Please help testing vertex limit!

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

danitah
Kuski

Please help testing vertex limit!

Post by danitah »

As far as I can find it seems like no one has actually tested the grass vertex limit. Since cp080ff has 5727 vertices (5020 normal) and no one had a problem with it, so it seems like grass vertices are not a part of the normal 5130 limit. Maybe this is common knowledge but I've heard both things through the years, and the wiki doesn't make a distinction also.

I made a test lev with 5130 ground vertices and 6500 grass vertices and it seems to play fine, except some grass doesn't get rendered, so it seems like there is an upper limit to grass rendering at least. I dunno if it will be useful to find the upper limit beyond this and that's not what I'm trying to find out right now.

Please test to see if vertest.lev works for you. You don't have to post feedback if it works, just finish the lev online and I'll see your time in shift+F5. The more people who can play it without problems the more confident we can be that there is no issue.

Download lev vertest.lev with ctrl+F4 in eol or directly here.

It just takes a minute to finish (starts in upper left and ends in bottom right to make sure all extremities work fine).

Level stats:
Domovoy
Kuski

Re: Please help testing vertex limit!

Post by Domovoy »

danitah wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 06:07 seems like grass vertices are not a part of the normal 5130 limit
that is correct.

There're the following limits:
  • 300 polygons;
  • 1000 vertices per polygon (both grass and non-grass);
  • 5130 vertices in non-grass polygons;
  • 10000 pixels width for a grass polygon;
  • 12000 pixels height for a level.
danitah
Kuski

Re: Please help testing vertex limit!

Post by danitah »

Thanks, useful info!