Level of the Month (LOM)

Advertise your levels, contests, sites etc.

Moderator: Moporators

Igge
38mins club

Re: Level of the Month (LOM)

Post by Igge »

I think everyone got it, and are just expressing the fact that they think it's a good idea.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
zebra
Kuski
Team: TAP

Post by zebra »

abruzzi wrote:
zebra wrote:For example some years ago in ballelma or whatever it was back then, we made levels which consisted only of three vertices. I mean, only one polygon with 3 vertices. It's amazing how different kind of levels you can create even with such a settings.
show some bestsellers
You can find the levels in eol. The levels are:

z0009.lev
z0010.lev
z0011.lev
z0012.lev
z0013.lev
z0014.lev
A winner of 4 GAA's (mc2 included), winner of mkup206, and a proud member of team TAP.
Play uni levels: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/uni.html
Homepage: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/elma.html
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

I thought Haruhi was winking because igge said he likes physical restraints.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

You're sick. And not sick as in "sick rec!!"; no. You are a sick human being.
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Only three days left guys! Haven't received a single level submission yet D:
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

No surprise. This one did have a rocky start.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Also, "Fantasy".
ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Post by ville_j »

Quite impsy yes. Maybe I'll make something today..
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

Pretty high chance of winning this one then, if send in that is =D
I made nice level yesterday but I think it has nothing to do with fantasy, and I made it for Mopobattle.
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Seems people don't read the thread properly the first time and then complain that i changed some rule, so i'll post here the original thread text so that you all can see that the rules were there originally.
Hey guys! As promised, today marks the return of a once great competition in the Elasto Mania scene! Yes, Level of the Month is returning.

The aim of this competition is for titan designers to come together in a battle of levelmaking, trying to make the best level they can for the competition. Each month will be themed, that is - the levels are to be designed with a keyword or style in mind.

This is how the level of month is to be arranged:

- There will be one LOM hosted per month. (Naturally...)
- The theme will be released at the end of the first full week of each month. (Sunday)
- The levels need to be sent to me in their finished forms (Name them whatever) and i will rename them. Please do not share them. The deadline is Midnight on the last day of each month (EET) but please try and send before this.
- At some point in the first week of the next month (during primetime) the levels will all be battled by myself. All names and logo's will be removed so that no-one knows who made each level. Battles will be held for an appropriate battle length (Longer than the average battle, however.)
- After the battles are held, others will have a week to vote for their favourite levels. Votes should be sent to me or other jury members in a private message either here, on EOL or on IRC (if i'm online.)
- The results will be posted both on EOL and on Mopolauta, and names will be released. The levels will be released as a pack.
- I will be maintaining a set of statistics and a points table/kinglist. Points system to be decided later (when we know how many people participate.)

The voting system is as follows:
1) Send me or one of the other LOM Jury members your top 5 votes. 1st = 5pts, 2nd = 4pts and so on.
2) The votes will be tallied up. If the top2 or 3 are equal in points, the Jury will vote on their favourite levels. If one of the jury members is the designer of one of these levels, they will be excluded from this vote.
3) The top 3 will be announced in EOL, the levels released and full results posted on this thread.

-

The theme system will incorporate a wider variety of things than the old system to keep up with the updated online version of the game.

Because it's the first month, i will release the theme early to stop VJ from whinging. So, without further adieu, the theme for March 2012 is "Fantasy"

Fantasy: Things that are impossible or improbable.

Don't feel you have to design a huge level! A good hoyla level can be just as strong as a 2 minute epic, design what you think is the best level for the theme. Try and be creative.

--

NB: Would like a few more jury members, if you are happy to be a jury member, please pm me.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

Well, the deadline has passed and i received a grand total of 2 levels. Seems all those that were so eager for the competition were pretty non-eager.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

It just goes to show that sach type of visual design is dying.
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Also, "Fantasy".
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

So when are the balles (2 days left???) and when new theme announced??
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

Ville_J wrote:So when are the balles (2 days left???) and when new theme announced??
sorey, have been pretty distracted from elma (haven't even hoyl kopacup lev) and low participation = low motivation.

Haven't been able to be online when lots of players, but next time i am i'll balle them.

Thought i'd posted the theme already :x The theme this time is less interpretive and more focused on use of imagery and clever design. NATURE.
Image Cyberscore! Image
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Post by roope »

Surely that theme will help the contest get more designers o,o
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

i suggest a new theme: elma
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

roope wrote:Surely that theme will help the contest get more designers o,o
Haven't received a single theme idea when asked either.
Image Cyberscore! Image
zebra
Kuski

Post by zebra »

Haruhi wrote: Haven't been able to be online when lots of players, but next time i am i'll balle them.
I would like to know when it will happen. I think "next time i'm online" is not accurate enough. I guess there are players who would like to battle them. At least there should be.

The participant number was very low. I don't know what was the reason, but I guess you should still keep your motivation up. Maybe a tiny reward (for example 100 euros) would encourage more people to make levels :)
A winner of 4 GAA's (mc2 included), winner of mkup206, and a proud member of team TAP.
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

To me it seems a bit like he's trying to run this thing blindfolded or something so that may also affect the amount of participants. And yes I would also like to know when the battles are exactly to maybe be able to play those. All these things when you don't know when the deadline is, when the new theme is coming, when the battles are, when the voting takes place, when the results are coming... it all just pushes me away from it. But lately I haven't been playing elma much or making levels at all so..
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

zebra wrote:Maybe a tiny reward (for example 100 euros)
Don't know if serious?

