Level Review Topic

Advertise your levels, contests, sites etc.

Moderator: Moporators

RaLo18
Kuski

Post by RaLo18 »

http://www.mxb.dk/upload/Himalaja.lev
This is the first level I made.

You need to have Vertical Elastomania.lgr

My record is 35.44
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Himalaja by RaLo18

Playability : 7.5 / 10

This level offers a variety of styles and a bit of hoylability even if it's not apparant at first, surprisingly I found this a pretty playable lev because usually I don't really enjoy downhills, but this one had a sort of flow to it (apart from the bit at the bottom of the first hill, a bit annoying that.) so pretty good playability for a downhill.

Visuals : 6.9 / 10

Good use of an LGR I must admit, but not much to look at. This is though a very good level for a new player, I must admit, and the beginning is nice, (apart from having the pictures over the ground, that's pretty annoying)

Overall : 6.9 / 10

It's good for a downhill level, but in my opinion it could be a lot better, I admire this a lot though because it's a first release level and you really haven't had substantial criticism to improve your designs.

-A.K.B.[EA]
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
RaLo18
Kuski

Post by RaLo18 »

Thanks.

btw, what is your best time?
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

33:xx :P http://up.k10x.net/bwwtpmdwafzyq/HimalajaAKB.rec

You'll need ballelma to watch this, or if you don't have ballelma, just rename the file so it has less than 8 letters. :) possible 29, you'll see.
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
teh_warggoath
Kuski

Post by teh_warggoath »

http://rapidshare.com/files/31118727/01war.lev

The Pelican by WAR

Danke for the review and please upload .rec also...
Juski
Kuski

Post by Juski »

01war.lev it has about 0 tricks that can be done, very large and empty level. You should try making the levels contain more than just a speedloop and a big drop. I got 35.xx 2nd try.

EDIT: Played the level some more and found the charm that is in every noob level =) it is enjoyable although the quality is still quite poor. did 28:70.
No regrets Image
Are you LOST?
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Oh, never really noticed this thread. A chance for me to get non-elmasite feedback :D

I'm not very good at making long levels that keep the intrest and hoylability up all the way through, but I gave it a try. (FF easy to beat)

http://rapidshare.com/files/31204853/VSK059.lev.html
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
teh_warggoath
Kuski

Post by teh_warggoath »

Juski wrote:01war.lev it has about 0 tricks that can be done, very large and empty level. You should try making the levels contain more than just a speedloop and a big drop. I got 35.xx 2nd try.

EDIT: Played the level some more and found the charm that is in every noob level =) it is enjoyable although the quality is still quite poor. did 28:70.
ummm..I never intendet it to be played that way :D although it is lot faster here it is how I intented it: http://rapidshare.com/files/31245352/01war.rec
note: my real email is warggoath@hotmail.com I had to create that because forums didnt supply me with email...
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

For fuck's sake you cockholes, ever heard of

http://www.mxb.dk
http://up.k10x.net

to upload your damn files, so we don't have to fill in damn codes every time?
Boomer
39mins club
Team: LOS

Post by Boomer »

Friendly as always I see
Team LOS website

<jaytea> uh milk was invented in 1966
-
<teh_mila> bah, fucked up nice labpro ride cause i almost fell of the chair:)
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

If those 4 letters were too much to handle, here's the level again.

http://www.mxb.dk/upload/VSK059.lev
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Anyway I played that level in belma, and I will review it.

VSK059.lev: Meaningless Pride by Igge

The start is wellthought with the killer, there are multiple ways to do that and it intrigues me. Then we have some apples ahead the possibillity to go hang or go over the polygon, both equally fun to play. I didn't went into real hoyl mode for this level, I only had 20 mins while battling it, but except for one minor thing this level had a good flow in it. The minor thing that kinda sucked was the part at the 5th apple, though it might be just the lack of time to find a proper fun style for that.

Playability: 8.0/10

Visually the level seems okay. No ugly tiny verteces to be found in this level. Might be a bit on the boring side though. Not that I care much about that though, overall it looks nice.

Visuals: 6.0/10

Overall: 7.5/10
umiz
Kuski

Post by umiz »

VSK059.lev: Meaningless Pride by Igge

Playability: 7/10
Visuals: 7/10

Fun lev. Easy and good playability.
[i cruise, i lev, i live]
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

tijsjoris wrote: VSK059.lev: Meaningless Pride by Igge

~The minor thing that kinda sucked was the part at the 5th apple, though it might be just the lack of time to find a proper fun style for that.

