eol release

Feature requests and ideas for the new unofficial versions of Elma and general talk related to those.

Moderator: Moporators

masterBurn
Kuski

Re: eol release

Post by masterBurn »

hey mila,

i wanted to know if vsync would be set to off by default on eol release, thus making one uncapped fps without the need first to fiddle in the graphic driver options, a little like smibu does it in his modification patch.

another idea, maybe less important, but on my mind nonetheless, would be to add black bars to left and right of my widescreen monitor. see, many people (even on widescreens) seem to prefer the original 640x480 to running the game on native resolutions. running it still on native resolution, or at least with black bars, but with the original 640x480 feeling might be nice.
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

masterBurn wrote:many people (even on widescreens) seem to prefer the original 640x480 to running the game on native resolutions. running it still on native resolution, or at least with black bars, but with the original 640x480 feeling might be nice.
WHAT THE FUCK??!?@?@?@!@@
why not use screen's default resolution?? only better quality then, and you might adjust zoom :S and i dont see a point of adding black bars, i can understand low reso (more fps) but thenks to wide screen you just see more!
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Pawq wrote:why not use screen's default resolution??
I don't see any reason to use default screen's resolution.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

best quality then? 1px/1px not 3px/1px :P
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

release fucking EOL and don't discuss about resolutions that won't be changed now anyway.
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

what EOL? D:
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

dunno, maybe next weekend seems fine to release?
edit : what about teh server? now moposite still works but it should not have been already so who knows, maybe enough for teh first "testing release"
[carebox]
Memphis
37mins club

Post by Memphis »

ya definitely not the default screen size. Go with 1024:720 or whatever the next one up is. ya realease it. The server seems good other then u can't see anyone which kind of sucks.
Religious Man
|| TT: 37:47:70 || EX New Wave WR + Animal Farm WR || 24 Canadian Records || TEC Bronze Medal || HHIT in the 37min club || http://elastomaster.tripod.com/
||
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

masterBurn wrote:hey mila,

i wanted to know if vsync would be set to off by default on eol release, thus making one uncapped fps without the need first to fiddle in the graphic driver options, a little like smibu does it in his modification patch.

another idea, maybe less important, but on my mind nonetheless, would be to add black bars to left and right of my widescreen monitor. see, many people (even on widescreens) seem to prefer the original 640x480 to running the game on native resolutions. running it still on native resolution, or at least with black bars, but with the original 640x480 feeling might be nice.

You can select vsync on/off in EOL config. The black bars in right/left side is more a matter of having a monitor that supports that, atleast I know monitors gives you that option.

Pawg: if you don't have centered camera, playing on widescreen can be quite annoying with screen jumping from side to side.
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

so there will be some version released lets say on sunday this week and we will run on moposite at first (no idea how long should that work for)
meanwhile we will test some other server on which kopasite is running atm(?) if it suits our needs
[carebox]
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

where will you have to register our account?
Last edited by Lukazz on 19 Jul 2010, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

we will make it "invite only" at first
that means registration will be public (not sure if elmaonline.moposite.com or what) but one of us (kopaka and me) will have to confirm account first
all the discussions and requests to confirm registration will happen at #battle on ircnet
[carebox]
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

the release time will be around 16:00 english time on sunday
i need to be on the right elma comp for teh first hours
[carebox]
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

thx :)
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Goddamn, that's just about the only day this summer when I'm NOT on the computer. :D
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

current version has exactly 869 537 bytes of my source code (except libraries) so it's kinda impsy to do teh bugfree with only a few ppl testing once a week
that's why it will be invite only, so that if some bug was found, noone will try to crash teh server before it gets fixed after it was identified
simply no retards wanted
[carebox]
Polarix
Kuski

Post by Polarix »

This is great news, finaly it is to happen!
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

wow, i cant believe it, eol is real?! :OO many sick, youre great mila

edit: am i considered as a fucktard?
and
can i (we) pm you/kopa just now to get accs?
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

we need to create new db, but its possible players will be registered before eol is released
[carebox]
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

pls tell us when and whom we can send a PM to register. :) but actually i'd prefer it if everyone can register on the day EOL is released.
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

read some lines above
[carebox]
Memphis
37mins club

Post by Memphis »

wow I am already confused. How many people you going to invite?
Religious Man
|| TT: 37:47:70 || EX New Wave WR + Animal Farm WR || 24 Canadian Records || TEC Bronze Medal || HHIT in the 37min club || http://elastomaster.tripod.com/
||
NoZKeY
Kuski

