Elmanager

Advertise your levels, contests, sites etc.

Moderator: Moporators

Smibu
Kuski

Re: Elmanager - Updated 28th May 2017

Post by Smibu »

Next version beta.

Last year I wrote this:
Smibu wrote:Alright, I improved the handling of default values in picture tool based on your suggestions and common sense. The logic goes like this:

* Change distance and clipping to default values automatically when creating a new picture.
* Change distance and clipping to default values automatically after clicking "D" button.
* No longer change distance or clipping after touching either of them manually.
* Do not change distance or clipping when editing an existing picture.
I think the first (emphasized) bullet is not a good idea, as Ramone explained - if you place a picture, adjust its position with Select tool and then come back to Picture tool to create new ones, it's too surprising that the values have changed.

So I made two changes to Picture tool:

* Picture tool remembers the last selected picture (including the selected clipping/distance).
* You can choose from settings in which case the distance and clipping should be set to defaults:
(a) always when changing picture/texture, except after they've been touched after the tool window was opened.
(b) only when changing picture/texture after opening the picture tool for the first time or after clicking "D".

Other changes:

* Added support for high DPI monitors.
* SLE: Inactive grass edges are now shown dashed.
* SLE: Bugfix: Crash if LGR had no images.
* SLE: Bugfix: Too many pictures were excluded from the list of available pictures.

iCS, dani, Schumi: I wrote those down.
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Re: Elmanager - Updated 28th May 2017

Post by Hosp »

Nice ty always thought was strange that it was reset to default in pic settings :p
ToMaT
Smibu
Kuski

Re: Elmanager - Updated 5 January 2018

Post by Smibu »

Ok nice, no bug reports from the beta version, so I pushed the update.

Pab: You might need to revert the DPI workaround thing.
danitah
Kuski

Post by danitah »

Could there be a way to force text rendering even if there are rendering errors? I'm trying to import a lot of symbols at once and random ones are getting topology errors (one example: https://emojipedia.org/ram/ , doesn't work with default text, works with bold). It's quite much work to figure out which characters are not getting rendered, and if there would be a way to force rendering it might not be a lot of work to fix. If it's not possible, would it be possible to turn unrenderable characters into 'n/a' or an empty box or something?
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

Yeah, I think some option to allow topology errors in text is simple to add.
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

i downloaded the newest version and program stops working when the main window gets opened. older version i had (2011) opens normally. any way to solve?
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
(Devann) u are the master of your own universe. remember that
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

Try ticking that box: Image

If it doesn't work, try deleting all Elmanager*.dat files.
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

oke, the problem was that my pc decided not to extract all files from the archive lol :0 the folder was incomplete. dunno how that happened, its working allright. thanks for the attempt :D
great job keeping the program updated all those years btw, its really lovely
danitah
Kuski

Post by danitah »

A few issues/feature requests. Might have mentioned some of these before, don't remember.

- While editing title ctrl c/ctrl v applies changes to lev.

- Trying to save for example as testest43452 (any number) using Filename editbox (not save as) while there is a level called testest gives Error 'A level with this name already exists'

- Renaming filename is buggy, it seems like it works like this: When you edit the filename editbox and click OK, SLE renames the lev file and updates the window title. However it does not apply changes made since last save, and if you save again it saves back to the old filename. Expected behavior for me would be: Save any changes - Rename level file - Load new level file.

- Crosshair doesnt work in cut-connect/draw/pipe/zoom/ellipse/text modes.

- Trying to move the selected texture by clicking in the area where it overlaps with unselected textures makes it switch selection instead. Image Link - Trying to move selected (Blue) textures where it overlaps with unselected (yellow/white) textures cancels the selection and moves the texture behind instead. This sometimes makes it impossible to work with complicated textures without doing a lot of workarounds.

