vsync/fps in battles

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

User
Kuski

vsync/fps in battles

Post by User »

im sure there is already a topic for this, i dont care, seems like people get away with duplicate topics anyway

let me start by saying that in my opinion fps has much greater part in battles than people think. usually people talk about 0.01 difference between vsync on/off and so on, ok i dunno, this might very well be the case in long run, but in battles the difference can be much bigger.

i play alot of battles and atleast with my setting i get much better grip when i toggle timer/map off. its very noticeable difference even. so this means i get to make places where extreme/near extreme grip is needed with far less tries than trying to bango with lower fps. in battles you cant spend a lot of time hoping you get good angle and grip, you cant afford to fuck up good runs when the level is 1min long and battle time is some 15mins. in the other hand ive noticed its harder to do brutals with higher fps, so sometimes i need to twitch the timer/map back on to lower my fps on purpose, usually i only twitch timer/map of to get better grip thou.

i think im decent battler, usually in top5 and even win occasinally and i also think i have decent knowledge about elma physics and battle tactics. so my opinion is that fps can have dramatic effect, even make 1-2 secs better times or be the difference of making some trick within battletime. there are a lot of aspects in battling and in most levels fps is not that big of a factor but in longer levels and levels where getting nice grip makes the difference it most certanly is.

maybe its because of my fps which is somewhere around 200, not really optimal for anything, with bigger fps grip wouldnt really be a problem, but i would lose the advantage of some low fps needed situations, good all around fps perhaps. so if i want to get higher fps i obv twich timer off to compensate.

what is your opinion? how much it matters? does it matter at all?
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

Elasto Mania (also known as Elma) is a 2D motorbike simulation game for Microsoft Windows, and was originally released in 2000. Elasto Mania claimed to be "based on a real physical model." It explores the notion of elastic motorcycles. The goal of each level is to collect every apple spread throughout that level, and then to touch the flower to finish and move on to the next level. Some people play the game to try to solve levels as fast as possible, while others enjoy its puzzle-like nature, figuring out how to solve a difficult level.
39:37,91
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

i have some 250 or 300. My computer cant better with others hide, time and map on. :D
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

I have some 500-600 with timer/map on, so I don't really have that difference you have. I have never thought of brutal being easier with lower fps though, I'll have to test that.
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

Brutal have atleast more grip with low fps. :)
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

this thread is bullshit, because, it is.

natin more has to be said.
Bismuth
Kuski
Team: <3

Post by Bismuth »

Zweq wrote:this thread is bullshit, because, it is.

natin more has to be said.
I agree.
:mrhat:
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

I usually have map-off and timer-on and that makes me some 750-800 FPS! When i turn timer off too, i have some 1500, so easy more than 999. but i hardly ever use 999 FPS, but i used it to hoyl the ramp frenzy brutal style. dunno if it was really easier but i made both 4x.xx times with 999 FPS.
but i heard that talli made it with 280 FPS! so i don't think it FPS matters that much for brutals.

i think most (good) battlers play with vsnyc off, that's usually between 300-900 FPS. of course there IS a difference, better grip for example! but i don't think that ppl with 999 have better requirements, because a nice battle level has more than one "tricky" part, and maybe it's good to have some 900 FPS on the one part, but only 150 FPS on some other part.
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Permanent vsync on and no tweaking whatsoever FTW!
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
J-sim
39mins club

Post by J-sim »

SveinR wrote:Permanent vsync on and no tweaking whatsoever FTW!
lol that is just so stupid and archaic svein. you really need to try vsync off, it will make you so much better you have no idea.

on this laptop i'm playing on these days i can't get vsync off because of vista and also the response on the keyboard is not too good and i can only do 2 keypresses at a time. probably the keyboard problems has a bit more to say, but i do think that these things combined have made me just a horible player. i feel absolutely handicapped, like my skills suddenly shifted back to 5 years ago. it's just so terrible and i feel so awful everytime i play on this computer.
try vsync off if you have the posibility please!
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

J-sim wrote:
SveinR wrote:Permanent vsync on and no tweaking whatsoever FTW!
lol that is just so stupid and archaic svein. you really need to try vsync off, it will make you so much better you have no idea.
Maybe I would try it if it had been possible on this graphics card.
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
dz
first 39tt
Team: FM

Post by dz »

No need to, just set desired FPS value in elma settings.