How did you found Elastomania?

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

How did you found Elastomania?

Post by Bludek »

So guys, how did u first find out about elma? Did u get hooked after first tries or did it take some time?

I am just super curious, coz I have no idea how can one (especialy new guy) find this game on the interwebs.

For me it was pretty ez:
Back in the 2000, shareware Elma was among few games, that were on every computer in our high school. I have NO idea who brought it first (probably some older dude), but I want to thank him :D My friends and I were going to computer room on breaks between classes and we were playing it several times a day. The breaks were quite short, so there were only few externals levels made on each comp (since it takes some time to make a lev). So we were hoyling them and we also tried to finish all 18 int levels on every computer. After some time teachers found out about it and deleted it, but I did already had it at home, so no problem there :)

I was also playing Icy Tower and Diablo II LoD back in the days (mostly Diablo, afair). So I "returned" to elma like in 2004 and I started playing internals and a little bit of cups (from czech/slovak scene). I made 44TT back then and after that I didn't rly know where to find more recs, so I kinda stopped. There were this cool czech elma forum and site for sharing state.dat, so I was little active there. I think I did know about moposite and mopolauta back then, but I was not a member. After that i was playing WoW for 3-4 years heavily on official server and I returned to elma probably in 2009-10. I registered on mopolauta and started to watch the scene and such. And that's kinda it :)
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Re: How did you found Elastomania?

Post by roope »

Very first touch to Elma/across (can't remember which) was at my cousin's place when I was a kid. We went there like once a year and I always wanted to go play teh mopo game first. Some years later, it was on some school computers and I also had it downloaded when looking for some free games (like pretty much every kid in Finland in the early 2000's). Again some years later, adi and nom started to play belma. They tried to lure me to play for quite some time, until I gave up in January 2008 and tried teh: and was hooked.
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

My story is simple. I saw my older brother playing it one day. Then I started to play because we shared the same computer.
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

Bludek wrote:My friends and I were going to computer room on breaks between classes and we were playing it several times a day.
Excactly the same story for me. Played it in school for the first time in 2002 I think, a friend gave me the full version on CD in 2003 and since then i've been playing without any breaks. :)
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
Labs
37mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Labs »

In like 2000 i was at one of my schoolmate and he showed the game. He told it was on a windows 98 cd (wtf?). I played a bit with it and i was a total nab. I wanted to get the game but has no internet and such so i did forget the game about for 4 years. Then i found it in some game cd (maybe gamestar), and i got the full version after like 1-2 months of playing from the internet. Basically we had only one computer at home, so i challanged always my twin brother to play (NopeX).
Team SPEED

Madness
35mins club

Re: How did you find Elastomania?

Post by Madness »

First time I saw Elma was on a computer in a library where I was killing time waiting for the bus when I was in primary school. After a few days I came back equipped with a packet of floppy disks and got it home on my computer. Over time I started to wonder what other people's times are and stuff and then I found Moposite and several Czech sites, saw all those neat stats, downloaded lots of replays (bought another bundle of floppy disks to get it all home :)) and that was the moment I got hooked and started playing it like crazy. That was back in May 2006.
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

floppies in 2006? hardcore

i found across bak in 70s or something at friend place. i spyed mans playing it and they couldnt get past first hole of over and under. It looked like the best game ive ever seen and later in the evening i went bak to frend with floppies to get a copy, and then i stayed at home and never went to frend places anymore. Im still at home
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Zweq wrote:floppies in 2006? hardcore
Yeah, there was no CD burner and I didn't have a flash drive. It was in 2004.

Luckily, Elma didn't take so much space. I remember there were some other nice games I wanted to bring home and I had to pack it, split it into like a hundred(s) of 1.44 MB files and then come there every day with 30 floppy disks... :D
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

Lukazz wrote:
Bludek wrote:My friends and I were going to computer room on breaks between classes and we were playing it several times a day.
Excactly the same story for me. Played it in school for the first time in 2002 I think, a friend gave me the full version on CD in 2003 and since then i've been playing without any breaks. :)
same here :D Just started in 2008 :(
Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Post by Mawane »

Back in the beginning of classes in my 1st year of high school (equivalent), in the informatics class, I saw people playing it instead of doing what teacher was asking us to do. Seemed so cool, elasticity, gravity, fashionable colors :D So decided to try myself, everybody was playing the shareware version. Then I wanted more and made researches and got the full game.

