to 10 years now when one guy in school told me about some fantastic game and that I should go visit his place after school. Obviously I agreed, being happy about having a friend to spend time with on freetime, but it didn't take long I was more happy about seeing ACTION SUPERCROSS (1.0 shareware version with 8 levels), man that game was fucking amazing. I don't remember did he let me to play it, but my memory tells me I went home shortly so my mom isnt worried. I visit home only to leave school stuff on teh room floor (or something similar) and went back to my friends place with some floppies :P. when I got back, he had another friend playing across at his place. I have very clear flash in memory about this moment, he was playing over and under and couldnt pass the FIRST little hole in the ground, the one in the first uphill. Anyway I asked "cane I copy plz", I think he said something like: hmm ye maybe soon. Luckily teh friend's friend's gialz came over and my friend's big brother took over the comp and the others went to another room. THEN I finally got my copy, thankfully the floppy worked as well.

at home I obviously made warm up 13 first try. no but I got only 2 other flashes from the first day. Some memories from long haul being dame hard, but especially tunnel terror. that GODdame hang apple, it was dame impsy, because nat knowing polygons go through the body I guess. Not quite sure if I finished it the same day or later, but fokk at least I got the maxest game ever. I think the record was 7 guys at the same time from our school coming to my place to play across. I was just watching while teh nabs took turns and tried to beat teh levs.

not sure how this is going to continue, at some point I got another version which had slippery slope(which I thought to be max lev :P) etc, not sure if that version had externals and editor supported, but one max memory is from lev called tankkivankki, which was about 5 mins long and felt max hard, and I managed to finish it after practicing for very long time! then nobody believed me :(

for starters
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

i remember good battles. i remember bad battles. i miss the old battle days.
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
ElToto
Kuski

Post by ElToto »

still waking up sometimes at 11am, hopefully in a sunny sunday, big black coffe, burn one and playing externals #ly or making shit levs

well, that's not exactly every week end but I think I'll be nostalgic when this disappears
tomorrow, i stop.
zebra
Kuski
Team: TAP

Post by zebra »

Yes, i remember the good old battle days, but i don't miss them or think that belma has ruined the battle fun. Instead, I think that belma battles are even better than the old ones. Uploading/downloading levels and observing battles are easier than ever. Only downside is the chat which is little bit more limited than irc is, but it's acceptable.

If I look further in the past, I remember going to my friend who showed me the action supercross version 1.0. It was love at first sight. I had to get it myself too and soon it was played at school and everywhere.

But maybe even greater thing was when I got the across version 1.2 with level editor (there wasn't level editor in the older version). I opened the editor with enthusiasm, draw first few polygons... and the rest is history. So amazing, so refreshing, so creative. I have waited the day when i lose the interest in elma and level making. There has been times when i have designed more and times when i have designed less, but now i start to be sure that the day will never come.
A winner of 4 GAA's (mc2 included), winner of mkup206, and a proud member of team TAP.
Play uni levels: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/uni.html
Homepage: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/elma.html
Crypt
Kuski

Post by Crypt »

i havent been playing elastomania for such a long time but i remember some late nights making funny levels and shit
TT ~ 50:42
jonsterion
Kuski

Post by jonsterion »

i miss elma and especially #battle in 2004 when the channel was dominated by markku and other oldschoolers.
belele
J-sim
39mins club

Post by J-sim »

jonsterion wrote:i miss elma and especially #battle in 2004 when the channel was dominated by markku and other oldschoolers.
we miss you too jonsta! you and aavv could atleast drop in on irc from time to time, pretty plz.
sierra
39mins club

Post by sierra »

I miss the days when people weren't sad enough to make posts about how much they miss a fucking computer game community.

And those days when 54:5x would get you into the Ramp Frenzy top 10 ;-(
Last edited by sierra on 26 Feb 2018, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.
[OMG] | [SpEF] | Apparently my TT was once 39:26:06
FW
Kuski

Post by FW »

I miss #battle :(!
http://tinyurl.com/yz6ak9 - Home of ANB, FWPP and BO pack
Old nick: Wezz
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

dz
first 39tt
Team: FM

Post by dz »

Miss the replay trading.. :wink:

These days players are after fame so much that they need to publish replays as soon as possible. :cry:
Luther
37mins club
Team: ICE

Post by Luther »

2003 ftw
Nekit for president
Ky.Jelly
Flood to teh MAX

Post by Ky.Jelly »

elma has awesome memories, thats why i play, sit here and hoyl some level for 10 mins thinking of old times, then quit
[10:51:18] <skint0r> i could SACh see KyJelly working at ICA ;D
[10:51:37] <skint0r> "vad kostar denna?" "wtf ch0b0"
Thursday, March 2nd 2005, 0942 i was 3333 [4.43% of total / 3.25 posts per day]
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

actually I do the same here, probably at least until 2008. Have been cruising the same level (ESB075) for over 2 weeks now. :lol2: