The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

Zweq
34mins club

Re: Article: Action SuperCross and Elasto Mania

Post by Zweq »

oh yeah EOL was first released as beta test in 2010 summer, actual release was much later and went differently than initially plan (for example there was supposed to be db wipe before release, but that never happened)

oh yeah#2 that first design of elmaonline.net I belief was voted by community and nin's design won viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5948

you'r(Abula) right about teh eol not being as big thing as belma. The way I see it is like
across -> elma is comparable to elma -> belma, and
elma 1.0 -> elma 1.2 is comparable to belma -> EOL
Abula
Moposite admin
Team: FM

Post by Abula »

Ok, cool, thanks! Would be interesting to see those screenshots but they are 404 now. Found three different designs of elmaonline.net from archive.org though.
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Post by roope »

I think the groundwork for the new generation was laid between 2008 and 2012 when there was an influx of new players that quickly became core players of the community, some even today. Naturally this view is kinda biased since it's my generation and my friends and the times I'm most nostalgic for.
Years taken from old GAA topics where the names were first mentioned for rookie of the year. There could also be players that I forgot/didn't find from the topic, sorry about that.

2007-2008?
Zero

Pab, roope, barryp

Hosp, Mielz, kabii, Kiiwi

jblaze, jonsykkel, Lousku

Spef

bamilan, iltsu, pingywings

Also players from pre-2008 era like 8-ball and Mawane and nom and adi and YEAHS (zaraptor) and Lukazz and a bunch of others were pretty significant for the general good atmosphere of those times (2010-2013 I'd say).

Those years laid the foundation for friendships which resulted in smaller meets which resulted in FEMs coming back.

2011 was meeting at Lousku's place (Lousku, roope, jonsykkel, Kiiwi, Jamppa, Chip), 2012 was a small meeting at my cabin (Lousku, roope, jonsykkel, Spef), 2013 was open-ish(?) FEM at small cabin (Hosp, Lousku, jonsykkel, Spef, Kiiwi, Rast, Jamppa, roope, nick-o-matic). I'd say part 2 of the new generation era starts in 2014 when the big FEMs started again, which brought the old and new generations together. Players that started in 2013/2014 or later are new new generation for me.
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

I'd agree that saying 2007-2008 community was defined largely by the impact of MiE kuskis, but also Igge, Mawa and Pawq for sure. FM is also from that time but wasn't so involved until later on. Bjenn also became involved around early 2008 iirc. Certainly the biggest fresh faces in 2005-2006 were AKB, Raven, niN, Leek, Sla and berh. In terms of players, Kowal and ProDigy were very promising back in 2006 and Zweq went on huge WR spree. Kazan also started in 06 but I don't remember him being huge community person.

Actually, I would say that like before 2007, community wasn't defined by the top players or any heavily active people other than maybe petsen and teajay now and then, but rather by the large number of semi-active, semi-decent players. In like 2004/2005 era for example, there are MANY new names that were (and some still are) relevant then and could be seen in any topic, but don't stand out as hugely defining:

Tm, Johann (Schumacher), Jarkko, jonsta, myself, totem, goofu, error, Palme, coc0k, dafred, Smibu, inf, Labs, jt, sierra, kinghias, wjelo, staar, wezz, dani, honza/ded, kestas, otork, lukazz, xiph, the HHIT guys (Dynamo, BoneLESS, Memphis), Orcc, H8, Milty, umiz, wwwdotcom, sleap, ollie, elrondmcbond, karesz

ofc community was very different thing then, because #battle and belma had entirely different levels of convenience. There will be some names I'm forgetting from that time that were important to #across and #battle.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Yeah pawq and igge are definitely names I forgot from the 2008+ era. What happened and what players came and were active (both in playing and in other community things) in the years between my joinage in early 2008 and the oldschool times of ~2000-2003 are pretty ??? for me, so every bit of info is quite interesting. It does sound pretty similar to the era I was talking about, lots of cool people playing and doing stuff but no one that really stands out too much historically speaking. Remembering big individual concrete contributions is a bit easier (in the new generation era nom arranging FEMs, jonsykkel making elmastats site, ville_j making recsource, Zero's contests and Skype activity etc.), but those are just the tip of the iceberg.
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

Yea my spam definitely reshaped the community
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Abula wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 20:49 Ok, cool, thanks! Would be interesting to see those screenshots but they are 404 now. Found three different designs of elmaonline.net from archive.org though.
Kopaka had them, tak.

Thanks for more information about the "new generation". I'm pretty sure the next chapter will be anyway Belma-EOL (2007-2010) and we will see what will be the name of the chapter after that. Maybe "new generation" doesn't work if it started already in 2008 etc. "New generation in charge" has a bit different meaning and then it could be more logical to say that after the new generation had matured enough, they started to make bigger things. As mentioned, it's difficult to see what's the most-most relevant things in the near past.
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

I started playing elma around 2006 to 2007. I played it offline with my friends and uploaded videos quite regularly. Team TV was also formed but we never got around to host contests whatsoever.
There was me, Wacco and Suharice. We uploaded times to Kopasite very actively during my offline years. See my youtube videos.

I joined belma scene in December 24th 2009. Mawane and Jappe2 help me setup belma through youtube private message conversations. I didn't understand any english so I had had problems with all of that.

After joining the online scene with Wacco and Suharice we started playing a lot and became friends with many of the active players.
I quickly joined BAP with lousku, jon, kiiwi, chip and wacco. We were the memers of the scene for quite a while. We hosted WinCup with the assistance of PigMan fom team KFC. (anybody mentioned team KFC yet?

Later BAP grew in amount of members but became much more inactive. Early 2010 to late 2010. I left the the team around that time

I then joined team NSB with Alma and Kabii. We played several external packs together. A video was also made and can be watched in my yt channel. Late 2010 ? to mid 2012

Next was team TAP with zebra, jonsta and numerous other designers. We hosted Master Cup 3 and it was my debut as a designer for major contests. Around mid 2012 to mid 2013.

I had been co-operating with finman for a while in both external playing and level designing. We hosted pocc cup which was fairly popular.
We decided to play wcup6 together. Team dat started from that and at first it wasn't supposed to be a serious team. After successful cup results and bene joining the team dat became a serious and active team. I could still like to co-op with TAP members but I don't consider myself a member anymore.

Pab joined team dat during all the Skype sessions we had going on around 2014 to 2016.

Spef joined in late 2017. Team dat channel in discord is as active as ever :)

Not sure if numbers are accurate but I tried my best
Rank #1 battler and the champion of BOSS cup :gaa:
36 club since 02/2024
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

I don't remember old Belma URL anymore, I have vague memory of it being something like "b.attle.net" (but not actually?) or something else with battle in the URL (or was it belma?). I don't have old enough logs to search for it anywhere, maybe someone else has. Another reason why server stopped was also partly because of host at the time, where I had two VPS accounts and wanted to remove the other one but they deleted belma one by mistake and then also remove other one or something and was impsy to talk to them and fix. Also very vague memory of it all now. Too bad there's not real complete #across logs and it's all sporadic and splintered among different people in different formats with missing periods. Would be coal project some time to gather everything and convert to one single proper format and try to fill in gaps in periods, but probably impsy and too much effort.
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Zero: url to your Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/ZER0TV ? Looks good, thanks!

skint0r: ok, damez. Kopaka suggested "b.attle.org" but I can't find anything. Screenshot would be awesome. I went through the Belma thread but couldn't find any material :/. I hope I get Belma working at least somehow to get an ingame screenshot. At least there is the promo video in Youtube.

Also if there is any other material of Belma, I'm max interested in. zworqy's page gives 404 and not in archive.org :/.

Luckily Zebra's page is online. Eventhough some files are missing.

You can also email me the material if that's easier: lassi(ät)pulu.org
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

After doing some research yesterday and today, I'm planning to revise the chapters.

At first I need to extend the Golden Era to 2007-02-22 when zworqy published the patch in Mopolauta or is there some better date? WR table #255 (2007-01-06) is the one where Zweq had the first crazy style WR, Animal Farm. Fixing Golden Era takes about 20h but it's ok.

The next chapter, untitled yet, wasn't big only because of Belma but also because of Zweq. He did marvelous things after starting to play more again: 45-50% battle wins, many new crazy WRs, numerous GAAs (2007: 5, 2008: 4, 2009: 3, 2010: 1, 2011: 1, 2012: 5 again). Zweq was #1 already in table #130 (2003-06-08) having most WRs but TorInge stroke back big time in 2004-2005. But since 2007 Zweq has been teh.

So it's very well reasoned the next chapter is going to be about Belma, milagros and Zweq. I don't know the title yet but the time period is probably from February 2007 to somewhere in 2010-2011. From Belma release to EOL. It's the most obvious separation but I hadn't understood/remembered that Zweq went nuts when Belma came.

Code: Select all

III. Golden Era       (2001 Jul  - 2007 Feb?)
 IV. Untitled         (2007 Feb? - 2010 Jul?)
  V. ? Elma Online    (2010 Jul? - 2014?    )
 VI. ? New generation (2014?     -          )
So the questions are:

1. When Belma got published "officially"? 2007-02-22 is my guess atm. This is important to decide ASAP because it affects the WR table statistics of the Golden Era which I need to fix.
2. Should I close the next period ("belma-milagros-zweq") when EOL was published (2011-08-12) or for example when was the first EOL open beta (2010-07-24) or maybe the Elma anniversary IM-INTERNALS video (2010-09-16) or Elma Ultimate DVD (2011-02-13). This can be decided after I've done more research. There are many milestones which can be used as the end of the era which is good in story-wise. I can pick up the most suitable date to somehow match with some other relevant events which I don't know yet.
3. Elma Online and New generation chapters can be thought later but arguments are welcomed now too.
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

oke found quickly there from that topic, it was b.attle.info and there is some arhive there with some news and chat and comments and whatnot, but no image or styling workink there so hard see how it actually looked like. I don't even remember self, but assume I just copycatted skintatious or previous looks because I was always unoriginal with those
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

actualy my comeback and belma release were a bit unrelated. I already made comeback in 2006 with tunnel terror and jaws wrs, but was still quite busy with wow (world of warcraft) so I wasn't that active. In early 2007 i quitted wow for a few months. Boom, 1month later came belma and playing elma became very interesting again. Played lots of battles and learned how to play the game and did few wrs in the summer 2007.

so comeback wasnt thanks to belma... but staying in elma for a longer period probably was
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Zweq wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 14:01 actualy my comeback and belma release were a bit unrelated.
Oke, well I can always use some artistic freedom. Belma clearly made you to play more anyway so they are well related, maybe not 100 % then. Watched your Jaws (#238, #239, #240) and Tunnel Terror WR (#237, #238) replays now and I don't think they are in the same ballpark with Animal, Hi Flyer, Ramp Frenzy, Steppes, Hill Legend, Bounce Back, Steep Corner, Apple Harvest. Dame so many.
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Btw, what's the oldest WR which style is a mystery? I need this information to decide what WR replays can be published. WR table has the 5 year rule, yes, but I don't want to expose unpublished styles.

By looking at the current WR ages, the oldest (Uphill Battle) was driven in #301 (2009-10-09) but I think it's public style. Zweq probably knows?
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

I wonder what's the latest version of Belma and where to download it? 1.006 in Ultimate DVD but zworqy is talking about 1.008 (viewtopic.php?p=142128#p142128).
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

It's quite an enormous task to find the oldest unpublished rec with unpublished styles, maybe some recs like that were published already. Maybe they are obsolete nowdays, maybe they are not. Maybe some recs have better styles but are badly driven and beat prev wr by few hundreths only. Sometimes styles for saveloading might be well known but there can be clever EOL-moves that are a bit slower but much more consistent. Somebody could want to keep those secret. So yeah, to be honest it's quite impsy to say.
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Those new chapter outlines look pretty ideal to me. I think there could also be some consideration of Smibu's SL release and how it reshaped the community in the following months-year, which ended up with a public SL client and acceptance of SL as a tool for legitimate use in the community.

