Code: Select all
134402 < ZeeZee> Guys whats your thought on adding elastomania on Steam, I was thinking of buying it from Balasz, I even got a offer from him 134434 < ZeeZee> to buy copyrights of elastomania (pc/mobile)
- http://kuhilasvaara.eu.org/the-business ... canvas.pdf
We had a really long discussion in #across where many relevant people were actively involved (Smibu, milagros, Kopaka and many old-schoolers). ZeeZee appeared to be a nice guy who is willing to hear our opinions and co-operate. He didn't have a clue how active community we had.
So, after hours of talking and as I understood it, ZeeZee's idea is to buy the source code and copyrights of the official Elasto Mania (v1.11a), hire a programmer to make some improvements to the code and release a new version in Steam to gather lots of new players and revenue.
My personal opionion is positive: it would be great to get more players. Is the biggest risk that we end up with different versions which is confusing? We the community can always keep on playing the version we like best? ZeeZee promised to not sue us from developing the copyright violeted version. He can of course change his mind but pirates will win, yarr!
The most important points which were discussed in #across today:
1) Because EOL and Elma2 have lots of new features compared to v1.11a, it would be waste of time to start developing the new version from the original code base. Smibu also mentioned that the code base is very old and bad.
2) We showed some Elma videos to ZeeZee to get him to understand the vast versity of Elma and the community. For example he advertised that he could bring automated records lists to the table. This statement underlines the fact that he doesn't know much about the game because the automated lists have been available since 2002 or something. No manual work is needed nowaways except with some rare cases (bugbounce judgement etc). It would be great if someone could collect a tiny collection of Elma stuff to show him where we are (WCup7, Meetings, Zebra's combined levelpack, Videos, documentary etc). ZeeZee should test the EOL himself too.
3) Cheating has been a huge problem in the past. This must be considered from day 1.
4) The records history is important. At least for the most official levels: internals is a must but probably world cups too and other big events. Maybe some of the lists can be frozen if this is a problem? To beat a WR requires so much time and talent that the lifelong tribute must be taken very seriously.
5) ZeeZee asked us to make a wish list of the features we wanted to have implemented in Elma v1.11a. I'm not sure if this is reasonable yet but maybe there are some lists available already? And what EOL/Elma2 contains more than 1.11a? It's not an easy job to cover all the details right now but instead we would need a dedicated group of active community members (Smibu, Kopaka, Markku etc.) being heavily involved in the project to make the right choises during the development process.
Some up-to-date lists are: