Level Review Topic

Advertise your levels, contests, sites etc.

Moderator: Moporators

Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Post by Mawane »

I would like to know more about this lev, dunno who's the designer and driver on the rec must be BoneLESS. I would like more informations. If you know, say me the website for this pack.

http://up.k10x.net/uwttgveshqnej/kq01s2.lev
http://up.k10x.net/tybhyticihhmw/kq1s2Bon.rec
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

well, that's an embarassing replay... :wink:

i know you talked about it on belma few minutes ago but, now i do remembre correctly.
It was the second special event on KonQuest contest by VilleJ and MP.

http://www.grafopoint.com/konquest.php (in the special events, bottom of the page)
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
Scruffy the janitor
Kuski

Post by Scruffy the janitor »

if someone could review this level: http://up.k10x.net/eorhvvazmnnao/Japb1046.lev
Now hold on, Iron Joe...
quvu
Kuski

Post by quvu »

this tread seems to be a little bit dead :(

but here´s a lev for you to rate
http://up.k10x.net/ipxbolkcnrwjc/quvu037.lev

pipe lev made with the "support" pic´s
The_BoneLESS
38mins club

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Balk Error ((:S)) by quvu

Playability : 6.1 / 10
Well, it is a pipe level so, for all of you pipe haters, stay away from this level because you simply have no chance of liking it in any way. For the rest of you, here's a review...

It is a pie and as said previously by quvu, it consists of "support" pics (you know, those horizontal, vertical and oblique red pictures...). This said, you will understand that the pipes are all at a 45° angle, which makes the level still playable. One downside, which depends on what you like in a level, is that there is only one path, and not much tricks you can do to cut off milliseconds. It is a straight-forward pipe level so, don't think you will have fun for more than 10-15 minutes.

Visually : 4.9 / 10
Once again, it consists of "support" pictures so, be prepared to see red. But, at least, most of the pictures are quite well placed and, in a certain way, fit all together.

And one thing i simply had to appreciate, the polygons are plain and even with low details, the level almost looks the same (only color changes from support red to foreground color).

Overall : 5.0 / 10
It would have been an ok battle level but, i wouldn't include it in any level pack whatsoever.

Best time : 17.37

oh, and yeah, i found the secret area!
- BoneLESS[HHIT]
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
niN
Kuski
Team: HoHo

Post by niN »

http://up.k10x.net/zprphqmvlujbb/nin0004.lev
It took me some time to make this because I had to test all the routes, Hopefully you will enjoy it as much as I do. Apprechiates a quite serious review! Like most others!
Team HotHorses, and I'm converting to Icelandian now...
quvu
Kuski

Post by quvu »

bone_less: thx :D

nin: nice lev but to hard for me :cry:
gary
Kuski

Post by gary »

http://up.k10x.net/bchinfgtcawnv/GA031v2.lev

Would someone like to review this? It's an old level of mine with some changes, is it any good?
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

I like it, its a nice lev
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
Mawane
Kuski

Post by Mawane »

my lev is fun, nice visual and playable imo, what about your review:
http://up.k10x.net/rdzttfrejimfh/MLP082.lev
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Mawane, where the fuck am I supposed to go in your level, it is not smooth, it is slow, it is annoying it's a sucking fuck. I'm not going to review it.

But it has nice visuals.
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
Mawane
Kuski

Re: Level Review Topic

Post by Mawane »

Please review this huge pipe level that take about 15 hours to make and about 20 minutes to finish I think: (link under)
ChainPie by Mawane, Pab, Tubby, BarryP, Jappe2 and 8-ball
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

We played it on the belma yes. I liked the effort, seeing the map of a huge level is always fun... but that's about it. The lev was simply not fun to play, pipes were too wide and several non-pipe parts of the level had spots where you could easily die. But the real problem was the length of the level. It was simply not fun to cruise 20 min pipe level. The probability to die was too high, no matter how safe you tried to take it. I can see you tried to ease it a bit by making over-wide pipes, but I think that didn't really work. Only some checkpoints could save a lev like this, but that we will never get (or even want).

