EOL Promotion Campaign

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

EOL Promotion Campaign

Post by 8-ball »

With the public release of EOL visible on the horizon, I would like to invite you all to give it all the publicity it deserves, maybe even a second viral birth. I would say we aim primary to people already familiar with Elma (most gamers actually) and likely to become permanent, mature and contributing players but of course as much exposure as possible is best.

Methods of promotion I suggest once EOL is public:
  • A carefully crafted promotion video on YouTube and other major video sites (I will work on this personally asap, all suggestions about what it should include are welcome). Comment and like the video, maybe post responses to it to make it the top search result on YouTube. If you have existing Elma videos, link to this video through annotations, description, etc.
  • Post it on your blogs, twitter, facebook, whatever, with a link to the video
  • Somehow inform Balazs about it and get his approval to get a link to it from elastomania.com which is still the website with most Elma traffic. I'm not sure this is possible but worth a try.
  • Describe it and link to it from en.wikipedia.org article and perhaps other language wikis
  • Promotion from Moposite. It's only 6th search result on Google though, maybe that can be improved upon.
  • A review on http://download.cnet.com/Elasto-Mania/3 ... 42849.html (and other download sites that have it) linking to the video (over 1 million downloads from there at the moment). Mark the review useful to bump it up.
  • Put a bundled version of it on major torrent trackers. About this one I'm not sure as it would attract a lot of people who never played Elma and it's also warez (unless we exclude elma.res) but it would result in a lot of new players.
  • Post about it on major gaming communities and forums and on communities of similar games. Write reviews if possible. A LOT of serious gamers have at least tried Elma and this could spark a nostalgic interest in them.
This was just 15 mins of brainstorming though but I hope you get the idea and come up with your own suggestions also;)
39:37,91
wjelo
Kuski

Re: EOL Promotion Campaign

Post by wjelo »

I will psot a topic on Polish Elma forum soon.

The video should contain new features, multi is a must, also modes that look appealing to noobs like fag tag.
A beer a day keeps the doct0r away.
last.fm profile
Kortsu
Kuski

Post by Kortsu »

Make a compilation vid of bug bounces to lure people in. Also all new additions should be featured, obv.
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

i understand the idea... but i'm not really sure if such a flood of new players would be beneficial for us...
edit:
ok, maybe it would, but i'm still not quite confident =/
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

Pawq wrote:i understand the idea... but i'm not really sure if such a flood of new players would be beneficial for us...
edit:
ok, maybe it would, but i'm still not quite confident =/
lol, the one who was called 'fakkin nab' by 99% percent of the scene one year ago doesn't want new players. cute.
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
NoZKeY
Kuski

Post by NoZKeY »

What is considered a contributing player? Because i consider myself one.. but i'm pretty sure most kuskis don't think so at all...
I always try to make original and creative levs, though some are very simple or sometimes i overuse some tricks or stuff...
Lately i even changed my way of making levs, and now i make only pipes, i think they have been good so far (NozPiXXX.lev)

I am pretty sure i love this game even when i am always whinning at belma saying things liek "i hate belma" "FU BELMA" "I QUIT ELMA", etc. I know i have some sort of passion for this game.

So what is a contributing player? The one that likes elma a lot, the one who has awesome skills, or the one who makes good levs? Anyway i think that we can't have a real definition of what a good lev is... that's subjective.

Personally, i like the idea of promoting EOL to have more people, the more the better, bad elements will leave soon or will be banned if they are making trouble, so it think it's ok.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

NoZKeY wrote:bad elements will leave soon or will be banned if they are making trouble
ye youre right... :)
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

The problem with this is that the core group of players right now is already enough to make the server unstable and if we are looking at a $10-25 server, that's not going to support a second viral birth.

