Elmanager

Advertise your levels, contests, sites etc.

Moderator: Moporators

Sunshine
Kuski

Re: Elmanager - Updated 24th April 2016

Post by Sunshine »

i told to skint in irc but for those of you who have that mongo extra mask appear: you have wrong lgr that somehow almost everyone has (and im sure partly from jappe2.net), recently added correct one to jappe2.net zip when saw ramone and someone else discuss it. they said it was kopaka who someone made this wrong one spread like mad but i dont know the origin of that story and kopaka himself said he didnt know about the extra mask and as far as i know the lgr is otherwise identical to the real original so hard to spot. uploaded here also: http://kopasite.net/up/4ze9d8if3km625i/Default.lgr
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

Vermin Supreme wrote:bla bla Default lgr
Who are you again? What's your nick in EOL?
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Vermin Supreme wrote:i told to skint in irc but for those of you who have that mongo extra mask appear: you have wrong lgr that somehow almost everyone has (and im sure partly from jappe2.net), recently added correct one to jappe2.net zip when saw ramone and someone else discuss it. they said it was kopaka who someone made this wrong one spread like mad but i dont know the origin of that story and kopaka himself said he didnt know about the extra mask and as far as i know the lgr is otherwise identical to the real original so hard to spot. uploaded here also: http://kopasite.net/up/4ze9d8if3km625i/Default.lgr
I remember Kopaka posted that LGR here: http://mopolauta.moposite.com/viewtopic ... 88#p228388

It not only has one extra mask, but also all the other masks are 1 pixel higher (Zero noticed this when he was making the Half video), Q1SUSP2 has an extra tiny white line in the middle and Q1SUSP1 and Q1UP_ARM are somehow modified too, although there's no visible difference. :D

The one you posted now is 100% correct. Good job.
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Bjenn wrote:Who are you again? What's your nick in EOL?
I've heard that it's Jappe2. No idea how people figured that out.
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

Ye, no idea either.
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
Sla
36mins club
Team: SpEF

Post by Sla »

Ive been using that "wrong" lgr all this time, made BBLP even and now i see one lev is mongo pic cuz i used s3top brick picture (which isnt on default lgr).

Lol
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

i found some weird bug or something. i managed to make a level that just gets stuck in "loading" when entering a level and causes elma to not respond, i attached the level to this post. everything should be ok topology wise, not over poly/texture/object limit etc. also the level works fine if i remove those few masks that spell "it's a secret" but no idea how they could cause it other than being outside of the "main" polygon that has everything else inside it except that hidden msg made of masks
Attachments
J2BA003a.lev
(64.57 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

This lev worked just fine for me, although I did notice that the secret text is beyond what I can see in f1, which could be related to the problem. The only difference I can think of between our systems are OS, resolution and maybe ddraw if you have that.
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

without ddraw it just straight up crashes for me instantly but if it works for you then dunno what going on, should maybe test with different resos and zooms
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

It seems the lev causes a crash because the textures are outside the bounds of the lev. If you add a small polygon above the text, it will work. Or, if you use some LGR that has no textures, it will work because Elma won't try to render/process them.

Even the internal editor doesn't catch this error. The check is easy to add to SLE. I just need to do some tests to find out the exact limit for the bounds (I think it is lev min/max +/- 6 units).

As for the non-default mask with the texturize function, I can fix it so that it won't throw an exception. And maybe the non-default masks should not be checked by default.

Can someone give me the "faulty" LGR?
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

Drawing a huge grass poly that encloses the actual lev will also cause a crash. I don't know the exact reason behind that, but the offender in both cases is probably the same bug.
danitah
Kuski

Post by danitah »

The DL link on your homepage doesn't work, also auto-update feature only gave me the 08.01.2016 version. Thanks for all the great work Smibu, looking forward to try all the new features etc!
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

Not sure what went wrong with the script that handles downloading... I restarted it and now it works again.

