Level Review Topic

Advertise your levels, contests, sites etc.

Moderator: Moporators

Mrrrr
Kuski
Team: BAP

Re: Level Review Topic

Post by Mrrrr »

Thanks Mawane and also thanks Jappe for the PM. :beer:
RiP Mawane ((
RiP Devin ((
wtf mans?!
Zodiax
Kuski

Post by Zodiax »

Hey people, can somebody tell me where I can upload my level? I really want opinion on it. I worked very hard on that level.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Upload it here. You'll notice there's a box for uploading files right beneath the text box when you make a new post.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Zodiax
Kuski

Post by Zodiax »

Ok, I've added it to this post.
Attachments
Ultimate.lev
(6.69 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

This is my first finish of the level. Time is 4:35:07.

I like the level, i really do, however if you battled it it would be labeled a "noob lev". It doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, but you can tell that it was made by a beginner. 8)

So why is that? First of all, you make many polygons and try to place them close to the big ones to make them appear as one. This causes trouble in some cases, as it makes the level kinda unsmooth. For instance, check 3:07:00 in my rec, or the picture below:

Also, there are many areas which are pretty plain and boring, and all distances are very, very long. In fact, with some small adjustments you could make this entire level 1/4 as big and it would still be playable. Remember, speed and doesn't always mean the level is good, in fact, usually it's quite the opposite. Same goes for big levels.

Anyway, I still like the level, but I'm also one of the few who have a tendency to like "noob levels". But you keep making levels and you will surely improve. Also, with your permission, may I make a level similar to this one but in the way I would make it, and upload it here? Not to say that "This is how you should make level", but to give you some perspective as how you, if you want, could make the level.

Cheers.
Attachments
Ultigge.rec
(225.23 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

i think you should take Igge's advice deep into your heart Zodiax, as he makes absolutely amazing levs :)
Zodiax
Kuski

Post by Zodiax »

Igge wrote:This is my first finish of the level. Time is 4:35:07.

I like the level, i really do, however if you battled it it would be labeled a "noob lev". It doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, but you can tell that it was made by a beginner. 8)

So why is that? First of all, you make many polygons and try to place them close to the big ones to make them appear as one. This causes trouble in some cases, as it makes the level kinda unsmooth. For instance, check 3:07:00 in my rec, or the picture below:

Also, there are many areas which are pretty plain and boring, and all distances are very, very long. In fact, with some small adjustments you could make this entire level 1/4 as big and it would still be playable. Remember, speed and doesn't always mean the level is good, in fact, usually it's quite the opposite. Same goes for big levels.

Anyway, I still like the level, but I'm also one of the few who have a tendency to like "noob levels". But you keep making levels and you will surely improve. Also, with your permission, may I make a level similar to this one but in the way I would make it, and upload it here? Not to say that "This is how you should make level", but to give you some perspective as how you, if you want, could make the level.

Cheers.
Big thanks to you dude, for playing and reviewing my level. I highly appreciate it.

That level was the first serious level I've made(by serious I mean one that you don't finish in a few seconds lol). It took me about a week to complete it, and it was pretty hard for me. Yeah, I'm probably a "noob"... I've finished all of the original levels from 1-54, though.

So, you're saying I shouldn't make so many polygons, because that makes the level annoying or something? Well, I'll try to do that in the future. Anyway, that file you attached is a different version of mine or something? Anyway, I'll go ahead and try it.

Again, thanks a lot dude, I've always wanted to upload that level somewhere for people to review it but couldn't find an appropriate place.
Zodiax
Kuski

Post by Zodiax »

Holy shit... that replay of you playing my level... you're very good.

Makes me quite happy to see somebody playing my level.
Zodiax
Kuski

Post by Zodiax »

also, just noticed... yeah, you have my permission to make a different version of my level or whatever.

sorry for those consecutive posts though, tried to find an edit button but nothing lol.
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Zodiax wrote:(by serious I mean one that you don't finish in a few seconds lol).
Zodiax wrote:I've finished all of the original levels from 1-54, though.
If you keep playing Elma, you'll find that it's not about finishing levels, but about finishing them fast. Long cruise levels are mostly only good for first finish battles (everyone starts at the same time and whoever finishes first, wins). If you had made this level a FF battle (too late now, it mustn't be seen by battlers beforehand) you would have needed to draw arrows on gravity apples and also arrows for directions. Anyway, the vast majority of good levels can be finished quickly. The essence is in höyling, getting towards perfect times.
Zodiax wrote:So, you're saying I shouldn't make so many polygons, because that makes the level annoying or something?
Nah, but it's unnecessary, inconvenient and unsmooth to use polygons in that manner. why not just edit the corner to make a ramp instead of making a new polygon and have the kuski's front wheel bump annoyingly and unpredictably? Spare polygons! Also, killers aren't necessary in those amounts. Sure, a tower of spinning spikeballs might look cooooool dude, but they're just annoying clutter. Don't use more than what's necessary. Also, distances. Speed isn't the key in Elma, but... igge said that already.