For me personally pipe lev has to have _hard pipes_, which this lev didn't have. And then again if I try to think the lev adventure-wise, it failed on that aspect as well, since you're stressed all the time.

Good try though, don't think I've seen such a long chain pipe lev before. Now that everybody is wiser, try making it shorter next time, if such will come.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

A chainlevel SveinR and I made. We each did two 10-second parts, but as you'll see, it's quite hard to tell the parts from eachother. However, it's still a level, hence, it's your obligation to hoyl it to teh max. \o
Attachments
sveigge.lev
Chainlevel by SveinR and Igge. Je0.
(10.94 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

CET
Attachments
snaaab97.lev
(3.3 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

will check these some rainy night. promise.
Staar
Kuski

Post by Staar »

Igge wrote:CET

CET 4 life!
Rock n Roll All Night and party everyday
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

find a van style on cet and ez 25.
The_BoneLESS
38mins club

Post by The_BoneLESS »

will review as soon as i get computer back... (infected by a virus few days ago, hopefully won't lose state.dat)
niN
Kuski
Team: HoHo

Post by niN »

sveigge.lev - Dihydrogen monoxide by igge and SveinR

First impression
I remember testing this when igge first post it in this thread, but I cant remember what I thought of it then. Today I thought I should review this and so I did. My new first impression was this: "hm, I don't like that they have put writings in it". And I don't like it when people put writings in their levels. But then I carried on playing and I thought: "This level looks pretty fun to try, I'll test it closely tomorrow". So there you have the first impression, +/- 0.

Design (68 / 100)
As I mentioned earlier I did not like the writings in this level. I think you could put that in the external name. I know some people think it's nice with writings in it, I'm not one of them however. After that things got better, I liked the thin brick ground part where the two apples are really much. It looks good and surrounds the one apple nice. Apart from some things (the triangled hole in the far left wall, by the apple, the other hole in the ground just before you enter the cave wit hthe apple) I thought this level was very nice. The grass was even to the eye on all parts except from the polygon in the start (which didn't bother me much). To sum it all up I think this level has a really nice design, though some bits I don't really like. I would say it scores: 6.8 / 10 in design.

Playability (87 / 100)
The first impression made me want to play this more, and the final impression left me satisfyed that I did. It was not one of those levels which you hate because you can't seem to get the best style right. It was one of those levels you like because it made you feel pretty good, and it challanged you a little. I tested two styles before I found the one I thought was fastest. So there are styles in this level. The apples were placed on very strategical places, contributing to the playability even more. To say something bad about this, I would say that there were some "uncreative" parts. I mean there aren't that much "oh, that's new to me!" in this level. But a level don't really need to be something extra ordinary for it to be good. This was very fun to play, but it did not make me jump off my chair of excitement. I would give it 8.7 / 10 in playability.

Overall (77.5 / 100)
Yes, this was, as the numer says, a level above the average. Quite far above the average actually. I enjoyed playing it, and I think it would be possible to use in a cup or in a levelpack. Though I think there are to many styles for it to be played during a ten minutes battle.

Comments on replay
I finished this level twice and I'm realtively happy with this time. I fucked up the part after 39 a bit, but I thought it was an acceptable time for this.
time: 1:03:75 (download)

nIN
Team HotHorses, and I'm converting to Icelandian now...
Lardi
Kuski

Post by Lardi »

Hi, this is my first level and also my first post. Been playing elma for some time now but never touched the editor before until some days ago. I am still very unfamiliar with the editor so the level is not nice looking, I just wanted to keep it basic and playable. I don't appreciate speedloops, gravity and so on, and I know many of you doesnt either so I kept it out of my level.

Tried to make the driving style a bit more optional by adding two ways to grab the last apple.
I hope someone can take time to review my level and give me some advices to think about, and point out what was good and bad with the lev.

http://up.k10x.net/ysbzaqlqrtxxh/Lardi001.lev

//Lardi
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Ok, for being your very first level, i must say its pretty good.

