Killers

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

kuchitsu
Kuski

Killers

Post by kuchitsu »

Let's talk about killers. They must be one of the most neglected Elma features. It has gotten to the point that I get excited whenever I see them used in a level non-decoratively. That is, until I realize that there is some elaborate style which requires going through one via a series of very luck\skill-based moves, in which case I might lose some enthusiasm, hehe.

What are your preferences when it comes to killers? Is it a good thing that we don't encounter them much anymore? Do they deserve more attention? Are there any particular setups that you enjoy or despise? Do they belong to packs and cups rather than battles?

Personally, I never cared about stuff like Precarious: I'm simply way too clumsy to perform such precise tricks. For me killers work much better when they are placed close to each other so that you can only jump over or under them, not through them (e.g. Enigma, though admittedly that is a rather hardcore example). In general, I like non-oppressive use of killers that makes you feel like they are directing you rather than outright trying to kill you. I tried to achieve that in KUBA0890, which people seemed to be happy with.
danitah
Kuski

Re: Killers

Post by danitah »

I would have used the killer mechanic more if could shape it any way I want, like if could make a poly and turn it into a killer-poly. But yeah I still agree it could be nice to see them used more often.
AndrY
38mins club
Team: .lev

Post by AndrY »

imo killers are often used in ff, apple, and such balles, where need no hoyl, but only to pass lev.

killers doesn't usable in hoyla levs because, imo:
1) in places where you mustn't fly near killer, here can be usual wall instead of it.
2) If you must fly very near killer, it is shit luck lev: best time usually ~ distance to killer in such levs.

And, imo not many ideas about how killers can be used. really, elma wouldn't lose a lot, if no killers in it.
My levs and other Elma things: sites.google.com/view/elma-andry + youtube
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Agree with AndrY. It's the same thing as a wall but more restrictive (can't even push from it) and has to be a circle for some reason.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
BlaZtek
Kuski
Team: CMR

Post by BlaZtek »

I think of killers used as fixes for bad level designs.
[13:22:24] (ImagebEAT) blaz super pro
[17:06:15] (ImageRamone) ok I suckj. blaz rules