On my moposite page I wrote several years ago:
I started to play when my class played Elasto Mania instead of working and my friends showed me this game. I never stopped since this time.

PS: please change topic to "How did you find Elastomania?" instead of found.
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

First I found across back in mid 90s when me and my parents visited some neighbours. I played many game with other kids. Next day I came back there with some floppies and one game I brought was across. I didn't play across very often, but I liked the game. Then few years later in 2000 during one of the first lessons on computers in new school I spotted someone playing game that looked like across. He didn't know what to do, so I shouted something like: use up arrow to move forward! The game obviously turned out to be Elma. Then as before, for next lesson I was equipped with floppies. Then I mostly played some externals. I didn't play it on regular basis. Then in 2008 I wanted to see if anyone still plays Elma. I found out that not only people play, but that there is online mode too. I made an account here and you can read my introduction.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

My brothers got it from a floppy disk and installed it to our homecomputer and to few comps in their school. I was very young back then since it must have been 2000 or 2001. Across I never tried. Anyways I always knew elma and a few years later i decided to give it a try again. My target was to finish all ints and quit but it very much looks like I got hooked xd
Rank #1 battler and the champion of BOSS cup :gaa:
36 club since 02/2024
Bismuth
Kuski
Team: <3

Post by Bismuth »

My cousin had it on his computer and I played it when I was about 7 or 8 years old; it was in 2000-2001. I remembered about it much later and after a very big memory effort I found the name and the game, that was probably around 2007. My cousin and I installed the full versions and started challenging each other in TT. We got our TT from around 1:10 to 55 minutes doing that. I found moposite a long time ago but didn't register until 2009.
:mrhat:
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

Bludek wrote:For me it was pretty ez:
Back in the 2000, shareware Elma was among few games, that were on every computer in our high school. I have NO idea who brought it first (probably some older dude), but I want to thank him :D My friends and I were going to computer room on breaks between classes and we were playing it several times a day. The breaks were quite short, so there were only few externals levels made on each comp (since it takes some time to make a lev). So we were hoyling them and we also tried to finish all 18 int levels on every computer. After some time teachers found out about it and deleted it, but I did already had it at home, so no problem there :)

I was also playing Icy Tower and Diablo II LoD back in the days (mostly Diablo, afair). So I "returned" to elma like in 2004 and I started playing internals and a little bit of cups (from czech/slovak scene).

same story just no Diablo involved
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

LOL topic name, obviously it should be "find" not "found".

I played across as 7 year old at friends cousin place.
Some year after that across 2 came and my friend got it to their PC and I played it some there.

When we had own PC at my home I transfered elma with a floppy and played and played and played.
I had downloaded many mopo-replays from moposite and tried to make the same tricks in internals.

Some years later I found mopolauta and irc, this was in 2007.
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Bjenn wrote:LOL topic name, obviously it should be "find" not "found".

I played Across as a 7-year-old at my friend's cousin's place.
Some years after that Across 2 came out and my friend got it on their PC and I played it some there.

When we had our own PC at my home, I transferred Elma with a floppy and played and played and played.
I had downloaded many mopo-replays from Moposite and tried to do the same tricks in Internals.

Some years later I found Mopolauta and IRC, this was in 2007.
Look who's talking...
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

Madness wrote:Look who's talking...
Madness and his lovely wifes
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Brother used to have it on USB at high school, and I got to have a go. Was fun, so I kept playing, making levels etc. (trial version of course) It was a huge exciting adventure.
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
farnsworth
Kuski

Post by farnsworth »

back in 2000 or so, at school. like many, many, many so many others.

was more a cs kid tho. so 12 years passed and 2012 i started playing and 2013 i ended up here (:
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

I first heard about the game early 2006 in the end of the first year at upper secondary school. My whole class started talking about how cool the game was, and I didn't quite understand, when I asked one guy he said "you catch apples with a motorcycle". Then I thought of it like a normal online arcade game.

