Welcome the Elasto n00b :P

Advertise your levels, contests, sites etc.

Moderator: Moporators

Speedy
Kuski

Welcome the Elasto n00b :P

Post by Speedy »

Heh, yes, I admit, im 100% n00b :)

Well not really, I have played this game for 2 years in the dark, meaning I never was in a community like this.

I just came here to post 3 of my levels I made, which are quite good, well, my friends think so.

There is a readme in the zip, please read it.

I dont know what else to say other than give em a try!

(21kb) http://home.hccnet.nl/p.kamp/uploads/3tracks.zip
I have seen replays of what alot of you are capable of doing, and I know for a fact you will make it through all of my levels quick and easily. :)

Comments, feedback are highly appreciated.
-Bob
MagnusB
Kuski

Post by MagnusB »

Your levels are very good. I can see that you have level designing skills. You also have a very special style, which is always good for avoiding that your levels get lost in obscurity.

I have some critcism, however. For example you could cut down on the apples. Only place an apple when it's crucial for the level that the driver goes that way. More apples makes a level more linear, and makes it harder to make good styles. You could also use walls instead of killers some places. This is done well in level 3, but not so well in level 1.

- Level 1 is a good level. A bit messy, but good. There might be a bit too much gravity, but that's no biggie.
- Level 2 is close to being what we call a "speedloop". The internal Freefall is an example of that. These levels aren't very popular among more "professional" players, because they are very linear and offer little re-play value. This is one isn't horrible however. It's quite ok to play.
- Level 3 starts with an unnecessary annoying element (the apple to your right, when you're actually going left), but the section after that is interesting. The level becomes a bit more boring towards the end, you might want to make some changes there (like you said yourself).

Always remember to name your levels (Properties in the level editor). It's a good idea to include the number of the level in the name so you know what to call the rec when you get a new best time. Speedy 1 could then for example have the name 'Speedy 1 <name>'.

Overall, your levels are good. Especially considering how little infulence you've had from other level makers. Learn from your mistakes, and study other levels. There are plenty of good level makers out there, just look in Moposite's Links section.
Good luck with your level making, and welcome to the community.
Speedy
Kuski

Post by Speedy »

Hehe, thanks for all the feedback :)

I'm suprised this game is still going lol, been out for what 6 years?

BTW, would you like to help with level 3? From your feedback you sound like a trackmaker also.
-Bob
MagnusB
Kuski

Post by MagnusB »

TEK_Speedy wrote:Hehe, thanks for all the feedback :)
You're welcome. :]
TEK_Speedy wrote:I'm suprised this game is still going lol, been out for what 6 years?
Counting Across, soon 6 years yes. Elma is a bit more than 3 years old, and more popular than ever.
TEK_Speedy wrote:BTW, would you like to help with level 3?
It's a bit hard to help with making levels. It's not that I don't want to help, it's just that it all becomes a bit complicated to discuss. You can try to make something and send it to me, and I'll give you some feedback on it.
TEK_Speedy wrote:From your feedback you sound like a trackmaker also.
I make some levels, but there are plenty of people who are much better at it than me. devin, BarTek, skint0r, ramone, just to mention some examples, but it might be a bit harder to contact them and I have no idea if they want to help you. :D You can of course come to #across at IRCnet.
More information >>
WkE
Kuski

Post by WkE »

great levels. I agree with two of magnus's tips :
put apples only when needed, and try to avoid the apples like the first one in the 3rd lev.

but exept these, your levs cool 8)

EDIT
and another tip.... you're using the pics just great, but it's highly recommended to put the "secret area" sign in secret areas....
TT: 43:03.93 | AVG: 47:03.65 | Image | Team Site [TR] || TR Forum | 1 Pro, 27 Good, 26 OK
Speedy
Kuski

Post by Speedy »

hey, i got 2 replay files for speed002 and 003.

I want you guys to view them, just to see how i go through the tracks, i wont make you, but woudl be nice for you to see how much i suck at the game, yet hwo i can be tricky at some places ;)

on level 3, yeah, the begginign is suprising, im sure none of you took that route. Also on one of the falls i backed up, way to waist a few secs :)

on level 2, i got freakin lucky on the loop at the bottom left of the map, i was pullin a wheelie while i spun it, w00t.

here you go, tell me what you think:
http://www.tuckerj.net/files/Rec.zip

EDIT: o yeah, about the apple to the right on 003, that was supposed to be the start, i had the start somewhere else on the map and i moved it over there, but i moved a apple by accident, so i never really got to delete it yet, lol.
-Bob
WkE
Kuski

Post by WkE »

TEK_Speedy wrote:hey, i got 2 replay files for speed002 and 003.

