Levels that you emotionally bond to...

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

Schumi
39mins club

Levels that you emotionally bond to...

Post by Schumi »

Hi all!

I hope that no such topic exists here (at least I didn't find one), because I would like this to be a little tribute for the forgotten levels. But not just cool and great levels, but unique and exceptional that somehow vanished in the Elma Scene, but still live in our memories.

I suppose that everyone has one or two levels in his memories, that he bonds to emotinally, and I mean hear not simple great levels. I mean those levels, that brings up memories, feelings. When you open it in Elma, it is not just a "cool-cuplev" or "awesome-designed-megatricklev". It is something special, like your first girlfriend, or dreamy childhood.

I start with a couple of levels, and I try to add a little story.

1. vario023.lev: When I first saw this level, it looked very nice. I have always liked these tiled, squared levels. But this had something special. I made so much refinement on this level, to be "perfect" looking.

2. KingC13.lev: Cup lev. :) But it has something uniqueness in it. A can't tell what is that, but it doesn't matter. ville_J's levels are 99% good, but with this he has just created treasure.

3. stairway.lev: This lev was originally created by CSabi around 2000/2001, and was also featured in Hungarian Cup 1 (modified by MUe). It has a special rhythm. A good höyl lev, I love so much.

4. mk217.lev: Very funny, yet a challenging lev. Those arts in 2001 were so impressive, that even today it brings back emotions from the past.

5. sc200307.lev: A level from Summer Cup 2003. This cup was organized by David and sadly, only for Hungarians. However, I think these were the best levels, ever played in a Hungarian cup. Awesome art here too, and it is so hard to get a proper run on this level.

6. ml0126.lev: This lev was featued in Hungarian Leage during the early 2000's. I love it, because back then, I höyled this to the max. Also won the current round. The uniqueness lies here in the simplicity. Love this lev...

7. julk20.lev: This is an unfairly forgotten level. Shame that this not have a finish. Even with SL!! It has though a super atmosphere. It's like Rubik's Cube. When you first look at it, it seems that there is 10000 possibilites.

8. wic10.lev: A great level from ZenitH. Was played in 2003, in the Hungarian Winter Cup. Zenith's levels are always great. But once more, it carries uniqueness, and brings back so much memories...

Last edited by Schumi on 7 Feb 2017, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
Elasto Mania - 34:22.20 | #416 - 12. April 2021
Ancient Internals
Sunshine
Kuski

Re: Levels that you emotionally bond to...

Post by Sunshine »

i dont really have levels like this except i wish that i hadnt lost my first levelpack that i made way before even learning about the scene in some 2003-2004. they were quite nab levels with lots of speedloops and even vsync cannons and thats pretty much all i remember of them but it would be nice to see them again. i think i shared them once when first joined the scene but no one downloaded it i think lol and they are with 99.999% chance lost forever, rip
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Mistr303 because it's like the only cup lev that I hoyled rather seriously in the last 10 years even though my time sucks by anyone's standards. It was really cool thinking about the route, training various parts, waiting anxiously for the win rec, etc. I'm still a bit bitter that it wasn't even nominated for GAA, ez best lev of that year imo.

Also all really big FFs that I finished, e.g. Tabi004. I can still name the YouTube videos I was listening to while playing it, I remember the experience really well. Playing without deaths for 30+ minutes has that kind of effect on me.
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

Int01 :lol:

Reminds for my first elma era, Warm Up is the only level I hoyled seriously. Played in christmas lights for many hours every night during the winter holiday in 2002 (omg so long ago).
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

For me, it is Eve.lev

Something about it seems very sad, yet heartwarming. Who was Eve?

1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Post by ville_j »

Interesting that you get such vibes without knowing the story. She was Olliz' friend who was found dead from a ditch. Some year later the investigations found out that it was another guy from their school who was responsible for this.
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
Schumi
39mins club

Post by Schumi »

Another lev: http://kopasite.net/up/0/Fast.lev

It is the best speedloop lev I have ever played. Made by royal, and back then I höyled the shit out of this lev. Since that I was not able to get anywhere near to that time. 1:36.15

Feel free to beat it :)

Elasto Mania - 34:22.20 | #416 - 12. April 2021
Ancient Internals
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

A.K.B. wrote:For me, it is Eve.lev

ville_j wrote:Interesting that you get such vibes without knowing the story. She was Olliz' friend who was found dead from a ditch. Some year later the investigations found out that it was another guy from their school who was responsible for this.
Obviously Eve.lev

I think we might say it's quite an extraordinary phenomenon, the level doesn't seem complex or technically special, yet it is recognised as mysterious, touching, even for those who don't know the story. Personally it was one of the first level i started playing when i joined in 2004, and i hadn't known the story behind it, hadn't even known that "Eve" refers to a person at the time!, until Olliz briefly rejoined for a couple of months, years later. For a sidenote i was extremely shocked when I saw the bias towards him from the scene, he is probably the most 'magic' levelmaker, who could produce natural oldschool levels with such an ease, maybe only Juble had that as well to a certain degree.

Who also had similar feeling about the level? Maybe someone can share their experience? Maybe someone can even contact Olliz and we could all see the photo of that girl...
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Eve story was pretty well known at the time. I think I remember even talking with AKB about olliz levels in belma days so mb he knew but didn't remember.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

ville_j wrote:Interesting that you get such vibes without knowing the story. She was Olliz' friend who was found dead from a ditch. Some year later the investigations found out that it was another guy from their school who was responsible for this.
Very sad, but wow! There is something really pensive about it, perhaps the setting of the name, making it seem as if there is some special significance.
Haruhi wrote:Eve story was pretty well known at the time. I think I remember even talking with AKB about olliz levels in belma days so mb he knew but didn't remember.
I don't remember ever finding out about the actual story, but wondered for a long time.
Olliz
Kuski

Post by Olliz »

A.K.B. wrote:For me, it is Eve.lev

I might aswell hijack this thread.

If you picked up those feelings without knowing the story behind it, I guess I've done a good job on the level.

When I made it, emotionally I was a total mess. She was more than a friend to me. I tried to cope by doing normal stuff I did that time. Playing elma. Making levels. This was a therapy level for me. I poured my heart out on this one. There's really nothing special about the level design. I remember I just tried to make that name look as nice as I could. That's all I could do.

We were 14 at that time. Just kids. She would have been 31 this year with her own family, I'm sure of it. Instead there's a memento on this old forgotten pc game about her. It's fucked up. We were just kids.
"Now sonn the mettings start . See you i am happy Laestadian if i die to night i come to the heaven.see you" (c)marcus (random swe elma player)
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Very sad stuff. :(