Discord chat server for Elma players

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Discord chat server for Elma players

Post by 8-ball »

Join here:
https://discord.me/elma

Discord is a text and voice chat app for gamers, I already used it for various other communities so I thought why not make a server for Elma players as well.

It has numerous advantages over IRC, Skype, Teamspeak etc, so I hope everyone gives it a shot! This probably won't replace IRC as the main communication hub but who knows.

It should at least replace Whatsapp as it has a nice mobile app besides the web (browser) app and desktop app.

If anyone wants to help out by messing with the server settings, integrating various available bots or create your own bots, let me know and I'll give you admin.

Tips:

- If you use a different nickname in Discord for whatever reason, please set a server specific nickname as your Elma nick (press the bars button at the top)
- Mute notifications from any channel by clicking a button at top right
- Most of us found that voice chat (just listening included) only seems to work through desktop or mobile app, not browser
- If you want the chat to be more compact, try compact mode in settings or https://betterdiscord.net
- Go to #talk-to-bots to use music bot commands and test features such as those under !commands, let's try to keep other channels civil and readable
Last edited by 8-ball on 5 Apr 2017, 14:44, edited 4 times in total.
39:37,91
8-ball
39mins club

Re: Discord chat server for Elma players

Post by 8-ball »

We now have a music bot that plays requests in music voice channel!

Basic commands (use them in #talk-to-bots please to reduce clutter):
!play <search terms>
!play <youtube url>
!queue
!skip (vote to skip currently playing song)

Full list of commands: https://github.com/SexualRhinoceros/Mus ... mands-list
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Is nice.

Maybe this can encourage some to come by http://kopasite.net/up/g116gny370hgfxe/discordbot.png
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

seems they give some good levels there! definitely encouraged
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
(Devann) u are the master of your own universe. remember that
bene
Hot kuski
Team: dat

Post by bene »

I joined today so no longer without bone.
Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

no longer boneless*
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

This is better than I imagined!
Immediately created a server at my workplace for colleagues and killed skype :lol:
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

So I created a public Trello board for collecting/managing ideas and tasks for improvement of Elma Discord experience via bot features and otherwise. Input would be very welcome!

https://trello.com/b/WyGGKT38/elma-discord

Also I decided to opensource my bot development, maybe someone wants to help? I'm starting by cloning some of the commonly used #across commands, but a lot of other really cool stuff is also possible with discord.js and by integrating other APIs.

https://github.com/nodepowered/botman
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

Add links to songs for music bot's autoplaylist and they will be played when nothing is in !queue

Add here: http://tinyurl.com/musicmanautoplaylist
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Just so this topic isn't mostly 8-ball spam, I want to say I - to my own surprise - really like this app (only using it on PC though). Probably has a lot of potential if more people actually start regularly using it, which is at least somewhat possible since it's much more accessible than IRC. Music bot is good for hearing/recommending new music, and voice chat is much more effortless than some Skype.
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Yeah this is an all-round very useful and ez to use program. It works as skype, teamspeak and irc simultaniously, and does all parts very well. Custom bot creation possibilities are endless. This is much better than I expected it to be. Five second install, no setting up, not registering, no bullshit. Just install and use.
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

Should also mention it has a really nice mobile app, nice ui and much more instant and stable connection compared to irc apps.

And yea more interesting to make bots for.
bene
Hot kuski

Post by bene »

I use the mobile app every day to inform everyone when im pooping.
It has connection issues for me when i leave it open so have to restart it often.
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

This is quiteh promising! 48 kuskimans plus some bots joined the server alredi in a week-ish. With some improvements it could eventually replace both Skype and IRC (and Whatsapp, lel) and merge users of both.

Pros
- Very quick to check out and adopt. Mans who never wanted to setup an IRC client properly are joining this happily.
- Pretty widely used in gaming communities so many mans are already using it.
- Apparently much nicer to develop bots for this than IRC.
- A lot of the client interface is CSS so you can change most of it.
- Voice chat works by channels instead of like Skype where 1 person hosts, you have to call them to join and if the host quits, call ends, etc.
- Mobile app isn't riddled with horrible bugs like Skype.
- Log is saved on server so you don't need a bouncer or sach to get all of it.
- Embedded pics and sach.
- Overlay for fullscreen games maybe a nice thing? I haven't tried it. You can pick the programs it's enabled for.
- A bunch of litel things I can't think of atm.