Uphill Battle isn't hidden style. Here in 2012 done quick, for example.
Image Cyberscore! Image
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

That's a good point Haruhi. Smibu ranting about him being annoyed by only a few people having saveload and him making it public was pretty controversial at the time, but SL has become pretty universally accepted and used tool especially for stylefinding. Topic: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7350

Also here's belma results from period 23.1.2007 - 8.1.2009 if you don't have it already. Probably not super relevant but still a fun text file to have a look at. Like skint said, it's a shame that all this information and logs and stats are sprinkled around, a bit of this here and a bit of that there. Would be better if the results were from the whole period of belma's existence but eh, at least it's something.
https://files.fm/down.php?cf&i=zz7jyj69 ... esults.txt
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Saveload fits pretty well to the idea of decadence of the game with belma's problems. New patch was very much needed in 2011. Afaik EOL solved the SL problem in August 2011?

Zebra's page has all those stats except monthly stats here http://zebra.mbnet.fi/battles_battle.html

All these files should be collected to one single place. I'm planning to update Ultimate one day but it's not optimal if it's only behind me. I guess I can offer the website for it anyway to keep it easier to find. At least collecting levels, contests and cups is impsy work. If Zebra updates his mega levelpack one day, it could be better to divide the first directory level to different time periods.

1997-2000 Across
2000-2005 Elma first years
    Moposite
    Cups
    Misc levelpacks
    etc.
2006-2010 Belma time
2010-2015 EOL first years
In ideal world the levels were in some website with records etc. and this would be only a downloadable snapshot. Tags needed etc.
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Haruhi wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 07:17 Uphill Battle isn't hidden style. Here in 2012 done quick, for example.
How about:

2.	Zweq [WNO]	 Finnish	65 table(s)	Twin Peaks
3.	Zweq [WNO]	 Finnish	65 table(s)	Over and Under
4.	Kazan [none]	 Russian	62 table(s)	Haircut
5.	Kazan [none]	 Russian	53 table(s)	Apple Harvest
6.	Zweq [WNO]	 Finnish	50 table(s)	Turnaround
If those are public styles, I guess the WR replays could be uploaded up to #350 in near future.

http://moposite.com/records_wr_statisti ... nt+WR+ages
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

Those in the list are all publik

kazan hc http://www.recsource.tv/r/gfniqluaro
kazan apple http://www.recsource.tv/r/joqpsmxech
my recs are in viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1503&start=3900#p225173

I'm more thinking stuf like random example: 24.24 jaytea precarious, in theory it could have a 0.1 faster move prev unknown with shitty playing because jaytea. Everyone assumes everything is known because it's worse time than SL record 23.xx or current legit WR
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Zweq wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 09:49 I'm more thinking stuf like random example: 24.24 jaytea precarious, in theory it could have a 0.1 faster move prev unknown with shitty playing because jaytea. Everyone assumes everything is known because it's worse time than SL record 23.xx or current legit WR
Yea, I understood this but theoretically all unpublished replays can have such things so we can't publish anything if we let this to limit. Realistically thinking, let's say older WR recs than #350, can have a few surprises but not many. And maybe it's even better for the game to have them published than leave to unknowness forever. Of course if someone knows there is something special and especially if the author doesn't want to get it published, then of course no.
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Abula wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 09:25 Saveload fits pretty well to the idea of decadence of the game with belma's problems. New patch was very much needed in 2011. Afaik EOL solved the SL problem in August 2011?
Yeah the release of SL is what quickly made online playing enforced in all competitions. Before that many where still doing their non battle hoyling offline. For example on Kopasite there were discussion about what to do with SL in June (http://kopasite.net/news/69) and it was enforced from August (http://kopasite.net/news/71)
Zweq wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 09:49 I'm more thinking stuf like random example: 24.24 jaytea precarious, in theory it could have a 0.1 faster move prev unknown with shitty playing because jaytea. Everyone assumes everything is known because it's worse time than SL record 23.xx or current legit WR
I know that was just one example, but that one was shared somewhat silently and even in EDQ2012.
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

reading old BELMA topic - i don't remember half of the stuff mentioned there

important points for the article:
1) Elma early days clearly finished when I got my first WR:)
2) Golden Age was characterized by me actually playing for total or WRs
3) Belma/EOL was developed because i realized, I suck at playing.
4) New generation is characterized by me not playing anymore:)