But really good ideas.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

server crashed twice in a week, not that bad for testing version
[carebox]
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Not to mention taking 15 minutes to connect, or in my case not managing to connect at all.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

wtf are you talking about
[carebox]
Polarix
Kuski

Post by Polarix »

The most efficient way to make people play EOL is to blogg yourself. Just showing gameplay will not be enough. And make it good, make it funny, make it not boring! Who with decent english and good camera will take teh quest?
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

I hope the video will be better than the previous, which was nothing unique imo, no offence. That's the main thing which could captivate and induce new contingent players leastwise to download this game, which seems not half good on the first sight. ;)
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

You should have text in the video that goes like:
"Join the online mayhem where players like X and Y rule the world!!" and super drama music.

just a suggestion xD

... yes bored at work
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

Promo video:

"Why play this..."

*Sucky gameplay from Elma 1.0 with noncentered cam and crap music (the screaming kind of "music" is bad bad)*

"...when you could play this?"

*Awesome gameplay, flagtag, multi, centered cam and by players with best looking shirts there is, some pleasant conversation from EOL chat ( everyone there are so friendly :D ), some clip of browsing Elma Online site. Everything in sync with adrenaline music*

"Now go online and make a name for yourself!"

THE END o/ All URLs in the description.

Quite similar to the first promotion vid I guess but then Elma doesn't offer much excitement really.
masterBurn
Kuski

Post by masterBurn »

John wrote:but then Elma doesn't offer much excitement really.
it offers crack-cocaine addiction, and then the excitement dies off and the addiction stays.
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

It's still just a simple 2D game so it might be tricky to make it look exciting. I think the promo video should be only like a minute long and function as a teaser for best effect. Nothing thorough.
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

or make it a one hour documentary called: The History of Elma
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
zaraptor
39mins club

Post by zaraptor »

two hour would be longer
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

Go to http://mopolauta.moposite.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6835 if you wanna help me with the video
Kestas
Kuski

Post by Kestas »

milagros wrote:server crashed twice in a week, not that bad for testing version
btw milagros, a short offtopic question for you? would this eol thing everyones talking about, have the same issue as belma does with those port forwarding problems? i hope no.. a new place where i'm living the router has unnown id's and passwords (modified default ones), leaving me empty-handed. and of course not me alone..
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

it seems you can put TCP only and play without forwarding ports (a bit laggier though)
Kestas
Kuski

Post by Kestas »

i wonder what do you mean? leaving a udp values as blank (0)? if so theres no difference in that
edit: k, thanks
Last edited by Kestas on 1 Sep 2010, 10:44, edited 1 time in total.
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

in eol config there's a check for TCP only so you can do everything without using UDP at all.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

I will make a cetcast as response where I explain how to use eol. ()
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

The registration is open now, how about some promotion?
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

I will not make a cetcast as response where I explain how to use eol. ()
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

Reposting from EOL Video thread:

CURRENT STATUS: DONE
Watch it in 1080p HD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvy1gGcywC0
Download it in 1080p HD (548MB, ouch): soon, sending it to skint0r (thanks)

Finished it in 2 days work after Kopa told me about EOL Lev Pack release etc. :)
Didn't include everything I planned to but I'm happy with the result.
If you have any comments are suggestions please don't keep them to yourself :)

Let's make this the top search result on YouTube for "Elasto Mania"!

This along with EOL Lev Pack tomorrow should provide a kick start to EOL Promotion Campaign, get involved if you can!

So, let's snowball this thing?
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

NEW CAMPAIGN ASSIGNMENTS FOR 12.08.2011 21:00 EET ONWARDS:
- Like, favourite and comment EOL video to bring it up in search results! It is very important! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvy1gGcywC0
- Like this page and the wall post about EOL: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elasto-Mania/38570704322
- If you have Elma videos on YouTube, put on them an annotation linking to the EOL Trailer
- Tweet/blog (if you have one) about EOL
- Post about EOL on other gaming forums if you are a member of any
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

I was very pleasantly surprised by the video. Really nice work, especially for being made in only 2 days. Now let's all work together and spread the word. 8)
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

..fully working cups:)
[carebox]
Ves
Kuski

Post by Ves »

EOL infrastructure is ready for explosive community growth? :?
Through the externals to the skill.
Through the skill to the internals.
Through the internals to the divinity.
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

Today I made a torrent of EOL and put it on Pirate Bay, Demonoid and 2 other trackers, has about 40-50 downloads at the moment.
Posted info and video about EOL on 5 other forums, at least 10 people said they are interested and gonna try the game.