The thing i like is how you add the little things - the gap in the hang, the space between the wall and the triangle after the second last apple, the way you have to go very low before the hang - its really nice. I'll attatch my rec, so that you can see what i mean. - unless you already know, then i guess its just a semi-nice rec ;o

I actually found myself playing this level more than just once - something i had never expected when i downloaded the lev (seeing as how this is your first ever lev).

my best time is 26.48 if i remember correctly (actually took some finishes before i got this time). a quite good time i guess, but 25 and even 24 is indeed possible.

but still, it was a nice level, could haev easily been battled for 12 minutes. good job.

(i have never been anyone to rate levels or such with numbers - too many things to concider)

oh, and btw, really nice that you used up.k10x, but you do know that there is an 'internal' file-sharing system now? the one i used to upload my rec.

but most important of all - keep making levels!

oh, did 26.37 now :) replacing the rec.
Attachments
lardi01i.rec
(21.94 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

very nice lev!

when i started teh for the first time my thought was 'what a typical lev'. But after finishing it few times i realized that its quite hoylable and phuny. I did 27.50, i did 27.30, i did 27.10 and i still felt like playing more! (unfortunatelly didnt have more time)
gz, cuz its a really great external

ps. what did u think about while making this lev? i mean what was the main inspiration (if there was one)?
Lardi
Kuski

Post by Lardi »

Igge wrote:Ok, for being your very first level, i must say its pretty good.

The thing i like is how you add the little things - the gap in the hang, the space between the wall and the triangle after the second last apple, the way you have to go very low before the hang - its really nice. I'll attatch my rec, so that you can see what i mean. - unless you already know, then i guess its just a semi-nice rec ;o

I actually found myself playing this level more than just once - something i had never expected when i downloaded the lev (seeing as how this is your first ever lev).

my best time is 26.48 if i remember correctly (actually took some finishes before i got this time). a quite good time i guess, but 25 and even 24 is indeed possible.

but still, it was a nice level, could haev easily been battled for 12 minutes. good job.

(i have never been anyone to rate levels or such with numbers - too many things to concider)

oh, and btw, really nice that you used up.k10x, but you do know that there is an 'internal' file-sharing system now? the one i used to upload my rec.

but most important of all - keep making levels!

oh, did 26.37 now :) replacing the rec.
Thank you for taking time to try it, and ofc, for your comments :D
I have never battled online, just tried some battle levels but I guess it's good if you believe the level could be used for battling.

I didnt go so low before the hang on my testruns as you did, instead I bounced some against the wall and I guess thats why I lost a few seconds on my time. Nice rec btw, I will play the level some more and try to get a better time.

The small things, I thought about some (like space between the walls) but some were unintentional, just turned out to be nice after some testrides. I guess thats good stuff for a levelmaker, planning their levels but without loosing creativity.

Will definately give level making a chance, have some days off now so I will do some more levels and probably post them here.

btw, didnt know about that internal file sharing system, will use it next time :wink:
Lardi
Kuski

Post by Lardi »

Pawq wrote:very nice lev!

when i started teh for the first time my thought was 'what a typical lev'. But after finishing it few times i realized that its quite hoylable and phuny. I did 27.50, i did 27.30, i did 27.10 and i still felt like playing more! (unfortunatelly didnt have more time)
gz, cuz its a really great external

ps. what did u think about while making this lev? i mean what was the main inspiration (if there was one)?
Thank you as well, I'm glad you found it funny and not very boring typical level :).
I was a little afraid it would be too "typical" when I made it.

Hmm, I wasnt thinking much in the beginning. Just played around a little while watching "Idol 2008" on tv hehe, and then i thought maybe i could do something like double trouble (left-right-left and so on u know), that was the start of the lev but then i figured it would get too boring in the end. I have always liked hangs so I did one, worked well and i thought I should add a jump to as an alternative way.
Did any of you guys try it btw? anyway, the end was kinda obvious and that was it :P
I believe i finished most of it in like 30-45 mins, then it just needed some adjustments.
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Heh, first level I made in elma full version editor was also called triangles :D
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