And yeah, I don't update the old site anymore so if you had some version from last year, you'll first get the January 2016 version and then that version will check updates from the new site.
danitah
Kuski

Post by danitah »

Worked, thanks!
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

any possibility to add that background picture function ale has? used it a lot since teh vectrast or whatever sle uses is quite shit at scanning images and making them into polygon
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

I'd rather just find something to replace Vectrast, such as OpenCV which is likely to have better edge detection algorithms. Added to FRs.
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

but doing them by hand should be possible also unless that OpenCV drastically improves on current method, no biggie though since can use ALE for that anyway

one small "bug" fix maybe: check level titles for characters that elma doesnt recognize and give message about that, currently they are replaced with ? ingame, another not so big thing but i dont even know what is allowed and i cant be arsed to test every character
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Is this known? I make http://i.imgur.com/9zYvToH.png but see http://i.imgur.com/Py9Pd6Z.png ingame. All pictures have distance 380.
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

I just discovered a very rare bug I think. Both internal editor and SLE say that there are no problems with this level, but when I load it I get internal error. I assume it is because the back wheel is placed exactly on a line and it can't decide whether it should be above or below the line or something.
Attachments
startbug.zip
(1.15 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Also seems like you can't select multiple polys and convert all of them to grass at the same time (only one converts).
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

Vermin Supreme wrote:one small "bug" fix maybe: check level titles for characters that elma doesnt recognize and give message about that, currently they are replaced with ? ingame, another not so big thing but i dont even know what is allowed and i cant be arsed to test every character
kuchitsu reported that earlier: https://gitlab.com/Smibu/elmanager/issues/52
kuchitsu wrote:Is this known? I make http://i.imgur.com/9zYvToH.png but see http://i.imgur.com/Py9Pd6Z.png ingame. All pictures have distance 380.
Hmm, not sure. I'll have to investigate that.
kuchitsu wrote:I just discovered a very rare bug I think. Both internal editor and SLE say that there are no problems with this level, but when I load it I get internal error. I assume it is because the back wheel is placed exactly on a line and it can't decide whether it should be above or below the line or something.
Oh nice find, maybe I can add a check for that.
kuchitsu wrote:Also seems like you can't select multiple polys and convert all of them to grass at the same time (only one converts).
Thx, adding to buglist too.
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Some feature idea... Often when drawing polygons I want to make a perfectly horizontal/vertical/45degree line because these somehow can be very neat looking. Currently the best way to do that is to use the grid I guess but it's kind of limited. For example, if I start drawing from a vertex that isn't on the grid I can't really do what I want: http://i.imgur.com/ZTTvsX6.png And it's just a hassle having to click on "show grid" and "snap to grid" every time I want to draw a "neat" line.

I think maybe there could be a hotkey for this. Like you can just draw a polygon without using the grid, but when you're holding that key the mouse pointer kind of gets "locked" and only allows you to choose one of the 8 angles to continue (0 degrees, 45 degrees, 90 degrees, etc), kinda like this: http://i.imgur.com/LxlEHqU.png Then levelmakers wouldn't have to spend time on searching for things like this in their levels: http://i.imgur.com/QzQaD0u.png

I would probably use it all the time.
bene
Hot kuski
Team: dat

Post by bene »

Zero complains about the exact same thing all the time. His solution to make perfectly straight line is to use the rectangle tool in ale. Some kind of solution would be greatly appreciated by him I speak for the entire team dat when I say this. It is team dat approved osv.
Also when more shapes and custom shapes so one doesn't have to use ale to make things like a perfect rectangle?
Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Post by roope »

Very good idé, I approve too
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

kuchitsu wrote:Some feature idea... Often when drawing polygons I want to make a perfectly horizontal/vertical/45degree line because these somehow can be very neat looking. Currently the best way to do that is to use the grid I guess but it's kind of limited. For example, if I start drawing from a vertex that isn't on the grid I can't really do what I want: http://i.imgur.com/ZTTvsX6.png And it's just a hassle having to click on "show grid" and "snap to grid" every time I want to draw a "neat" line.