Then later out in second year at school, I had a friend visiting at 6 October 2006. It was a friday and my uncle celebrated his 50 year anniversary, so my parents were gone all night. My friend brought a usb stick with shareware elma and showed me the game, then we played through the first 18 levs and he challenged me to beat his times. My brother was also home and had a friend visiting, they had lots of alcohol, and shared with us. So first time I played elma was first time I tried alcohol, very memorable day.

Next day I started playing after breakfast, and got addicted right away, and tried beating all the times I could. I was happy when got under 17 in Warm up, got 16.80 and his time was 16.85. Then next friday he came back, and I was happy when showing my new times, untill he showed his, which were a lot better. He then had 15.70 in Warm up, and from that point is was just hoyling untill I beated him, which was in June 2009.

After I got the game I took it with me and installed on school computers, some had tried it before and most enjoyed playin it, we played a lot 06-07, whenever teacher went out, and in every break. There were 15 students in my class, and we only had four computers, so was a speedrun to get one. Was funny when people made "impsy levs" and I finished them in couple of mins. Tried getting them onto the scene and Moposite, but none bothered :P. Was this one guy who loved making levs, quite good ones like old-school type. I saw him testrun and he fell with one wheel outside a hang after 2-3 mins, then he just clicked escape and said that it was impossible to get up.
Pingywings
Kuski
Team: singy

Post by Pingywings »

kind of funny actually, sort of similar to all you people playing elma in school but also pretty different. my dad is a teacher and he noticed his students playing elma in his lessons like you guys did (around 2002 or something). ofc he told them off, but then after the lesson was finished he went and got the game himself cause he wanted to play it. He brought it home and i remember slightly playing it when i was about 6. later in 2011 i remembered the game and felt a sudden rush of nostalgia. bought it again and liked the scene, now i'm here
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

Mats wrote:Then later out in second year at school, I had a friend visiting at 6 October 2006. - - Then next friday he came back, and I was happy when showing my new times, untill he showed his, which were a lot better. He then had 15.70 in Warm up, and from that point is was just hoyling untill I beated him, which was in June 2009.
That's some serious zworqy-like progress, beating 15,70 in Warm Up in under three years
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

Orcc wrote:
Mats wrote:Then later out in second year at school, I had a friend visiting at 6 October 2006. - - Then next friday he came back, and I was happy when showing my new times, untill he showed his, which were a lot better. He then had 15.70 in Warm up, and from that point is was just hoyling untill I beated him, which was in June 2009.
That's some serious zworqy-like progress, beating 15,70 in Warm Up in under three years
Hahaha, ment beating his TT, and he hoyled aswell all along
devin
Kuski

Post by devin »

ehh I found elma one day while I was in 7th grade with a friend of mine. I had internet connection at my house and we were searching for motorcycle games because we both rode dirtbikes. I found the shareware version and it was the hardest shit in the world, but I was determined. This would have been in 2000. I've picked it up and put it down so many times I can't even count. Now the real purpose of my visit to the lovely forums here at mopolauta: Someone please upload to kopasite eol folder? Im visiting my mother and itching to play tonight so plz help a brother out :)

Edit, just elma.res file to kopasite
-brag
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

My older brothers played Action Supercross (or Across as we called it) in like 2000. I tried it and sucked (I was 6), but still played a lot. A few years ago (2011 maybe) I found the long lost gem again and nostalgia'd out, then I got Elma 1.2 and started playing properly. Got EOL to work flawlessly on my Mac three days ago =D
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

you can always find clean eol folder here www.jappe2.net/elma/ElmaOnline.zip
ToMaT
devin
Kuski

Post by devin »

Thank you hosp, u the man :)