PROcheck - Are you pro? What is Pro? (level included)

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

dannyelmer
Kuski

PROcheck - Are you pro? What is Pro? (level included)

Post by dannyelmer »

Short story

Are you pro in Elma?
Then you should be able to find a way to finish this level: http://kopasite.net/up/t979hz6map8qfkl/PROcheck.lev

1.) Please don't ruin this by posting tips or sharing a rec in a preejaculatory fashion now, thank you in advance!
2.) But do post here if you managed find the way to finish it (just dont write time to give hints..)

DEADLINE: 30th October 20.00 CET

Post best times and replay in here when deadline is up!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Long story

1. What makes an elma player regarded as professional?
2. Can we measure this in any way?

Started thinking about the now (historically ancient) official moposite target times list devised back in the day, like pre-2006, that was based on the internal levels one could measure their elastomanical prowess against the current best times around: http://old.moposite.com/misc_text_files ... a_v1.3.txt

Now bear in mind, the one above (1.3 Final) was communicatively revised in 2006 because of new faster styles + along with the implementation of alovolt and better understanding of tuning etc.
There was even more noob-friendlier versions before in the past that would (technically), by todays standard, make any "beginner" be regarded as "pro" or even "world class".

So in some personal attempt of trying to defining a "Pro elma player" I tweaked a level inspired by an old balle, based on what the standards are today (tricks, tuning, fps and so on) and try to see if people can meet my biased standards.
Feel free to post your own. This is subjective in all means and only meant as an 'fun sporadic event'.

But also discuss what YOU think defines as PRO or BEGINNER, what standards do we compare to, uphill battle vs speed loop, short balle vs long balle, zweq vs toringe yada yada. Do you have ideas or levels you wish to try on the general public? Share and talk

--

disclaimer1: Can't be arsed to resurrect old alias, going with the 2nd best option mainly by association)
disclaimer2: Posted here in General mainly to discuss the subjectivity of the term "PRO" regarding elastomania. Consider it joint discussion/mini-contest
disclaimer3: The term "Pro" is equivilant to "World Class" if one would compare to the old target list in my, basicly meaning you are not zweq but good enough
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Re: PROcheck - Are you pro? What is Pro? (level included)

Post by roope »

First finish o/

maybe will write a bit more about the definition gak later
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
adi
36mins club

Post by adi »

2nd finish!
Team MiE
dannyelmer
Kuski

Post by dannyelmer »

Nice see so many mans give it a go already! Was it obvious what to do from the start? How long did it take from 1st play to finish? You think there are many styles or only one possible way to touch flower?

Posters could write a little quick summary about the process when downloaded and played along with posting you finished here, interesting to hear. And your thoughts overall about the subject of course.
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

pardon my noobness and laziness, but i finished with milaSL. I just want to say nice level, took some time to understand how it's supposed to be finished, and once you see the solution it's simple and hoylable, feeling dumb having tried impsy styles at first
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

The final solution was the 3rd style I tried. Took maybe 10-15m to finish knowing that people had already found the flower so the design managed to fool me a little bit at first. In the end it is a fairly easy level.

For your question about defining a pro I think one must be able to understand the essential parts of a level and what makes a fast run.
New people have the tendency of finding flashy tricks such as brutals to be the most important part of a replay. In reality that is not always the case.
Executing the ideal moves in an essential spot can completely make your run and give you a good time. And often those moves are not hard at all.. It just takes skill and experience to understand the importance of them. And being able to find them in the first place.
Rank #1 battler and the champion of BOSS cup :gaa:
36 club since 02/2024
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

played wrong style at first as well. my playtime was scattered, but around 8-15mins. the style is probably not possible

people tend to rate peoples skill, selecting top3s, top5s, top10s etc of best players. its usually not reliable; there are many guys (10-20?) who could play way better one day than the others. it depends on levels/shape of the day etc. some players have more achievments and it makes them rated better. if you look at all players (from the best to the worst) the skill is gradually decreasing, and ofc some of the players cant surpass some other but its impossible to set the borders well. the list is mobile, you cant simply say who is pro and who is not. there are really, really few players who never nab (if any?). those 10-20 players are considered pro by everyone, but theres a lot of other players who would also be considered as pro by some, but would not be considered pro by the rest. who is right who is wrong??
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
(Devann) u are the master of your own universe. remember that
dannyelmer
Kuski

Post by dannyelmer »

Zero wrote:The final solution was the 3rd style I tried. Took maybe 10-15m to finish knowing that people had already found the flower so the design managed to fool me a little bit at first. In the end it is a fairly easy level.
Was totally going for this, nice to hear I succeeded. Tnx!
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

Who are you dannyelmer? You won WCup607 but I have no idea who you are, please step forward.
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

In the level name it says "by BarTek", so I guess that's him unless it's some form of trolling... I've heard rumors that dannyelmer=BarTek a long time ago, not sure how people knew.
ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Post by ville_j »

I thought everyone knew already when the wcup6 was on that it was bartek.
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
dannyelmer
Kuski

Post by dannyelmer »

Yep. It's old news. Couldn't bother to retrieve my old lauta nick so using this one now.

