Volt/Vault Debacle

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

J-sim
39mins club

Volt/Vault Debacle

Post by J-sim »

So this was just discussed a bit in belma. Where does the term volt come from, does anyone know? I initially thought it was the readme, but it isn't. I'm guessing that if it came to existence in the across days from players that this kind of odd word is used because the term turn was already used for the action of changing the direction of the bike with the space bar. Other words could have been used instead, like just plain "left" and "right", though then there'd be missing a non direction based word. I guess other words could work too, but I'm not going to try to find more examples. The thing is however, that we have all along been using the incorrect volt, the correct one is vault. Why is it that at least to my knowledge we haven't talked about this before? And why is it that we haven't fixed the mistake?
Actually I think it's kind of cute. But it would be really fun to know the story behind it. Does anyone know? I'm imagining some very young teenage finn or swede just got the words mixed up, heh.

edit: So I guess we figured it out in belma, probably. And of course it was really simple, because the word is spelled volttii (or close to that) in finnish and volt in swedish. I'm guessing it's from finnish though. I still think this is a little bit interesting, and if anyone knows who started using the word, it would be cool.
Bismuth
Kuski
Team: <3

Re: Volt/Vault Debacle

Post by Bismuth »

I asked that question :D
:mrhat:
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

History of the volt

In 1800, as the result of a professional disagreement over the galvanic response advocated by motorized vehicles, Alessandro Volta developed the so-called Voltaic flip, a forerunner of the Volt, which produced a steady Vault. Volta had determined that the most effective pair of Vault to produce extra power was Left and Right at the same time. In the 1880s, the International Elastic Congress, now the International Elastomania Commission (IEC), approved the volt for electromotive force. At that time, the volt was defined as the potential difference to movements on Across.
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I figured it was short for volta ;s
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

heitä homo voltti
Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Post by Mawane »

Mats wrote:History of the volt

In 1800, as the result of a professional disagreement over the galvanic response advocated by motorized vehicles, Alessandro Volta developed the so-called Voltaic flip, a forerunner of the Volt, which produced a steady Vault. Volta had determined that the most effective pair of Vault to produce extra power was Left and Right at the same time. In the 1880s, the International Elastic Congress, now the International Elastomania Commission (IEC), approved the volt for electromotive force. At that time, the volt was defined as the potential difference to movements on Across.
wtf, where did you find that?!
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Mawane wrote:
Mats wrote:History of the volt

wtf, where did you find that?!
Must've been in a history book dug from the basement of the library of imaginationtown.
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
hex
Kuski

Post by hex »

sounds like a bunch of uncited wikipedia references.
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

volt [vohlt]
–noun
1. Manège.
a. a circular or turning movement of a horse.
b. a gait in which a horse going sideways turns around a center, with the head turned outward.

2. Fencing. a sudden movement or leap to avoid a thrust.

Origin:
1650–60; < F volte < It volta, n. deriv. of voltare to turn < VL *volvitare, freq. of L volvere to turn; see vault
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

To me 'volt' sounds hell of a lot more natural than 'vault'.
<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
<yoosef> zworqy doesnt suck at anything
hex
Kuski

Post by hex »

for reference: to vault: to jump across or leap over (an obstacle); wordnet (resembles SveinR's fencing).
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

hexeditor wrote:sounds like a bunch of uncited wikipedia references.
you got that right :wink:
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
Bismuth
Kuski

Post by Bismuth »

hexeditor wrote:something about wikipedia I won't bother quoting
Talking about that, I saw yesterday an article about Maurice Richard (a hockey player in the Montreal Canadiens who became a true legend) and saw spelling errors and contradictory information. I felt like hockey fans were not always brilliant.
some nab in wikipedia wrote:30 décembre 1955 – Le Rocket réussit son dernier tour du chapeau en saison régulière et en carrière.
10 février 1956 – Le Rocket marque son 500ième but, `New York, contre le gardien Lorne « Gump » Worsley des Rangers de New York.
19 octobre 1957 – Le Rocket marque son 500ième but après 863 parties. Il devient le premier joueur dans l’histoire de la Ligue Nationale de Hockey à réaliser pareil exploit.
1er avril 1958 – Le Rocket réussit un tour du chapeau en séries éliminatoires. Il s’agira de son 33ième tour du chapeau (3 buts en un match) en carrière.
18 janvier 1959 – Le Rocket subit une double fracture à la jambe à la suite d’un puissant tir frappé de Bernard Geoffrion. MR doit mettre fin à sa saison de hockeyeur.
26 novembre 1959 – M.R. plonge pour bloquer un tir et subit une triple fracture à la joue.
I know it's in French, but here are the things I point out: he scored his 500th goal on 2 different days (feb 10 1956 and oct 19 1957), he made his last hat-trick (3 goals in one game) in his carreer on the dec 30 1955 and made his 33th hat-trick on the apr 1st 1958, and the nab called him "MR" a couple of times. Wtf is this? Plus, things in red are mistakes (Ligue NationalE, not national -_-). Sometimes I really wonder how dumb people can be.
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Did you correct it though? Or at least mention the errors on the talk page of the article?
Rules | FAQ
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

