BUG reports of elma1.2 BETA Version!

Feature requests and ideas for the new unofficial versions of Elma and general talk related to those.

Moderator: Moporators

onlainari
Kuski

BUG reports of elma1.2 BETA Version!

Post by onlainari »

If I try run it 1600x1200 I get a message <<message.inf accessed>> 849yptgp8

after that elma closes when I press enter, I get elma opened,but at the time when I try to reach/view folder that has .lev or .leb or whatever files... (after PLAY) screen and (after entering some levpack) that message appears..

This is maybe my PC? I have nvidia geforce4 ti4200 videocard and pretty new PC anyway.. 2,0ghz

other resolutions and zooms works good so far..

I don't get any messages to that message.inf....
Hibernatus
Le pilote

Post by Hibernatus »

Hmm finally i couldn't leave, so i'm at home this week end.
Thanks for that topic, i think it will be useful for not reporting 10 times the same bug.

I'll call your bug BUG1.
And now, here is my own bug report:

--

BUG2

Parameters:
- resolution >= 1024*768
- zoom >= 3
- navigator size >= 350*175
- navigator zoom <= 1 (low compared to resolution and zoom)

Happens when you have the navigator enabled and go near a border of a lev.

Internal error: ecset::kitesz Xe1 < 20 Xe2 > maxx-20 ye1 < 20 ye2 > sorszam-20!

--

BUG3

Parameters:
zoom * 10 < navigator zoom

Happens whenever you load a level.

Internal error: ecset::addszakasz y < 10 y >= sorszam!

--
Hibernatus
Le pilote

Post by Hibernatus »

reply to BUG1:
Must be because i extend the capacity of the displayed part of a list. There may be a limit, because elma uses many static buffers. I'll correct it by putting a limit.

reply to BUG2:
I don't feel like reverse engineering the whole nevigator display.
Quick solution (should be the safest one) : removing the navigator zoom option, and making it increase/decrease together with the global zoom.
Or maybe i'll try to find the safe combinations (zoom X, resolution Y, nav size Z, nav zoom T) and only allow them in elmaconf.

reply to BUG3:
That's natural, it will just be forbidden in elmaconf. Kinda same solution as for BUG2.

About BUG2 again, i need somebody to test the following situation:
- make a lev that is the shortest box where the kuski can fit. there must be only ONE polygon, a squarre.
- put the flower between the head and the wheels so that it's in the box but the lev isn't finished when you press enter.
- now test the following parameters: maximum resolution (1600*1200), maximum zoom (3), maximum nav size (350*175) and minimum nav zoom (1). It should make BUG2.
- now test it with nav zoom 1.5 and tell me if it works. Thanks.
dz
first 39tt
Team: FM

Post by dz »

when i try to start elma12.exe the screen leaves grey and goes to desktop if i press some button leaving this message in error.txt:

<<message.inf accessed>>
qopen nem talalta meg nagyfileban file-t!:
intro12.pcx

edit : i got it fixed now
Hibernatus
Le pilote

Post by Hibernatus »

BUG1, BUG2 and BUG3 fixed.
i'll try to upload the new files.
also i have an LGR i would like to upload.
it's default.lgr without the pictures and masks (for zooms with grass only) and a big and "tilable" sky (for any resolution).

for people who have dz's bug, read the installation instructions in elma12.txt.
MagnusB
Kuski

Post by MagnusB »

Any ideas about solving the problem with pictures not being resizable?
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

somthing that makes the pictures disappear when you zoom
Hibernatus
Le pilote

Post by Hibernatus »

MagnusB: resized pictures are not worth the work, i my opinion. i could actually do it, i know how to do it. hmmm, the more i think about it, the more i feel like doing it. i've just realized it could be easy :) well well well, next weekend i won't be home. but maybe if i have some free time every evening, i can slowly make that new function. it would be cool if i made it before that week end so that you can beta test it intensively.
but i you must understand that the resizing will be as ugly as for apples. if elma was in true color mode (not with a palette), i could quickly add a bilinear interpolation. too bad it isn't.

if i don't add that resizing function, you still have three solutions:
- you make an LGR for each zoom level. if somebody really does it, i might include an option in elmaconf.exe to automatically use the right LGR with each zoom level.
- you make an LGR with grass only (without masks and pics). i have one i will try to upload.
- you play with low video detail.

/edit: i can't use the FTP from here, so i mailed my files to guyb, jcl and skintor. they will upload them for me.
epp
Kuski

Post by epp »

who iz the beta testers ?
Image ^_^
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

eppeJ wrote:who iz the beta testers ?
?? All people, download the patch and if try it, then you're a beta tester, espicially if you tell about the bugs you find.
KD
Kuski

Post by KD »

For me over 1024*768 is not working, only a gray background, and then back to windows (it was written before).
The orther problem which is since the first 1.11h is the fast rec view (2x). If i press the button of it, then the rec seems to stop, but when i release, the motor will be far from the point i've last seen it ( so it is actually going while i press the button :D). I hope it was clear enough to understand, sorry for my english.
Thinking is not entertainment but an obligation! - Strugatsky bros
Mick
Kuski

Post by Mick »

i dont know about u guys, but i know when to press certain buttons in levels because of what the ground and walls look like at that time. so i cant really hoyl for wr's with this patch because the wall and ground pictures do not change.

i would love that lgr change thing if someone where to make them for all zooms.
team EM - why not ok?
KD
Kuski

Post by KD »

I accustomed any new resolutions and centered camera in some secs time, and back too. Dunno why is it so hard for you.
Btw my rec watching problem is solved, i was soo stupid :lol: (won't tell why)
Jalli
Pipe King

Post by Jalli »

Putting break and fast forward on same key, eyy KD? :P
4th position in WC4 (DAMN YOU KARLIS!!!!) PWNED KARLIS IN WC5!!!!TT:39:2x:xx (you've got some playing to do Stini ;) ) When it's all over the question is not who was right. The question is who's left.
KD
Kuski

Post by KD »

Jalli: no. It was more difficult, coz while pressing the key the rec was still going on , but i didn't see it.
chux
Kuski

Post by chux »

pause and ff...?
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned.
Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
Jalli
Pipe King

Post by Jalli »

Yeah, that's what I meant, pause and ff, sorry about writing wrong up there :oops:
4th position in WC4 (DAMN YOU KARLIS!!!!) PWNED KARLIS IN WC5!!!!TT:39:2x:xx (you've got some playing to do Stini ;) ) When it's all over the question is not who was right. The question is who's left.
KD
Kuski

Post by KD »

Ok i tell ya if you are so interested about it :) I use button "I" for 2x fast forward...imagine the rest...
Hibernatus
Le pilote

Post by Hibernatus »

KD: same button for screenshot and FF. and the screenshot is slow in high resolutions.

BUG4:
Apples and flowers and killers reversed horizontally.
-> fixed

New (last) features:
- Zoomed pictures and masks (not textures and grass, it would be ugly).
- option to put all the pictures behind the bike.

New problem: zoomed pictures have revealed a bug of elma 1.11a. put a mask deep in the ground (far from the limits of a lev). -> crash (null pointer exception, shame on balazs ;) ).
Of course, a higher zoom increases the risk of having that bug. but fortunately it happens only when loading the lev, not while you play.
And of course, some pictures become too big (you might have already encountered that limit if you have made LGRs).

To mick: just make a lgr with bigger textures, or increase your vertical frequency (dxsetup or something like that).
chux
Kuski

Post by chux »

Im not sure if this has been said before, but it hasnt in a way i understand :D, if it has, sorry for the waste of time.
I play in 7--x1024 and when i play (replays) in fully zoomed out mode, the pictures of bushes etc. are still normal size. they get in the way of the kuski.
(I found this in Apple Harvest...if thats important)
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned.
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

This appeared in the background when starting Elma_111hb:

Code: Select all

<<message.inf accessed>>
SetCooperativeLevel did not succeed, talalt!: 
Since message.inf was accessed, I guess it has to do with elma12 anyway.
(Or maybe I should say elmaconf.exe)

BTW, does ElmaConf for Elma12 work for Elma_111hb too? I mean, not the res options etc. o(of course), but the old stuff...?

PS. Elma worked fine even though this error appeared in the background.
<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
<yoosef> zworqy doesnt suck at anything
KD
Kuski

Post by KD »

talalt! - means founded! if it helps in any way.
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

hib, you can add to your patch just simple changing default lgr
it's easy so do it (it's your patch)
[carebox]
Hibernatus
Le pilote

Post by Hibernatus »

mila: too late. or maybe in the final version. but i find it useless and a little bit hax0r fashion (changing texts etc.). useless because you can rename or use lgrlist.txt.
unless there's a reason i didn't see?

zworqy:
message.inf was already in across, you know. all the versions. there are other switches, but you don't need them (only f_rate.inf maybe).
your bug is not an elma bug, it's a directx exception.
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

Hibernatus wrote:New (last) features:
- option to put all the pictures behind the bike.
Great!
This is definately the Best Feature in the patch. :D
I allways wanted this. But I am not sure the patch is a good thing, since changing settings affects the bike in same way as tuning. :/
Elasto Mania - ez better
Hibernatus
Le pilote

Post by Hibernatus »

indeed. i hope it will not make too much difference. everybody has a fast computer and should play at the vertical frequency :)
Ky.Jelly
Flood to teh MAX

Post by Ky.Jelly »

ok i was plating elma today as you do
and i converted the internals into externals using QWQUU0xx.lev,
now when i finished a level a got this error

<<message.inf accessed>>
hjdvgyi

dont kno how much use this is but thought i might just post it anyway
[10:51:18] <skint0r> i could SACh see KyJelly working at ICA ;D
[10:51:37] <skint0r> "vad kostar denna?" "wtf ch0b0"
Thursday, March 2nd 2005, 0942 i was 3333 [4.43% of total / 3.25 posts per day]
KD
Kuski

Post by KD »

hjdvgyi is zworqy's little brother's name, who is actually Rózsa Balázs, and therefore he made this lev to be locked.
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

KD wrote:hjdvgyi is zworqy's little brother's name, who is actually Rózsa Balázs, and therefore he made this lev to be locked.
Hey! WTF did you bring me into this for?! I don't even have any brothers, I don't think anyone believe you anyway. An it's not funny either. :evil:
Hibernatus
Le pilote

Post by Hibernatus »

Ky.Jelly wrote:ok i was plating elma today as you do
and i converted the internals into externals using QWQUU0xx.lev,
now when i finished a level a got this error

<<message.inf accessed>>
hjdvgyi

dont kno how much use this is but thought i might just post it anyway
Thanks, i'll have a look at it to tell you what that bug came from.
Hibernatus
Le pilote

Post by Hibernatus »

ky jelly:
It happened when updating the top10 in the lev file.
If i've well understood the code, the offset of the 1st magic number (the one just before the top10) was lower than 6.

I guess you just played an empty QWQUU###.LEV file. Elma loaded the internal in memory, but then it tried to update the top10 in the empty file.
Am i right? :)

Anyway, it's not a 1.2 bug. But thanks anyway. The more reports i get, the better.
RedRob
Kuski

Post by RedRob »

With lots of help of you guys i got 1.2 running, and I've played for a few days now. It was nice to look at all levels at 0.1 zoom and 1600*1200, and finally see what alle the levels looked like (no surpises btw). It would have been a giveaway for a n00b who didn't know where to find the secret area's

My favorite Elmaconfig options are:

1600*1200
1.5 zoom
-zoom textures

420*210
0.75 zoom

but, when I used "pictures in the background", my whole pc crashed and rebooted (???) when this happenend these where the prperties I used: 1600*1200, 0.1 zoom, 140*170, 0.5.

Furthermore, the most Important option I think that is missing I the game elma is the: replay while you're playing or the "ghostrider".

This is the only way you can actively compete with your best score. If this whould be added, the game (version 1.2 of it) would be perfect. I love the level packs option for eg.

Thanx for making the game even cooler!
RedRob
Kuski

Post by RedRob »

I just read what you, Hibernatus think about "the ghostrider" in another topic, and if the good players with the influence and everything don't want anyone to be able to exacly copycat there moves (which sounds fair), I would propose the folowing:

Let elma automaticly save and overwrite the replay of one own's best time on a level, and save it in a different format, or all the gost replays in one big file. Make an option where you put the "automatic ghost player" on or of. Maybe also one, where you can export all your ghost replays to "real" replays. This way, your best replay will never get lost.

this way you will only be able to goohstrace against your own best time.

Using the ghostrider option you can only perfectionate your own trials, which is really really handy. In the game whiteout this option is really the coolest option of the game.

please consider this, it would really complete the game to 100%.
MagnusB
Kuski

Post by MagnusB »

"RedRob wrote:it would really complete the game to 100%.
That's what you think, others might think that it would ruin the game. It's a pretty drastic change you're suggesting, it would probably make it even easier to copy styles, which would in turn make höyling even more important than it is now. Using ghost drivers would be like driving with an auto-pilot; you don't even have to think for yourself, just imitate.

This discussion should be here: http://moposite.com/mopolauta/viewtopic.php?t=952
Hibernatus
Le pilote

Post by Hibernatus »

RedBob: What OS, CPU, chipset, memory brand? It cannot be because of that option (pictures in background). It's probably not because of the patch at all. but tell me more, we never know. When did it reboot? When loading the game? Right after loading the lev? While you were playing?
I think you rather have a problem with your computer. For example, i've changed my RAM recently (samsung rox) and now i don't have all the crashes i usually had. I even have a directory named "S9stem32" in my windows directory! Difference between "y" and "9" : 1 bit. That's how i understood the memory was the problem :) I now have to reinstall winxp, then the problem will be 100% solved.
RedRob
Kuski

Post by RedRob »

Yeah, you're right as always :-)

I tried to reenact the crash by having all the settings like I wrote them down, and......nothing happened, so never mind must be my f*cked windows, which I need to reinstall.