Post by NoZKeY »

milagros wrote:simply no retards wanted
:( i waned eol
Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Post by Mawane »

LousQ wrote:Goddamn, that's just about the only day this summer when I'm NOT on the computer. :D
as you told me, you gotta eat peanut butter jar, record it and show when EOL is released, whatever beta or not :D
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Mawane wrote:
LousQ wrote:Goddamn, that's just about the only day this summer when I'm NOT on the computer. :D
as you told me, you gotta eat peanut butter jar, record it and show when EOL is released, whatever beta or not :D
I did? Yeah... I did... That's bad. I need to find a very small jar.
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
zaraptor
39mins club

Post by zaraptor »

new EOL required
error
Kuski
Team: 27

Post by error »

nyargh! EOL wanna! :roll: soon?
twitch streams | one-handed | EOL winrate 20.1 %
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

That's exciting news mila! I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for this. It'll be a fantastic elma experience.
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
toothbrush
Kuski

Post by toothbrush »

Mawane wrote:as you told me, you gotta eat peanut butter jar, record it and show when EOL is released.
A.K.B. wrote:That's exciting news! I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for this. It'll be a fantastic experience.
niN
Kuski
Team: HoHo

Post by niN »

Niice :D I will try to get one of these invites on the tuesday. I will be on an island until then.
Team HotHorses, and I'm converting to Icelandian now...
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

niN wrote:I will be on an island until then.
Awesome! Have a nice time. :)
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

as real pros we don't have rights to create new db:)
[carebox]
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

:?
who cane give rights? abu? :D
Bismuth
Kuski
Team: <3

Post by Bismuth »

only berh can now that he fucked with moposite, I bet
:mrhat:
Polarix
Kuski

Post by Polarix »

He fucked with moposite?
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

Nah Abula needs no help fucking up moposite server ;)
Yoni
Beginner kuski

Post by Yoni »

i would like to join, i even downloaded mirc and joined your channel.. but for some reason, jappe2 banned me.. mila there is any other way to register?
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

Yoni (Sanskrit: योनि yoni) is the Sanskrit word for female genitalia
[carebox]
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

what about stats? will the new db be the final db? does the whole stats-stuff work on sunday? will the db be reseted when EOL will have his real release opened for everyone?

so many questions. so excited ;D
Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Post by Mawane »

How about a safe server, I just don't trust host forever on moposite.com I've tried to take in charge the serverbut i dont know much about web&stuff. I learned that it should require Dedicated Server so there are a few things to think about.

Server requirements according to mila:
possibility to run executable applications (can be compiled in both win and linux atm, may depend on the linux distribution) 24/7
mysql with relatively large amount of data (GBs?)
no idea about the traffic as the amount ofdata tranfered will grow quite a lot comparing to belma because all lev files are transfered
some irc server it can connect to, i wasnt able to find one without kline from moposite
ping may be an issue for flagtag balles

and to kopaka:
need to know if get constant ip, ssh console thing, and cane run more or less eternal processes
you need to be able to run the eolserver via teh console and not just open webpages

1. Where?
At someone's home? Which means cheaper, but more possibilities to get in trouble, gotta set everything yourself.
Hosted in specialized place? Safe, services, stable. Location of server shouldn't be a problem.