8O 8O 8O
u pr0
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

i tried it, and needless to say i was impressed by the quality of the level, being your first and all. the main reason it was a quality level was really you took time to work out all the polygons and vertices rather than doing the very nub thing of just saying 'i'll click here, and here, then add a bump here so they land and bounce straight up, helplessly losing time'

one of the only problems was the overuse of polygons, if you make for instance, the triangles coming out of the roof, rather than being their own polygon, the level looks smoother, and in certain cases (the ramp bottom-left of the level just under the hang apple) it can help playability as well.

also grass always helps look of the level

i made an example of your level to show you what i mean: (MAKE SURE TO RENAME THE LEVEL BEFORE PUTTING IT IN YOUR LEV FOLDER)
Attachments
lardi001.lev
edited Lardi001.lev
(2.11 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

SmaXa wrote:and in certain cases (the ramp bottom-left of the level just under the hang apple) it can help playability as well.
igge wrote:The thing i like is how you add the little things - the gap in the hang, the space between the wall and the triangle after the second last apple, the way you have to go very low before the hang - its really nice.
poor lardi, mixed messages. oh well, you do what you want - thats the important thing. develop your own style, that's what the scne needs at the moment. dont listen to us nabs. I have like never made a good lev in my life, so dont listen to me and think i am more correct than you.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

yes igge nab you made only one (1!) good level and that one was later edited by me, coincidence or not?
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

tijsjoris wrote:yes igge nab you made only one (1!) good level and that one was later edited by me, coincidence or not?
which one?

fak, ive never played any tj remake of one of my levels
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

goliath ehm? ;P
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

ohraijt

but fak

i remade your remakes

pwnared

and people thanked me fore remaking your reamkekas

tjohopp elefant
Mawane
Kuski

Post by Mawane »

Merry Christmas everybody!
we're already in december and Christmas is coming soon, so I thought to make you a level for the occasion :)
there are many styles and i had the idea to put the energy on the visual design after creating draft of good level

Please review, or simply enjoy! :D
Attachments
MawyXmas.lev
Merry Christmas!
(123.89 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

A new chainlevel by igge and myself, a year after the previous one \o

Whoever is the first under 1 min gets a double kiss ;o
Attachments
sveigge2.lev
svojby, chainlevel by igge and SveinR.
gogo 59 (aka 108)
(6.09 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Post by ville_j »

You thought it was over...
- After horrifying moments inside, some people made it out alive..
..others didn't.

Now, 1,5 years later... it's BACK.

BIGGER than ever.

Can you SURVIVE?

Cube 2 - Hypercube

DOWNLOAD

Lal ok, video would have been great, this wasn't (don't ban me for that xD). Anyways, here are the maps of both cube levels:

http://zworqy.com/up/files/cubecompare.gif

As you can see, there is more to play in Cube 2. And yes, it has gravity because the movie does too :-) Zweq and BoneLESS were crazy enough to finish this lev in 35min battle time. Here is Zweq's winning replay (1,17Mt). Didn't know where else to post this, so here it is. You can review it if you want.
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

Awesome.
ToMaT
Pab
38mins club

Post by Pab »

is this the level i got 49 apples and died at flower? =) was nice
My Youtube Channel Level Stats Maker Battle Notifier!

Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
The_BoneLESS
38mins club

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Cube 2 - Hypercube by Ville J

Playability: 10/10
VJ had been out of the scene for quite some time up until the end of last year and thank God he came back! His intuitive sense for level designing is back with him and still kicking. This time, villej delivers a quite impressively huge level and this one is all about confusion. Even though there is a great flow in the level, there is something troubling about the hypercube. The level is so big that it's hard to tell where you went and where to go; which apple you took and where are the ones left to take. This could have been a major problem if once you would've missed an apple, you couldn't go back but VJ managed to elliminate the problem. How? Well, simply by making a great level! It is possible to go from top to bottom and back up without any problem which makes the level a very playable and pleasant maze.

Design: 9/10
No grass, no pictures, no masks. What were you expecting? It's a maze! The absence of landmarks makes the level that much more confusing. Unless you've played the level a few times, you'll get lost, then lost again but you'll always find your way back where you want to go. The level is constructed in a "framish" manner. The size of the frames is very consistant throughout the level which is always good for the eyes. The second Cube level is very simple yet handsome.

