Lag Test

Feature requests and ideas for the new unofficial versions of Elma and general talk related to those.

Moderator: Moporators

Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Lag Test

Post by Kopaka »

In order to test if the site is the sole cause of EOL lagging it has been taking down today. So if you play at any time today or tonight please let me know if you notice any sort of lag, be it a disconnect, F5 list not working for while, your chat lines not showing imediately etc.

http://elmaonline.net/
Madness
35mins club

Re: Lag Test

Post by Madness »

All the problems listed above persist. Even got disconnected today much more than usual.
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

Got dc'd twice. Didn't really notice any lag though, even though spied kinda lot.
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

Thanks for feedback (got some in irc, eol aswell).

I didn't notice any sort of lag myself, but there was some disconnections at least and maybe some lag, but I have the feeling the lag was at least less than usually. However I could see the cpu usage drop A LOT on both eol, site and db servers. All were pretty much straight at 0.01 load, while db server for example usually jumps between 0.01 and ~0.50 so that's quite a bit difference.

Conclusion must be that the site have a lot to say regarding lag, but not everything, at least disconnections are because of other reasons.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

i get disconnected almost every two minutes.
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

I got disconnected about that much too, Lag was 999x worse than usual and Kaz missed his 26.14 int07 run.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

Haruhi wrote:I got disconnected about that much too, Lag was 999x worse than usual and Kaz missed his 26.14 int07 run.
we're not talking about yesterday, we're talking about wednesday (18th)
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

I wanted to stop posting to lauta, but I probably have something to say here.. so one more post

On that SOPA-protest day we had the opportunity to test what actually causes the server to disconnect ppl. Every time Markku said on IRC there is a mass-disconnect, the SOPA version of site which did not read the DB was not able to refresh either. That means all those mass-disconnects are caused by the server, not by my program or Kopaka's queries. So to fix this the only way is to buy a better server.

However, I think this is not the only reason people get disconnected. The server prog works the way that it tries to read the data from each socket and possibly send some data if it is required. If anything fails and any error appears (except EWOULDBLOCK for non-blocking sockets) it automatically disconnects the player, similarly if the error appears on the client, he disconnects. There is a quite large number of possible errors and usually they don't say much. However, I found out recently that not all errors are "fatal". In some cases it could be enough to try to send the same message again "next round" without disconnecting. The fix is quite trivial and I'm sure most of the non-mass disconnections would disappear. It is quite easy to do the fix on the server (the code is there), but I don't have the client version that has been published. I've already done several update since there release (long time ago) and it would not work together. I'm not sure atm what I'm going to do about it.
[carebox]