Do we want a new version of Elma?

Feature requests and ideas for the new unofficial versions of Elma and general talk related to those.

Moderator: Moporators

Ropelli
Kuski

Re: Do we want a new version of Elma?

Post by Ropelli »

I guess it's time to tell something about the progress of this project again..

We've been quite busy writing the rendering code, trying to make the elma2 look as same as the original elastomania. We just managed to complete the kuski's rendering code, which includes all the arm animations and kuskis turn animations etc. The rendering code for scenery is roughly halfway done now, and we try to finalize it as soon as possible :p In addition to the rendering code, we have also made some modifications to the menusystem, for example providing resolution changes and windowed/fullscreen mode.

If everything goes well and relatively fast, we maybe could release some very-alpha version of the elma2, mainly for gaining some feedback and suggestions on how to implement the final elma2 version. It's still rather open question how the menu & gameplay should be separated, or how those two should be combined. For example, in eol and belma most of the functionality happens inside the gameplay, and I think that's something elma2 should provide.

And here is the current look of elma2: http://i.imgur.com/pLKkd.png
Note though, the menu "look" is the default CEGUI skin, and it can be easily changed.
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

It starts getting exciting, can't wait for more news!
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

Will it be online-oriented?
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

is that still using the reverse engineered original physics code or did you already 'separate' physics and rendering? and what kind of decisions have you made or will make about the physics updates per second?

good job, im sure this will turn out great
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

8O
pls implement folder-recognising in the level and reclay folder, to make sorting levs/recs easier.
This looks so-darn GOOD! :D
J-sim
39mins club

Post by J-sim »

some more or less obvious things for menus:
the option to browse all replays for a level inside the level's menu. the option to chose replays for top 10 times within a level's top 10.
top 100(00..) instead of top10?

dates for replays.
replay playlists.

some cool ways of sorting replays if somehow possible. by driver, date, level, designer, reclength (more?).

i bet there's a lot of other cool possibilities.

edit: download replays from server.
Thundr-
37mins club

Post by Thundr- »

Chris wrote:Give me a reason to leave vsync as it is now. Why we should still be bond to someones subjective judgment of what is bug bounce and what is not, while we have now unique opportunity to get rid of them?
All this talk about bug bounces... When talking about bug bounces and "relying on px or Abula judgment": this is something has ever in history only been an issue in enigma. Vsync and fps isnt related only to bug bounces though, the majority of it isnt about bounces at all. Its the small things such as zampee int04 wr style at 40 fps, int02 start, int34 start at 100fps, int 31 bangoing at the rooster head both old and new style at 60 fps, and I believe nekit did his amazing int21 wr at 32 fps? When i did my enduro wr i lowered fps down from max to 400-500 because the bike becomes more flexible and the wheel pressure at the end went from a 1/10 trick to a 1/5. etc etc etc.

Its about grip, flexibility, rotation, and yes, bounces too. When playing a 15 min battle almost none of this matters, you wont have time to think about such fps values and issues and therefore really isnt a part of the game at all. For the internalists however you wouldnt be "fixing" anything, you would be "removing" a feature that makes the game more interesting and then render some tricks, shortcuts and times completely impossible to achieve. Internals would die, and the internalists would quit. For me it seems a little bit like going back to Across. Creating a new set of internals would never have the same affect, would not draw the same attention and a decade of hardcore dedicated stylefinding and amazing wrs. Such a notion seems completely astronomical to imagine, because internals are so incredibly legendary that you cant really replace them with anything. I agree with Madness that it would most likely have the same effect as EOL pack/Lost Ints/OLP pack - all which were good attempts of creating something new internal-wise yet barely reached like what 0,001% attention because of read the previous statement I just made. There are millions of levels and levpacks, people just dont play them as much because we have played these 54 levels for 13 years, and just pasting some new levels and declare them "the new internals forever" is never going to work just because you say so. A good example: Its a little bit like changing the original first super mario 1 level, changing the official color of sonic the hedgehog to green or make Disney produce the next star wars movie, you just dont do that and expect the entire world to recognize. Yet again if you never dedicated to play the internals you wouldnt really understand what Im trying to get with this.