You do realize that you can stick to the vertical polygon and "sling" yourself to the apple and then do a hang? If you don't see that option, then i guess it must be a really wierd and fucked up part.. :D

-Just making sure.
umiz
Kuski

Post by umiz »

Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Post by Mawane »

Try to finish this level with the best time possible. A beginner time is 4 minutes. Send your replay here.
http://www.mxb.dk/upload/MLP100.lev

Give a mark also for the level. Use playability, fun, difficulty, lenght, tricky, design, etc. factors.

My marks:
Playability: 8/10
Fun: 9/10
Difficulty: between intermediate and hard
Lenght: pretty long level
Design: 10/10
Tricky:7/10
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Igge wrote:You do realize that you can stick to the vertical polygon and "sling" yourself to the apple and then do a hang? If you don't see that option, then i guess it must be a really wierd and fucked up part.. :D

-Just making sure.
Yeah I realised, and I used that, but it wasn't pleasant to do. Kinda annoying even.
umiz
Kuski

Post by umiz »

umi10.lev http://zworqy.com/up/files/umi10.lev

Rate this lev. Or not
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

We need to get this thread going again..

Umiz10 ULMAIBZY

Pretty fun and easy level, good looking (I like the ground texture at every apple idea), and also very hoylable. Kinda obvious style, or it might just be me who's blind. The only bad part was the 3rd apple, I tried to flip up and get it, but it was kinda impsy.. But maybe it's just me who sucks. (You should have made it possible to use a pr0 shortcut there.:P)
The pipe in the end is easy, so that's a good thing. I hate it when there's a hard part in the end on a 1 min+ level. Although I'd like it if you were able to brutal and touch the flower.

Playability: 7/10 (I'd like some more styles possible)
Visuals: 8/10 (Umm.. Good looking)

Just to keep this thread running.

My latest lev. just a short hoyl. Havn't found an über ending, but I'm sure there is one. :wink:

http://www.mxb.dk/upload/VSK064.lev
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Start Nabbing by Umiz

Playability : 9.2 / 10
The level itself is quite simple. It consists in three tricks (more or less) that tests the player's capacity to play casual levels. No pipe, no bounce, no shit. Umiz keeps it basic and clean. This is the kind of level that i would fully appreciate as a battle, it's short, smooth and no hidden style. The flow of the level is just right, you never lose all your kinetic energy and that's one thing i appreciate. There's not much to say as the level's playability is that simple.

Visually : 8.5 / 10
Repeating the word simple for the nth time, the level is not visually stunning but, it's not the kind of level that you would turn the game's video details to low for. There are no annoying pictures or masks that get on your nerves every ride. The grass is made as if umiz mastered a long time ago the art of applying grass polygons to a level. A once again quality level by umiz, nothing surprising.

Overall : 9.0 / 10
A battle type of level that you'll feel like playing over and over again just to improve your time and try to beat mine. Very nice!

Best time : 47.58

- BoneLESS [HHIT]
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

http://download.b.attle.info/Fish0073.lev

This level I made for all you uphill/guru/difficult/applecollect/IQ-test/longness fans. It's been battled as a first finish balle on belma, and in 60 minutes noone finished. jp played only 15 minutes or so and took 33 apples, I got 36 apples.

Now I wonder if any of you can beat this level, the Goliath?
Good luck!
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

could someone review this hoyla lev?
http://up.k10x.net/tgmemxygfnprp/LL08.lev
my personal best: 18,57
RaLo18
Kuski

Post by RaLo18 »

I created another level:
http://up.k10x.net/cvcaopgahguaf/HardRide.lev
What do you think?
Juski
Kuski

Post by Juski »

that levels name should have been ralo01.lev or something and have Hardride in the level title. Second of all it is not a hard ride, it is a long boring speedloop level.
No regrets Image
Are you LOST?
The_BoneLESS
38mins club

