NEW Elma Clone

Feature requests and ideas for the new unofficial versions of Elma and general talk related to those.

Moderator: Moporators

Zweq
34mins club

Re: NEW Elma Clone

Post by Zweq »

"so that's a piano?!"
Eizon
Kuski

Post by Eizon »

Sorry, couldn't find a picture of a piano with one tangent. Guess it doesn't exist.
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
<yoosef> zworqy doesnt suck at anything
Eizon
Kuski

Post by Eizon »

WHOA! Where can I get one?! XD
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Bizarre, I think they use that on oldskool gabber tracks =D
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

(Just in case someone doesn't get it, it's photoshopped [nat by me])
<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
<yoosef> zworqy doesnt suck at anything
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

I laughed ! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
Eizon
Kuski

Post by Eizon »

By luck, I figured a way to overcome my serious spring and dampening problem. I still have to fine-tune the values though, have to change and test the values all the time. Quite time-consuming, so I will implement a way for beta-testers to adjust these values.

I tend to use too much time jumping around in invincible mode though :P Maybe I should call it "Bounce Mania" :D
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Good you're still working on it. Bounce mania would be ofcourse most lame of the lameness in the square of lameness whilst god pouring out some more lame over it, but go your gang.
Eizon
Kuski

Post by Eizon »

That was is one of the nicer reviews of the game before any release, thank you.

Don't worry about the name though, I've decided on "Lame Mania".
Eizon
Kuski

Post by Eizon »

A little update before taking a brake again for mathematics exam:

The physics exam really helped the game, managed to fix a few minor problems. I have also implemented a few things preparing for the beta-tester friendly release.

One of the things I had in mind is to create a master server for miscellaneous tasks. Multi player is not a priority, and not yet constructed. First online features to be prioritized is probably a database and chat room. Though I have to get a freaking domain first.

In other things. Does anyone here have 3D or music related skills? Would like opinions.
Please post feature-requests as well.
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

first get the game to work and then you can think about some other useless stuff like chat or database
[carebox]
western
Kuski

Post by western »

Eizon wrote:Does anyone here have 3D or music related skills?
I have never told anyone, but I once had this colorful elma dream. this wasn't exactly like 3d; in fact it was plain 2d. but thing that hit me was these... omg, can you call these "colors?" I don't know why I'm losing my time explaining this to you; it is so ineffable. but thing is, it wasn't static at all. yes, the frames (walls) were static, and consisting of single yellow or purple lines on the downhill, but the color trails were just magnificent. there were these intense shades of blue, of green, of yellow, of purple, etc., star-trailing behind the kuski, describing sinusoidal trajectories... sound like I want you to reproduce what I've dreamt into a game, but you'd just lose your time if you'd try in doing so.
Eizon
Kuski

Post by Eizon »

Loosing time? That's why there is several developers in most cases. Though I really want to be, it is rather difficult to be a professional designer, musician and programmer. Besides, time is not an issue, as I do not plan to release the game to public before graduation.

About the online stuff. Thank you for pointing out why it is not prioritized. However, a homepage is a must.
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

i can maybe help you with the music, but don't rely too much on just me :)
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Eizon
Kuski

Post by Eizon »

What can you play/make?

I might have some friend too. (As I am a musician myself)
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

what kinda of music are yuo thinking of? theme song? songs that are playing in the background of each internal level? menu song? or what?

give some examples =)
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
Eizon
Kuski

Post by Eizon »

Mainly theme songs, sound effect won't hurt. As of now, I got nothing. But I prefer creative people to decide for themselves.
I really don't want to have in-game music though. I want people to be able to play MP3s of their choice in the background in a separate application. The game should obviously be able to flawlessly change between fullscreen and windowed.
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

i'm generally familiar with most instruments - i have a composer program that has like 80 instruments but i think you can dl more, currently i'm playing Trombone, Piano and Voice, however i spend most of my time around musicians.