I think maybe there could be a hotkey for this. Like you can just draw a polygon without using the grid, but when you're holding that key the mouse pointer kind of gets "locked" and only allows you to choose one of the 8 angles to continue (0 degrees, 45 degrees, 90 degrees, etc), kinda like this: http://i.imgur.com/LxlEHqU.png Then levelmakers wouldn't have to spend time on searching for things like this in their levels: http://i.imgur.com/QzQaD0u.png
Yeah, I see the problem. A solution to the grid problem could be that there is a hotkey to "synchronize" the grid with the last placed vertex when creating vertex. Optionally this could be automatic. It doesn't solve the whole problem, so as you said some locking option is needed. Your idea is fine but I'd make it more general (choose the number of angles, minimum being 3, maybe possible to rotate the angles as well).
bene wrote:Zero complains about the exact same thing all the time. His solution to make perfectly straight line is to use the rectangle tool in ale. Some kind of solution would be greatly appreciated by him I speak for the entire team dat when I say this. It is team dat approved osv.
SLE can also create rectangles but the functionality is probably a bit too hidden (hold left shift when creating vertex). I will add a hint to the vertex tool help text at least.
bene wrote:Also when more shapes and custom shapes so one doesn't have to use ale to make things like a perfect rectangle?
No deadlines available, but at least no need for ALE to make rectangles.

The best workaround for custom shapes is:
Smibu wrote:
skint0r wrote:while you could maybe do something by importing lev and pics, would be coal to be able to store some shapes/polygon templates and select from some menu or tool whatever. like you make some arrows for gravity, nick logo or whatever shape and save it so you can reuse whenever.
Been suggested too and I think it is on the FR list, but you can emulate this feature quite well by creating a template.lev where you put all the reusable polygons you might think of, and set that level to be the template for new levels in SLE settings.
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

:D I didn't know about the rectangle thing, seems pretty nifty!
dawid
Kuski

Post by dawid »

1. threshold in Draw tool depends on zoom :( imo there should be a possibility to activate/deactivate zoom influence in this tool.
2. Adding vertices to the existing poly works only with Vertex tool. it should works with Draw as well.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Am I missing something..? You can always tell when a line is along 0, 45, 90, 135, 180 degrees etc by the way the line looks? If it's neat and without furry edges it's aligned, otherwise it will get fuzzy and ugly?

You can see here B and D are smooth and sexy while A and C look shriveled and disgusting
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Igge wrote:Am I missing something..? You can always tell when a line is along 0, 45, 90, 135, 180 degrees etc by the way the line looks? If it's neat and without furry edges it's aligned, otherwise it will get fuzzy and ugly?

You can see here B and D are smooth and sexy while A and C look shriveled and disgusting
The problem is that it's never accurate, it's just an approximation. This means that on different zoom often you get a lot lines with an ugly step. Just snapping to angles seems like a no brainer.
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
dawid
Kuski

Post by dawid »

Ruben wrote:
Igge wrote:Am I missing something..? You can always tell when a line is along 0, 45, 90, 135, 180 degrees etc by the way the line looks? If it's neat and without furry edges it's aligned, otherwise it will get fuzzy and ugly?

The problem is that it's never accurate, it's just an approximation. This means that on different zoom often you get a lot lines with an ugly step. Just snapping to angles seems like a no brainer.
The best solution is to add hotkey (e.g. Shift). When drawing polygon, hold Shift to force last line of poligon to be locked to angle (0,45,90...). Similar function to the MS Paint pen :)
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Yes, you can see the neatness with the naked eye, but it takes some careful mouse moving to achieve it. Especially if you want to make a rectangle smooth by moving one of its vertices, it can be tricky to achieve both horizontal and vertical smoothness at the same time (I usually end up moving the vertex on both axes). With a hotkey it would be trivial.
dawid wrote:Similar function to the MS Paint pen :)
Holy crap. You changed my life.
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

dawid wrote:1. threshold in Draw tool depends on zoom :( imo there should be a possibility to activate/deactivate zoom influence in this tool.
2. Adding vertices to the existing poly works only with Vertex tool. it should works with Draw as well.
Added the first as a FR.