We'll be happy to see what you gather from our advise. Do make more levs!
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Zodiax
Kuski

Post by Zodiax »

You guys are experts and I'm a novice, lol. As I said earlier that level took me at least a week to complete, and as you see there are many flaws about it too.

I've noticed a trick I've never seen before when he played my level, which is turning back nd forth all the time when he is about to fall down... whew, never saw that before. I've got a lot to learn I bet.

You should also play my level dude, and give me that rec file like he did. =)
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Zodiax wrote:You guys are experts and I'm a novice, lol. As I said earlier that level took me at least a week to complete, and as you see there are many flaws about it too.
You did want feedback, right? /me points to topic
Zodiax wrote:You should also play my level dude, and give me that rec file like he did. =)
I played, got to the last apple and died kinda creatively. It was maybe 20 seconds slower than igge, so rec is not worth sharing, really. A couple of other players played it too, Markku finished 5 seconds faster than igge.
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Zodiax
Kuski

Post by Zodiax »

Of course I wanted feedback. I'm just saying, if I suck at creating levels as you describe it, I probably shouldn't continue creating levels. ANd it's so hard work for me.

Share it with me, I want to see it. Go ahead, please.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Zodiax wrote:Of course I wanted feedback. I'm just saying, if I suck at creating levels as you describe it, I probably shouldn't continue creating levels. ANd it's so hard work for me.
NO!

Basically, what we are trying to do is to help you cut corners. Making levels in elma is a very slow process, and we have all been where you are at now. My first levels looked exactly like this one, or even worse. Very big polygons, many killers, lots of speed etc. Everyone's first levels did. The trick to getting better is simply to make more levels. Sure, some people will bash them in the beginning, but the more "noob levs" you make now, the better the pro levs you'll make in the future. 8) Everyone started where you are at now. You can only keep getting better.

Also, for instance, look at the internal levels (1-54). You don't see these mega big levels and huge speed parts, at least not in most of the levels. The internals are a great proof that the level doesn't have to be big and speedy to be good, but at the same time I'm not sure that applies to beginners. I know when I made my first levels i was a total noob, so long speedy levs were funnier to me because they were easier to finish than the internals. I guess that's why I kept making them, and why every beginner makes them. So one way to make better levels is to get better at the game. Play internals and externals, and maybe find some part in a level you like to play, then make a level of your own with a similar part. But the most important thing, still, is just to keep making levels and messing around in the editor. Don't listen to us geezers and fucking make levels the way you want them. It kinda makes sense then that the better you get at the game, the more the levels will also appeal to us mongos who wasted spent years on it. 8)
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

i skipped the nab levs phase, you should try it also
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

oh you, dont make me laugh

a ahua huhu
Zodiax
Kuski

Post by Zodiax »

Igge wrote:
Zodiax wrote:Of course I wanted feedback. I'm just saying, if I suck at creating levels as you describe it, I probably shouldn't continue creating levels. ANd it's so hard work for me.
NO!

Basically, what we are trying to do is to help you cut corners. Making levels in elma is a very slow process, and we have all been where you are at now. My first levels looked exactly like this one, or even worse. Very big polygons, many killers, lots of speed etc. Everyone's first levels did. The trick to getting better is simply to make more levels. Sure, some people will bash them in the beginning, but the more "noob levs" you make now, the better the pro levs you'll make in the future. 8) Everyone started where you are at now. You can only keep getting better.