Cons
- Can't stream video like in Skype.
- Browsing backlog sucks. It unloads most of what isn't in view so there's a lot of loading when you scroll a bit further back to find something.
- No way to export log or even just search it.
- Default layout has a lot of useless whitespace so there's a lot of that aforementioned scrolling. Probably a turnoff for most people used to any IRC client. It can be changed on the desktop version but takes a lot of tweaking.
- No highlight options, you can only get notified when someone says @yournick.
- Up arrow edits your last line instead of copying it to text field. Editing is probabli a pro for some people tho.
- It shows everyone when you're typing a line.
- Need an admin to make a private channel.
- Just missing a lot of small things you expect from any IRC client.
- Could further split the community if people don't want to migrate.

A lot of the cons can probably be fixed by writing plugins.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

yes; coal. used many times before for voice thing only and always liked. now very extreme un-fan of chatting in it though. dunno if ever gonna get used to from irc unless it suddenly fixes all those small things, so probably never gonna end up using 24/7, but is nice thought anyway. just too many small annoyances for me.
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

Maybe it's nice, but I can't stand checking like 10 different gaks at the same time. I will skip it for now.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

i like discord for 2 things, voice chat and pic pasting(this has been very useful for poe mans), however, there will be mans who wont use discord, but use irc / skype, so you have to use those anyway, gg.
Pab
38mins club

Post by Pab »

i like that i dont get disconnected all the time. Having many channels was overwhelming for my too, as chris said, but can easily mute channels that you dont like, ez get used to it. Skype is daed for me now, need to cut some chat already.
My Youtube Channel Level Stats Maker Battle Notifier!

Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

It's not necessary about many channels in discord, but I'm already checking like 4 message boards, irc, skype, messenger. I already try to reduce things I "must" check on internet. Maybe when discord becomes a thing in elma and irc dies I will leave irc, but for now I'm happy with irc.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

tried it, cant recommend
Sla
36mins club
Team: SpEF

Post by Sla »

tried it, playing EOL and talking at the same time about current battle, life, Elma or blabla with 1, 2, or whatever amount of players u want?, can recommend
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

Tried it and it's awesome.
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

emojis are winning me over slowly
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

There is now auto-upload to recsource if you paste link to file ending in .rec, or you can upload file in discord directly either by drag-drop or the file dialog, with optional message as description, ty for villej put api!
also cool imdb stuff and more coming as seen here http://mopolauta.moposite.com/viewtopic ... 75#p251375
non-discord mans missing out!!!11
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

that useless spam really would turn me off the program hardcore. very annoying even in #across some !lastfm and !c that used to be bad there but is pretty ok these days though
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

There's a channel specifically for using those bot commands. Not like anything would change the minds of those already firmly set to holding on to IRC for dear life anyway.
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

Kinda sad that Whatsapp talk moved there since all I saw in Discord was random spam. Orka read sach myself, I guess I'll just move out of teh conversation scene since I'm also ircing almost zero nowadays
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Post by ville_j »

I have to agree with that and most of the time I just scroll past everything because I don't care to see any of those bot things or cat pics or memes and orka dig if there is some real talk in between. Mostly following the developers channel where the interesting talk for me is happening. Irc still main channel for me ofc.
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

This is much better than IRC.
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

I like the bot when it's used for such as IMDB rating or other interesting things. But..

I Don't need no bot telling other people I drank coffee, ate a banana or took a piss at the gym.
I Don't need no bot viewing random pussycat pics, pussy pics, ass pics or whatever pics.

It's information I don't need, it's information in abundance. My brain goes bananas.

I might come back if and when those stupid bot-functions are removed.

I like discord, it has very good potential, but as it is now it's fucked up xD :beer:
It would work better if you could ban the bot in #general chat and only use it in bot-talk channel.
adi
36mins club

Post by adi »

Better than irc. It's also nice that there is talk-to-bots channel so there will be much less spam in #general. Actually irc is full of spam :wink:
Team MiE
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

I already stopped using Discord partly because of the spam. Was especially annoyed when stokedly went to see what people had been talking about in the worldcup channel and it was only spam :Z

Also, now I wanted to go check what's up there nowadays and can't connect in any way, neither with desktop app or browser, the connect screen just rolls on forever.
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

I agree with the excessive amount of spam, but I think it's not as bad as people make it seem.