And back to the topic - I still don't understand how I actually got it to work. Both original EOL (2-multiplayer with synchronized TCP connection) and Belma worked on the first try. For that eol I wrote quite a lot of code in assembler with lots of library imports (mainly TCP stuff) and nothing was tested in any way. Unlike with c++ you don't even need to compile. I asked Peacemaker (slovak player who played for a short time in 2006-7 or so) if he wants to test some online elma stuff and magically it fucking worked. I couldn't believe it:) Well, the gameplay sucked with my internet connection, but it was online elma!

Same thing kinda happened with the first test with zworqy with belma (some stuff has been tested with KD before, but the first UDP was tested here) - I don't remember if anyone else was present there (KD?). This time with a small problem that I couldn't see anyone (no NAT / port forward), but zworqy insisted he has seen me and it worked:) I few hours later 30 kuskis were hanging in freefall enjoying their hanging time together:)

From the development the only WTF moment I remember was when I tried to import fonts ingame. I didn't understand a shit what was going on there and almost game up. I understood the code where the menu texts were written - the function parameters consisted of text, coordinates and some pointers t something (I assumed it is some font structure and some pointers to something like window/device context/whatever). I had no idea how to get these pointers ingame. I tried to steps through the code here and there but nothing made sense. Then I had a great idea to try to give it some random pointers that were used in drawing a kuski. I assumed there must be some window or something (or whatever that structure actually was). So I started with random pointers I've seen in the code:) with a LEV name, that should have been displayed in the middle of the screen. Second or third try and WTF, the text appeared there! I had no fucking clue what I was doing and it worked:) The text was upside down with fucked up colors, but whatever - the moment comparable to the feeling when you do a lucky WR:)
[carebox]
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

Kopaka wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 12:46
Abula wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 09:25 Saveload fits pretty well to the idea of decadence of the game with belma's problems. New patch was very much needed in 2011. Afaik EOL solved the SL problem in August 2011?
Yeah the release of SL is what quickly made online playing enforced in all competitions. Before that many where still doing their non battle hoyling offline. For example on Kopasite there were discussion about what to do with SL in June (http://kopasite.net/news/69) and it was enforced from August (http://kopasite.net/news/71)
Not that it's highly relevant to elma scene, but just as extra backing on this point, I added enforced EOL to Elasto Mania on Cyberscore on the same day it was implemented for Kopasite. It seems like a minor point in hindsight, but typically this sort of thing is a major deal for game communities, it was unusually quickly implemented in elma.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Who is this? http://elmaonline.net/players/Lumen

4th in Belma total results.
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

2. Barry 1830 14.31 18.89 0:45,25 6 (21647)

Nationality? No such user in EOL or Kuski gallery.

Top designers of Belma
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

7. ali ? 46014 14.43
10. VT ? 35123 14.24

Nationalities?

Top-10 best average points in Belma
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

ali is czech, no idea about the others
[carebox]
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

7. iob ? 988 4.34

Nationality?

Top designer in #battle times.
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Would be interesting to see some early screenshots of the Belma tests if someone has saved. All links död in the Belma topic. I think I've got some nice material already but maybe there are better.

milagros hacking skials are just max. I don't understand a shit eventhough I've got master in computer science. I've programmed even a worm game in assembly which actually make me feel even more wtf about all these patches. I ignore all this "first try worked" exaggeration because that happens like 1/1000 (so twice is one millionth) but still impsy pro stuff. Where did you learn all this? For the article it would interesting to get some material from the programming work but I'm pretty sure milagros hasn't documented very well :D.