Also, for instance, look at the internal levels (1-54). You don't see these mega big levels and huge speed parts, at least not in most of the levels. The internals are a great proof that the level doesn't have to be big and speedy to be good, but at the same time I'm not sure that applies to beginners. I know when I made my first levels i was a total noob, so long speedy levs were funnier to me because they were easier to finish than the internals. I guess that's why I kept making them, and why every beginner makes them. So one way to make better levels is to get better at the game. Play internals and externals, and maybe find some part in a level you like to play, then make a level of your own with a similar part. But the most important thing, still, is just to keep making levels and messing around in the editor. Don't listen to us geezers and fucking make levels the way you want them. It kinda makes sense then that the better you get at the game, the more the levels will also appeal to us mongos who wasted spent years on it. 8)
Well, dude, I'm not even really into Elasto Mania so much. I created that level a long time ago, and could never find a site or place to upload for people to review, and I just found out about this forum 2 days ago, so thought to upload it. I bet that I can be better at creating levels but I simply don't want to waste time on this. It WOULD take a long time, and by the time I get there I'll get tired of the game. So, actually, I don't want or need to be better at creating levels.

However, there is another level that I've made, if you want to review it. I've attached it if you're interrestd guys, I've made it today.

Just a question, why do you guys still play this game? I mean it's so old and boring.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

You didn't attach it, I bet you simply forgot to press the "dd file" button. Also, this game might be old and boring, but we're addicted. Seriously though, that's like asking someone why they play poker or chess, when there are newer games around..?
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

Zodiax wrote:

Just a question, why do you guys still play this game? I mean it's so old and boring.
Old? why would this matter. I mean it's completely irrelevant how old a game is

Boring? all different combinations of vertices and polygons in external levels guarantees everchanging experience of ultimate refreshion, doesnt sound so boring imo
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Saying "holy shit" after seeing igge's rec and thinking that finishing all internals is a mentionable achievement... I bet you haven't seen any pro playing. Check out "Professional Replays" topic or Elma Done Quick on Youtube. Then consider that even after over 10 years of active playing, those times are still being cut down; they're far from perfection. That should give you an idea about the potential in this game and why we still play it actively.

Oh, and then there's Elma Online. That feeds the addiction. :P
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Zweq wrote: Boring? all different combinations of vertices and polygons in external levels guarantees everchanging experience of ultimate refreshion, doesnt sound so boring imo
akshually, since there is limited space and limits as to how many polygons and vertices one might make, in maybe 100 billion years all possible levels will have been made.
Zodiax
Kuski

Post by Zodiax »

I asked that question about that it's so old and boring because usually people play now stuff like WoW and Starcraft and I told them about this game and they were like "what the hell is this shit"..........

And, sorry, I was just making the level now. I'll attach 2 levels. The First is the one that I've made now and the second is one that I've made in the same time I've made the first one I attached... about 2 months ago or so.
Zodiax
Kuski

Post by Zodiax »

Ooops, I'm sorry, I forgot to put the start position in the beginning, don't download the first one. Here I fixed it.

The first is the one I've made now and the second is the one that I've made about 2 months ago.

Give me a rec file of u playing it and let me know if it's good.
Attachments
dick.lev
(3.95 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
balls.lev
(6.7 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
Zodiax
Kuski

Post by Zodiax »

Wait sorry the second is actually the one I made now, the first is the one I made 2 months ago... sorry, it got messed up.

Sorry don't be mad guys
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

its more like funny :D
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

About dick: Was the third last apple supposed to be so high? Just wondering. My time: 3:02:71
About balls: How come Zelter had the best time in the lev? o,o My time: 29:48

Both times were my first finishes in each lev, so they are easily improvable. Fun levels though. Keep making them and I'll keep playing them.
Attachments
ballsigg.rec
(24.88 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
dickigge.rec
(149.56 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

2nd finish, beat igge by 0.02 :)
ballous.rec
(24.74 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

dick.lev [3.95 KiB]
Downloaded 7 times
balls.lev [6.7 KiB]
Downloaded 10 times

very interesting stats!
Mrrrr
Kuski

Post by Mrrrr »

I would also have a downhill level... if anyone's interested.
It comes in 2 versions... raw and smoothen.
Attachments
downh02.lev
Smooth version
(4.78 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
downh01.lev
Raw version
(3.77 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
RiP Mawane ((
RiP Devin ((
wtf mans?!
Kortsu
Kuski

Post by Kortsu »

Good levels Mrrrr, I really liked both! Raw version was definitely cooler because of the bounce spot in start. Eventhough the levels are downhills, the roof really makes them more like headbanger style.

Here are my recs, feel free to make smoother runs (couldn't finish faster ones myself).
Attachments
downh02Kortsu.rec
(18.02 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
downh01Kortsu.rec
(19.28 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

nice suicidal levs :twisted: tried the first yet, ez improvable
Attachments
downh01c.rec
(15.98 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
Zodiax
Kuski

Post by Zodiax »

Hey guys, glad to hear you liked my levels.