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Hard Ride by RaLo18

Playability : 3.9 / 10
That level is really not one of my favorites but, let me explain why before throwing me the first rock. First of all, the level mainly consists of speedloops and gravity. These two only words will make the most fearless players run away, scared to death. Speedloops are rarely enjoyable, unless they are done very wisely and in a non-repeatitve pattern (Xhomaz LOS Cup 2 Event 1, WCup5 SpeedLoop event). One more thing dropping the playability a notch is the excessive gain of speed. The danger with kinda level is that professionnal players, or simply ok ones, will have to slow down to dodge a certain death, which is always annoying. In this level, it was the case at pretty much every turning point. Finally, as i stated before, the use of gravity is more than annoying when used for more than 5 seconds and in this level, it's used for almost half of the level. Every designers learn, or have learnt, that gravity is not something to use, or not much. To say something positive about the level's playability, i like how the bump (at the lowest point of the level) is made. It really slows you down in an effective manner, good designing here. One last thing, the level is a bit too long, levels over a minute and a half are always less enjoyable. Enough said on the playability.

Visually : 5.1 / 10
For the visual part, you clearly know how to place pictures. The hangs are well placed and i have seen no floating objects. First bad thing, i don't recommand putting apples in areas that are so-called secret (hidden, on the left of the start). Usually, secret areas hide something stupid like some stupid sentence you feel like writing, a drawing, a secret area sign or an actual secret but please, no apples! One more thing, the grass is not equal enough, sometimes it's a millimeter wide and some other time a centimeter. Try working on making all the grass equal, more enjoyable for the players.

Overall : 4.1 / 10
It's definitly not a level i would play much because of all the points stated above but, it's clearly not the worst level i've seen from a newcomer. I remember seeing levels designed in a way you couldn't even find the apples nor the exit so, from that point of view, this level really ain't that bad. I'd like to see more from that RaLo boy, clearly some talent left to find in him.

Best time : 2.28.88 (replay some other day)

- BoneLESS [HHIT]
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

The_BoneLESS wrote: levels over a minute and a half are always less enjoyable.
Personally I like apple harvest and lab pro way more than say flat track and slalom and shit like that. Although i like them cause they are very stylish. Long levels that looks the same all the time are nat fanny.

Was just making this lev this morning, and I realized it was not good enough for my new pack, but still I didn't want it to go to waste, so I decided to turn to this thread.
Myself i like the start alot. Got the idea from a certain internal (guess which) But the ending was not one of the best, i didn't orka make it übergood, since I had already decided not to include it it IP pack.

http://up.k10x.net/iymauwulbrcna/review.lev

And juski, don't complain about the name ;/
niN
Kuski
Team: HoHo

Post by niN »

I think you are very wrong there. It totally depend on the designer. I know skint0r made many many cool long levels. And Zebra did too, no to mention jp levs. I'd say the quality depends on the designer, not the lenght ;)
Team HotHorses, and I'm converting to Icelandian now...
The_BoneLESS
38mins club

Post by The_BoneLESS »

niN wrote:
I think you are very wrong there. It totally depend on the designer. I know skint0r made many many cool long levels. And Zebra did too, no to mention jp levs. I'd say the quality depends on the designer, not the lenght ;)
i guess i should've written "are usually less enjoyable". Don't get me wrong, there are good levels over 2 minutes but most of them are annoying and/or boring. I know adventure level and snus level and zebra's huge level are nice, but those are found rarely.
niN
Kuski
Team: HoHo

Post by niN »

Yeah. I guess it's all a matter of taste really. Personally, I enjoy good long levels. I hate mongo, hard, shitlong levs.
Team HotHorses, and I'm converting to Icelandian now...
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

And why not throw in a little review while you're in this thread? :wink:
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Amppe015 by Zweq

Visuality: 4.1/10
It's a battle level, its outlook doesn't matter. It doesn't really look cool or nice or whatever, but it's okay nevertheless.

Playability: 8.5/10
Was cruising this level and it stuck on me. Its design allows you to play two 'routes', but only one is sensible. There might be a sick shortcut in this level, but I doubt it's possible. With the style I use the level's a real höylä, and that shows through my top10 on this level; first time 35,98 and 10th time 36,30. You have to like fly and try action, but when you do, this is fun to höyl, really when you just want to empty your mind for a while.

Overall: 7.9/10
Amazingly good for a battle level. The rest of Zweq's levels suck, by the way.

