Editing levels

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Editing levels

Post by Mawane »

Just a topic about making levels, design tricks and stuff.

I'll just start with something that gets on my nerves, why do so many people do this on the right while you could do that on the left?!

Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]
jblaze
38mins club

Re: Editing levels

Post by jblaze »

cuz distance option is secret balazs hidden trick
no i just think its not easy to find such info in editor maybe if someone doesnt know of existence of distance usage, and maybe some dont know how to use it. rightclicking a pic only for the pros

rofl post maw, why would u piss over somebody torturing himself with placing milion tiny devils :d
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
(Devann) u are the master of your own universe. remember that
Mawane
Kuski

Post by Mawane »

OCD :/

and yeah, maybe unknown feature that distance, but i see it from many experienced designers as well, and i showed picture tile, but usually people just spam click randomly.

I'll show other designing tricks later
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Good question Mawane. I'm aware of the distance field but I find it a bit difficult to use. I remember I tried to do that thing on the left once but for some reason it didn't look correct in the lev. Inspired by your post, I'll try it again the next time I need it.

I spam click randomly too btw, which usually results in a few little blue dots here and there. :D :D

Can I complain here too btw? I hate when people don't bother to fix buggy autograss edges, looks very ugly.
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

Maybe Mawane instead of ranting write some tutorial. I also tried the distance field, but like in kuchitsu case it didn't work for me.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

Its pretty simple, ofc you need to put the right Letter in the box, G,S,U then lower the number the closer the image is, so in example say brick is 475 then the ground ones have to be smaller than 475 to be closer to you to cover brick image.
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
Chris
Kuski

Post by Chris »

Thanks. I might try one day. Lately I'm to lazy to put any masks in my levs.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

You mans hev serious stockholm syndrome with that old clipart and jagged bright green idiot system gak.

Sory for this post. =-)
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

maw.it kinda annoys me too. but a reason ppl do it is cause if you dont have ground bg. and mask the ground it will look fucked up for all ppl using ground sky/default. (I know you had ground as bg in example. but still)
Elasto Mania - ez better
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

Chris wrote:Maybe Mawane instead of ranting write some tutorial. I also tried the distance field, but like in kuchitsu case it didn't work for me.
he just fucking did the tutorial!
Elasto Mania - ez better
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

Mats wrote:Its pretty simple, ofc you need to put the right Letter in the box, G,S,U then lower the number the closer the image is, so in example say brick is 475 then the ground ones have to be smaller than 475 to be closer to you to cover brick image.
and that shows you dont know how masking works. ok. try again!
Elasto Mania - ez better
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

Whats wrong with that.

Maybe u mean keep above 500, should perhaps said that
Last edited by Mats on 14 Apr 2015, 10:57, edited 1 time in total.
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

Design trick: when you're creating a vertex, you can move along the vertices of the polygon by pressing space and enter alternatively
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Mawane
Kuski

Post by Mawane »

Orcc wrote:Design trick: when you're creating a vertex, you can move along the vertices of the polygon by pressing space and enter alternatively
lol yeah, thought it was an external editor feature only, was stoked when realized was pos with norm editor xD learned about it last year lol

How to easily place apples in a pipe lev with SLE (maybe even ALE?) if you forgot to use apples while tracing pipe with tool:
1. retrace your pipe over it and delete generated pipe, no need very accurate placement
2a. draw polygon
2b. unsmooth it
2c. convert vertices to apples
3. many other ways pos, just wanted to suggest those

FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

There's also place object function in most editors I hear, maybe internal editor only thing though :|
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Mawane wrote:
Orcc wrote:Design trick: when you're creating a vertex, you can move along the vertices of the polygon by pressing space and enter alternatively
lol yeah, thought it was an external editor feature only, was stoked when realized was pos with norm editor xD learned about it last year lol

How to easily place apples in a pipe lev with SLE (maybe even ALE?) if you forgot to use apples while tracing pipe with tool:
1. retrace your pipe over it and delete generated pipe, no need very accurate placement
2a. draw polygon
2b. unsmooth it
2c. convert vertices to apples
3. many other ways pos, just wanted to suggest those
Okay I give up. I have read through this post so many times now, but I still don't understand the purpose of the "trick." It seems overly complicated. Why not just plonk apples down the usual way?
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
Mawane
Kuski