I'll make more today, this is actually pretty enjoyable.
Zodiax
Kuski

Post by Zodiax »

Warning guys before you play: this level is quite hard I think, but let me know if it was hard for you. Also let me know if I got any better in making levels...

And don't forget to attach your rec file...
Attachments
porn.lev
(5.22 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
Mrrrr
Kuski

Post by Mrrrr »

I liked your balls level too Zodiax. It was entertaining. :beer:

Thanks Kortsu and CuLiNo for playing. Glad u liked 'em. Gonna try and do more of these... since I still suck on others :roll:
RiP Mawane ((
RiP Devin ((
wtf mans?!
Zodiax
Kuski

Post by Zodiax »

Mrrrr wrote:I liked your balls level too Zodiax. It was entertaining. :beer:

Thanks Kortsu and CuLiNo for playing. Glad u liked 'em. Gonna try and do more of these... since I still suck on others :roll:
Hahahahaha... I like to call my levels in names like that..... Glad to hear that you liked it. I'm happy that I found out about this forum! :D

Anyway I've made a new one, go get it from my previous post.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

You will never get any flow in your levels if you keep placing apples in annoying spots. If I have to brake and go back evey 10 seconds I will get tired of the level extremely quickly. Instead, put just a coulpe of apples in places you want the player to reach, but on the way there let them be more free, and you will get way better levels and coolers recs. Also, minimize the fucking distances, or make them more interesting. I keep dying because I get too much speed on a looooooong boring fucking place, and then all of a sudden there is a big wall which is impossible to survive. Also, try to stay away from gravity apples. I'm not saying don't use them, I'm just saying there are other ways to make a kuski go upwards, other than gravity, which is really just the easy and boring way out.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Just an experiment: Your level at a much smaller scale, with some apples removed.
Attachments
pornigge.rec
(113.43 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
pornig.lev
(3.02 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
Kazeta
Kuski

Post by Kazeta »

yo zodiax have you ever tryied elastomania balles? since in my opinion the best way to improve your lev making is makin more and more levs, in eol you hav lot of fun making levs and u can get many comments that are very helpfull.
TT: 47:40,88
Zodiax
Kuski

Post by Zodiax »

Igge wrote:You will never get any flow in your levels if you keep placing apples in annoying spots. If I have to brake and go back evey 10 seconds I will get tired of the level extremely quickly. Instead, put just a coulpe of apples in places you want the player to reach, but on the way there let them be more free, and you will get way better levels and coolers recs. Also, minimize the fucking distances, or make them more interesting. I keep dying because I get too much speed on a looooooong boring fucking place, and then all of a sudden there is a big wall which is impossible to survive. Also, try to stay away from gravity apples. I'm not saying don't use them, I'm just saying there are other ways to make a kuski go upwards, other than gravity, which is really just the easy and boring way out.
Since you use the word fucking all the time maybe I should also fucking use it.

My fucking level is actually pretty fucking good. The reason why I put the fucking apples that way is to add experience and difficulty to the fucking level. If you fucking don't like it, then you fucking don't, it doesn't fucking mean the level is that fucking bad as you fucking describe it. Also, show me a level where you never fucking die? Every level is fucking hard in the beginning because you've got to fucking know it first.

:lol:
Zodiax
Kuski

Post by Zodiax »

Kazeta wrote:yo zodiax have you ever tryied elastomania balles? since in my opinion the best way to improve your lev making is makin more and more levs, in eol you hav lot of fun making levs and u can get many comments that are very helpfull.
Some here are helpful, some here are just annoying and ignorant like the last one.

I keep making levels, yeah, and I think I got quite better than the first one I made.
Zodiax
Kuski

Post by Zodiax »

Jeez couldn't you give me a rec file of my original level and not one of your remake?
Ecchi
39mins club

Post by Ecchi »

I have to agree with igge, I'm sorry but that level just feels really pointless to play. It has very annoying "hidden" apples, like the one in the top right corner. then when you finally take the top left apple you have to drive through half the level again! (yes, it wouldent matter if the section was fun, but unfortunately. Its not.) then you have a big bunch of steps you have to take it slow while driving down. Really makes driving slowly what you think is best just to find out you had to jump to some random place with high speed.... My opinion on porn.lev is that its tedious, boring and not hard except the fact you have to do a boring study of level in editor before playing it because of all the bullshit spots that you need to go to.