Best time: 35,98
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

Don't wanna ruin your hoyla fun but
Markku wrote:
Zweq wrote:new challenge is 30.xx in this battle lev http://up.k10x.net/milmevgcpwczr/Amppe015.lev , was max disappointed in battle results 37.xx winning time so I hope at least someone does it decent finally
http://up.k10x.net/uwakhmhqvychu/amppe15M.rec 30.56
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Ah, nice. It only improves the fun I guess. :P
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

hey now you have to come make levels after saying mine sax :P
Mawane
Kuski

Post by Mawane »

I would like that you finish flower #7. I know its possible because I touched it accidentally with bounce when I edited the level. Rate my level too. One more point: Have fun! :wink:
http://www.mxb.dk/upload/MLP001.lev

There is the table for all flowers:
http://www1.freewebs.com/mawane/records.htm
And my replay for flower #6 (one of my best drives ever)
http://www.mxb.dk/upload/MLP00106.rec
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Ok, so Luki asked me to make a hard level, so i made one. 2 hours later here's the result. Tell me what you think (and tell me if it's hard enough) :O

http://up.k10x.net/qodtkoqebuaab/Igge001.lev

and to quote Luki: "omg very very hard"
Juble
Hat tricker

Post by Juble »

hi

http://up.k10x.net/ujclzchhblaks/YouVee.lev

make sure you wear sunglasses 8-).
Mawane
Kuski

Post by Mawane »

Visual: (9/10)
Very nice idea these contrasts with red, green and purple. The idea to make grass polygons is well thought. The lines built with polygons near and these extern polygons make something special in the level but as perfectionnist, I must say that stars are not enough well drawn and lines don't have always same thickness. But nobody cares apart me.

Playablility: (8/10)
Kinda difficult level but fun to play and play again. Shortcuts are well thought but too hard for me. There is many styles to find, that make the best time always ez better.

Overall (9,5/10)
Thanks for sending, enjoyed it!
Last edited by Mawane on 8 Nov 2007, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

Some picture masks are too near ground...
Juble
Hat tricker

Post by Juble »

heh, i wasnt going for the pefect look. i was going for a more sketchy look
FinMan wrote:Some picture masks are too near ground...
looked fine when I went over it, maybe just settings or something.
FinMan
36mins club

Post by FinMan »

Ye, diffeent settings looks differet sometimes.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

youll never beat my (quote palme) eye cancer levels

maybe ill post one? :D
FinMan
36mins club

Post by FinMan »

Post your best ones there, cuz i love ur levels. :wink:
WkE
Kuski

Post by WkE »

Finished my big project - SuperLev

http://zworqy.com/up/files/superlev.lev

Some of you might remember that I already published here one huge level before. Now, in the last 2-3 weeks I modified it, improved it, changed some parts and added new ones. Yesterday I finished the whole thing, and I hope you'll like it.

Please play with High Video Detail.

Some facts about this level: 19 apples, 2 flowers, 2 secret areas, lots of possible styles/routes, about 7 minutes long.
Enjoy ^^
TT: 43:03.93 | AVG: 47:03.65 | Image | Team Site [TR] || TR Forum | 1 Pro, 27 Good, 26 OK
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I will try. But not now. :wink:
The_BoneLESS
38mins club

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Ultra Violet Galaxy by Juble

Playability : 7.5 / 10
First, i'd like to point out that i really like this level. The level has obviously quite many styles and the bag of tricks needed to complete this level in an ok time is quite large. Many styles, some harder than others, an easier route for beginners, harder ones for hardcore hoylas, everything a level needs. But now, let me hit the downside of this violet galaxy. Not necessarly being a turn off, the lack of flow in this level is a bit annoying in my opinion. The aboundance of sharp edges is clearly slowing down the average player's pace, if not stopping the bike completely (or maybe would you say this downside is the result of my lack of skill, you just might be right, but the point remains...). Nevertheless, the playability is quite good and the visual aspect of the level being stunning, the score can't really get under 7, which leads me to my next point...

Visually : 9.5 / 10
As usual, Juble comes up with a very original design, something never seen before (or at least, not exploited as well as in this level). One of the interesting aspects about this level is that even with the big amount of drawings (stars, shuttles, etc.), the level keeps a clean look. I'm sure any other designer (except bartek maybe) would have tried the same project and the level would've looked messed up. Another interesting thing about this level is that gravity is indicated in a very simple manner and the arrows actually complement the level's theme as it blends with the level's mood. There's not much to add here, the level is simple in its chaotic vibe... awesome!

