Monthly payments in EOL

Feature requests and ideas for the new unofficial versions of Elma and general talk related to those.

Moderator: Moporators

User
Kuski

Monthly payments in EOL

Post by User »

after long discussion we decided to include a small monthly fee to EOL. this is good for several reasons, first of all, we can be pretty sure each person only has one account when we see the payments are coming from account X, its easy to create new email and use fake information, even hide your ip by using a proxy. this payment method will reduce amount of trolls by 99.99%.
secondly, moposite probably needs to buy more space for all the levels/recs and database info and it will cost money obv, if 50 people pay lets say $3-$5 a month we can cover the costs easily. any extra can go to future months or even reward some players, like battler of the month with a free month of playing.

so what would you think its approriate cost per month? we though about 3-5 dollars per month, another thought was to make it free to play after the initial payment (to check your identity) and have more expensive premium accounts that have some benefits (like for example ability to start more than 1 battle at a time) this second option we didnt really like but share your opinion about it.

opinions? more ideas? feel free to share it with us
dz
first 39tt
Team: FM

Re: Monthly payments in EOL

Post by dz »

Well as for online players like me, who play this month maybe 3-10 battles whole month, next month > 20, the following possible zero, the monthly pay fee is not very motivating and I would most likely stop playing online.

As for someone who plays daily, I cannot comment since I'm not one of them. But this stinks if the main idea is to get rid of unwanted players.. I'm sure for that there are much cheaper ways like changing registration mechanism or letting only players play who are identified in some way trough registration process.

And the price feels high (60 dollars in a year!), it could very well be $1. And why talk about dollars when most people are from Europe?
Raven
Moporator
Team: MiE

Post by Raven »

Dont know about this monthly payment thing. It will Surely decrease the amount of players which makes playing not so nice..

Just let's think about those youngsters, like here in Finland you cant get teh internet bank thing when you're underaged etc. Of course you can walk to closest bank and transfer money from there too. Fuck ok, wasn't good point.

I could easily pay some $5 per month.. But i think nekit doesn't have money for that Or he's not that intelligent that he can use some banktransfer methods.. Ok was a joke))

But on second thought, that reward thing is nice idea, very nice..

i'm just scared of the lack of players if monthly payments comes. Seriously.
Seize the day
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

I would not pay for play.
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

i would. but 1$ is ok i think. ez tens of players anyway
DaFred
39mins club

Post by DaFred »

imo monthly payment is too stressful and unfair for rarely players but I would like a unique payment of 10-20€ for regestration and then maybe yearly a new one...
what's about the donations of old belma server btw? Was some 1000€ or wasn't?
Kiiwi
37mins club

Post by Kiiwi »

I'd personally have a good laugh and go back to hoyling offline, who the hell would PAY to play this online?
it's excruciating enough without having to pay for not getting best time in a lev :roll:

And lack of players would make battling very boring shortly and then the online scene would wither away little by little :?

But you do what u see best.
Image "It's good to be having fun, but it'd be funnier to be good"
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

Now that i come to think about it it's a good idea, cause i won't pay and i guess belma server will go down which will make me play less this game and more study ;o
Bismuth
Kuski
Team: <3

Post by Bismuth »

I think 80% of players will quit if EOL has monthly payments. I could try to donate money if it's necessary, but with my 16-year-old budget I wouldn't have thousands to give away. Please, please find something else.
:mrhat:
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Heh. i didn't pay for Elma, like i'm gunna pay for online when i can't see anyone anyway. I'll save my money kthx.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

Jappe wrote:after long discussion we decided to include a small monthly fee to EOL. ...
Who's "we"? So you decide it first, and then ask here?

Well you're just not gonna see me in eol if it has some payments. It will reduce amount of players. Donation button would be enough.
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

Hosting servers is a costly business, I'm aware of that, but it's not good idea to force everyone to pay. EOL will be dead place. You should give the donors something that others don't have. Like limited admin privileges or/and ability to start more types of battles- limit battle options for regular players. Just don't force everyone to pay, unless your intention is to kill this scene.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

im hostile to giving more privileges for money... but this time it seems to work :( anyway i think i could pay some 10$ every quarter or sach...
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

what kind of april joke is this? :lol: if you'll really do this, i'll play fucking WoW
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

could kd, kopa or zwor confirm what jappe said? because i just don't believe him.
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

lalala. Goodbye Online elma :(
Image Cyberscore! Image
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Wategak. I've read every post, and I have yet to be convinced why a payment should be bad.

"Most players will quit"
I have often fantasized about getting a belma server of my own, inviting only those with whom I'd like to play. Having a monthly payment is like getting a server of your own, only cheaper. It would be like every person you want to play with payed for it.

"I can't afford it (?)"
Seriously. I mean... Seriously.

1. Imagine all the hard work that has been put into EOL. Do you really think it's fair that the people who made it should also pay for it? I, at least, think a monthly payment would be a great way to give something back to the people who deserve some recognition.

2. $4 a month? That's nothing. $4 is an incredibly cheap price for a game you play almost daily. And even if you don't play it daily, it's still cheap. Also, if you don't feel like playing for a month, but just want to check belma like once or twice, perhaps you could just borrow a friend's login for an hour or so.

3. A monthly payment would ensure better service as well. A person who is payed to be an active mod will do a much better job in banning, aborting, chat banning etc, than a person who doesn't get anything for their work. Imagine you were a doctor, and you had to pay others to cure them. No one would be a doctor. Give the people what they deserve I say. And still, most (if not all) of the money will not even be spent on the people behind EOL, it will be spent on EOL, making it a better game.

For $4 a month you'll get better service, a server free from mangos, active moderators and a game you'll enjoy even more than belma. $4! My friend spent $3.5 on a pencil the other day!