- Would love to have hotkeys for 'Transformation' and 'Snap to grid'. I use these functions all the time and hotkeys would improve workflow a lot.
danitah
Kuski

Post by danitah »

Also some bug with poly operations, such as in this example, but it happens with other poly operations as well. Haven't found out exactly why/when it happens, doesn't happen always even with much more complex symmetric difference operations. Just quite often I notice there's a ton more vertices than there should be.
danitah
Kuski

Post by danitah »

Also please take away auto-flower when loading lev without one. Don't really get why need this, it's so easy to add flower anyway, and often it's desirable to have levs without flower, for example for apple battles. Also I have some pre-made stuff saved in other levs so when I import, it creates a new flower.
bene
Hot kuski
Team: dat

Post by bene »

danitah wrote: 8 Feb 2018, 17:18 and often it's desirable to have levs without flower, for example for apple battles.
Pls no have reachable flower in all apple battles so zweq can finish them in sl and make entertaining recs for us thanks bye :bear:
Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
danitah
Kuski

Post by danitah »

I always try to put if it's not clearly impossible 🐱
danitah
Kuski

Post by danitah »

Never mind my requests for hotkeys, it's quite easy to setup in AHK.

edit: Also accidentally found the hotkey for transform, wonder how didn't find before.

edit2: What I'd really like though would be holding ALT to work like it does in chrome for text, so while holding alt you never start moving or selecting stuff accidentally and always select stuff in a rectangle. Duno if well explained, ask me again if it is confusing.
danitah
Kuski

Post by danitah »

Hmm, seems like alt-clicking doesn't work quite like I thought. When I alt-click this grass poly it also selects surrounding textures, but for some reason not all. Is this intended behavior?
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

A few issues/feature requests. Might have mentioned some of these before, don't remember.

- While editing title ctrl c/ctrl v applies changes to lev.

- Trying to save for example as testest43452 (any number) using Filename editbox (not save as) while there is a level called testest gives Error 'A level with this name already exists'

- Renaming filename is buggy, it seems like it works like this: When you edit the filename editbox and click OK, SLE renames the lev file and updates the window title. However it does not apply changes made since last save, and if you save again it saves back to the old filename. Expected behavior for me would be: Save any changes - Rename level file - Load new level file.

- Crosshair doesnt work in cut-connect/draw/pipe/zoom/ellipse/text modes.

- Trying to move the selected texture by clicking in the area where it overlaps with unselected textures makes it switch selection instead. Image Link - Trying to move selected (Blue) textures where it overlaps with unselected (yellow/white) textures cancels the selection and moves the texture behind instead. This sometimes makes it impossible to work with complicated textures without doing a lot of workarounds.

- Would love to have hotkeys for 'Transformation' and 'Snap to grid'. I use these functions all the time and hotkeys would improve workflow a lot.
Good findings, I reproed and wrote these down. Transform tool already has a hotkey (space), although currently Select tool must be active. Oh ye you noticed this already.
Also some bug with poly operations, such as in this example, but it happens with other poly operations as well. Haven't found out exactly why/when it happens, doesn't happen always even with much more complex symmetric difference operations. Just quite often I notice there's a ton more vertices than there should be.
Reproed, thanks.
Also please take away auto-flower when loading lev without one. Don't really get why need this, it's so easy to add flower anyway, and often it's desirable to have levs without flower, for example for apple battles. Also I have some pre-made stuff saved in other levs so when I import, it creates a new flower.
I remember (a long time ago) opening a lev without a flower and it gave interror. I think that was the reason I disallowed deleting all flowers. Do flowerless levs work these days?
edit2: What I'd really like though would be holding ALT to work like it does in chrome for text, so while holding alt you never start moving or selecting stuff accidentally and always select stuff in a rectangle. Duno if well explained, ask me again if it is confusing.
Nice, never knew that :O and works also in Firefox. Definitely a sensible feature, wrote it down.
Hmm, seems like alt-clicking doesn't work quite like I thought. When I alt-click this grass poly it also selects surrounding textures, but for some reason not all. Is this intended behavior?
I remember making it so that it only selects the pics whose centers are inside the polygon. I was afraid that it would otherwise select too much, I guess. But maybe it needs to be more "greedy".
danitah
Kuski

Post by danitah »

Smibu wrote: 2 Mar 2018, 21:21I remember (a long time ago) opening a lev without a flower and it gave interror. I think that was the reason I disallowed deleting all flowers. Do flowerless levs work these days?
Lev without any objects gives internal error. As long as there is either an apple or a flower it should work.
Smibu wrote: 2 Mar 2018, 21:21
I remember making it so that it only selects the pics whose centers are inside the polygon. I was afraid that it would otherwise select too much, I guess. But maybe it needs to be more "greedy".
Ok now noticed that the actual corners were outside of the polygon, didn't notice this before, guess it's understandable behavior then.
AndrY
38mins club
Team: .lev

Post by AndrY »

still text problem

made a norm appleballe without savings, wanted to write "apple", began to make shit with fonts, get error and lev disappeared :(
My levs and other Elma things: sites.google.com/view/elma-andry + youtube
danitah
Kuski

Post by danitah »

When checking topology, and there are too many vertices, the error counts grass vertices also. so a lev with 5131 ground vertices and 500 grass vertices gives error 'too many, max: 5130, current: 5631', while a lev with 5130 ground vertices and 500 grass vertices passes topology test.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9888 Would be great if it would be pos to include this font built into elmanager.
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

danitah wrote: 9 Mar 2018, 05:13 Lev without any objects gives internal error. As long as there is either an apple or a flower it should work.
You're right; I finally bothered to check it. :) Next version will only require 1 object of any kind in addition to start object. There is a new topology error if you forget to add one.
danitah wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 00:47 When checking topology, and there are too many vertices, the error counts grass vertices also. so a lev with 5131 ground vertices and 500 grass vertices gives error 'too many, max: 5130, current: 5631', while a lev with 5130 ground vertices and 500 grass vertices passes topology test.
Thanks, that's fixed for next version!
AndrY wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 19:33 made a norm appleballe without savings, wanted to write "apple", began to make shit with fonts, get error and lev disappeared :(
Sorry, it looks like font handling is still bugged on some systems. It's hard to fix it because they don't reproduce on my machine. If you manage to get the full error message, I might be able to investigate it.
danitah wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 00:47 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9888 Would be great if it would be pos to include this font built into elmanager.
I wrote this down but I suspect it won't be very easy to make. The font dialog is kind of an opaque Windows component that is very hard to customize. But I won't say it's impossible. For example, I managed to make it auto-preview fonts when changing anything in the dialog (otherwise you'd need to click Apply every time).
danitah wrote: - Renaming filename is buggy, it seems like it works like this: When you edit the filename editbox and click OK, SLE renames the lev file and updates the window title. However it does not apply changes made since last save, and if you save again it saves back to the old filename. Expected behavior for me would be: Save any changes - Rename level file - Load new level file.

Fixed these too.

Edit: Released the update now. Changelog.
iCS
Kuski

Re: Elmanager - Updated 1 August 2018

Post by iCS »

Now this is a recurring problem for me, topology check won't find any errors, but i get error message in elma.
Occurs when two vertices are too close to each other. (error message says "Length of a line is too short")
Like in this level:
vonalh.lev
(19.61 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
If you move the vertex in the bottom left corner, you will see there are 2 vertices at the same place.
Possible to make detection for this? Because in a big level it's very hard to find the conflicting vertices manually :cry:
Thanks in adivance
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

Thanks for reporting; should be easy to fix. I'll try to release an update next weekend.

