Multi Level Pack - HELP NEEDED!

Advertise your levels, contests, sites etc.

Moderator: Moporators

ArZeNiK
37mins club

Multi Level Pack - HELP NEEDED!

Post by ArZeNiK »

As Elma is gaining activity approaching the Steam release, me, Leek and pawq (mostly) thought of a new concept: what if there were a levelpack, made out of the game's heavily underused multiplayer mechanic?

As such, I would like to encourage all of you Lauta mans with a creative spirit to create a level for this pack! There are no limitations at all, except for the following: the level must only be finishable in multiplayer mode. Of course, you don't have to take uberpro measures to verify this, but if you're unsure in yourself, there are always some more "foolproof" methods to use such as a clearly separative wall between the two sections. I'll post my first level as an example here, so all of you confused people can see what I'm thinking of.

What's the goal? It's simple. We are planning to have a decently-sized level pack created by the time the Steam version officially releases, which is May 25th this year. This, of course, seems pretty hard to achieve, but I believe there are enough people here and on Discord in a levelmaking mood that we can accomplish this. Of course, we can still go on after said date if we don't make it until then, but in that case it might become a larger project and have higher quality requirements.

How can you contribute to this levelpack? Easily. You can submit your levels in various ways, including:

1) DMing the heads of the project the level in question here on Lauta
2) DMing the heads of the project the level in question in Discord
3) DMing the heads of the project the name of the level in question in EOL (if it's public)
4) Posting your level in this Lauta post, if you want not just the heads of the project, but all community members to see it
5) Posting your level in the Discord server's #levelmaking if you want not just the heads of the project, but all community members to see it
6) Posting your levelname in public EOL chat if you want not just the heads of the project, but all community members to see it

CURRENT HEADS OF THE PROJECT: Arzenik, Leek

Will all the levels make it into the pack? Depending on how many levels we will receive, and their average quality, we might filter out some levels at all, sorry for that. Otherwise, we might just tweak them a little bit, but don't worry, the essence won't be taken away.

I hope this post reaches the target audience, and our goal will be reached. Good luck in your levelmaking, everyone!
hi im arzenik :>
elmzuke.lev is the greatest piece of art ever created
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Re: Multi Level Pack - HELP NEEDED!

Post by pawq »

I'll just repeat that I think having a multi-only pack is a fantastic idea, even if it's not pulled off by the Steam release (which I think is not very likely judging from past experience of getting things done around here :> ) Sadly I doubt I'll find the time/motivation for this within the next couple of weeks, but if it doesn't end up being ready by 25 May then I could hopefully contribute a decent enough lev later.

Just to underline: I think it's essential that the levels are not finishable in single player mode. If they are, people will just end up hoyling them as usual and ignoring the multi aspect, and the pack will be like any other. Of course this will require some creativity, but there's always been plenty of that here :)
ArZeNiK
37mins club

Post by ArZeNiK »

https://elmaonline.net/statistics/level/458285
Managed to throw together a quick example level based on my multi-concepts (might or might not be included in the final pack). Notice how there is only one flower reachable by both players, so, besides the obvious "kuski who picks slower route to apple just stays there, while the other one goes for flower" solution, by beginners it could also be interpreted as a race-like situation (which will warm them up for online battles ;P )
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

dont mean to be a partypooper but there are reasons why multi battles never took off and multi wrs never meant much
39:37,91
ArZeNiK
37mins club

Post by ArZeNiK »

8-ball wrote: 15 May 2020, 12:13 dont mean to be a partypooper but there are reasons why multi battles never took off and multi wrs never meant much
can you explain me the reasons? im baby
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

We're all solitary nerds is why :P

Doesn't mean we can't try again though! The only proper multi initiative I can remember in the last few years is the Couples Contest, which had like 5 editions already and been pretty successful imo!
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

It was more popular when you went over to IRL friends to play and sat on one computer, taking turns to play, printing out best times on paper to compare etc., before heavy internet days. Online multiplayer never gonna give same feeling as playing on same computer and talking IRL, and have proper reactions and timing etc.. All my IMO
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

I think a proper interface can change a lot. Currently the invites are confusing and inconvenient (there really needs to be a way to make an invite that can be accepted by anyone) and generally it's a little difficult to tell what's going on or whether you're even in multiplayer mode.
ArZeNiK
37mins club

Post by ArZeNiK »

Can agree with all the above, but keep in mind the pack is created by default for offline elma, since the majority on Steam is probably going to prefer it in favor of EOL/not even look at EOL. Maybe we can bring back the same-PC multiing spirit with this?
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

kuchitsu wrote: 15 May 2020, 19:17it's a little difficult to tell what's going on or whether you're even in multiplayer mode.
:bear: in mind that (M) appears next to your nick in F5 if you're in multi mode :)