Playing completely hidden

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

adi
36mins club

Playing completely hidden

Post by adi »

As we know, since 2011 it has been no more possible to play offline, which is actually quite sad. Ofc it's technically possible if hide chat, battle status etc. However hiding chat might cause some misunderstandings, because everyone can still see you in F5 list. Also it's not so nice that others can always see when/what you are playing (privacy problem).

And some reasons why I would like to hide myself sometimes:
1. There are too many disturbances that makes it hard to concentrate on intensive external or cup hoyling.
2. It's not nice to refuse from battles all the time, allthough I don't care much if someone complains.
3. I don't really need a reason. There is no need for others to see when I'm playing and what lev.

I hope that playing completely hidden will be possible in new elma version.
Team MiE
Mats
39mins club

Re: Playing completely hidden

Post by Mats »

Great joke Adi :D
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

for real, sucks you can't be hidden in eol. nothing more to add. everyone could expect zweq's bounce back wr, not a 46 though, everyone knew spef's getting 29 wr (most likely), osv osv.
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

For real I totally agree, not always want to play public.
Thundr-
37mins club

Post by Thundr- »

Wasnt this one of the reasons John stopped höylaing ints?
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

personally i dont really understand why anybody would care since you can hide chat, yourself, battle status and pretty much everything really. surely people might be able to see that you are playing internal 29 or whatever but so what? anyhow i will never understand this need but fuck it if it makes people happy then why not. also if april fools joke then good job i guess you got me....?
God Bless America
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

Yes, and I brought it up back then.
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Post by roope »

gimp wrote:personally i dont really understand why anybody would care since you can hide chat, yourself, battle status and pretty much everything really. surely people might be able to see that you are playing internal 29 or whatever but so what? anyhow i will never understand this need but fuck it if it makes people happy then why not. also if april fools joke then good job i guess you got me....?
I don't think anyone seems like they're joking.
It's just a privacy issue. Like adi said: it's nobody's business what I'm playing. There shouldn't even be a need for a specific reason for wanting to be totally hidden, though I guess many people do have their reasons. Sometimes I too feel like hoyling levs totally "offline", but it's just not possible. There's a huge difference between offline playing and online playing with everything hidden.
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

i forgot how was it in the release version - but if you hide everything - do others actually see your finished times? I know you see your own even if you are hidden, but do the others see you? as far as i remember they shouldnt, but i might be wrong
[carebox]
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

They don't see your times in F7 but in F5 they see that you're playing Warm Up every day, so your WR won't be that big of a surprise.
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

roope wrote:It's just a privacy issue. Like adi said: it's nobody's business what I'm playing.
i don't really understand the problem here. most of us probably have facebook, a smartphone, WhatsApp and whatnot, but it's a privacy issue now that people know what level you're hoyling? but okay, if people think that's important...
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
ROKKEBOL
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by ROKKEBOL »

kuchitsu wrote:They don't see your times in F7 but in F5 they see that you're playing Warm Up every day, so your WR won't be that big of a surprise.
vtf interrnal tables autoupdate every sunday anyway, externals almost immediately. why care?

Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

I completely agree, and have also brought it up before. Sometimes I just wanna fire up elma and play by myself, for myself. I don't want to know other people are seeing me play, even if I can't see them.

I guess if you don't share those feelings it's hard to explain, but oftentimes the reason I decide to play elma is because i DON'T want to be social and I don't want people to know what I'm doing. Elma is my sancturay, and sometimes I just want to enjoy it alone.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

It's mostly for consentration and to hoyl without distractions. If I forget to turn off F1 then I get curios if someone enters same lev and I spy them, talk to them instead of hoyling like I intended. Sometimes it's good to chillout all alone and just hoyl. So the thing is that I don't trust myself ignoring everything if it's right in front of me. Devil may trick ya.
ROKKEBOL
Kuski

Post by ROKKEBOL »

Is it possible to make an little additional eol server (like belma server) which only pro mans would be allowed connect to, (under4x TT for example), where they able to hoyl levs and results will synchronize with eol db afterwards? Best solve imo

Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

RedLine wrote:Is it possible to make an little additional eol server (like belma server) which only pro mans would be allowed connect to, (under4x TT for example), where they able to hoyl levs and results will synchronize with eol db afterwards? Best solve imo
only for under 35tt imo.
ROKKEBOL
Kuski

Post by ROKKEBOL »

Lukazz wrote: only for under 35tt imo.
well, if adi, bune or finman cares, so why prevent? mans can have "bad" tt but still good wr chances on some levs i mean

Spef
34mins club

Post by Spef »

Is annoying when people come to the lev I'm playing hidden, or when Nekit and others chat to me the moment I enter a lev. Proplayerproblems
[10:47:49] (Hosp) tol thinks that all there is in life is a gf, status, money blabl
[10:48:19] (ANATOLIY) not all hosp =)
[10:48:29] (ANATOLIY) but elma must be at second screen
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Lukazz wrote:
roope wrote:It's just a privacy issue. Like adi said: it's nobody's business what I'm playing.
i don't really understand the problem here. most of us probably have facebook, a smartphone, WhatsApp and whatnot, but it's a privacy issue now that people know what level you're hoyling? but okay, if people think that's important...
Totally different thing. I choose to have a Facebook account and all those, and I choose to share that information. I can't choose to be totally hidden in EOL.
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

that doesn't make it any less weird to choose to have a facebook account and at the same time think that it's a huge problem that others know that you're hoyling ints. weird priorities, youknow.
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

I don't think it's weird. As I said, totally different things. Different kind of privacy. Don't even understand why are you linking those two things, I'm not prioritizing either. Of course it's not the end of the world if people see I'm playing a lev. But still, within Elma, playing totally hidden is one of the things I would like to have.
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
danitah
Kuski

Post by danitah »

I agree, would be very nice. If I just want to play some externals, I don't want people to ask me why I'm not playing battles or ask me to make lev. (Not saying I don't like when people ask me to make lev, but sometimes I just want to play a bit for myself.) Also I can very much understand if someone is playing cup/int and don't want people to see how much they are playing, makes it more interesting for others to see cup results\wr updates etc also. I guess easiest way to make this would be to just show blank lev in F5 when people are hidden in the normal way, the best way would be to add a separate option of it. Only bad thing about this would be that I sometimes see people randomly playing some old lev of mine and it makes me feel good :p But I think it would a good thing overall.

Lukazz: Facebook does have an option to turn off chat so people don't see you are online, that would be a better comparison imo :P
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Seems like interesting misunderstanding between type A and B personalities :)

If you turn chat off right away you wouldn't know if anybody was messaging you. Battle status hidden takes care of that distraction. Basically it is easy to replicate what you all are asking for. I guess people will know what lev you may or may not be playing? Do people really stalk you and care? If they do do you really care that much? and you wouldn't even know they were looking at you if you hide your chat anyways! When I see people in random internal all day I usually just think AFK.

I don't understand the problem being so severe that John would have to quit entirely, but hey I don't get a lot of things, if it will make man's happy then Mila could you add feature?
God Bless America
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

Hide level from F5 when player is hidden, and put some mark beside player name [*] when they have chat hidden. That seems like the best solution in my mind.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Also you can't really replicate a total offline experience in eol. You still get the console messages at top left, unless there's some way to turn those off that I don't know about? I can easily get distracted if I see "Battle countdown timer started" at top left, and choose to just play that one FF. Then once you enter the FF people will realize you're there and start talking etc, and it feels rude not to respond.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
danitah
Kuski

Post by danitah »

gimp wrote:When I see people in random internal all day I usually just think AFK.
Well you can easily tell if they are playing or not when they restart and you can see the level flashing.
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

The most disturbing fact is that in F5 people can clearly see when you entered and when you left (died/finished) the level, making it possible for them to estimate you drove a WR by means of a stopwatch.
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

Madness wrote:The most disturbing fact is that in F5 people can clearly see when you entered and when you left (died/finished) the level, making it possible for them to estimate you drove a WR by means of a stopwatch.
i worry about that a lot too.
danitah
Kuski

Post by danitah »

Quite often people will esc few secs before flower when they see run is crappy so I don't think it would be too reliable :P
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

that's probably how spef got his 29.xx on headbanger:
http://mopolauta.moposite.com/viewtopic ... 60#p241360
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

worst case was when i fund long haul start, i was constantly re entering lev, very ez to guess some new style in first 1sec
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Indeed I forgot to account for stopwatch method spying.
God Bless America
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Okay Lukazz and gimp, we get it you don't need this and don't understand why someone would want it. No need to mock every message now o,o
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

i suppose madness was joking too.
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

I support this hidden thingy. It feels a bit lame to say no if someone invites you to a battle. Not even because im hoyling some other lev seriously but because i like to just cruise around in random levs. I personally try to play elma to relax and battles or other events can be quite exhausting.
Rank #1 battler and the champion of BOSS cup :gaa:
36 club since 02/2024