Imo the best part is that when there's something you wanna talk to elmans about, you can go to discord and just start the conversation. Suddenly spam stops and those interested in the topic start talking and bringing in their opinions. Often great and informative discussions follow, as elmans are generally not the dumbest.

Imo you shouldn't expect discussions on any channel/program to be 100% quality and readable content. Discord is so usable that people just spend time there, unavoidably talking chit-chat. But if there's a topic you'd like to talk about - just bring it up :)

But yeah, the bots... Could be limited a bit :/ imdb is awesome, but the loggables should really be limited to a separate bot channel. Stats are awesome, yeah, but as others mentioned, browsing through what someone ate or drunk is a bit mundane.
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

The loggables really aren't a problem, less than in irc at any rate. We have a seperate channel (which you can easily mute) for commands such as loggables and other spam. Also we've decided that excessive spamming/botting will be moderated except in #talk-to-bots and #nsfw, so no more walls of !cofe and !bear in #general. In my opinion putting a blanket ban on commands seems a bit too much, cause sometimes it ties in with the conversation.
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

Yes, the feedback has been heard, we are only trying to make it a pleasant experience for everyone, which requires some compromise for all parties as everyone's idea of how people should be able to behave/express themselves is different. Some channels will be moderated heavier now to improve readability. I just don't think ragequitting at your first inconvenience is the right way to go about getting what you want.
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

So I keep complaining about teh same stuff but I maybe haven't said why I think it's important.

Bot spam is not enough of an issue that it would need its own channel in IRC because beisik clients with default settings show twice as much text per vertical space as Discord shows with the most compact layout available, so Discord boasts double the amount of scrolling, and scrolling is a horrible experience too.

If I scroll even just ~50 lines above the newest, the client starts loading text that was unloaded for no reason, and the scrollbar goes fakking bonkers, and I hev to release and grab it again. With intuitive moves (just stable cursor movement upwards) it takes me way above where I intended to go and I lose track of where I was. So it's really unnecessarily hard to simply catch up on what mans hev been talking about. Same thing happens when you scroll back down, because it's inconceivable that the user might want to scroll back down at some point.

Compare to tipikal usage of any IRC client: Text is shown compactly, scrolling works as you'd expect, so you might be inactive and only check in every now and then. It's not any kind of a hassle to keep up even if you're inactive. Occasional glance shows you double the amount of text as Discord, and if you need to scroll, it just works. This means everyone is far more likely to keep up with what's happening and keep coming back to a painless user experience. Yes setting up for the first time is not painless for everyone but this shouldn't be a tradeoff.

So the beisik experience of reading text has now been made much more of a hassle. I dunno how they managed to fuck up this simple shit that was so much better in software made decades ago. Yes these things might be fixed in the future, but you know, it's sach essential bare bones beisik usability issues and they failed so badly. It's not promising, especially as the majority of users probably just put up with it (Skype has been really popular for years and it's worse in similar ways). I could put up with it and migrate with the promise of fixes in the future, but it's far less enjoyable and a dealbreaker for many enough peopel that I'm guessing migration won't happen for now.
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

I guess that's certainly not perfect and a fix wouldn't hurt. Be normal man and use scroll wheel or page up/down though 8)
As for lines, compact mode would give you pretty much just as many lines as in irc if you added css for it, though it's not most beauty look and wish it could be improved and more customized myself. Gotten used to norm mode now somehow and actually like it almost...

I was very unconvinced at start, but last weeks I've probably written 100-150 lines in discord to each 1 line in irc and prefer it already even with all its faults and improvable aspects.
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

This is obviously very personal preference thing and you may think all of this look ugly as fuck, but I made some CSS rules for both normal and compact mode to make a bit more use of space. As you have all the CSS needed for most of the basic stuff in the interface and chat, you can just edit any padding, margins, text sizes etc to your own preference. It's very far from perfect and it's still kind of limited what you can do with CSS, but it may be of interest to some: https://gist.github.com/hexjelly/4719f1 ... bb2518b030

In order to use you'll have to download betterdiscord. It will give you an entry in the settings where you can paste your own CSS.

