elmaonline.net in 2019

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

elmaonline.net in 2019

Post by Kopaka »

So I just wanted to post a little warning that it's currently a bit unclear what the status of elmaonline.net will be come 2019.

PHP 5.6 is reaching end of life january 1st and we'll most likely be force upgraded to PHP 7 at that date or soon after. I've known this for a while, but expected issues to be minimal. However I recently tested it out on PHP 7 and it's worse than anticipated. So this means right now I don't know if that site will ever run again. As we're working on a completely new version, motivation to update the old one is low of course, and it could be a significant amount of work.

Hopefully we can find a way to keep it going for a bit and then put tempo on development of the new one, but I wanted to put out this warning now, so you can be prepared.

To be clear, the game server is safe so we can keep playing, all data is safe in the database. It's only the website (including API) that may not work anymore.
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Re: elmaonline.net in 2019

Post by Grace »

Early last year, I experienced the joys of converting from PHP 5.5 to 7.0 at the same time as a server move for Cyberscore. It was a nightmare and I feel your pain.

If you're interested, I'm prepared to have a look at the codebase and see if any of the bigger issues that I faced can be rectified quickly, and do that. I know it'll essentially be for an already deprecated site, but it is probably still worth it.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

It's oke Kopaka. Thanks for all the work you do for our community :>
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Grace wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 03:51If you're interested, I'm prepared to have a look at the codebase and see if any of the bigger issues that I faced can be rectified quickly, and do that. I know it'll essentially be for an already deprecated site, but it is probably still worth it.
It might be quite a different experience, since the site is based on a PHP framework where the current version we use is not updated for php7, so the majority of the work would be updating that. We're on 2.0.2 and would need to upgrade to atleast 3.something as per https://www.codeigniter.com/userguide3/ ... ading.html Of course some of the more generic stuff you've experienced will probably come after that.

I would appreciate the help however little or small of course, so opening it up to more people could be an option. I'm also considering if I can just install 5.6 on some vps where we can control it ourselves. Not sure if there would be any major risks with continuing with 5.6.
ROKKEBOL
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by ROKKEBOL »

Hi what happened to the https://elmaonline.net/ranking page?

ArZeNiK
37mins club

Post by ArZeNiK »

ROKKEBOL wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 08:09 Hi what happened to the https://elmaonline.net/ranking page?
this happened https://elma.online/battles/ranking
hi im arzenik :>
elmzuke.lev is the greatest piece of art ever created