My nick btw is RedRob, but you can call me anything. I am really jealous btw about the fact that it is so easy for you to change anything you want in ElMa (and probably in any or every other program).

What else have you worked on/are you working on?
Hibernatus
Le pilote

Post by Hibernatus »

Wooops, big appologize for your nickname :) I'm so used to roberts who prefer bob to rob.
I'm not a code hacking expert, elma is actually my first real "crack". I've learned 50% of my x86 asm knowledge with those patches (http://oopweb.com/Assembly/Documents/Ar ... olume.html).
The only other hax0r project before elma was a program to change the speed of the L2 cache in old Athlons. I disassembled a bios image (and killed my mobo). I knew where the interesting part of the code was thanks to another guy, but i was still proud of it when it worked (on the 2nd mobo :) ).
Well in school i also designed a microprocessor (with a micromachine, ALU, etc.), but i can't say it helped for the patches. Anyway, you don't have to be a genius to patch, asm is the simplest language, but that's also why it's so hard/long to read :)
Since i've started elma patches, i've looked at some other programs and i can say elma is easier to read than most of them, because balazs programs at a low level, very C-fashion (his classes are just like sets of functions and static variables).
Ragnar
Kuski

Post by Ragnar »

The "replay save reminder" doesn't seem to do anything...
I have the box checked, but nothing happens when I finish a level, there is no message or anything.
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

Ragnar: You have to make best time !
Hibernatus
Le pilote

Post by Hibernatus »

Make a best time, then instead of saving your replay try to do anything else (press Esc or anything). It works only once so you are not forced to save your replay, just reminded.
eL
Kuski

Post by eL »

where can i download the beta??!!
The fact that bob isn't banned proves that even Abula makes mistakes...
eL - the n00best n00b of all n00bs
Nicolas
39mins club

Post by Nicolas »

Small problem : I can't use tabulation key for alovolt. Why?
Nicolas Inc.
2fast
Kuski

Post by 2fast »

I have a big problem-I cant play level num. 30 (pipe)Whats wrong.
HerbieWest
Kuski

Post by HerbieWest »

OK, i have finally downloaded, resedit.sfx.exe and elma12.sfx.exe, do I NEED to download lev2leb.sfx.exe? where do I find it since all links are down? becouse I do all that is asked in the .txt files, and this is the message I receive:

<<message.inf accessed>>

Nem ervenyes abc file also negy byte alajpan:!

kisbetu1.abc

WHAT?? the .res folder that comes with elma12.sfx.exe is supposed to only have 3 files? where is this abc file, in the lev2leb?
2fast
Kuski

Post by 2fast »

HerbieWest wrote:OK, i have finally downloaded, resedit.sfx.exe and elma12.sfx.exe, do I NEED to download lev2leb.sfx.exe? where do I find it since all links are down? becouse I do all that is asked in the .txt files, and this is the message I receive:

<<message.inf accessed>>

Nem ervenyes abc file also negy byte alajpan:!

kisbetu1.abc

WHAT?? the .res folder that comes with elma12.sfx.exe is supposed to only have 3 files? where is this abc file, in the lev2leb?

I keep getting the same thing <<message.inf accessed>>
what does that mean
I also can`t watch some replays
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

No, you don't need lev2leb.

<<message.inf accessed>> means that info has been added to that
file. Look in your Elma folder to read it.

Are you sure you have run ResEdit and imported the the pack "res"?
HerbieWest
Kuski

Post by HerbieWest »

No, message.inf has nothing in it. Dont you know what the other part of the message means? it says something about kisbetu1.abc and abc files. When I import the res pack, only three files show * on the side, and kisbetu1.abc doesn't. Should it?

another thing. in the elma12.sfx.exe there is an elma12.exe, in the end, is that what I should use to run the game? do I have to rename it "elma.exe"?
HerbieWest
Kuski

Post by HerbieWest »

problem solved. had to reinstall elma though, thanks anyway.

by the way: kick-ass patch!!! having lots of fun with it.
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

HerbieWest wrote: another thing. in the elma12.sfx.exe there is an elma12.exe, in the end, is that what I should use to run the game? do I have to rename it "elma.exe"?
Yes it is! Duuh!

BTW, there's 4 files in my res folder.
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

You don't have to rename elma12.exe
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