Website/database with replays for low skill styles?

Look for replays and levels and ask people's times.

Moderator: Moporators

Sprocket
Kuski

Website/database with replays for low skill styles?

Post by Sprocket »

I haven't been playing Elma seriously for ages and was never particularly good at it. I barely made it under 45 minutes total when I had a hard disk crash and lost my state.dat and replays back 2004 or so. Since then I have only been playing casually, but lately I've started playing again and decided I want to get below 45 again (47.xx currently).

I have downloaded the world record replays from table 1-50 and they're great, but some of the styles are ancient and I know a lot of them can be improved using alovolt and fairly easy shortcuts etc. To give an idea of my skill level I can do Bowling, Steppes and Freefall shortcuts, have done Lab Pro once (pre hd crash), but still haven't managed Headbanger, Ramp Frenzy or Enigma shortcuts. I suck at brutal volts, so I haven't really used any styles requiring those.

I'm mainly looking for world class replays from the table 50 to alovolt era, but before brutal volts started to dominate. Also easy, but fast styles would be appreciated (sub-50 seconds Enigma for example).

Fairly up-to-date list of my times pre-crash are listed here: http://www.moposite.com/records.php?m=r ... toric=none (search for "Sprocket" to highlight).

Recommendations on which times are easy improvements would also be helpful.

Cheers,
Sprocket
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Re: Website/database with replays for low skill styles?

Post by Kopaka »

Have you had a look at this http://elma.oktobia.org/recsource/ ? (show:all; in search box to see all times)
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

I also recommend http://stats.milleniumlist.info/recs.php
On that site you can also find guys with TotalTime you want to achieve and check their times (or even recs, if they share it). It is quite helpful to know, what times are doable by guys with similar skill/passion for the game.
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
twipley
Kuski

Post by twipley »

Sprocket wrote:I'm mainly looking for world class replays from the table 50 to alovolt era, but before brutal volts started to dominate.
This is my era. :) -- the era I was playing internals in, that is.
Sprocket wrote:To give an idea of my skill level I can do Bowling, Steppes and Freefall shortcuts, have done Lab Pro once (pre hd crash), but still haven't managed Headbanger, Ramp Frenzy or Enigma shortcuts. I suck at brutal volts, so I haven't really used any styles requiring those.
I am finding the person of mine in the skill level of yours.

Lab Pro was really easier than it looked for me. I remember having to watch the whole replay up to that point to see the bounce, although I do not remember having significant problems with it. Nowadays, too, one can create training levels (perhaps another kuski can point the way for it), so it would be easy for you to train starting from the upper downhill area at the left.

Headbanger I only remember doing it once, although dying later in the level. If you're like me good at piping, the only thing that is difficult is the entry, which is not that intuitive on first sight.

Ramp Frenzy the first-seconds shortcut can be easygoing, although I remember having significant problems with it. Once the correct style is found, though, it goes way better.

I do not remember bouncing at enigma, at least not high-enough to attain the flower. Back then, at least when I began playing seriously, I would just jump and hang there, reaching u50.
Sprocket
Kuski

Post by Sprocket »

Awesome links - thanks a lot!

Thanks for the tips twipley. I do know how to make practice levels - very useful for tricky spots in Headbanger, LabPro, ZigZag etc.!

I think I am missing the newest version of Elma - mine doesn't support long replay names. Where can I download the newest version?

Sprocket
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Newest is 1.3 online, be sure to create a user on EOL and play online (that way your times on moposite will automatically be updated etc.)
Sprocket
Kuski

Post by Sprocket »

Thanks for the link to 1.3.

After I copy over my state.dat from 1.2 + use eolconf I get an "Internal Error" when trying to play a level. Any idea what could be wrong?

Using my state.dat without running eolconf works fine. Using eolconf without my state.dat works fine too. :(
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

Did you copy the entire eol zip on your folder or what the heck? It really looks like you are missing bs.dll or something.
Bismuth
Kuski
Team: <3

Post by Bismuth »

if you seek someone terrible, I can send you all my recs (TT 47:2x I think)
:mrhat:
twipley
Kuski

Post by twipley »

Sprocket wrote:After I copy over my state.dat from 1.2 + use eolconf I get an "Internal Error" when trying to play a level.
I was going to say "check whether file has read-protection flag enabled," although by reading further I do not think that could have been the problem anymore.
Ecchi
39mins club

Post by Ecchi »

I RAR'ed all my recs and upped them on zworqy if anyone wants to see, alot of my prs are driven with relatively easy styles. my TT is something like 40.3x

Hope it can be of help:)

http://zworqy.com/up/files/ecchiprs1.rar
http://zworqy.com/up/files/ecchiprs2.rar
http://zworqy.com/up/files/ecchiprs3.rar
RIP enthusiast claim image:(
Sprocket
Kuski

Post by Sprocket »

I have no idea why 1.3 didn't work for me. I tried both Kopaka's version and the official EOL files. Somehow my old state.dat would make the game crash if I changed the resolution to something different than 800x600. In the end I solved it by making the game create a fresh state.dat and merging it with my old state.dat.

Thanks for the replays Ecchi.

Bismuth: sure, the more replays the merrier! My email is dksprocket "a t" gmail "d o t" com (remove spaces, quotes etc.).

Sprocket
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

Nice to see you again Sprocket! Your old gamers.dk replays depository helped me loads when I was still worse than zworqy back in 2003 or so :) Hope to see you on EOL! A faster way to improve internal times is to just play a lot of battles and then go back to internals and suddenly previously hard styles will seem much easier to do. 39 TT is piss easy with new styles nowadays.
39:37,91
twipley
Kuski

Post by twipley »

Xarthok is the new 8ball, by the way -- if you hadn't recognized it. :)
Xarthok wrote:A faster way to improve internal times is to just play a lot of battles and then go back to internals and suddenly previously hard styles will seem much easier to do.
+1 -- couldn't have said it better.