Edit: Done; that level shows a topology error now.
Last edited by Smibu on 10 Nov 2018, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
danitah
Kuski

Post by danitah »

A temporary workaround is opening the lev in internal editor and checking topology there.
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

danitah wrote: 6 Nov 2018, 11:42 A temporary workaround is opening the lev in internal editor and checking topology there.
"Everything seems to be all right" in the internal editor as well 8O
Same in ALE
And NEW! can't even open that lev.
danitah
Kuski

Re: Elmanager - Updated 10 November 2018

Post by danitah »

Would be nice with 'right click in empty spot' -> 'put start here' function. When editing large levs always spend a lot of time just looking for where start is.
danitah
Kuski

Post by danitah »

Please hotkey (+/- or whatever) in picture tool to change orientation so you can place from the corners. Default is in the center but it makes it quite hard to work with zoomed in corners.

Maybe badly explained so look here:

By default you place pictures like on the very right, but it would make life much easier if could toggle between placing in the other modes also.
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

danitah wrote: 1 Jan 2019, 17:05 Would be nice with 'right click in empty spot' -> 'put start here' function. When editing large levs always spend a lot of time just looking for where start is.
Agree, I'll add that.
danitah wrote:By default you place pictures like on the very right, but it would make life much easier if could toggle between placing in the other modes also.
Can you clarify what problem this would solve? Especially the part "it makes it quite hard to work with zoomed in corners". For example, would hiding the mouse while placing a picture achieve the same thing?
danitah
Kuski

Post by danitah »

Smibu wrote: 2 Feb 2019, 12:35
danitah wrote:By default you place pictures like on the very right, but it would make life much easier if could toggle between placing in the other modes also.
Can you clarify what problem this would solve? Especially the part "it makes it quite hard to work with zoomed in corners". For example, would hiding the mouse while placing a picture achieve the same thing?
For example this part in Chain Pi 4: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nknown.png
When doing something like this you generally have to place textures zoomed out, and then zoom in to more accurately position them. Another problem arises when it's quite complicated with many different textures and/or pics layered on top of each other and some of them are simply not selectable, and you have to move away textures with grid lock to make sure you can edit stuff before moving them back into the same exact spot.

There's also many situations where this would just make life a little easier, without it being a problem: Whenever the optimal placement of a texture is defined by one of the corners.
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

dunno if mentioned before. the only thing missing is being able to work on multible levs at time (having tabs like in NEW!) and being able to move polygons between the levels.

amazing tool anyways, best levtool out there. putting a mandatory word of respect to smibu for keeping it up all the time!
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

I know it's not the same, but Tools menu/Import level(s) can load any number of levels at the same time.
Only drawback: loads whole level, have to manually delete unnecessary parts. Not the best way if you need 1 polygon from a giga size level, but it's very useful in most cases. Especially when making chainlevs.
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

Hi, I get unhandled exception ("unknown mask") if using Texturize command with any other than the default masks (masklitt, maskhor, maskbig) from custom LGRs. Is there a chance for fix?
ROKKEBOL
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by ROKKEBOL »

Hey Smibu I remember there was some level name generator on zworqy site. Would be great if you attach it to sle so that it might generate random elma-related title for new levels instead of default "new level" title imo.

Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

danitah wrote:There's also many situations where this would just make life a little easier, without it being a problem: Whenever the optimal placement of a texture is defined by one of the corners.
Ok dani, I wrote that down.

jblaze: Yes tabs have been requested many times and it's on the list. Needs work of course, so I'm unsure if it will ever be done.

iCS: Ah yes, I forgot to fix that earlier. Will be fixed for next version. But texturizing with custom masks won't be as accurate as the standard masks because I've hardcoded some values about the transparent pixels of the standard textures. I will probably put a warning message about it.

ROKKEBOL: I can consider that if someone gives me the source code for the name generator and if zworqy is okay with it.

Edit: Updated now - changes here: https://gitlab.com/Smibu/elmanager/raw/ ... angelog.md

Updating to this version must be done manually, so download here. The update mechanism got broken because of GitLab's TLS update.
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Re: Elmanager - Updated 20 April 2019

Post by Chris »

Smibu thanks <3 for the update, but it seems that all links are dead, I couldn't d/l update or elmanager from the link in first post. :|
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
Smibu
Kuski

Re: Elmanager - Updated 20 April 2019

Post by Smibu »

Fixed, thanks.

