Target times - why?

Look for replays and levels and ask people's times.

Moderator: Moporators

WkE
Kuski

Target times - why?

Post by WkE »

I don't know if this matter has been formerly discussed, so excuse me if it was.

My question is: why does the Target Times list exist?
I mean, it is surely not an accurate indication to your elma skills, and therefore it is pretty pointless. I'll explain.

First of all, it is not accurate at all. One example: an OK time for Hooked is 22,00, for enigma 1:00.00 and for Hang Tight 34.00 (easily driven by any beginner), while it is also 36.00 for Long Haul, 28.50 for Gravity Ride and 03:28.00 for labpro, which may look easy for pros, but requires some good hoyling and clean rides, at least much more than the first examples (HT, enigma etc.).
So yes, the list was set pedantically by a group of professionals, but it still has many inaccuracies, especially concerning the ok-good times. Moreover, with every new wr-table, the list becomes even more inaccurate for the pro-wc times as well.
So I ask you: if such list does not even reflect the truth, what does it worth?

2nd point: with all these stats u/l sites (like this and this), every beginner can easily get far better skills and times estimations by looking at his position among hundreds of other kuskis (I, for example, decide which level to hoyl next by looking at my worst times in these sites). Just so you'll see the difference: in some levels I'm ranked pretty low although I have a "Good" time (which I can easily improve), while in others I'm ranked "Beginner" although it is actually a great time for my TT (a time which I'll not be able to improve anytime soon).

I see here people keeping track of their level-ranks (i.e. "10 WC, 30 pro, 14 good"), but I just don't understand why. As I said, it is not a good indication for your level, while there are other ways to determine it much more precisely - your position in the Records section's TT list, for example. It's not like there is no alternative.

I have great respect to the creators of the list (and for any other initiators who promote the scene), but I still have to question the purpose and quality of this list.

Looking forward to responses.
TT: 43:03.93 | AVG: 47:03.65 | Image | Team Site [TR] || TR Forum | 1 Pro, 27 Good, 26 OK
jaytea
37mins club

Post by jaytea »

i only read the first line, then got bored, but still internals arent that great an indication of skill anway. it's just a measure of how long youve spent playing them, although i agree that the general trend is low tt = more skill. but for example, my tt is awful (44 or something) and i'm EXTREMELY good at elma, so go figure
jonsterion
Kuski

Post by jonsterion »

Why does this topic exist?
Target times help ppl finding how good they are at internals.
belele
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Read this: http://www.moposite.com/mopolauta/viewt ... 8727#58727

Luther explains what the different targets mean.

And btw, there are no accurate indications of one's elma skills. Apparently you think the stats pages provide better indications, fine, then use those. Others who think the target times are better can use them. What's wrong with being able to choose?
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
jaytea
37mins club

Post by jaytea »

yeah, luther plz make another article, if you're still interested in elma ;P