Steam release celebratory battle events

Advertise your levels, contests, sites etc.

Moderator: Moporators

SveinR
Moporator

Steam release celebratory battle events

Post by SveinR »

With the forthcoming Steam release less than a week away, it is fair to assume we will probably see several new players in Elma Online as well. To welcome them and to let them enjoy the awesomeness that are battles, I am thinking it would be nice to arrange "beginner friendly" battles during some set times, where we collectively agree to host such battles (for example every weekday between 20-22 or something, from let's say June 1st to June 7th). Very often normal battles are very, very hard for beginners.

By "beginner friendly" I mean levels that a beginner can finish fairly easily, not just once during a 20 min battle but several times so they also can hoyl some styles and get the feeling of improving their time. I don't mean that the levels should be void of hard styles for pros, but that they should be easily finishable for everyone, and probably not too long.

Thoughts? I initially had the idea to host this as a cup but I think separate events are better.
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
iltsu
37mins club
Team: EF

Re: Steam release celebratory battle events

Post by iltsu »

Good idea
ArZeNiK
37mins club

Post by ArZeNiK »

yes
hi im arzenik :>
elmzuke.lev is the greatest piece of art ever created
Schumi
39mins club

Post by Schumi »

good idea, but i would not limit the timeframe, until we have an impression about the real number of newcomers...
Elasto Mania - 34:22.20 | #416 - 12. April 2021
Ancient Internals
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

almost all my levs are very ez already
ToMaT
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Post by roope »

I'm cautiously excited about what the Steam release might bring. I hope there's a lot of new players that want to try EOL, and I hope that the people that do also have no problems with getting it working properly.

I think a surprisingly big part of our current player base has no idea about what's going on in the scene. They just play in EOL and make levs and don't necessarily even know of this huge thing that's happening. There's already been an increase in new players lately (Steam Elma -related or not), and some people have already been telling designers to make a bit easier levs - I hope that continues.

I think it's also a nice challenge for designers to make good but also noob-friendly levs. I'm not sure about limiting it to certain times, since we don't even know where will most of the new players come from. If most of them happen to be American for some reason, then easy battles in European evening will not help.

Overall, I think that just being chill and welcoming is enough (and that includes keeping new players in mind when making levs in the near future) - don't need any special events for that.
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

roope wrote: 20 May 2020, 01:18I think it's also a nice challenge for designers to make good but also noob-friendly levs. I'm not sure about limiting it to certain times, since we don't even know where will most of the new players come from. If most of them happen to be American for some reason, then easy battles in European evening will not help.

Overall, I think that just being chill and welcoming is enough (and that includes keeping new players in mind when making levs in the near future) - don't need any special events for that.
I don't disagree, but I still think it could be nice if there was a certain timeslot where new players could always expect to find suitable battles (over a period of time).
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

This is a good idea. I'll look into contributing some stuff.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96