Even after saying all this, no matter how you alter the game mechanics, not everyone will like all the changes. Belma and EOL was perfect because it didnt remove anything, it just added things. In my opinion this project is a superb chance to add many many great things to the game that we have always wanted. But be really REALLY careful when considering something such as "removing" a thing that has a huge impact like FPS. No matter if Balazs original idea with Elma wasnt anything like this, or if vsync is "technically" a glitch. You may think this is simply fixing a flaw in the game, but its a tremendous change to the actual GAMEPLAY which is 100% of what elma is, cuz I really dont think anyone plays this game for the great storytelling.

Its not simply changing/fixing "elma" either. There's a huge distinction between internals and battles for example in terms of gameplay. Left alovolt would be a cool feature to have in battles, the biggest complain would be that we just need to get used to having an extra button to click, but fuck me does this add severe ramifications for playing internals? Millions of hours spent to perfect some styles, now there is suddenly a sea of undiscovered styles in probably every single level. The life-span of playing internals may increase another 10 years. Probably a bad example this, but seeing as no one else has mentioned any differences in battles/internals i thought i just might add this final thought. Someone else can probably conjure up some other differences as well.
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Well said, I completely concur with the first three paragraphs. Although adding the left alovolt would have the same effect. It would change everything in Internals so much, that it would feel like completely new levels and some might stick to playing the older version instead.
Thundr-
37mins club

Post by Thundr- »

Madness wrote:Well said, I completely concur with the first three paragraphs. Although adding the left alovolt would have the same effect. It would change everything in Internals so much, that it would feel like completely new levels and some might stick to playing the older version instead.
The last paragraph was simply an example to demonstrate that there are big differences between internals and battles with a change such as left alo. Personally I dont want left alo either for the exact same reasons you said.
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Thundr- wrote:
Madness wrote:
Thundr- wrote:
Chris wrote:Give me a reason to leave vsync as it is now. Why we should still be bond to someones subjective judgment of what is bug bounce and what is not, while we have now unique opportunity to get rid of them?
All this talk about bug bounces... When talking about bug bounces and "relying on px or Abula judgment": this is something has ever in history only been an issue in enigma. Vsync and fps isnt related only to bug bounces though, the majority of it isnt about bounces at all. Its the small things such as zampee int04 wr style at 40 fps, int02 start, int34 start at 100fps, int 31 bangoing at the rooster head both old and new style at 60 fps, and I believe nekit did his amazing int21 wr at 32 fps? When i did my enduro wr i lowered fps down from max to 400-500 because the bike becomes more flexible and the wheel pressure at the end went from a 1/10 trick to a 1/5. etc etc etc.

Its about grip, flexibility, rotation, and yes, bounces too. When playing a 15 min battle almost none of this matters, you wont have time to think about such fps values and issues and therefore really isnt a part of the game at all. For the internalists however you wouldnt be "fixing" anything, you would be "removing" a feature that makes the game more interesting and then render some tricks, shortcuts and times completely impossible to achieve. Internals would die, and the internalists would quit. For me it seems a little bit like going back to Across. Creating a new set of internals would never have the same affect, would not draw the same attention and a decade of hardcore dedicated stylefinding and amazing wrs. Such a notion seems completely astronomical to imagine, because internals are so incredibly legendary that you cant really replace them with anything. I agree with Madness that it would most likely have the same effect as EOL pack/Lost Ints/OLP pack - all which were good attempts of creating something new internal-wise yet barely reached like what 0,001% attention because of read the previous statement I just made. There are millions of levels and levpacks, people just dont play them as much because we have played these 54 levels for 13 years, and just pasting some new levels and declare them "the new internals forever" is never going to work just because you say so. A good example: Its a little bit like changing the original first super mario 1 level, changing the official color of sonic the hedgehog to green or make Disney produce the next star wars movie, you just dont do that and expect the entire world to recognize. Yet again if you never dedicated to play the internals you wouldnt really understand what Im trying to get with this.

Even after saying all this, no matter how you alter the game mechanics, not everyone will like all the changes. Belma and EOL was perfect because it didnt remove anything, it just added things. In my opinion this project is a superb chance to add many many great things to the game that we have always wanted. But be really REALLY careful when considering something such as "removing" a thing that has a huge impact like FPS. No matter if Balazs original idea with Elma wasnt anything like this, or if vsync is "technically" a glitch. You may think this is simply fixing a flaw in the game, but its a tremendous change to the actual GAMEPLAY which is 100% of what elma is, cuz I really dont think anyone plays this game for the great storytelling.

Its not simply changing/fixing "elma" either. There's a huge distinction between internals and battles for example in terms of gameplay. Left alovolt would be a cool feature to have in battles, the biggest complain would be that we just need to get used to having an extra button to click, but fuck me does this add severe ramifications for playing internals? Millions of hours spent to perfect some styles, now there is suddenly a sea of undiscovered styles in probably every single level. The life-span of playing internals may increase another 10 years. Probably a bad example this, but seeing as no one else has mentioned any differences in battles/internals i thought i just might add this final thought. Someone else can probably conjure up some other differences as well.
Well said, I completely concur with the first three paragraphs. Although adding the left alovolt would have the same effect. It would change everything in Internals so much, that it would feel like completely new levels and some might stick to playing the older version instead.
The last paragraph was simply an example to demonstrate that there are big differences between internals and battles with a change such as left alo. Personally I dont want left alo either for the exact same reasons you said.
Please.
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

Madness wrote:
Thundr- wrote:
Madness wrote:
Thundr- wrote:

Please.
I can't hear you over how awesome this quote tree is becoming
39:37,91
Thundr-
37mins club

Post by Thundr- »

Just wait for someone to reply to my with an equally long wall of text + quote, please

pls
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

abruzzi wrote:Will it be online-oriented?
Depends on what that means :) but of course we'll aim for as good online integration as possible.
Zweq wrote:is that still using the reverse engineered original physics code or did you already 'separate' physics and rendering? and what kind of decisions have you made or will make about the physics updates per second?
Physics and rendering were separated at the beginning of the project. We haven't changed anything about the physics code itself, except some very simple refactorings so that it's easier to read. We have a "test" project to make sure we haven't made any mistakes in refactoring the physics code. Basically we just compare some generated replays with "reference" replays that were generated by original Elma.

Right now the only difference between original Elma and this Elma 2 is that the physics timestep is constant. We haven't really made any decisions yet about the timestep, although I have some opinion on it. So these are the options:

1. Make timestep constant, no changing allowed
2. Allow changing timestep from options but not during ride
3. Allow changing timestep during ride too (with some simple toggling between 2 values)
4. Make timestep FPS-dependent (same as in original Elma)
5. Allow user to choose from options whether timestep is FPS-dependent or some desired constant

The last one would be the most flexible option, but I'm not sure if it's necessary. Options 2 and 3 sound best to me. Option 1 is the worst because we lose the compatibility of earlier records (WRs etc).
Tigro wrote:pls implement folder-recognising in the level and reclay folder, to make sorting levs/recs easier
This is actually already done because levels are searched from subdirectories. We'll do it similarly for replays, too.

@J-sim: Yeah, those are good ideas.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

another idea: pls include something like 1v1 flagtag mode. It will be nice imo to see duels in elma chases. When there are 324584316 people in flagtag balle, it just sucks.
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Smibu wrote:2. Allow changing timestep from options but not during ride
Does this mean that it wouldn't be possible to change fps during a ride at all or just that there wouldn't be any toggle mechanism in-game? In the first case the compatibility would not be preserved either, in the second case it would be the same as the 5th option, if I understand correctly...
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

1. Make timestep constant, no changing allowed
Personally I'm mostly into the theoretical limits nowadays and this option would be highly interesting for saveloading purposes and limits seeking. Coupled with bug bounce fix there would no longer be all sorts of randomness that kills the mood for seeking those limits. Also if there will be a fix for bug bounces you already have all old times kinda incompatible. Battles would also be 'standardized' for everyone.

I'm not sure what the timestep should in this case be then, perhaps an equivalent to current 500FPS. I guess this option will never be chosen anyway, but it's still worth a discussion.

I guess this will be chosen. It is not as interesting as the 1st option. You could always go back to current elma for tuning.

3. Allow changing timestep during ride too (with some simple toggling between 2 values)

I gave this a thought some months ago and the conclusion was: gay
BlaZtek
Kuski
Team: CMR

Post by BlaZtek »

EET FUK this is my opionions :lmao:

*I want 60 New Internals from MUE, If new elma, then dont want more of those old ints o,o
*I think Elma 2 will be cool.
*Better graphic is ok, but mind it twice if get new ground and sky types! Those who are in Orginal elma like the yellow , brick and ground is holy ground!!! And
*I think LeeLand is the one to make new shit like graphic, he is pro :)

This looks like a lot of work Smibu, but gogo! :) :beer:
[13:22:24] (ImagebEAT) blaz super pro
[17:06:15] (ImageRamone) ok I suckj. blaz rules
Pingywings
Kuski
Team: singy

Post by Pingywings »

a necessity: make flags in flagtag spyable!

& have greatest amount of apples collected in level similar to shift f5 best times. would be good for really long first finishes like cp080ff and other levs like wat2 so you could see how far people got

a dream: default LGR expanded? like in ekros.lgr
some really nice pictures in that, its a shame you never really get the chance to use them
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

Smibu wrote: 1. Make timestep constant, no changing allowed
4. Make timestep FPS-dependent (same as in original Elma)
5. Allow user to choose from options whether timestep is FPS-dependent or some desired constant
Obviously 4 or 5, no ruining of backwards compatibility pls. 5 + 2 would be perfect for everyone i guess, but i like 5 + 3 more, at least theoretically, it will probably make hoyl more comfortable in many internals, and is not something one cannot do in original elma with a bit of work. Can screens run at any refresh rate (up to some upper bound) by the way, or are there restrictions? If there are none, then toggling between 2 values sounds as a plausible emulation/extension of vsync on / vsync off behavior, otherwise it's more on a TAS side of things, and i've now deleted the 2nd half of my post with reasoning because it was too unreadable.
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

Remove Battle Mode "Flagtag".
ToMaT
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

If you can have 1v1 flagtag then ez do elo ratings)
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Thundr-
37mins club

Post by Thundr- »

Here are some ridiculous funky ideas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg2-WpP8 ... Zg&index=2
BlaZtek
Kuski

Post by BlaZtek »

Object triggers is a cool idea that might would make cool levs!

That spesific appel(s) opens that spesific door(s) :o
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

i was also thinking about option which allows you to rotate kuski by any angle at the start of the level, which means, with 90° angle you will be able to start sticket to vertical wall or so..
those things in thundr-s post video arent bad, but i find them only as good as drunk balle is.
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

Tigro wrote:i was also thinking about option which allows you to rotate kuski by any angle at the start of the level, which means, with 90° angle you will be able to start sticket to vertical wall or so..
those things in thundr-s post video arent bad, but i find them only as good as drunk balle is.
ye i thought that too , should be able to define the starting position of both wheels and head also. Start with some weird stretch.
BlaZtek
Kuski

Post by BlaZtek »

So many ideas by ppl, maybe game will be finished in 3 years xD EET FUK :lmao:
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Tigro wrote:(...) start sticket to vertical wall (...)
Hmm this gave me an idea - would it be possible, within elma or in any other edit0r, to actually stick a wheel, two or all to a surface? If you want to make a smooth start with no backspin it's kinda annoying to zoom in a lot to get the wheels exactly at the surface. Also properties for segments like 'horizontal', 'vertical', 'parallel to' and 'perpendicular to' would be pretty darn amazing for making geometrical levs, kinda like in 3d modelling. opinion, totem?
totem
39mins club

Post by totem »

[quote="Pawq"]would it be possible [...] to actually stick a wheel, two or all to a surface?[/quote]
you mean, all three wheels ?

maybe possible, but frankly this doesn't seem very useful compared to the 5 seconds you waste to do it manually
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

or would it be poss to make a gravity apple, which player wouldn´t be obliged to take? I mean, that he could finish the level without taking it. The point is, to have some gravity changer that you do not have to pick if you do not want to.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

It's really hard to understand what you're trying to say, but let me see if i got this straight:
Pawq wrote:would it be possible, within elma or in any other edit0r, to actually stick a wheel, two or all to a surface?
Are you wondering if it's possible to stick one or both wheels to a surface? Or what do you mean by "two or all"?
Pawq wrote:If you want to make a smooth start with no backspin it's kinda annoying to zoom in a lot to get the wheels exactly at the surface.
You mean a start where you can just drive normally, horizontally, from the beginning and not have the front wheel lift? If so that's extremely easy and doesn't require any zooming whatsoever.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Some sort of general "stick to" feature might be useful, like 3d editors etc. have, so you can easily line up things perfectly, whether that is start or pictures or whatever.
Pingywings
Kuski
Team: singy

Post by Pingywings »

Hosp wrote:Remove Battle Mode "Flagtag".
no please
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

Tigro wrote:or would it be poss to make a gravity apple, which player wouldn´t be obliged to take? I mean, that he could finish the level without taking it. The point is, to have some gravity changer that you do not have to pick if you do not want to.
Would be cool to have optional apples in green color or something that would change gravity or some other effect ;)
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Kopaka wrote:Some sort of general "stick to" feature might be useful, like 3d editors etc. have, so you can easily line up things perfectly, whether that is start or pictures or whatever.
that's what i meant, "or all" was bangoing obviously.
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

Feature Requests:
  • Shortcut to zoom fill the level during gameplay. This way you can plan routes on large levels without viewing in editor. + Shortcut to zoom in and out during gameplay.
  • Shortcut to change between textures and single colour fills (like in the mini map). Can be used in combination with zoom fill to better see the map.
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

Lee wrote:Feature Requests:
  • Shortcut to zoom fill the level during gameplay. This way you can plan routes on large levels without viewing in editor. + Shortcut to zoom in and out during gameplay.
Zooming in-game is already possible. Check player options.
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
BlaZtek
Kuski

Post by BlaZtek »

I just realised this elma 2 will split the scene... will there be no more eol after a possible e2 release?
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

afaik e2 will have online capabilities.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

When I first heard news of Elma 2 I tried vectorising the biker in Illustrator.
This is the progress I made before I forgot about it. It was good practice.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Oh, Leeland, this looks very nice! please finish this! :D
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

Tigro wrote:Oh, Leeland, this looks very nice! please finish this! :D
I second this! Very nice job.
ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Post by ville_j »

I did this too, maybe a year ago, but also I did not finish it and I think it didn't look that good anyways. But very najs!
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

That looks awesome. Please do finish.
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

zebra wrote:Another question is that Lee will make the graphics? There will be 32-bit graphics (I guess) in this new version. So Lee is good at making 2d graphics?
Chris wrote:I also think that standard LGR should be entirely drawn using SVG or something like that to make game more future proof (very high resolutions friendly).
zebra wrote:To get the game high-resolution-friendly, we need that Lee who could create some new graphics for the game.
Okay, I accept.
With retina displays soon to become mainstream, it will make the game look nice at extreme resolutions.
Just so everyone has a clear idea what SVG is (Scalable Vector Graphics), here is an example:

Image Image

Left = Current EOL wheel / Right = Wheel in SVG format (scales without losing quality)
Zoom in on your browser to see

btw this could make lgr creation a bitch for almost everyone =)
jonsykkel
Kuski

Post by jonsykkel »

cool, nice work lee
but im prety sure theres no way that most comps especially laptops will be able to handle drawing these at a fast rate and certainly nat many of these bikes at once, unless you render them to a framebuffer or something first which kind of defeats the purpose. of cours one pasibility is to ad support for both vector and raster lgrs
status:ONLINE - - -  drinking:GOFE - - - iq:85 - - - elasto mania ranking:#1
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

I don't know enough about that. If it can't be done effectively then that's the way the cookie crumbles. PNG format is likely the best to work with.
ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Post by ville_j »

Yesh I guess you would need to create buffer image from svg, but I don't think it completely makes svg useless. Ofc it doesn't work if you zoom for example during a ride, but it could render teh buffer image when changing reso/zoom and this way you could have some sick zoom and it would still look goad. Then ofc there could be a possibilty to export a rec into some 4k reso movie =) But ofc these features would have to be implemented first by somone.
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

imo elma graphics too sharp already. make pixelated
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Ville_J wrote:Yesh I guess you would need to create buffer image from svg, but I don't think it completely makes svg useless. Ofc it doesn't work if you zoom for example during a ride, but it could render teh buffer image when changing reso/zoom and this way you could have some sick zoom and it would still look goad. Then ofc there could be a possibilty to export a rec into some 4k reso movie =) But ofc these features would have to be implemented first by somone.
Buffer image probably best. When you select zoom it rerenders image from svg to still look uber quality. I'm presuming you can't zoom in ride ofc (which would be o,o anyway)
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

Haruhi wrote:
Ville_J wrote:[...]
Buffer image probably best. When you select zoom it rerenders image from svg to still look uber quality. I'm presuming you can't zoom in ride ofc (which would be o,o anyway)
But you can zoom in in-game :)