Post by Mawane »

sure placing manually works too, but i like automatic things, thinking outside the box. just a simple example, when level becomes massive, also can use for other purposes than this like mwb1370, maybe you're too close-minded to your traditional ways. i discover new design ideas pretty often playing around with tools :)
Chris
Kuski

Post by Chris »

Ramone wrote:
Chris wrote:Maybe Mawane instead of ranting write some tutorial. I also tried the distance field, but like in kuchitsu case it didn't work for me.
he just fucking did the tutorial!
Where?
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

hmm never heard of before :)
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Mawane wrote:sure placing manually works too, but i like automatic things, thinking outside the box. just a simple example, when level becomes massive, also can use for other purposes than this like mwb1370, maybe you're too close-minded to your traditional ways. i discover new design ideas pretty often playing around with tools :)
Yeah I dunno. It just seems like way more work.
<nick-o-matic> niec

Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

Well ok, when using pics a number below 500 will be in foreground, and higher number in background of bike, so always keep masks over 500 to avoid bike going behind them. Anyway I always play with pictures in background option marked.
niN
Kuski
Team: HoHo

Post by niN »

I have a question that hopefully you or someone else can answer mawa:

Sometimes when I make levels, a thin horizontal line appears in the sky part of the level. Why is this? I heard a long time ago that this was a bug in the ALE editor. Is that the case? and it seems that diffrent zooms and resolutions also affects these lines. What is the score here, anybody knows?
Team HotHorses, and I'm converting to Icelandian now...
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

bugline. always happend. has nothing to do with external editors (as far as I know). and yes, they appear dif with dif reso etc.

So you can never be too sure if lev will be "ok" with all other reso/zoom possibilites than your own. When I picked levels for wc and made found I checked all levels with all possible values doable on my computer to avoid this.

If you have it simply go to the source of it. it always starts from a vertice, and can end in plain wall. just move that vertice and it will dissapear. can move like pixel is enough.

With my reso (and I think most used reso) there is bugline in circutious.
Elasto Mania - ez better
niN
Kuski
Team: HoHo

Post by niN »

Ramone wrote:bugline. always happend. has nothing to do with external editors (as far as I know). and yes, they appear dif with dif reso etc.

So you can never be too sure if lev will be "ok" with all other reso/zoom possibilites than your own. When I picked levels for wc and made found I checked all levels with all possible values doable on my computer to avoid this.

If you have it simply go to the source of it. it always starts from a vertice, and can end in plain wall. just move that vertice and it will dissapear. can move like pixel is enough.

With my reso (and I think most used reso) there is bugline in circutious.
Awesome info for me! Thanks ram. All these tutorials and informations should after some time be collected in mawas first post.
Team HotHorses, and I'm converting to Icelandian now...
Mawane
Kuski

Post by Mawane »

Ramone wrote:If you have it simply go to the source of it. it always starts from a vertex, and can end in plain wall. just move that vertex and it will disapear. can move like pixel is enough.
can also say that it is always from left (source) to right. also appears to happen more often when two vertices are very close
niN wrote:All these tutorials and information should after some time be collected in mawa's first post.
or can search for keywords in this topic, don't feel like having to keep 1st post up to date especially with long tutorials
zebra
Kuski
Team: TAP

Post by zebra »

About bug lines: When I made level generator my level editor, I was getting a lot of bug lines all the time, both ground bug lines and sky bug lines. Finally I decided that the generator always adds a random small constant to x and y coordinates of each vertex. That made the bug lines disappear. I guess the bug lines are caused by some bug in the drawing/rendering process. Probably there occurs a division by zero or something.
A winner of 4 GAA's (mc2 included), winner of mkup206, and a proud member of team TAP.
Play uni levels: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/uni.html
Homepage: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/elma.html
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

damn balazs such a bad programmer :D
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Tigro wrote:damn balazs such a bad programmer :D
If he wasn't Elma would be a boring game xP
<nick-o-matic> niec