Apple has taken over First Finish almost completely :O

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

Zero
Kuski

Apple has taken over First Finish almost completely :O

Post by Zero »

This board can be used for free chat about anything related to this. Quite interesting to notice as First Finish was easily the second most started battle type for the longest of time.

But I actually made this topic to ask all you to make more First Finish battles as well! I'll do the same myself at least to small extent :)

I haven't played many FF battles at all lately it would be really nice to play a few of those before the next FF Cup!

Maybe some FF day could be hosted even? I promise to make at least a few if that is the case :)
Rank #1 battler and the champion of BOSS cup :gaa:
36 club since 02/2024
AndrY
38mins club
Team: .lev

Re: Apple has taken over First Finish almost completely :O

Post by AndrY »

emm what? amount of apple battles is bigger than amount of ff-s this year? :?
fun news if true :D gz dani and chris

me was making many ff-s before, but now don't make them hmm. No ideas for them, usual random ff isn't interesting to make, unlike random apples :?
My levs and other Elma things: sites.google.com/view/elma-andry + youtube
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

AndrY wrote: 6 Jun 2018, 22:15 emm what? amount of apple battles is bigger than amount of ff-s this year? :?
fun news if true :D gz dani and chris

me was making many ff-s before, but now don't make them hmm. No ideas for them, usual random ff isn't interesting to make, unlike random apples :?
I don't have any stats backing me up to be honest but it's just been something that I have noticed. There are way more Apple battles compared to before. And it's honestly cool.
Rank #1 battler and the champion of BOSS cup :gaa:
36 club since 02/2024
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

Since 15 May 2018:
- 76 apple battles
- 32 FFs
- 6 one-lifes
- 5 last counts battles
- 3 flag tag battles
- 2 slowness battles
- 2 finish count battles
- 0 survivor battles
- 0 speed battles

so over 50% more apples than all other special battle types combined ;)
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

fucking depressing
Labs
37mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Labs »

Personally i dont like apple balles, but if ppl like em i dont have a problem with it (i just dont join while it is on). FF was always my favorite, but very few big ones i see. It must be cos long ones requires much work, but apple balles doesnt require it really.
Team SPEED

Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

for me apples are cool, but also bad because no recs or replayability apart from cruising afterballe
same with FTs but those tend to be possible to finish at least like 50% of the time
ToMaT
danitah
Kuski

Post by danitah »

Yeah FFs used to be my favorite type to make. Nowadays not really getting the reward for them that I used to. Players who complain about lack of FFs are usually not online when I start. Also players often just do one try and don't bother restarting if die. Not very motivating to spend a lot of time on a lev if players don't think it's worth playing more as soon as they can't win anymore. Still I have a feeling this is just temporary and I'll find motivation to make FFs more often again in the future.

Apples are almost always rewarding to start, if can get even just two or three apple lovers it's good spy.
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

It would be nice to know how many FFs and Apples were made in past few years. My guess is that there are simply more Apples now, though I might be wrong. I would like to see stats.

Also keep in mind that making high quality battles (especially FFs) require a lot of effort and everyone has limited time. I often just spend very little time making short battles becausenoone else is starting any battles. I do a lot of other things in the meantime.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

FFs probably funniest type of levels to make but too often i spend 30min making lev then is maybe 1 or 2 finishers and 4 players, is just orka
ToMaT
danitah
Kuski

Post by danitah »

Also I'll add:

I'll usually make FF if someone is requesting it in chat when I'm online. This goes for any type of lev really. But I really don't like when people are complaining about type. Instead of hearing 'fuk apple' it's much more inspiring to hear 'please make ff/norm/esn/pipe/loop/whatever'.
Chris
Kuski

Post by Chris »

Hosp wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 15:05 FFs probably funniest type of levels to make but too often i spend 30min making lev then is maybe 1 or 2 finishers and 4 players, is just orka
Yes. I just tested it today. I make battle in less than minute and it is played by some 10 people. I spent half an hour making ff and it was played by 4-5 people. :(
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
danitah
Kuski

Post by danitah »

I guess its just current playerbase doesnt like ff as much as older playerbase. FFC was huge success so there might be some hope. I'll just make FFs when I feel like it, and if popularity picks up again sometime then great.
Chris
Kuski

Post by Chris »

I guess best thing people can do is to preannounce FFs. Also we can have some recurring FF night or something, so people who like FFs can play and people who make them can find players to play them.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

I'd like apple battles if there was a reliable way to tell if a particular apple was already taken or not. With larger levels keeping track on apples is next to impossible.
ile
Kuski

Post by ile »

Tigro wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 16:32 I'd like apple battles if there was a reliable way to tell if a particular apple was already taken or not. With larger levels keeping track on apples is next to impossible.
doesn't seem to stop markku
adi
36mins club

Post by adi »

Apple battles are great. You can play them with whatever zoom and there is usually much room for failing. I can understand why many players dislike the memory aspect of apple battles. Actually I even started to like it at some point but dunno...probably they would be even much more awesome without needing to memorize taken apples. Especially in huge levels I might spend quite much extra time just to make sure that I won't miss any easy apples.

I still enjoy puzzle ff battles etc. but I've slowly lost interest for cruise first finish battles. Probably I'd like to see more "boring" tunnel levels that are fast to make. I can't really enjoy well designed ff levels with complex/confusing design, partly because of high zoom and nab map reading skills.
Team MiE
adi
36mins club

Post by adi »

Tigro wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 16:32 I'd like apple battles if there was a reliable way to tell if a particular apple was already taken or not. With larger levels keeping track on apples is next to impossible.
I can do that but I guess it requires high motivation and practise. It's easy to remember if specific area is completed and within short time frame it might be easy to take all apples from that area. This might work best in dani levels, on the other hand chris levels are more monotonic on average, so different kind of thinking is needed.

The amount of apples could be easily reduced in almost any level but apple placements is more important factor anyway. Also with many easy apples level will probably be more enjoyable for all players.
Team MiE
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Great advantage of Apple battles is also the fact that results are updated in almost real-time, while FF results are updated only at fails/finishes.
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

I just want to say I like apple battle and am not a great fan of first finish, that is al, ty.
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

Anyone up to making a simple program that fetches apple battle map and then you can click on the apples to remove them? Takes a couple seconds to alt-tab and keep updated during battle, but could be helpful in tricky and long apple bules
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

you can use any external level editor and just remove the apples from the level, make it a.lev or so for the battle. mb poss make such program from the base of a lev editor anyway