RecSource is an essential part of the modern Elma scene.

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

Zero
Kuski

RecSource is an essential part of the modern Elma scene.

Post by Zero »

I think these days EOL could be called a semi-active community.

Meaning that many players are still sort of hanging around by browsing Mopolauta and as of the past couple years, RecSource. Not too many people are actually playing on a daily basis for countless hours like in the old days and it's very understandable. That's where the importance of RecSource comes in.

I dare say that it is even better than Mopolauta in terms of following the scene. By looking at the constant stream of battle, internal, external and fail replays it's very easy to keep up with the Elastomania scene whereas many of the active topics here at Mopolauta might relate to something else completely. By browsing both of the sites regularly you can be very involved without ever opening the actual game which is amazing for the busy people.

As of now I feel like EOL has become less active and a lot of that has to do with RecSource being down once again. I think it would be very important to get it up and running again and this topic is pointed towards all of us, not just Ville :lol:

He has done a great amount of work with the site and it seems like now would be the proper time for the rest of us to contribute. As far as I know he doesn't want to maintain the site anymore so is there anybody else that could do it? If we collected money maybe we could invest to a better database and and fix the current issue?

Maybe we can also pay to someone who is willing to work with the site? Anything to get it back up really. :(

---------------------------------
CASH BOUNTY LIST FOR GETTING RECSOURCE UP AND RUNNING BEFORE FEM

(for a long period of time)

Pawq 10e
Tm 10e
Zero 10e :bear:
b0ne a 30s hug at fem
jaytea 135e
Fejm 5e
umiz 20e
Bludek 4e
insguy 10e
Polarix 100e
Last edited by Zero on 17 Mar 2018, 02:12, edited 8 times in total.
Rank #1 battler and the champion of BOSS cup :gaa:
36 club since 02/2024
insane guy
Kuski

Re: RecSource is an essential part of the modern Elma scene.

Post by insane guy »

signed.
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

I wrote about this on discord but not many people responded, guess I should've brought it up on lauta.
pawq - Last Saturday at 14:16 wrote: Also guys, @umiz @umiz, @iltsu, @bene, @Hosp, @culinko, @Blaztek, and whoever else misses :recsauce: ...
I had an idea. What if we put up bounties? Like bene did for WRs, like people did for other reks - we could put bounties for a working :recsauce: replacement (whether integrated into the new eol site or standalone or copy of the old :recsauce: or whatever). The recipient (or recipients) could treat it as a reward, a bonus, a cover for the used time, or for server running costs - I don't really care!
if anyone @here likes the idea then please shout!
I know that for a number of reasons getting the old :recsauce: migrated is tedious or whatever, but maybe a promise of a reward would motivate someone enough to do it :)
tm said he can put 10 euro. Let's say I put 10e as well, and let's see how many people want to join!

Zero, can you put some "RecSource replacement bounty" list in the first post? :)

Could also add a "deadline" for the bounty so that it doesn't take until 2020...
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

Done :)
36 club since 02/2024
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

insane guy wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 11:41signed.
Lemme know if you want to contribute to cash bounty)
36 club since 02/2024
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

Join us people :) I will update the list if more people want to contribute
36 club since 02/2024
Fejm
39mins club

Post by Fejm »

I put 5€
umiz
Kuski

Post by umiz »

This is so true! I will gief money to hef it back! :D
[i cruise, i lev, i live]
umiz
Kuski

Post by umiz »

20e
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

4 EUR. Every bit counts, right?
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

It's worth noting that recplayer was created by Max. Ville_j built site around it. Isn't Kopaka planning to integrate that recplayer into new EOL website? And sure I can contribute some money.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

Afaik nobody wants to work on recsource, and nobody wants to work on elmaonline.net. Instead mans want to create new elmaonline website and recsource-like functionality would be built in.

I think the question is that is there someone willing to host the old recsource.

On the other hand a simple site where you can only upload recs, list recs and view recs is easy to make. I got quite far when spent only 3 days on christmas holidays but i stopped working on it instantly when recsource came back on (it was offline for a couple of days around christmas)
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Zero wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 10:20 jaytea 135e
Now we're talking!
umiz
Kuski

Post by umiz »

Zweq wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 12:14 Afaik nobody wants to work on recsource, and nobody wants to work on elmaonline.net. Instead mans want to create new elmaonline website and recsource-like functionality would be built in.

I think the question is that is there someone willing to host the old recsource.

On the other hand a simple site where you can only upload recs, list recs and view recs is easy to make. I got quite far when spent only 3 days on christmas holidays but i stopped working on it instantly when recsource came back on (it was offline for a couple of days around christmas)
So the money should go to someone who develops this elmaonline site mebe? :)
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

umiz wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 16:09
Zweq wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 12:14 Afaik nobody wants to work on recsource, and nobody wants to work on elmaonline.net. Instead mans want to create new elmaonline website and recsource-like functionality would be built in.

So the money should go to someone who develops this elmaonline site mebe? :)
Sure. But bounty only if before fem. Dunno if it's poss xd
36 club since 02/2024
Polarix
Kuski
Team: TR

Post by Polarix »

100 e
Abula
Moposite admin
Team: FM

Post by Abula »

What are the technical difficulties with Recsource? I can fund too if that's the problem but I guess it's more about the lack of interest? Money can't really buy that unless we hire a freelancer. Even then I guess at least 1000-5000e needed? Is the code open-sourced?

I really hope the database or files at least could be saved in any case. That's the priority 1. One day one man might be interested in to learn coding (max recommended btw) and either create a new site with old data or improve the current code. Tip: it's often more educational to improve old legacy code. For example the lists of the best replays per year shouldn't be a hard task to start from somewhere.

I have the Moposite server which can be used but I'm not ready to invest it many hours per year, at least not before I'm ready with these current Elma projects. But if there was a man who can invest lots of time, I could give him an account and help a bit but I won't do that before knowing him somehow and having a proof of earlier finished projects. I've helped too many guys to start something without seeing a finish.

I totally agree that Recsource is really important archive and it should be saved somehow. For me Elma is not a daily stream of entertainment but a fascinating phenomena which I would like to admire the next 50 years.
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Things started to progress.
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

Abula wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 14:20 Things started to progress.
Can elaborate?
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Got an idea to get things to be done but heard later that the problem of recsource isn't really that, but we will see.