Again, sorry to say but that level is total utter shit.
RIP enthusiast claim image:(
Zodiax
Kuski

Post by Zodiax »

Ecchi wrote:I have to agree with igge, I'm sorry but that level just feels really pointless to play. It has very annoying "hidden" apples, like the one in the top right corner. then when you finally take the top left apple you have to drive through half the level again! (yes, it wouldent matter if the section was fun, but unfortunately. Its not.) then you have a big bunch of steps you have to take it slow while driving down. Really makes driving slowly what you think is best just to find out you had to jump to some random place with high speed.... My opinion on porn.lev is that its tedious, boring and not hard except the fact you have to do a boring study of level in editor before playing it because of all the bullshit spots that you need to go to.

Again, sorry to say but that level is total utter shit.
Your mom is utter shit... motherfucker!

Am I making levels here just to hear people call it shit and boring? I'm fucking new to this, give me some fucking time. I'm pretty much practicing now than actually make good levels.
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

Zodiax wrote:Your mom is utter shit... motherfucker!

Am I making levels here just to hear people call it shit and boring? I'm fucking new to this, give me some fucking time. I'm pretty much practicing now than actually make good levels.
And what did you expect? That after sharing your levs you win the internet? Many ppl make new levels everyday and you didn't make anything special. Your levels are just average. But that doesn't mean you can't get better. Learn to take criticism. Join ElmaOnLine (EOL) and share your levs there. Ez much more fun.
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
Ecchi
39mins club

Post by Ecchi »

You asked what people thought of it, I gave you my honest answer just like igge did.

I'm not a levelmaker of any kind but I know a good level from a bad one=P

Just try making the levels more smooth and flowing. Thats my contructiveness:P

There is also no reason for you to try and attack me personally because I give an honest opinion when you ask for one.
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Zodiax wrote:Every level is fucking hard in the beginning because you've got to fucking know it first.
That's just not true at all. I already made a post about this but maybe you didn't understand. Elma is not about finishing levels, it's about making fast times. Think about that for a while. Consider that the people who played your levels esced and started over if their first 10 seconds weren't somewhat smoothly driven.
Zodiax wrote:Am I making levels here just to hear people call it shit and boring? I'm fucking new to this, give me some fucking time. I'm pretty much practicing now than actually make good levels.
Again, this is Level Review Topic. We gave you a whole lot of constructive advise, yet you didn't change the way you make levels. That's the equivalent of not reading our advise at all. Now, since you don't accept critique, I'll be even more glad to say that porn.lev is a boiling puddle of diarrhea. Nobody enjoys playing it.
Ecchi
39mins club

Post by Ecchi »

http://zworqy.com/up/files/cocklev.rec

WTF is with that level making my rec over 300kb?!

Here btw, went through one of your excessive useless apples and died in the end, had I known there was such retarded gravity in the end I would had more speed and bounced off wall to avoid the apple. REALLY annoying to find that out after wasting over five minutes driving there. this is my SECOND attempt at this level. the first one I did yesterday but esced after I noticed I had missed top right apple.

The ONLY thing that makes this level even SEEM hard is that it has so much retarded routes you have to take. BIG FUCKING PERIOD
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Zodiax wrote:Jeez couldn't you give me a rec file of my original level and not one of your remake?
I still haven't finished the original, and believe me I have played it for hours. Just like Lousku said before:
Consider that the people who played your levels esced [pressed escape] and started over if their first 10 seconds weren't somewhat smoothly driven.
In a level like porn it's just way too easy to miss one single apple or so, thus making you escape and retry it. It would be fine if there were only one or two apples placed like that, but every single one is, pretty much.
Zodiax
Kuski

Post by Zodiax »

why don't you all make levels and I'll play them this time? since you are so certain that you are pros and I'm a noob without even a trace of potential.
Zodiax
Kuski

Post by Zodiax »

Blud wrote:
Zodiax wrote:Your mom is utter shit... motherfucker!

And what did you expect? That after sharing your levs you win the internet? Many ppl make new levels everyday and you didn't make anything special. Your levels are just average. But that doesn't mean you can't get better. Learn to take criticism. Join ElmaOnLine (EOL) and share your levs there. Ez much more fun.
What is it and how do I join it? And how can I join something if I don't even know what it is? And why do you all hate my level? And why am I asking so many questions?

why why why why why....................