Apple Battle playing tips

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

AndrY
38mins club
Team: .lev

Apple Battle playing tips

Post by AndrY »

Just thought today "why not to write this"? im not markku ofc, but mb it is helpful.

I noticed many really good players cant play apple balles, although there is nothing very different from usual balles. Pipe proes (will not tell the name) do absolutely unlogical things in pipes in apple balles. wtf??oo

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to play apple battles.

Imagine, an apple balle started. Its some standard (not pipe octopus) chrisapple. It doesn't have a countdown (its shit). Very fast go search lev and press enter.
Oke, you are in the lev now. Make sure of it and then

1) Make other people hidden. The main thing is to "study" the level and other bikes will distract you. Anyway, people will try easy apples, there is nothing interesting to spy.

Go take apls.

The main rule (mistake) imo:
2) Apple is NOT usual battle mode! Even 5-10 seconds don't affect on result. Don't risk far from start, if there is a safe but little slower style. Save your time. You need time for hard apples. Dont waste you time in ez apples.

3) Try not to die and go in some direction from the start as long as possible. Obv.

4) If there is some deadlock with hard or unclear apple, miss it. Or try once to make sure its unclear.
If apple is hard but you think its very pos, you can make few tries. Few. 2-3, if the apple is not very far. Then throw it and go to find other ez apples.

5) Always think and watch out your head. Obv.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oke, you had studied the lev and had taken all easy apples.
Next actions:

6) If some far apple is hard (and other apples in this direction are taken), go editor, replace start position rename the lev and try there. It REALLY helps. No useless wasting of the time in tries to achieve the hard place (what if its impos?).

7) You can make other people shown to spy hard apple styles. You can get luck and see some mega ez style for apple seemed absolutely impossible for you. It really happens sometimes.

8) Always think. Don't do unlogical panic moves. Especially when you are far. Especially when you fall between tight triangles.
Sometines ppl make some strange volt and die in max obv places, just cant understand such:/

8a) In tight places: if there isnt need a volt, don't do it!

End of balle
See f6. If adi and markku were not playing, you name theoretically had to be 1st. GZ

mb will add more specific advices like 8a or smth other later
pls correct if something wrong. or write your version how to play apples.
My levs and other Elma things: sites.google.com/view/elma-andry + youtube
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Re: Apple Battle playing tips

Post by pawq »

AndrY wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 22:288) Always think.
oke
(also, nice italicised bracket, me gusto)

AndrY wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 22:28Pipe proes (will not tell the name) do absolutely unlogical things in pipes in apple balles. wtf??oo
You don't understand... if there's a fun pipe, you gotta play it with a fun yolo style, doesn't matter that it's an apple battle! doesn't count if you don't do it full speed
Last edited by pawq on 11 Sep 2019, 23:26, edited 2 times in total.
Labs
37mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Labs »

My version of playing appel balles:

1, Accidentally go onto a appel balle
2, Take some appels so wont be last
3, Leave lev
Team SPEED

AndrY
38mins club

Post by AndrY »

Also:

9) If you cant take some apple, try to find other style, which is easier for you. Usually there are >1 style on each. Obv?
Sometimes you think there is the only 1 impsy style. It isnt.

10) There could be some secret apples in some down-right corner of the level. i like to put such in levs. go editor to check.
Also there in down suddenly could be a grav-up apple. Really better to check lev as earliy as poss to avoid time wasting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

btw some advices are oke for FF-s too imo

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
pawq wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 23:23 You don't understand... if there's a fun pipe, you gotta play it with a fun yolo style, doesn't matter that it's an apple battle! doesn't count if you don't do it full speed
thats what i meaned in rule 2 xDD. Oke, it depends on aim: to win or to have fun.
really rules 2 and 8a are just cry from the heart. i spy how some mans playing apples and feel "OMG WTF????". they do such paradoxal things they would never do if its usual balle. they kill themselves or miss aples max nab ways. just cant get it.

wtf forgot the main neccesary rule, very obv.