Overall : 8.9 / 10
A very eye-catching level, kinda hard to resist once you've opened the level. Juble, though less present in the elma scene, is keeping up his game and puts it in our face with this ultra violet galaxy level. That's exactly the kinda level that makes me miss the good old LOM contest... rip...

Best time: nothing worth mentionning

- BoneLESS[HHIT]
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

SuperLev by WkE

Visually: 9/10
I like the way this level looks. It's wellbalanced in its use of the pictures, and it makes it feel like you're driving through a park under daily maintenance by a loving gardener. The grass seems to be all handmade to me, not ALE like, but I might be wrong here. In any way the grass looks nice and cozy, with some very minor variations that give it a pleasant touch. I've only seen a 'hang' picture that had 3 pixels of its top outside of the ground, which wasn't really catching my attention if it weren't for the fact that I smashed my head there. The textures are fine, the corridors and loops are of good size, don't look too polished or too rough. I was quite surprised to see this kind of designing by WkE, as I've only seen a dozen or two of levels that look so natural to me as this one.

Playability: 8½/10
The flow of this level is, just like it's outlook, natural. There are some original apple spots that are not hard, look tricky, are somewhat fun to do and add to the replay value of a run on this level. There are some freaky spots though, that make me doubt about this flow. For example there's this sort of loop-thingy which has a killer stacked away in a gap in it, that you have to kinda evade while still trying to make it up through that loop-thingy. Also the fact that this level is kinda huge and a true labyrinth make me feel that it is misfortune to its otherwise stunning greatness. For a replay it might be cool to watch that minimum time/maximum effort, but while playing the level, it is kinda overwhelming. My advise would be to make its style a little more straightforward, so people can immediately start enjoying the level in its true perspective.

Overall: 8¾/10
As said, WkE truly surprised me with this one. I would have given it a much higher rate if it weren't for the amount of work you need to put it in to get a good style.
WkE
Kuski

Post by WkE »

Well thanks tijsjoris

I share your feeling that this level could've been much more fun if it was actually finishable. However, in some spot during the making of this level I just decided that I'll make it enormous and use it for unusual targets (like: 5 apples in shortest time) or just use pieces of it in future levels.

Right now I really focus on this style of visual design (the gardener thing ^^), so I'm glad you like it.
TT: 43:03.93 | AVG: 47:03.65 | Image | Team Site [TR] || TR Forum | 1 Pro, 27 Good, 26 OK
thespearman
Beginner kuski

Post by thespearman »

Hi there!

Just made the first level which I actually put a little effort into making. The visuality sucks, but I hope some of you might find it fun to play. In my opinion it's a bit difficult, but I'm just a newbie :P At least I've completed it, and that took 1:37:10 (a minute, not an hour :P). I'm sure it can be beaten! :D
Anyways, here's a link to the level.

Oh and btw, it's for Elma!

Enjoy! (Or so I hope! :roll:)

-TheSpearMan
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Henrik04 by thespearman

Playability : 4 / 10
OK, basically, there are a few things Pro's don't like in a level - Gravity, Invisible Polygons and Speedloops. you got 2 of them.

you quite clearly made this level for yourself, the average pro would not slow down at the 7-8 second mark to go over that hump, yet if we don't, we have a 1/20 chance of surviving, Great! however, if we slow down to basically a stop, you can get over it safely, and slowly.

the level is full of things like these, where a beginner will likely finish, but a Pro won't... and other than that, the level holds it's own apart from an annoying part at 30-40 seconds.

and then, you've done a great ride, you get to 58 seconds, and the level turns to Shit.

a Kuski much prefers having a second or two to react when they see a polygon coming, if your going at 500 Billion Kajillion miles an hour, you'll see a Polygon, and a millisecond later, it'll be on your eye.

this next part is pretty much impossible, and will almost no matter what seriously piss you off, it's fast, with Killers, and very small chance of Success.

Overall Playability =Crap, no Styles either.

Visually : 6.5 / 10

Although the Texture sucks, you managed to put them right for what you were trying to achieve, there is no real problem with the Visual aspect, except the small polygons that keep you in place at around 7-8 seconds and 45-50 Seconds Respectively.

Overall : 5 / 10

Even with these Crap reviews, it's still fairly good for a New players level, and from 13 -35 seconds, it's simply fine.

well done, focus on eliminating the Invisibility and Speedloops.

Best Time : Not enough Patience to finish it.

- Emy[EF]
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96