I want you guys to view them, just to see how i go through the tracks, i wont make you, but woudl be nice for you to see how much i suck at the game, yet hwo i can be tricky at some places ;)

on level 3, yeah, the begginign is suprising, im sure none of you took that route. Also on one of the falls i backed up, way to waist a few secs :)

on level 2, i got freakin lucky on the loop at the bottom left of the map, i was pullin a wheelie while i spun it, w00t.

here you go, tell me what you think:
http://www.tuckerj.net/files/Rec.zip

EDIT: o yeah, about the apple to the right on 003, that was supposed to be the start, i had the start somewhere else on the map and i moved it over there, but i moved a apple by accident, so i never really got to delete it yet, lol.
you can improve your recs easily. i'm total n00b, and oif succeded to reach to the little pipe in 003, you can do it for sure.
http://www.angelfire.lycos.com/un/hoyled/styl0r.rec

d/load all the patches to the game so you could merge the replays and see where can you drive faster (the most delaying part is this little hill... you'll see).

btw, i spent hours of enjoyment trying to stand on the "ME" in 002... you need quite good bounce there :wink:
TT: 43:03.93 | AVG: 47:03.65 | Image | Team Site [TR] || TR Forum | 1 Pro, 27 Good, 26 OK
devin
Kuski

Post by devin »

aaahh another american,,,,good to see...

i will play ur levels now...

MICHIGAN
-brag
WkE
Kuski

Post by WkE »

ugggh i can't do it !!!! the 3rd lev is so angering !!! i need to do the following things perfectly -

1. taking fast the 1st apple
2. passing the killers
3. doing the little pipe without knocking the head
4. passing the hilly area without stucking 10 secs in the same place
5. the end ! the sucky end ! i need to manuver between those spikes and i never succeded !!

anyway, the route you talked about is the route everybody takes... i thought it's suppose to be the main route.... :roll:
Speedy
Kuski

Post by Speedy »

WorstKuskiEver wrote:anyway, the route you talked about is the route everybody takes... i thought it's suppose to be the main route.... :roll:
hmm, I thought most ppl woudl go under the killer area in the beggining, you can still complete the beggining that way.

as for the spikes, go fast as u can down that slope and dont try to manaeuver thru the spikes, just dont toutch anything, and ull get what i had on my replay, the bike does it for you.

also the ME level wasnt complete, at the very end theres an area up above which u can get by bouncing off that wall to the left, i forgot to put a apple up there.
-Bob
Juble
Hat tricker

Post by Juble »

i finshed all the levels they were pretty easy the 3 one it was confusing what route to take when you jump over the killers a drop down the 'hole'
i did'nt realize till the 4 shot that you had to go down the ramp up to the apple.
GuyB
Donator duck

Post by GuyB »

WorstKuskiEver wrote:

btw, i spent hours of enjoyment trying to stand on the "ME" in 002... you need quite good bounce there :wink:
Well, I did it after 5-10 minutes of play
check the replay here

And to Speedy..
I have played through all levels, but mostly enjoyed level 1. As other people said you use a few too many apples and killers ( They limit the creativity of the kuski ) but you definitly show skill. I would love to see a page with more levels made by you 8)

GuyB[rdk][/url]
Danish elma and across-site. Home of the OLDSCHOOL contest AND Hibernatus´ old ACROSSLEVELS
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

I find your levs to be pretty good. I, like many others, like level 1 best, but I also enjoy playing level 3 (although not its very end....I always die. I just watched your replay though, I guess I'll try that next time :) ). Level 2 is too much of a speedloop, I guess you should mostly make levs of your own imagination.

My replays if you're interested: http://www.geocities.com/sveinrunesaxru ... sveinr.zip
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
Speedy
Kuski

Post by Speedy »

Welp, I gotta admit, both of your replays really inspired me to make better levels, infact ill start now... thank you so much for taking your time to play my tracks... I thought when i posted my tracks they woudl be ignored, but you guys rock :)
-Bob
Speedy
Kuski

Post by Speedy »

spent 30 mins on a short track today, its pretty easy, and kinda stupid, but it was a quick 30 min job from my imagination

http://www3.sympatico.ca/jsimon/Speed004.zip (level and record file)
-Bob
WkE
Kuski

Post by WkE »

TEK_Speedy wrote:spent 30 mins on a short track today, its pretty easy, and kinda stupid, but it was a quick 30 min job from my imagination

http://www3.sympatico.ca/jsimon/Speed004.zip (level and record file)
GOOD :
1. polygons location is great.
2. pics from the same style, not a tree and a barrel for example.
3. pretty witty shortcut.

COULD BE BETTER :
1. the air-polygon in the beginning is a good "trap", you don't have to add a killer to make the lev harder, it's just annoying.
2. usually, the main route shall be the easiest, and the shortcut is the harder. in your lev, if you're driving through the main route, you're crashing 99,9% of the time.

that's it, more good than bad 8)
Toaster
Kuski

Post by Toaster »

The link is dead :(