Btw mila, do you understand the versioning already? It's impsy pain to try to explain and keep it clear when having all these mongo eol versions.
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

Abula wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 19:36 I ignore all this "first try worked" exaggeration because that happens like 1/1000 (so twice is one millionth) but still impsy pro stuff.
It really worked the first try (which was a surprise for me too). I couldn't test it alone myself, because I didn't have two comps and elma doesn't like two window and alt-tab
Abula wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 19:36 Where did you learn all this? For the article it would interesting to get some material from the programming work but I'm pretty sure milagros hasn't documented very well :D.
I didn't learn it anywhere, I haven't done ant patching before elma. I haven't documented anything, and I've forgotten all the details.
Abula wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 19:36 Btw mila, do you understand the versioning already? It's impsy pain to try to explain and keep it clear when having all these mongo eol versions.
There were 3 online patches. First one (Elma Online) in 2006 was for 2-player splitscreen multiplayer over network. Worked well in LAN. Then there was Belma (2007) gradualy developed with more and more features and eventually EOL (2010?) with the site, database with levs etc. There were hundreds of versions of Belma and EOL, the official number (1.000 -> 1.008 or whatever was the last) changed every time the versions didn't work with each other anymore (for example some messages changed length due to more data sent). I didn't change the version every time, because people were annoyed they needed to download again and change all the settings.
[carebox]
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

10. ALIat0r ? 1076 4.76

Nationality?

Top-10 average points in #battles
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

milagros wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 19:46I didn't change the version every time, because people were annoyed they needed to download again and change all the settings.
Ok but this sounds strange. You can't change version number without needing to reset settings?

Semver is nice: [major].[minor].[patch]. Or just date.
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Lumen was a Russian kuski. Decently good and very active. Probably could find more about him from someone who was active in the Russian elma community.

Barry I assume could be barryp? A British kuski who made a lot of pipes especially.

Ali is Czech as mila said. Was decently active in early years of EOL too, very good in special battles. ALIat0r I assume could be Ali's another nick?

VT is arguably the best German kuski ever.
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

Abula wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 19:50 You can't change version number without needing to reset settings?
the server and client compared their versions and if it was not the same, it kicked you out with a message you have old version
so i changed it only if it was necessary
it could have been done such that the versions are compared, but not subversions, but that would add to the complications
the goal was to minimize the effort, not to have a decent statistics for an article in 12 years
[carebox]
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Yup. I've noticed that many real programmers don't care about the meta stuff because it's irrelevant and boring. But when it takes so little time...
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Thanks Roope! Only missing is iob now.

And annual best average points and best battle won-% in #battle time. Those files points to kulde.net in Zebra's page which gives 404.
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

Aliator was ali yes.

Lumen was awesome kuski. mega stylefinder, kinda like old version of zero. He was cool man too.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

I need help with "awesome replays" (non-WRs) driven between January 2007 and August 2011.

GAAs checked. I think Replay category of GAA shouldn't include WR style replays. They are usually fuck-up replays of cool new WR styles which will be driven in the future and then the old replay is worth of nothing. Often the WR category goes for the same. Or any winning replays? I think some special replays are more interesting after years.

It's not possible to browse Recsource by dates? I think some simple lists would have lots of value in Recsource. Like best rated videos per year. Or all replays per internal level. But Recsource doesn't help much here because it was launched in 2010.

Uphill driving started in Belma period? Any good replay?

At the moment I don't have any replays at all. Five years blank...