Overall: 9.5
A construction so well-crafted you'll wonder if VJ isn't secretly the owner of a civil engineering degree. The only thing that could be seen as a turn-off is the length of the level that can vary from over 30 minutes for explorers to under 20 for knowledgeable cartographers. Only the most persistant players will finish this level only to feel the rewarding satisfaction of wasting your time on one of the most beautiful creations of mankind. (I might be exagerating here but that level is awesome!)

Time: 17.36.46 (improved my previous battle time by over 10 minutes)
Attachments
vjx3b62.lev
The level: Cube 2 - HyperCube
(39.24 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
Last edited by The_BoneLESS on 18 Jan 2011, 02:47, edited 1 time in total.
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Thank you so much for that nice and in depth review, BoneLESS! Reading it was a pleasure, and made me feel very happy. I am delighted to see that after all these years some people still enjoy playing my levels, and think they are worth the time I've spent on them.

Nice rec and time too, I was almost holding my breath on some places where I thought you could die although I knew you finished it!
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

recently Zero made an impsy-lookin ziggy pie... i thought it was just "impsy" or "z-only", which means very very very hard, pure pain in ass. but after i got 23 apples (winner in balle had 21) and i took a look at the next part... i think its really impossible to finish o.o anyway, i thought id up the lev here, so someone like zweq could try it... i hope you guys will, im really curious of how it could be done after 25th or 26th apple :O

attachment ---->
Attachments
lolpi03Pawq.rec
(16.03 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
lolpi03.lev
(3.22 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
Mawane
Kuski

Post by Mawane »

Starting Halloween pipe level today at 15h00 EDT

I guess should take 2:15 to finish, there are 95 apples and it looks a bit like mawpi448.lev but better.
Pretty fun, playable and nice looking level, don't miss it on eol!

Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Do you really want us to rate the level here, or is this just shameless self-promotion?
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Igge wrote:shameless self-promotion
you said it
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Pls use GMT+/-, ez more understandable. Najs looking lev let's see if I online then when it happen.
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
Mawane
Kuski

Post by Mawane »

Igge wrote:Do you really want us to rate the level here
yes i would like some review plz, by someone who played it at least :)
plz watch with normal lgr, high details
Attachments
Maween_380anp.rec
(116.52 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
Maween.lev
(90.11 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

was quite a decent lev (especially when compared to an average mawpi...), only the end was a bit crappy :(
now my taste about the length of pies: i think a pie (not a typical hoyla) should be around 1min long, which is too short to get boring and too short to get the heartrate up to 1000, OR megaimpsy long like chainpi, which is just impsy to finish (hello adi). such 2-3mins is very bad for my heart, and its not a joke :( today, dunno why, like in the middle of the lev my heart was going like crazy and even my fingers were shaking, wasnt very pleasant feeling :(
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Pawq wrote:was quite a decent lev (especially when compared to an average mawpi...), only the end was a bit crappy :(
now my taste about the length of pies: i think a pie (not a typical hoyla) should be around 1min long, which is too short to get boring and too short to get the heartrate up to 1000, OR megaimpsy long like chainpi, which is just impsy to finish (hello adi). such 2-3mins is very bad for my heart, and its not a joke :( today, dunno why, like in the middle of the lev my heart was going like crazy and even my fingers were shaking, was very pleasant feeling :)
That was an orgasm !
Mrrrr
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Mrrrr »

I was wondering if Jappe or anyone else still has the Pedobear level.

This one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVWTOfafa1Q

I can't seem to be able to send PM :(
RiP Mawane ((
RiP Devin ((
wtf mans?!
Mawane
Kuski

Post by Mawane »

Mrrrr wrote:I was wondering if Jappe or anyone else still has the Pedobear level.

This one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVWTOfafa1Q

I can't seem to be able to send PM :(
Attachments
pedobear.lev
(26.69 KiB) Downloaded 157 times