Anyone else want to help me spread the news?
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

Won't the server become more unstable if lots of more people join?
ToMaT
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

I'm starting school in a new full-male class of mostly 95-born nerds who have surely heard of elma... I will ofc play in class but not sure if I should try to recruit them.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

Just tell them how to get in the game if someone seems to be interested ;)
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Sure, if they're not idiots. I don't know yet, but most of them are probably on a subconscious mission to make me a sociopath.
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Sounds interesting, what kind of school is this Lou-Lou?
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Helsinki Business College, datamonilinja.
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

i've been thinking about the future of eol lately.
we still do have these community-gathering events from time to time (EGP, dino, cups) and it's really nice. but its really common to see very quiet days when its hard to get more than 10 players per battle. i think it's quite constant for about 5 years but i'd love the community to grow a little.
it can't be that hard to promote EOL, i myself hope contacting some famous youtubers could do the job. i have seen some yt elma videos but these chaps were unaware of eols existence. it could turn into massive newbies income if we could do something about it.

the main question (especially to kopaka and milagros):
what about the servers?
what if we get 1000 new kuskis to play? what about 5000? (too optimistic i guess, but still. temporary overload. most of these would come for a few days max, but lets say 100 will stay for much longer)
how far can we let ourselves go without troubles? is there any reason to worry at all?

im up for taking some job onto my face. elma is pretty much my only hobby. i love it. its a huge part of my life. i want it to grow and be as strong as bean farts.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
(Devann) u are the master of your own universe. remember that
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

I don't really have anything meaningful to say, but wanted to post something so that it doesn't look like nobody cares. I think it would be fantastic. I also feel like it's been a lot quieter since the WCup, as if players were worn down (I have been, kinda...). But I also should be sleeping for at least an hour but I couldn't because Reefer battled fucking pipes so I really have to go now :D Can share more thoughts later maybe.

Others - pls write something too! Players slowly going inactive one by one is what will ultimately lead to the death of this community, so let's not let that happen too early!
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

8-ball wrote: Methods of promotion I suggest once EOL is public:
  • A carefully crafted promotion video on YouTube and other major video sites (I will work on this personally asap, all suggestions about what it should include are welcome). Comment and like the video, maybe post responses to it to make it the top search result on YouTube. If you have existing Elma videos, link to this video through annotations, description, etc.
  • Post it on your blogs, twitter, facebook, whatever, with a link to the video
  • Somehow inform Balazs about it and get his approval to get a link to it from elastomania.com which is still the website with most Elma traffic. I'm not sure this is possible but worth a try.
  • Describe it and link to it from en.wikipedia.org article and perhaps other language wikis
  • Promotion from Moposite. It's only 6th search result on Google though, maybe that can be improved upon.
  • A review on http://download.cnet.com/Elasto-Mania/3 ... 42849.html (and other download sites that have it) linking to the video (over 1 million downloads from there at the moment). Mark the review useful to bump it up.
  • Put a bundled version of it on major torrent trackers. About this one I'm not sure as it would attract a lot of people who never played Elma and it's also warez (unless we exclude elma.res) but it would result in a lot of new players.
  • Post about it on major gaming communities and forums and on communities of similar games. Write reviews if possible. A LOT of serious gamers have at least tried Elma and this could spark a nostalgic interest in them.
This was just 15 mins of brainstorming though but I hope you get the idea and come up with your own suggestions also;)
That's true mr Blaze, J.Blaze. Refreshing the bikes, as most of them are getting rusty in the garage, would be a great idea. In addition to 8balls' we could have:
  • jblaze mentioned - getting some top (gaming but not only) to explain EOL briefly /jblaze?
  • Repentance for sins appearing as elmic punishments in some churches after confessions. "T.: I haven't brushed my teeth during last week." "Preacher/Priest.: Oke. 5 Warm Ups u14.25 and 5 Tunnels u55 kneeling down" /Tigro?
  • Making the eastern world like China, Thailand, etc. conscious about the possibility to hoyl their asses off in our EOLand by billboards here and there /benson? /axxu?
  • Snatching some invitation to YLE TV to talk about how glorious a Rubik's Cube is, but instead talking about how to install EOL before they get to know what's going on and display a "TECHNICAL ISSUES" screen /Spef? /Stini?
  • Visiting all nooks and crannies of inet and pasting on their boards info about the scene. "Hey, Irish Gardeners, remember this from IT classes?" /Lousku?
  • Hacking some government sites and popular ones making them redirect to elmaonline.net /jonsykkel?
  • Actively maintaining Elmaonline facebook account, commenting unrealated stuff and begging for attention and likes /Kopaka?
  • Prepare and advertise an EOL universe among Minecraft users /Bismuth?
  • Shouting loudly in the street about EOL whenever outside house /ramone?
  • Every 29th of the month - going to the city centre with laptop and projector to show some play, encourage people to try out /Bjenn?
  • Adding some part of tape with EOL ad to the cinema movies /John?
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