UPDATE: I've got GAA candidates (except years 2011 and 2013) so will check them but looks like they are "just" pro times. Also found 55x2679.
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

Jappe2 youtube profile. Many cup vids from that period
Rank #1 battler and the champion of BOSS cup :gaa:
36 club since 02/2024
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Went through GAA07-10 recs. GAA11 data (+ candidates) missing goddammit! Please anyone har?
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Zero wrote: 2 Mar 2018, 03:07 Jappe2 youtube profile. Many cup vids from that period
Thanks! Watched some of your old movies too. I understand now much better this video side. Elma art pretty much incarnated there in Belma Period. Internals, externals, cups, S/L, humour, even LGR promo (Grassland looks nice btw). Fascinating!
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Zweq wrote: 12 Nov 2017, 14:53 I would really emphasize hard ff battles like teajay uphills in becoming a better player. Being better obviously helped finding harder styles in internals)
- uphilling
Ok, I just need some material of uphilling because I haven't found any. Went through: GAA (year 2011 missing), ZEROTV, Jappe2 channel, my own Elma directories.
zebra
Kuski
Team: TAP

Post by zebra »

Abula, nice to hear that my old battle statistics are useful. If some important files are missing, please tell me and I try to search for them.

About the giant Elastomania Level Archive, I'm not going to update it anymore. At the time when I made it, I was bit more "involved in scene" and knew most of the level packs and stuff. But I don't know them anymore, so it's no use for me to update it.
A winner of 4 GAA's (mc2 included), winner of mkup206, and a proud member of team TAP.
Play uni levels: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/uni.html
Homepage: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/elma.html
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

ok found quite many fish uphills. I guess you can just ignore the most of them.

basically fish12 and fish13 were the eye openers for me. Back then I was completely blown away by the awesomeness of those levels. Elma life wasn't anymore just internals + battles. Back in the #battle days skint would just ban instantly anyone posting lev similar to fish12 and fish13. In belma ppl didn't care. This is where years long uphill hype started for me, which eventually died off when nekit started spamming plz start up))) 15hours a day 8 days a week 400 days a year

fish78 is a reference of spinning, I wasn't aware of brake usage back then

there is a .txt file that contains dates, dunno why i added that, when you could just check the modified dates. Oh well whatever, I guess I enjoy wasting 10 mins of life

warning: your eyes and brain might catch cancer or aids because of the horribly bad early belma days playing. Continue at your own risk.

http://kopasite.net/up/un4ga045q26gd98/ ... phills.zip

edit: oh btw while digging belma folder for these levs and recs i noticed and felt quite strongly how scrappy old belma is compared to nowadays eol :) i tried to play that spin lev (fish78) in this belma folder but noticed
- there is no fps limiter
- there is no vsync off option in eolconf
I also noticed:
- menu text were left aligned not centered
- opening lev or rec list ingame takes a lot of time. I think original elma used some naive sort algorithm, which mila changed to quicksort later. Also some trivia about this: smibu actually disabled this sorting in some hack patch because he wasn't sure what some slow code was for, but then someone had levs unsorted cuz had fat32 filesystem, listings were sorted in ntfs filesystem so smibu didn't notice it (or something like that anyway, sorry if i was completely wrong) (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4653&start=800#p183510)
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Abula wrote: 2 Mar 2018, 17:03 Went through GAA07-10 recs. GAA11 data (+ candidates) missing goddammit! Please anyone har?
http://kopasite.net/up/lf7976c1dx7tz4q/gaa11_levs.zip
http://kopasite.net/up/j4q09919tnhs0mt/gaa11_recs.zip
http://kopasite.net/up/l8brycb6qv47a3m/gaa11_styles.zip
http://kopasite.net/up/5484lxmnlw4xd13/ ... c_logs.zip

Not sure what you mean by data? There's the topic at least: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8448
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

zebra wrote: 2 Mar 2018, 19:55 Abula, nice to hear that my old battle statistics are useful. If some important files are missing, please tell me and I try to search for them.
http://zebra.mbnet.fi/battles_battle.html monthly and annual stats missing! kulde.net doesn't work anymore
zebra wrote:About the giant Elastomania Level Archive, I'm not going to update it anymore. At the time when I made it, I was bit more "involved in scene" and knew most of the level packs and stuff. But I don't know them anymore, so it's no use for me to update it.
Ok, I understand. Maybe someone else will do it one day. I've noticed that there aren't too many who are ready for big efforts like this.