The second one was also suggested by ville_j during FEM. Added this too so I won't forget.
dawid
Kuski

Post by dawid »

why it always gets (0,0) pixel to set picture transparency in LGR? https://gitlab.com/Smibu/elmanager/blob ... LGR.cs#L70
sunl
Kuski

Post by sunl »

That is how elma does transperancy. If you check you'll notice that all pictures/masks in lgrs' topleft pixel is a transperent pixel.

Although maybe this can be changed in elma2? Not sure best way to make compatible with old elma

In any case easy fix is add 1 row of transperent pixels. Only annoying for masks because has to be multiple of 2
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

In LGR the position of the transparency pixel is defined in a field (4 possible values, each of which means one of the four corners). It is basically always topleft, which is why the code has worked so far. And I guess I didn't know about this detail when I wrote LGR.cs.
Sla
36mins club

Post by Sla »

Is there an option to fill with textures inside polygons? Sometimes i want to do this and i have to put more than 100 little sky "masklitt" Example:

If no, im suggesting this for next versions (8

Awesome editor, thanks Smibu!
dawid
Kuski

Post by dawid »

Smibu wrote:In LGR the position of the transparency pixel is defined in a field (4 possible values, each of which means one of the four corners).
5ft value is none/no transparency as far as i know. Is there any info about LGR file structure? I analyzed it from ALE and Elmanager sources but I don't know few things about structure.
dawid
Kuski

Post by dawid »

Sla wrote:Is there an option to fill with textures inside polygons? Sometimes i want to do this and i have to put more than 100 little sky "masklitt" Example:

If no, im suggesting this for next versions (8

Awesome editor, thanks Smibu!
There is such option. It is quite new so update ur Elmanager.
Select polygon->Click Selection from menu bar->Texturize. The window will show, set Sky in clipping property.
Sla
36mins club

Post by Sla »

Oh, true. I was using that function but always with "ground", me nab.
Thanks!
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Has anyone already complained about how every time you change the texture of a mask it also changes distance and clipping to the default values? It makes me mad lol.

edit: found a bug? If I just edit the apple animation number, seems like SLE doesn't consider it a change and Ctrl+S doesn't resave the level.
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

Almost every time I start SLE computer totally freezes for about 1 minute (not even music plays, but continues from where it left off once sle starts)
Dunno why but seems SLE requires too much ram or something, this happens less frequently when I have almost no programs running but still happens, dunno what do, update some software?
ToMaT
dawid
Kuski

Post by dawid »

Hosp wrote:Almost every time I start SLE computer totally freezes for about 1 minute (not even music plays, but continues from where it left off once sle starts)
Dunno why but seems SLE requires too much ram or something, this happens less frequently when I have almost no programs running but still happens, dunno what do, update some software?
What Windows version? Maybe it reads many recs from disc to database.
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

kuchitsu wrote:Has anyone already complained about how every time you change the texture of a mask it also changes distance and clipping to the default values? It makes me mad lol.
Not sure, but I could fix that by not changing them. I see it can be annoying. The default values are not really useful for anything.
kuchitsu wrote:edit: found a bug? If I just edit the apple animation number, seems like SLE doesn't consider it a change and Ctrl+S doesn't resave the level.
Yeah, good find, I'll fix it.
Hosp wrote:Almost every time I start SLE computer totally freezes for about 1 minute (not even music plays, but continues from where it left off once sle starts)
Has it always been like this? It reads the level file names from disk at startup, so that might explain something. It shouldn't require much RAM, though.
dawid wrote:Is there any info about LGR file structure? I analyzed it from ALE and Elmanager sources but I don't know few things about structure.
I have only this.
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