I'd like to borrow this thread and share with you all my hatred towards the word 'psy'. First of all, it's not a word. Second, it's a person. Third, it has nothing to do with the word 'possible' at all. If you don't want to use the word 'possible', at lest use something similar, like 'pasibel' or so. However, I have nothing against the 'word' 'impsy'. I'm totally fine with that one.

impsy = impossible.
psy = a person.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
hex
Kuski

Post by hex »

SveinR wrote:Did you correct it though? Or at least mention the errors on the talk page of the article?
Bismuth wrote:Sometimes I really wonder how dumb people can be.
lol
Bismuth
Kuski

Post by Bismuth »

impsy is more max hard but doable, like doing ramp brutal is impsy, but doing lab pro u1:30 is impossible.
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

no, impsy is impossible.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

actually impsy means impsybility if I'm not mistaken, which is an old word for a pipe, but I know many uses it for impossible, I even do so myself
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

omg i checked urbandictioanry.. no one has written a definition..
someone aught to do teh

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=impsy
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
hex
Kuski

Post by hex »

Bismuth wrote:impsy is more max hard but doable, like doing ramp brutal is impsy, but doing lab pro u1:30 is impossible.
that's just in your head.
hex
Kuski

Post by hex »

Xiphias wrote:omg i checked urbandictioanry... no one has written a definition... someone aught to do teh
if you already didn't, don't expect us to do it at your place.
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

already did
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
hex
Kuski

Post by hex »

alright. :)
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

hexeditor wrote:
Xiphias wrote:omg i checked urbandictioanry... no one has written a definition... someone aught to do teh
if you already didn't, don't expect us to do it at your place.
Why would we do it at his place, when we can do it at our own?
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Kopaka wrote:actually impsy means impsybility if I'm not mistaken, which is an old word for a pipe, but I know many uses it for impossible, I even do so myself
Impsybility isn't an old word for a pipe, it is a pipe (WCup317). Which was based on the older pipe Impossibility (MOPOCO08) (of course you already know this Kopa). So impsy obviously means impossible.

You can of course use it somewhat like Bismuth said, for instance in a battle ("dame impsy timz"), but it still means impossible.
Rules | FAQ
hex
Kuski

Post by hex »

of course he knew. nab kopa. :P
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

Bismuth wrote:impsy is more max hard but doable, like doing ramp brutal is impsy, but doing lab pro u1:30 is impossible.
QFT - quoted for truth 8)
<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
<yoosef> zworqy doesnt suck at anything
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

either way, I always thought - and I still do - that impsybility was a pun on psy's ability on pipes. errr?
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

teajay wrote:either way, I always thought - and I still do - that impsybility was a pun on psy's ability on pipes. errr?
Sure. Because psy was the first to finish Impossibility. And of course, he went on to win the World Cup event on Impsybility.
Rules | FAQ
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

SveinR wrote:
teajay wrote:either way, I always thought - and I still do - that impsybility was a pun on psy's ability on pipes. errr?
Sure. Because psy was the first to finish Impossibility. And of course, he went on to win the World Cup event on Impsybility.
lol! i really didn't know that. 8O
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

Well, if that level was balled again now in belma in 30 mins battle, I think many players could get better time than psy's impsybility time.. But not that compareable at all, there was no centered camera on taht times etc...
hex
Kuski

Post by hex »

but his time was pretty good, if i remember right. though true, alovolt was barely working at that time, and like you said would be max interesting to compare past vs. today in the beating of old champions. might not reveal itself easy at soup though, but it must be known that levels like wcup306 (hoyless hills) may be possible to beat up to a second (especially with the hard-to-execute flip like a few seconds after having pressed enter).
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

listen to the old guys ;-)