2. Disk Space
there were 32k levels in 2 years according to zebra's stats text file. average size of a level is 8,12kb. average size of a replay is 42,7kb (according to my lev/rec folders) Maps should be around 5kb each, and shirts 16kb for lets say 500 players. Let's imagine we take 5 years service, then we'll see after. so this means 634mb of levels , 3333mb of replays , 390mb of maps , 8mb of shirts /5 years = a bit less than 5gb taking in consideration that amounts are increasing with time, lets take at least 10gb to be safe

3. Site management
SSH

4. Bandwidth
kopaka told me that Kopasite.net takes about 500mb per month if i remember well, we could guess what would be needed

5. Programming Scripting Tools
PHP
MySQL
dunno

6. Price
based on other points, they will determine minimal price, ofc some comparison will be needed

Let's discuss about what would be minimums, restrictions, etc. I think public opinion should be asked. Suggestions for server could be good idea, with arguments ofc :)
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]
zebra
Kuski
Team: TAP

Post by zebra »

Yes, maybe a dedicated server would be a good option, or a virtual one.
One of the cheapest ones which I found was BreezeHost (United Kingdom), but the service may be very poor.
Other possibilities are:
ultrahosting (USA)
ahosting (United Kingdom)
Fleener Web Hosting (USA)
InMotionHosting (USA)
HostingSource (USA)
DataRealm (USA)
etc.

There seems to be plenty of those in USA but not so many in europe. I don't know anything about those sites, just made a quick search. But I just thought that because most of the players are from europe, the server should be in europe too.

If Kopaka or someone else already has a server (?) then there is no problem.
Anyway, after looking at those pages, I think that moposite is a reasonable choice too even if we had to pay something for it. Usually the more you pay, the more reliable service you get. Though a free server in someone's home is a good idea too but it has to be reliable.
A winner of 4 GAA's (mc2 included), winner of mkup206, and a proud member of team TAP.
Play uni levels: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/uni.html
Homepage: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/elma.html
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

zebra wrote:But I just thought that because most of the players are from europe, the server should be in europe too.
i agree here, better pings probably (or no? :S)
zebra wrote:Usually the more you pay, the more reliable service you get.
i agree here also, and that's why i think that we should pay. there is always a risk that the person hosting the server at his home will... be sometimes temporarily unavailable, so i think that some pro server would be better idea. money needed - ofc, but i think that makes us sure(?) there will be no problems, and i dont think prices at anywhere up to 20e/month would be a problem for our community :)
NoZKeY
Kuski

Post by NoZKeY »

Pawq wrote:i agree here also, and that's why i think that we should pay. there is always a risk that the person hosting the server at his home will... be sometimes temporarily unavailable, so i think that some pro server would be better idea. money needed - ofc, but i think that makes us sure(?) there will be no problems, and i dont think prices at anywhere up to 20e/month would be a problem for our community :)
For more info, visit this topic.
Me has no money D;;;
trew
38mins club

Post by trew »

Looks like Jappe2 banned me from #Battle for no reason. How did he get op rights? 8O
Fucking broken image every month
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

We have one solution we are gonna try out while doing the open beta testing.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

NoZKeY wrote:
Pawq wrote:i agree here also, and that's why i think that we should pay. there is always a risk that the person hosting the server at his home will... be sometimes temporarily unavailable, so i think that some pro server would be better idea. money needed - ofc, but i think that makes us sure(?) there will be no problems, and i dont think prices at anywhere up to 20e/month would be a problem for our community :)
For more info, visit this topic.
Me has no money D;;;
i was reading it, as far as i remember more guys besides me offered their donations so ez :)
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

Lukazz wrote:what about stats? will the new db be the final db? does the whole stats-stuff work on sunday? will the db be reseted when EOL will have his real release opened for everyone?

so many questions. so excited ;D
there will be stats from sunday, and those will be deleted again upon final release, so it's equal for all and eventual bugs are removed.
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

btw if someone hasn't noticed :
[14:12] *** Jappe2 changed the topic to: ELMA ONLINE | Register here: http://elmaonline.moposite.com/ and pm kopaka in mopolauta for playing rights

..and some related discussion:
[14:28] <teh_mila> damez registration email ended up in spam fodler
[14:29] <ali^^> hmm i still havent got mine
[14:29] <ali^^> possible rereg with different email?
[14:30] <teh_mila> check spam folder
[14:30] <Kopaka> if you never get just let me know when doing teh lauta pm and I can confirm it
[carebox]
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

thx, i didn't check IRC, cause i never do. ;D registered now, my mail got to the spam-folder too.
EOL-download link will be posted in IRC and here tomorrow?
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »