Ghost mode in Elma

Feature requests and ideas for the new unofficial versions of Elma and general talk related to those.

Moderator: Moporators

Epsilon
Kuski

Ghost mode in Elma

Post by Epsilon »

well,
I think it'll be the most helpful thing that can be added to Elma in a future patch.

To those who doesn't know what ghost mode is, so it simply a mode that you drive any level and behind your bike you'll have another half-invisible bike controlled like a replay that was chosen before.

The question is :
is it possible to create a ghost mode in a future Elma patch, and, of course, will it ruin the idea of doing the hard methods by yourself and not fully copy them from proffesinals?

Anyway, tell me what you think please.

BTW, i took the ghost mode idea from Motocross Madnees 2 and maybe it is used in ither places.
Last edited by Epsilon on 13 Jan 2003, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.
Epsilon | TT : 45:42,82 | Elma Around the World | Smile levpack
MagnusB
Kuski

Post by MagnusB »

http://moposite.com/mopolauta/viewtopic.php?t=363
It's discussed a bit there.

Even though a ghost could be cool, I think Merge Replay is enough.
Abula
Moposite admin
Team: FM

Post by Abula »

I'll make own forum for Elma 2.
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
magicman
Kuski

Post by magicman »

would rock indeed... but would be very style-copy then :]
Team: CF || wc4 pos. 6th || tt: under 42 duno || Metallica... ImageImage
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

it's possible and not very hard
like multiplayer mode where one player already drives
[carebox]
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

Ghostmode would be very cool 8)
petsen
Meetsen

Post by petsen »

I have thought about that too, because in other games like some sort of "race-car-rally-game" ghost mode is available, and it would be nice and helpfull in elma too 8)
Proud Member Of RDK
devin
Kuski

Post by devin »

milagros, if its so easy then do it :P :P :P

well, you dont have to if you dont want to but a lot of players would appreciate it much :lol:
-brag
KD
Kuski

Post by KD »

I don't think it would be a good idea. It would make copy-tech-höylas much more effective i guess.
Thinking is not entertainment but an obligation! - Strugatsky bros
petsen
Meetsen

Post by petsen »

its the same with merging of replays: you see a style, try to do it and merge it with the style replay do see if u do it right, and if u dont u try again, the same with ghost mode, its only easier to do it right the first time...

It would be cool and helpful I think :)
Proud Member Of RDK
KD
Kuski

Post by KD »

I've never thought that kind of using merge replays :) Maybe sometimes i check where was i faster/slower then my other replays, but never using to höyl such a way, coz it is slow and hard. ghost mode would make it easier. But letme change my opinion, now i think it's not such a big problem if ghost mode is in the game, ok.
petsen
Meetsen

Post by petsen »

Well it would help to improve times faster :D

Could also be very useful for u KD 8)

It would also put some pressure on you, if u fx:

have the wr replay of lab pro, and u want to beat it, then u would have to be at the flower before the "ghost" and then u would pressure ur self to do a better drive... u know what I mean ??? :)
Last edited by petsen on 12 Jan 2003, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Member Of RDK
KD
Kuski

Post by KD »

For me? No way. I'm not playing internals anymore. Maybe some exts it would be useful, but not as much i think. You couldn't drive better if you see the other driver i think. It would only confuse you i think. But who knows? Let me try ghost mode, and then i can tell it properly :D
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

i don't think it's a good idea
replay merging was in hib's patch because it was already in nitro and everybody has used it
and it was very easy to do for everybody
[carebox]
GuyB
Donator duck

Post by GuyB »

A while back I played super mario kart.. In it, there was a Ghost mode when you drove time trials ( as far as I remember ) .. I really liked it in that game, as it was really fun, to drive "against yourself"

By placing a version of that in elma people would properly improve their times much faster. It would indeed make it easier to learn new styles..
The value of a new WR/style would greatly improve, as the replay would become even more useful..

the addition of this feature would prob(p)ably ( hehe abula :lol: ) shift the balance of the game a bit, as with the alovolt-button.. and some people wouldn´t like the addition ..
.. .. .. I think I am one of them .. .. .. ..
I can see how it could be useful, and I would proberly use it if it came.. but as it is now, I don´t like the idea.. It changes too much in the game imo

GuyB[rdk]
Last edited by GuyB on 12 Jan 2003, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
Danish elma and across-site. Home of the OLDSCHOOL contest AND Hibernatus´ old ACROSSLEVELS
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

We have discussed this same thing like 10 times but anyway. I don't like the idea.

But it wouldn't matter that much in WR playing because the ghost would only annoy you and when the differences are 0.01-0.2 which means like one wheel. In some long cruising external levels it could be fun. For example Hiki Track in MC levels on Moposite.
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

Well.. I dislike the idea to... but I don´t think a Ghost would be annoying. I have played Super Mario Kart pretty much in the past and played many ghosts (I have my best time on Mario Curciut saved as a ghost, minicheat :wink: ). And it really helps pushing down times to race a ghost.. you see so easy where to push this or that. And... that is not how I wanna play Elma.
Not for now anyway.
Elasto Mania - ez better
Kloque
Kuski

Post by Kloque »

Solution: Use a hotkey or options tu turn it on and off, or just click a button, but also, make it so only the person who made the rec can use it as a ghost.
Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
DYW265
Kuski

Post by DYW265 »

or make it possible to use ghost mode only in externals.
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

I haven't play Mario Cart but I'm pretty sure that it is much different than Elma and in that game the ghost mode may work well. It doesn't mean it would work in Elma (like you said).

DYW265: some cracker would make it working in Internal levels too.
DYW265
Kuski

Post by DYW265 »

hmm, strange way of thinking. it's the same like saying "why realese elma, some crackers would anyway create cheats".

why avoid developtments of new funny features just beacuse someone might crack it?
chux
Kuski

Post by chux »

I think its a great idea! Why are people so against it? If you dont like it, dont use it!
Someone make one!!!
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned.
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

I just mean that you cannot limit it only to external levels. So if we think it would help too much beating WRs or something like that we shouldn't make it. Limiting only to the external levels isn't a good solution.

Did you notice that all WR drivers and veterans are against it and n00bs or semi-n00bs with.
MopoGirl
Kuski

Post by MopoGirl »

Abula wrote:Did you notice that all WR drivers and veterans are against it and n00bs or semi-n00bs with.
sometimes abula is so clever, notices things that absolutely no one alse notices, and are completely not obvious!

of course us n00bs and semi-n00bs want it, we want anything that can help.
now, all the pros and hoylas don't want it, because:
1. they don't need it, they're good already.
2. they don't want n00bs and semi-s00bs to be good all of a sudden. they wanna keep this game hard and sometimes quite annoying.

conclusion: it's just a game. chill.
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

[quote="MopoGirl"][/quote]
Read above and laugh, haha. Good statements.. must be true. You dumb silly little girl. Of course GhostMode would help good players more than newbies. Just look at yourself, you proabaly cant even drive 2 similar drives to warm up... so: How shoul dthe Ghost help you? You think just cause you have a Ghost it is easy to drive similar... well. I wouldn´t be surprised to hear you say you think that. (I mean, after all, I have never heard you say anything that makes sense).

No offence...
You might be a nice person, but when it comes to elma, you know jack!
Elasto Mania - ez better
chux
Kuski

Post by chux »

It would help good players too, but if its gonna cause this much fuss, then just 'low it
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned.
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

and what about spreading saveload?
that would ruin the scene for sure
there won't be any ghost mode if you loke it or don't
[carebox]
Epsilon
Kuski

Post by Epsilon »

So maybe the proffesionals are right...

Anyway, I understand that ghost mode is not a future Elma feature and i think too now that it'll be able to ruin the scene...
Epsilon | TT : 45:42,82 | Elma Around the World | Smile levpack
MopoGirl
Kuski

Post by MopoGirl »

ramone wrote:You dumb silly little girl.
i love you to
then ramone wrote:Just look at yourself, you proabaly cant even drive 2 similar drives to warm up...
well ramone, you're obviously still mad at me for that whole MOX recrods thing. but that's off topic, and also i'm sick of explaining it to you, as i have done so many times, and yet you still don't get it.

also, ramone wrote:I mean, after all, I have never heard you say anything that makes sense.
what the hell are you talking about?
finally, he stupidly wrote:No offence...
of course not, why should i be offended by that?
MagnusB
Kuski

Post by MagnusB »

Off-topic flame wars and such you can do somewhere else.
petsen
Meetsen

Post by petsen »

MopoGirl wrote:
Abula wrote:Did you notice that all WR drivers and veterans are against it and n00bs or semi-n00bs with.
sometimes abula is so clever, notices things that absolutely no one alse notices, and are completely not obvious!

of course us n00bs and semi-n00bs want it, we want anything that can help.
now, all the pros and hoylas don't want it, because:
1. they don't need it, they're good already.
2. they don't want n00bs and semi-s00bs to be good all of a sudden. they wanna keep this game hard and sometimes quite annoying.

conclusion: it's just a game. chill.
what can I say, the one girl in this fucking forum is right :lol:

BUT: I can see why some ppl dont want it in the game because it was not in the original game like alovolt and such, this I can understand...
Proud Member Of RDK
Ky.Jelly
Flood to teh MAX

Post by Ky.Jelly »

MopoGirl the wise wrote:conclusion: it's just a game. chill.
no this is the best part
[10:51:18] <skint0r> i could SACh see KyJelly working at ICA ;D
[10:51:37] <skint0r> "vad kostar denna?" "wtf ch0b0"
Thursday, March 2nd 2005, 0942 i was 3333 [4.43% of total / 3.25 posts per day]
Kloque
Kuski

Post by Kloque »

ok you guys. Say ghost helped me get wr's, well, its gonna help the pros get them also. its not like 1 group only gets the disadvantage, EVERYONE would benifit from it. and if you could only use it on recs you your self drove you couldnt copy others recs. not that you cant anyway even without.. An no matter what, ghost or not, you still have to be able to drive the lev to get a good time, you can watch a rec a million times, and it won't help unless you know how to drive.
Hibernatus
Le pilote

Post by Hibernatus »

I haven't read your posts once again :)
But i'm against the ghost mode.
I could make a version of it pretty quickly (thanks to a thing, yep a THING). But it would be a very bad thing, believe me.
So please forget it.

Merging is enough. Maybe someday i'll add a merger for the replay you can watch from the "Play Again" menu. So that you don't have to save and go to the main menu.
I SAID MAYBE.
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

the THING should be written with bigger letters
omg. i wrote it with same
[carebox]
petsen
Meetsen

Post by petsen »

a Ghost rider in elma would be nice, but not if it was necessary to create elma 2.. some patch with this feature is most welcome..
Proud Member Of RDK