dunno about sound effects.
Image Cyberscore! Image
totem
39mins club

Post by totem »

Eizon wrote:Does anyone here have 3D or music related skills? Would like opinions.
3D here, it's my job

pm me if you have questions, maybe i could help
Eizon
Kuski

Post by Eizon »

To SmaXa:
You don't need a band, your a one-man-band ^^
Anyway, if you have time, feel free to compose a little demo. No boundaries for creativity.
Eizon
Kuski

Post by Eizon »

Aright! Now that I am done with all the exams. I got time for a little update:
I totally redesigned the menu-system. Implemented skin selector. Also made a menu for beta-testers to change parameters. In-game pause menu, with a resume button. Springs is getting better, feels a lot like original. Wheel friction problem is fixed thanks to the new awesome update from BEPUphysics. The biggest current problem is that the angular momentum is conserved, however it is not in the original elma.

I also started making the temporary official website. I have server, but not domain. The official will be launched when I have decided on a name.

Beta shouldn't be too far away.
Bismuth
Kuski
Team: <3

Post by Bismuth »

I can make music, but midi for me :(

Maybe someone could help me with a nice MP3 converter with nice sounds and something... I have something but it's so complicated I don't know how to use it, it's Samplitude.
:mrhat:
Eizon
Kuski

Post by Eizon »

Sorry, don't know anything about MIDI.

Another thing, I am considering dropping or reduce priority on the following features. Any objections?
-Local multiplayer
-Multiple save-files
-Replay
-Online/LAN multiplayer
-HQ graphics
-Sound (fx & bgmusic)
-Less internal
-Downloads server
-Level editor
-Beta release
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

let's make an game lulz^^
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

Priority needs to go higher on Internal Levels, Replays, Beta version and level editor :)
Image Cyberscore! Image
Eizon
Kuski

Post by Eizon »

Internal is not really a problem, but it will take some time to design 50+ maps, I won't make the same maps as in the original. Others can do that. Google Sketchup should work just fine.
Replays will be very hard to do.
Game is in development, however I think I have to delay the release.
Level editor is close to impossible, won't make this before everything else is perfect. I won't bother making Google SketchUp all over again.

Another thing. What do you guys want in the GUI. Map? Timer? Health (includes making health system)? AppleCounter? Nothing?

I also just finished making the master-server. It does not do anything besides listing gameservers ip-adresses, though I have not started on the gameserver yet.
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

maybe optional timer and map, but you need to press buttons to get them to come up (so as you start up and enter level there's nothing shown)

=]
Image Cyberscore! Image
Eizon
Kuski

Post by Eizon »

All physics features are implemented, missing only small tweaks.
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

Eizon wrote:I will inform when I open for beta-testing. Though you can expect that it will take some time. I have a lot of exams now (stupid chemistry). And for course, programming takes a lot of time.

In the meantime, anyone with decent 3D modelling skills can start making levels. My game supports clean .fbx and .x files, in total covers almost every 3D package out there. Collision detection operates on the XY plane. Starting, apples and killers positions are determined by a text document following the syntax:

#Start
x-position,y-position,0
#Goal
x-position,y-position,0
x-position,y-position,0
#Apple
x-position,y-position,0
x-position,y-position,0
x-position,y-position,0
#Killer
x-position,y-position,0
x-position,y-position,0
#End

More features will be embedded in this file format, such as triggers for apple gravity, moving objects, etc. Hopefully I can manage to even create a in-game level-editor, but that is lower priority. To compensate, in-game connection with a master-server for downloadable levels should be easier and more practical for gamers.
Read "Real-time collision detection" written by Christer Ericson.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
Eizon
Kuski

Post by Eizon »

Ohhh, nice - noted for later use ^^

Sadly, I haven't got around doing much more on the project. Many small and large reasons for this, the biggest being that my computer broke down.

I'll resume as soon as that and other issues have been dealt with. As a consequence, the beta-release will be delayed to unknown time. I hope Q1 09'.