Edit 17 July 2019: The Elmanager update server has been rewritten in Rust. The server used to be a quickly-written Python script, so now the server (and therefore the download button) should be a lot more stable.
Smibu
Kuski

Re: Elmanager - Updated 18 August 2019

Post by Smibu »

Changelog

* SLE: Added support for SVG import and export.
* SLE: Added support for drag & drop import.
* Elmanager DLLs now reside in "bin" directory, making EOL folder less messy if Elmanager.exe is in the same folder. (Contributed by tej!)
* Bugfix: Elmanager failed to start in Wine.
* SLE: Bugfix: Polygon operations would sometimes leave duplicate vertices in polygons.
* SLE: Bugfix: When a level was saved under a different filename, an undo operation would restore the previous filename.
* SLE: Bugfix: Font selection in text tool did not work in Wine.

About drag & drop

* If you drop multiple files (2 or more), they are imported to the currently opened level.
* If you drop only one file and it is a lev, you'll have to make a choice whether you want to open that level or import it to the current one. You do this by dropping it to either left or right side of the editor view. Left = open, right = import. The help text will get updated as you drag to make it easier to remember.

About SVG import

Importing an SVG file gives a dialog where you can choose some settings. I noticed different SVGs require different settings and these are hard to automatically deduce. There's no preview for now.

The settings are sort of difficult to describe, so it's probably best to just try and see how they work.

Other news

The homepage now has installation instructions for Wine. Tested on Ubuntu 18.04.

After you extract the current version on top of the old one, be sure to delete all DLL files that are in the same folder as Elmanager.exe. So you only need the DLLs in "bin" from now on. This time, the ZIP intentionally contains all DLLs twice because otherwise the old ones would not get overwritten automatically and things would break.

As noted in the changelog, this is the first release with an outside contribution. Grats tej!
Sla
36mins club
Team: SpEF

Post by Sla »

Very useful functions and editor. Thanks for effort. Currently editing new levels.

See u!
AndrY
38mins club
Team: .lev

Post by AndrY »

Smibu wrote: 18 Aug 2019, 21:27 The homepage now has installation instructions for Wine. Tested on Ubuntu 18.04.
did all the instruction, system is still comes to stuck after running the SLE.exe
cursor is stucking (but in last try it was hardly moving at least)
ever time stucked there lol

Description: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS
Release: 18.04
My levs and other Elma things: sites.google.com/view/elma-andry + youtube
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

Some news about the upcoming version:

* Level manager has been rewritten. It is now similar to Replay manager. The ancient VB code is gone.
* Due to moving to .NET Core 3, Windows XP and Vista are no longer supported. So, the minimum is Windows 7.
* Thanks to .NET Core 3, .NET Framework is no longer required to be installed.
* Thanks to .NET Core 3, Elmanager is now a single exe file (92 MB, 32 MB zipped).
* I will move the project from GitLab to GitHub because GitHub nowadays has integrated CI with Windows support. GitLab only has Linux.

Before I release the automatic update, here's a "beta" version to try out:

https://github.com/Smibu/elmanager/releases (at "Pre-release", click "Assets" and then the zip file)

@AndrY: Try the above version to see if it might work any better.

Screenshot of the new Level manager:

Edit: Updated beta version link.
Last edited by Smibu on 16 Jul 2020, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

Save level as PNG nicely optimized!
Save level as SVG should export grass polygons/objects only if enabled in elmanager view (as in export PNG).
tej
Kuski

Post by tej »

Exciting stuff, Smibu. I'm stuck in my ways, so I made an SLE.exe that just runs Elmanager.exe /leveleditor, and has the same icon as SLE used to have. If anyone else wants it, it's attached. Just put it in the same folder as the new Elmanager.exe.

It's written in .NET Framework, so the benefit Smibu is talking about above, about not having to download that, is entirely not taken advantage of here.