Normal mode example:

Compact mode example:
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

https://github.com/reactiflux/discord-irc can someone put this bridge bot to some channel?
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Oo, thank you very lot! That CSS is a huge improvement for me alreadi!
skint0r wrote:I guess that's certainly not perfect and a fix wouldn't hurt. Be normal man and use scroll wheel or page up/down though 8)
That's less cuntrol over scrolling speed... but! I just realized midclick+move cursor works, unlike mIRC. That's definitely a binus! Still, the infinite scroll sistem is horrible. It should at least hev a much bigger cache (or whatever it called) and never unload newer lines. Part of teh function of a scrollbar is to see what part of the page you're actually on and how much theer is left, but this scrollbar doesn't indicate teh at all.
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

IRC-Discord bridge implemented, was simple enough. For it to work both ways we obviously need 1 IRC channel for each Discord channel, so here they are:
#discord-general
#discord-developers
#discord-other-games
#discord-worldcup7

#across is also relayed to #across on Discord and back, let's see how that works. This pretty much removes the need for myself to use IRC anymore.

Will still try to patch it to use nicknames instead of usernames so easier to tell who is who in IRC.

EDIT: currently broken, looking for a fix

EDIT 2: fixed, should be stable now! Also shows correct nicknames now.
Last edited by 8-ball on 23 Sep 2016, 22:28, edited 2 times in total.
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Wanted: a MIRC script that allows you to disable a certain highlight in only certain channels. I want to be in Discord IRC channels for logs but it's annoying to hear bling every time I talk in Discord, since my Discord nick is roope and I have roope as a highlight in MIRC :<
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

Code: Select all

ON *:TEXT:*roope*:#:{
  if ($chan != #discord-general && $chan != #discord-whatever) {
    beep 2 150
  }
}
You can also change color of the line and such but will need to look that up.
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

people say this is better but no one uses this? now with discord bridge i notice there is maybe 10% of chat compared to #across. when i tried briefly there was a lot of mans on the list but maybe 3 people talking in general channel last week, maybe they use voip thing instead or something which obviously doesnt work with bridge bot but duno
theunreal
Beginner kuski

Post by theunreal »

Nice one, but you better sum all the commands in the main thread. it's hard to understand them in all replies.
Pokemon GO Specialist
Making 100% IV Collection using IV calculator
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

Made plugin for BetterDiscord to randomly color nicks in chat for anyone who wants to use: https://github.com/hexjelly/BD-colorizeNicks
ImageImageImage

"wut how do i dont understand read in link???":
get betterdiscord and install: https://betterdiscord.net/home/
save as: https://github.com/hexjelly/BD-colorize ... .plugin.js
put in: %appdata%\Roaming\BetterDiscord\plugins
Sla
36mins club
Team: SpEF

Post by Sla »

bola 8 and others: Suggestion: When announcing new balle (wich is on different colour to see it faster) also would be good to put Balle queue on different colour too, cuz sometimes its hard to read it having the same colour font of normal chat and queue isnt always right down "New balle started..."

And is it possible to put sound only when new balle or queue is added? I have all discord sounds off, so i want to put sound just to "New balle..." or "Balle queue..."
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

Sla wrote:And is it possible to put sound only when new balle or queue is added? I have all discord sounds off, so i want to put sound just to "New balle..." or "Balle queue..."
Enable notifications only for #battle channel in the Notification Settings (right click on ElastoMania icon).
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Discord looks kinda dangerous to be honest. There are channels for talking about all sorts of topics. You have bots that can play music, log your coffee consumption, post porn pics, anything. All these notifications want you to stay updated on everything. It seems like an easy way to take your fear of missing out to the next level, spend a lot of time on trivial stuff, and then suffer from that. Now, perhaps it's not a problem for well-organized people, but if you're like me and you often find yourself getting suckered into pesky time wasters, I advise you to be careful with this thing. It's worse than IRC in that aspect, believe it or not.
bene
Hot kuski

Post by bene »

I just muted everything that is uninteresting one day and that way I don't get any notifications for it and keep updated and crazy about stuff that matters to me. Can even hide muted channels so you don't see them at all.