I've also noticed a bit of a decline in the latest months. Or maybe it's just that I've played battles a bit more since FEM, and I've noticed the status of things. Of course getting new people is an important thing, but also need things - events - to invigorate current players.

For getting new players publicity helps, but then not really. We've seen things like youtube videos, articles lately but hardly any mention of how to play eol as jblaze says. Even if they do find it, it can be difficult to get started, installing the game etc. As far as server goes, one thing is the memory leak on game server, which is related to players logging in, so more players means it needs restart earlier. As we know the f5 list stops working when certain amount of people is online, so that could be an annoyance but not fatal. Database is already very big, so in the short term more players wouldn't make a big difference.

As for invigorating current players, events like jblaze mentioned is an important part, and absolutely nothing has happened since the world cup. But another thing is various points systems, achievements etc. that could be on the eol site, which I know in other games is something that really makes people play a lot. And it's something I've wanted to do for a long time, but well. Hopefully once the new site get started properly we can get some momentum there. One thing that I'm still looking for in that regard, is some kind of reward that can be given to players to encourage achievements etc. There's not really any kind of XP, points, currencies, gear, cosmetics etc. in elma that's useful.
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Well, we already drove away the guy that wanted to take the game to Steam, so we've been doing a great job promoting EOL so far. :D But sure, more advertising would be great. If you remember the time when we had like 70 battles in queue... It was definitely one of the most exciting Elma days I ever had. Activity is awesome, pls invite more people. I invited two I think, but one of them only played for one day and the other hasn't registered yet. :|
Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

Kopaka wrote:There's not really any kind of XP, points, currencies, gear, cosmetics etc. in elma that's useful.
Maybe some visible pro helmet in chat lines (liek sports leaders have golden helmets or yellow vests or juish have cool topics), extra promotion to battles, etc.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

Only promotion I can think at the moment is spamming elmaonline.net (even jappe2.net?) to youtube elma gaming videos like this or this. And, compatriot kuskis of the uploaders (if non-english video) should write some short info in their native language, about the possibility of online playing.
Sla
36mins club
Team: SpEF

Post by Sla »

Im in to help in any way. We can try to promote Elma for a while and see what happens.
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

IRL promotion is impsy, gotten a few people interested and even trying the game but only for like 30 mins max, rest of mans think it's a silly childrens game and for nerds/autistic people and would much rather buy a new FIFA and NHL every year.
ToMaT
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Hosp wrote:rest of mans think it's a silly childrens game and for nerds/autistic people
well isn't it? :wink2:
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

not really, maybe nowadays but the early days seems to have been very social kinda mans like Abula, Ramone, Luther osv osv
ToMaT