EDIT: Go a few posts down I post an easier solution.
SLE.zip
Contains SLE.exe
(2.81 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Last edited by tej on 26 May 2020, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

this helps a lot
ty for your service

edit: oh it only works one time for me, then doesnt work, if i replace it again, works one time again, then doesnt work
edit2: tej helped me fix it)))
Last edited by Hosp on 6 May 2020, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.
ToMaT
tej
Kuski

Post by tej »

Hosp wrote: 6 May 2020, 12:03 this helps a lot
ty for your service

edit: oh it only works one time for me, then doesnt work, if i replace it again, works one time again, then doesnt work
Works for the 2020-03-29 build (https://mkl.io/files/ElmanagerBeta.zip).

Sidenote: To all people upgrading from old versions of the program that included SLE.exe, LevelManager.exe, ReplayManager.exe, and Elmanager.exe and a bunch of .dlls, these are no longer required for Elmanager.exe to run. The dlls can be removed (careful if you've put it in your elma directory, bcz elma has bs.dll) and then you just put new Elmanager.exe and my SLE.exe.

Another sidenote: If you want to pin (my) SLE.exe to your taskbar, you can't pin the running version in the taskbar, because once it's running it's just the Elmanager.exe since my SLE.exe just runs Elmanager.exe. You have to pin the SLE.exe directly from the directory it's in.

The link I provided is from Smibu on the #general channel. It's a beta build.

EDIT: Go a few posts down I post an easier solution.
tej
Kuski

Post by tej »

Ok, I got out my big brain and came up with a far easier solution.

Instead of downloading my .exe, create a shortcut to Elmanager.exe and add the /leveleditor argument to the commandline in the properties.

Again, to pin this to your taskbar, drag SLE (shortcut) from the folder to the taskbar directly.
FinMan
36mins club

Post by FinMan »

you can also click on the sle.exe to go to sle
tej
Kuski

Post by tej »

FinMan wrote: 27 May 2020, 13:50 you can also click on the sle.exe to go to sle
Very funny. The whole point I'm posting this is because that executable has been removed in new releases.
FinMan
36mins club

Post by FinMan »

oh sry, my bad
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

iCS wrote:Save level as SVG should export grass polygons/objects only if enabled in elmanager view (as in export PNG).
Yep thanks, fixed in the latest beta.

Changelog.

Edit 25 July: Released the new version now. Looks like the changelog link in old version is broken, but download should still work.
Smibu
Kuski

Re: Elmanager - Updated 18 July 2020

Post by Smibu »

Say goodbye to alt+tabbing: this beta adds support for in-editor testing for SLE! Feel free to find out yourself what kind of things are possible. ;)

pskrip also contributed a couple of fixes and features for this version - thanks!

Changelog:

* SLE: Added support for in-editor testing.
* Replay viewer: Added support for showing approximate gas on/off times. (@pskrip)
* Replay manager: Fixed wrong tabulation order. (@pskrip)
* Replay viewer: Fixed an UI layout problem. (@pskrip)
* Fixed crash when trying to open replay/level manager without configuring lev/rec paths.
* Changed settings file format to JSON. The reason was that the old format (binary) is considered insecure (according to official .NET docs), and as a bonus, you can now edit the settings with a text editor.

https://m-l.fi/files/Elmanager.zip
Dorknoob
Kuski

Post by Dorknoob »

ROKKEBOL wrote: 20 Mar 2019, 21:29 Hey Smibu I remember there was some level name generator on zworqy site. Would be great if you attach it to sle so that it might generate random elma-related title for new levels instead of default "new level" title imo.
Pretty cool idea actually because I never name my levels, but to save Smibu from doing more work since he's already given us a fantastic level editor, there's also this: https://perchance.org/greatestlevelnames2014 It's just a bit more work to actually go through the effort of using it. I got some really solid level names like...

The Damp of Formation
Signification & Basements
Spaces & Crisis