My only wish is that you make paying this sum easy. I don't want to sit in front of my internet bank for 5 hours to figure out how to mongo, k10x.

Mashed banana, sticky roof. Watch out; it's dripping. Eww.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

i discussed with mila and it was decided there should be a monthly fee, i will also get 20% of the income so i can concentrate on höyling tt to 34 instead of wasting time graduating and working and shit. it is for the greater good
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Zweq wrote:i discussed with mila and it was decided there should be a monthly fee, i will also get 20% of the income so i can concentrate on höyling tt to 34 instead of wasting time graduating and working and shit. it is for the greater good
Yes. You've gotta have hoylas. I will donate $10 for your cause.
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

Zweq wrote:i discussed with mila and it was decided there should be a monthly fee, i will also get 20% of the income so i can concentrate on höyling tt to 34 instead of wasting time graduating and working and shit. it is for the greater good
haha
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
totem
39mins club

Post by totem »

Will EOL replace belma ? in that case i'll stop playing online, you will never see me giving money to bastard like Jappe, even though it's not really to Jappe but to the "mystery-EOL-testing-team-who-decide-everything"

at least give people the belma server so we can still play elma online
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

you know guys, at this point i begin to agree with Igge. totem you know, if few dollars are more valuable for you, than the essence of elma - you arent a real elma fan :( just go to belma, press F5 if you can see others and think, who of those guys really do sth in belma. who seriously plays battles, who makes levels, who cleverly chats a lot, all the rest is useless. and fee will eliminate those useless part of belma community.
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

Lukazz wrote:could kd, kopa or zwor confirm what jappe said? because i just don't believe him.
it is true. we have all agreed to it (except for some (i will not name names)). but j2 made some really good points. and it was decided that the beta testing team (and select others) will get free pass for eol because of our contribution. these passes will be given to future eol modertaors, as we will need to recruit more over time.
if you're really, really against this just apply for mod status when the opportunity comes. else continue to pay the monthly fee.
totem
39mins club

Post by totem »

Pawq wrote:press F5 if you can see others and think, who of those guys really do sth in belma.
I don't care, i'm here to play, not to pay

btw, very nice EOL release advertisment guys :beer:
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

okay jappe had enough fun now, sveinr could trash this topic
KD
Kuski

Post by KD »

This is the first time i hear about this idea. :)

I'm not sure what to say about it. One thing i'm sure, though: Free Trial is a MUST.
Thinking is not entertainment but an obligation! - Strugatsky bros
totem
39mins club

Post by totem »

Oh it was a joke ?

never sure with Jappe if he's joking or not, such a shit sense of humour. Like two days ago when he was discussing in belma chat about kicking Raven out of EPO, didn't know if he was serious or just kidding
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

I'd still pay, even if it was a joke. I guess the only difference would be the word; "payment" -> "donation".
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Yeah, I could easily make a donation even if it wasn't necessary o,o
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Everytime I see "Monthly payment" I read "Monthy Python". Seriously.
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

Ok, to me it doesn´t matter if its 1 cent or 3$ a month (more would just be ridiculous), but it is about PAYING in order to be able to play a somehow simple computer game, that I have been playing for 12 years FOR FREE. I would not pay any money (and therefore stop playing elma online) just because I couldn´t do it morally. Make people buy elma - Okay, but make people pay for eol - Nope. If Mila asks for money for making eol possible I would be happy to give him 1 euro but besides from that I just could not do it.

Sorry, I sign the petition AGAINST a fee for eol.
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

That much was obvious, but thank you for this topic. i get +3 posts from here ^_^
Image Cyberscore! Image
Bismuth
Kuski
Team: <3

Post by Bismuth »

Jappe got us all :)
:mrhat:
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

yes he did, but i still stay at the donations. only one condition: eol has to be released :x
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

I hope EOL comes soon, and please make so you don't have to portforward and things to see others. Would help alot of people :D
ToMaT
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Thorze wrote:I hope EOL comes soon, and please make so you don't have to portforward and things to see others. Would help alot of people :D
It has been done :) It might lag a bit more if you don't though, so still recommended to do.
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

nooooo i dont wanna pey
39:37,91
Troy
Kuski

Post by Troy »

Crap, Jappe, you got me too.
totem
39mins club

Post by totem »

ok my fault; I was just on nerves due to your - bad? - joke
i must admit i'm just not enough "in the scene" to know what people are doing, maybe i should shut up from time to time

i'm impatient to see this new version though - hope i could be op even one day
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Nothing bad though about premium membership; give it a thought guys. It's been done everywhere over the internet.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

yes, it's been done everywhere in the internets, mostly to earn money, not to improve quality of services. thats not what we wont i think
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I do not entirely agree with you, but that doesn't matter.
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

i'm thinking the problem is that 90% of elma players play because it's a ONE-TIME payment, relatively cheap and you get nigh on infinite playtime/levels. simply if you had to pay for belma, you'd get no-one past the first 3 months, firstly most people wouldn't pay, then the amount of people would be minimised, and it's already spread throughout a 24h period of playtime, so at most times you'd be alone in belma. Why would you pay if there was no-one to play with, save for a rare occasion?
Image Cyberscore! Image
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

premium membership comes with privileges. You can still play belma without it, but you'd need to make a fair transaction for stuff like 2h first finish battles.
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

olol. ;D
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

What the fuck? No payments, the reason I play Elma is because it's essentially a free game! If I wanted to pay by the month I'd waste my time on WoW.
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
Ves
Kuski

Post by Ves »

i bet russians will construct round robins in case of monthly payment 8)
Through the externals to the skill.
Through the skill to the internals.
Through the internals to the divinity.