OT: Anyone else maybe have idea how we define a most generic criteria boiled down to a simple maneuver/trick in the game? Can it be done even? Or maybe close enough general indicator (like IQ tests).

Zero, you've been making levels non-stop and certainly got the juice in yo fingers to play elma, wanna try some own version of this and make a level?

I consider this more fun experiment rather than define super serial set of rules for the definition, but would be fun see what the community comes up with - and we can have a go at trying it out for few loals.

--

EDIT: Is analysing the level first and trying to find a way to solve it the main component behind being pro, or is copying/doing obvious thing (tight pipe, nothing else between A and B) that solely focuses on fingas and reflexes that determines it, or maybe combo of both dunno. But if so, with part of the blend is more important for generic success at this game, to you know, get best time. Headache.
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

started reading this topic at 2:08(ctrl+H), after finishing most of the first post I went to elma, found style at 2:23 (saved unfinished rec), finished at 2:27. Nicely maed lev. It was the 4th style I tried. Felt good of myself after I saw jonharkulsykkel and other pros finished too.

btw I remember WCup607 situation very vividly (obv, coz my lev). I didn't know who dannyelmer is for many years until someone (ville_j mebe?) told me at this year's FEM. Also I was so sad it wasn't a 29:xx time (even though when I tested final version of lev, I thought wintime'll be like 31:high :) ), would be so cool. I always try to hoyl levs till I get uCERTAINLIMIT time.
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
dannyelmer
Kuski

Post by dannyelmer »

Alright, it's past deadline.

Share your replays, interesting to see if all found the same route, moves, conclusion etc to reach the flower!
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

Rank #1 battler and the champion of BOSS cup :gaa:
36 club since 02/2024
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

I thought it was gonna be something weirder so didn't even try bounce...

This is the closest I got: http://www.recsource.tv/r/mfvabigjdx

Tried a few other promising styles but this seemed teh most realistik for me.

Nice lev, would like to see if anyone finished with something other than a bounce.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

Only tried 10 mins in SL, but once you find the easiest style, it's very hoylable. I see it's almost the same as Zero has posted. Most likely other elmans have finished with this style as well. I wonder if multiple styles are possible.

The easiest style:
http://www.recsource.tv/r/uibgteqrfk

Are these possible?
http://www.recsource.tv/r/flahrzdwec
http://www.recsource.tv/r/aurotsbxqe
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

culinko wrote:Only tried 10 mins in SL, but once you find the easiest style, it's very hoylable. I see it's almost the same as Zero has posted. Most likely other elmans have finished with this style as well. I wonder if multiple styles are possible.

The easiest style:
http://www.recsource.tv/r/uibgteqrfk

Are these possible?
http://www.recsource.tv/r/flahrzdwec
http://www.recsource.tv/r/aurotsbxqe
I tried that ez style, didn't finish though. I can't really see any other styles than variations of that.
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

Found style after few minutes, some more minutes playing to finish 11,62.
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

http://www.recsource.tv/r/tmzcsvlnuy

first finish in that lev, if anyone orkas. Similar to Zero style. Had to wroom to slow down the spinning to get oke angle for bnc. Bnc a bit diff too.
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

jonsykkel
Kuski

Post by jonsykkel »

only bad recs so far so i guess ill put a good one http://www.recsource.tv/r/nwsavcogex
status:ONLINE - - -  drinking:GOFE - - - iq:85 - - - elasto mania ranking:#1
dannyelmer
Kuski

Post by dannyelmer »

Thananx for sharing replays and doing the effort indulging this old loud-mouthed bastard!

Saw every rec posted, and it was nice viewing variations of the intended style/trickasaur.
Even got to see posted attempts at "almost possible" but quite not doable styles at hang and free-fall (which I spent lot of time trying to make as equally alluring but in the end impossible). Though if you succeeded doing it you would be far better than "pro" anyway, so good job on earning those extracurricular points.

Trying to mask the level as some random hastily put together 5-min hard balle was kind of the main intention. I put the start in a way that enabled hoylers to get in position to execute the trick easily - which was the hardest decision to be honest.
The more playable a lev, the more would actually try to finish it but the easier it would seem (which kinda defeats the purpose of brainy pro lev measurement attempt etc).
Though my goal was not to create some obscure hard-ass zweq level either so couldn't put the start in some weird place either.

Still very interested to see what levels you guys might come up with, with your own spin on this subject and post here.

/B
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Here's a new level: http://elmaonline.net/statistics/level/361036

If you finish under 20, then you are not such a complete noob as everyone thought you were.
If you finish under 13.75, then you are a pro.
If you finish under 11, then you are the boss.