I've had an issue for quite some time when if I open the level manager component of Elmanager, it opens and everything is fine, but if I try to open SLE (which I love and would love to be able to use), the application freezes for a few seconds and then quits. I tried redownloading and overwriting all files some time ago but didn't help :( Any advice?
Smibu
Kuski

Re: Elmanager - Updated 13th October 2016

Post by Smibu »

Minor update:

* SLE: Title box warns if title contains non-Elma-printable characters.
* SLE: Added "Textures out of bounds" topology check.
* SLE: Added "Wheel exactly on a line" topology check.
* SLE: Clipping and distance are no longer changed when changing picture/texture image.
* SLE: Added support for opening LEB files.
* SLE: Bugfix: Changing apple animation number didn't cause level to be modified.
* SLE: Bugfix: Crash would happen when level folder was moved.
* SLE: Bugfix: It was not possible to convert multiple ground polygons to grass.
Pawq wrote:I've had an issue for quite some time when if I open the level manager component of Elmanager, it opens and everything is fine, but if I try to open SLE (which I love and would love to be able to use), the application freezes for a few seconds and then quits. I tried redownloading and overwriting all files some time ago but didn't help :( Any advice?
Strange :( one possible thing that might fix it: Try checking the "Disable framebuffer usage" in configuration.
Pab
38mins club

Post by Pab »

Downloaded last version. Can change default clipping property for pictures? It shows Unclipped now when im going to put a picture, at least the first time after opening the editor. I really expect a tree or a bush to have Sky clipping when i select it, coz that is the most reasonable thing and also im highly used to it. Maybe textures are another story, but didnt like this new thing on pics. Also Unclipped is not common at all.

edit: just readed the posts a bit more :>
kuchitsu wrote:Has anyone already complained about how every time you change the texture of a mask it also changes distance and clipping to the default values? It makes me mad lol.
No, no one ever complained of that. I admit that the distance changing is kinda lame when you select textures. But for pictures, plz smibu let me keep the original settings of elma editor :> current settings is a pain in the ass, also unclipped makes no sense as default, would have to 99.99% of the times change the clipping before placing a picture (at least the first time), which is something that didnt happend before.
My Youtube Channel Level Stats Maker Battle Notifier!

Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

Pab wrote:No, no one ever complained of that. I admit that the distance changing is kinda lame when you select textures. But for pictures, plz smibu let me keep the original settings of elma editor :> current settings is a pain in the ass, also unclipped makes no sense as default, would have to 99.99% of the times change the clipping before placing a picture (at least the first time), which is something that didnt happend before.
Yeah, I was afraid that the fix wasn't perfect. So let's think about the possible solutions:

* Distance and clipping are changed only when creating a new picture or texture AND the user has not yet manually edited clipping and distance boxes. When editing an existing picture or texture, they wouldn't ever change.
* Distance and clipping are never changed and the default value for clipping is sky instead of unclipped.
* There is a separate button for setting the default values (something like "Set distance and clipping to defaults").
* Something else?

It would be nice if more people gave opinions about this so we won't need a third fix :)
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Seems like this is a little more complicated than I thought.

I know that when I'm changing the texture of an already existing mask, I pretty much always want the clipping property and the distance to remain. It makes no sense to suddengly change the clipping from ground to sky just because I chose a different kind of stone.

But when I'm placing a new texture or a picture, having the default values (that come from the internal editor I assume?) is definitely very convenient as most of them make a lot of sense and are useful. Maybe it would also be nice if you could set your own default values (some "make it default" checkbox when placing a picture?).

I almost never have to change the type of an existing picture (like selecting an existing bush and changing it to a barrel or something), so I probably don't really have an opinion on that.

So far I like the first of your options best.
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

The new version in a fresh folder works just fine :) Thanks a lot!
sunl
Kuski

Post by sunl »

I would vote a setting because when "casually" placing pictures it's convenient to have defaults, whereas if you are doing something precise then it's more convenient to sometimes not have the properties change in between. Since you have the code for both now, it would probably suffice to just add a setting & use an if clause type of thing