0) Play MORE apples, and you will get all yourself.
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

Labs wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 02:32 My version of playing appel balles:

1, Accidentally go onto a appel balle
2, Take some appels so wont be last
3, Leave lev
Same =DDD
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Open the lev in SLE and remove apples as you take them. That way you won't have to worry about memorizing anything.
AndrY
38mins club

Post by AndrY »

Hah :D

but imo if its poss to remember all apples in a try, then its ez to fix in mind all apples in lev.
Just hard to imagine a lev where this method would really work hmm

Labs wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 02:32 My version of playing appel balles:
Bjenn wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 14:06 Same =DDD
you didnt comprehend the essence of apple balles imo, mans :?
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

My version: spy mans 8)
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

AndrY wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 21:28you didnt comprehend the essence of apple balles imo, mans :?
I think you don't comprehend that some people just don't take it seriously and cruise for fun :P
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

my style usually:
1. do unlogical panic moves until lucked an appel somehow
2. repeat 1 until ragequit

spying mans is very useful training, but decide at start if you play the current battle or rather spy mans. focus on one thing only.
spy only 1, max 2 mans during the whole battle, memorize their collected and missed apples.
spy stronger when a hard apple is taken for the X.th try and try to understand what was the problem with the failed tries and why the successful try worked.

please write tips for AB making too!!!
AndrY
38mins club

Post by AndrY »

Hmm
I suspect Chris makes apples very random (true?) even without oke eyes testing.
Really its impsy to explain such things imo . Often when i test everything in lev and draw every line with thinking it goes to shit, but if i draw something random, it turns to cool iq spot:/
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

Asking for a friend, what's the best way to memorize which apples are taken in a 50+ apples apple battle? Is the kuchitsu method common?
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

I just start by taking everything in one side of the level, trying to start from the top. It's way easier to remember which apples are too hard to take right away so its not gonna be a problem to skip some. I don't think I have forgotten an apple in all the glorious like 50 apple battles I played.

so systematically taking everything in (at least some kind of) order is the best way imo. ofc it doesnt matter how you see the order or what it's based on, just make a system for yourself

aple battles best game mode, also is the best (most consistent) representator of skill among all battel modes imo, beside or even ahead normal battles. just not played by all and not for as long as normal battles.
ROKKEBOL
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by ROKKEBOL »

AndrY wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 22:28 write your version how to play apples.
Just make otyhers hidden and play untill you have all possible apples taken. Then you can spy special markku styles and try to reproduce his moves (90% impsy but who cares).
Then go ragequit.

ArZeNiK
37mins club

Post by ArZeNiK »

AndrY wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 22:28 write your version how to play apples.
i often try collecting as many unique apples as possible within the time limit specified
hi im arzenik :>
elmzuke.lev is the greatest piece of art ever created
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

wow people so funny in this topic :roll:
Chris
Kuski

Post by Chris »

AndrY wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 12:35 Hmm
Really its impsy to explain such things imo . Often when i test everything in lev and draw every line with thinking it goes to shit, but if i draw something random, it turns to cool iq spot:/
I just draw lev with cool spots then when lev is ready I put apples in more or less poss cool spots. I rarely modify lev when I place apples.

It all comes from spying experience. I have many proven ideas for apples spots and general level design tested by mans in battles that I recycle all the time in levs. I sometimes try something new. You test that new stuff for me. If it's wrong I often try to modify that idea again in some next lev and you guys again test that for me. This is why very often there is no need to eye check anything at all when lev is ready, what saves a lot of time when I draw levs.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

Chris wrote: 2 Oct 2019, 07:54
AndrY wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 12:35 Hmm
I just draw lev with cool spots then when lev is ready I put apples in more or less poss cool spots. I rarely modify lev when I place apples.

It all comes from spying experience. I have many proven ideas for apples spots and general level design tested by mans in battles that I recycle all the time in levs. I sometimes try something new. You test that new stuff for me. If it's wrong I often try to modify that idea again in some next lev and you guys again test that for me. This is why very often there is no need to eye check anything at all when lev is ready, what saves a lot of time when I draw levs.
You smart.
Chris
Kuski

Post by Chris »

Thx Bjenn <3