Also,
Haruhi wrote: Haven't received a single theme idea when asked either.
Igge wrote:On a totally unrelated matter, I think this competition would be way more fun with "physical" restraints, rather than abstract ones. I'd be much more interested in "Who could make the best level with only 90 degree angles?" Or "by using only triangles?" Or even things like "best no-gas/volt level". To me those aspects of levelmaking are way more interesting than "Who can best incorporate "love" or "anger" into their level, by making you ride on hearts or driving inside an f7u12 face respectively.

Though I guess maybe that goes against the entire idea behind the competition itself. I never participated in LOM before so I'm not quite sure about the whats and whys. These are just my two cents anyway.
Ville_J wrote:Ok I did not understand you agreed on just one part of the quote you used. Good points there in both Haruhi and igge posts, I believe this is a bit different LOM than it used to be and there will be some closer to 'physical' themes, like pipe or ff or whatever. I wouldn't personally like 'triangles only' kind of themes.
zebra wrote:I agree with Igge. Would be nice to have some other kind of restrictions than only a theme.
zebra wrote:For example some years ago in ballelma or whatever it was back then, we made levels which consisted only of three vertices. I mean, only one polygon with 3 vertices. It's amazing how different kind of levels you can create even with such a settings.
Igge wrote:During some snaab session in belma I'd first make a 3-vertex level inside a background poylgon, then the next balle would be a 4-vertex lev, then 5, then 6 etc. Don't remember exactly how many I made, but each was entirely different from the last.
Zweq wrote:I thought that strictly defined restrictions was a great idea. Say, a level with 3 triangles and 2 apples would be preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetty interesting
Lousku wrote:It just goes to show that sach type of visual design is dying.
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

Problem i have is that for me to be on when there's many people to participate, it's ~4AM in the morning and i have university. Maybe i can send levels to Ville and you balle them?

Regarding results for this, it's very likely that the winning level can be chosen almost automatically due to the low number of levels.

Igge: Okay, i received theme idea "LOL 3 VERTICES," i stand corrected. Needless to say, the first few themes were always going to be traditional style before branching into the weirder ones a bit later. ENYWAYS how does tomorrow during primetime sound? Presuming i can get someone to balle them for me.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

I'm kind of sure that I could balle them for you, if you send them to me by PM and how long balletime etc.
ToMaT
niN
Kuski
Team: HoHo

Post by niN »

Like many people said already, and I mentioned it to you some time ago on irc: I think that it would be so much better if the designing would be about playing styles rather than visuality. i.e. FF lev, Gravity lev, Hoyla lev, 3 vertices lev etc. And I think this would increase your number of participants a little.

It would be easier to be creative in the levelmaking if this was the case imo.
Team HotHorses, and I'm converting to Icelandian now...
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Haruhi wrote:Igge: Okay, i received theme idea "LOL 3 VERTICES," i stand corrected. Needless to say, the first few themes were always going to be traditional style before branching into the weirder ones a bit later. ENYWAYS how does tomorrow during primetime sound? Presuming i can get someone to balle them for me.
In my first quote alone I propose "'Who could make the best level with only 90 degree angles?' Or 'by using only triangles?' Or even things like 'best no-gas/volt level'.".

Don't tell me we haven't provided you with any ideas.
Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

Yep, LOM themes used to be something else than physical restraints, but I don't see any problem changing that. You have to be dynamic to keep people interested, yo
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Haruhi wrote:Problem i have is that for me to be on when there's many people to participate, it's ~4AM in the morning and i have university. Maybe i can send levels to Ville and you balle them?
I think that would do, but I'm not sure if I am at home in the evening this week. Today is quite sure I am, tomorrow not likely, Thursday 50/50 chance, Fri-Sat depend on earlier events... Today and Sunday are possible for me to balle those.
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

Hosp is going to battle them, DIRECTLY after the mopobattle on thursday i assume. He can post here regarding an actual time that suits him best. Thanks btw.
Image Cyberscore! Image
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

:roll:
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

I'm sorry, but my internet stopped working some 19.xx yesterday so couldn't balle teh :(
I can't do it anytime this weekend but sometime next week would be good maybe?
ToMaT
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

Image Cyberscore! Image
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Just make a theme like "max 10 vertices" and next month will be much more successful, kkkk? "Nature" is almost as bad as "Fantasy", probably not gonna yield many entries either.
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

Lousku wrote:Just make a theme like "max 10 vertices" and next month will be much more successful, kkkk? "Nature" is almost as bad as "Fantasy", probably not gonna yield many entries either.
Next theme not released yet but something along those lines. First 5 themes all pre-planned since march.
Image Cyberscore! Image
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Am I being too optimistic if I ask here again when the balles are and expect to get an answer that will stick?
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

Ville_J wrote:Am I being too optimistic if I ask here again when the balles are and expect to get an answer that will stick?
I wanne know teh same, Hosp? Should i just ask VJ to balle them instead?
Image Cyberscore! Image
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

yu need a finn or a kopaka to get anything right in this community
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

Zweq wrote:yu need a finn or a kopaka to get anything right in this community
seems so.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

After I missed that mopobattle I was just waiting for you to tell me when but ye, when should I balle them now? :)
ToMaT
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Well whatever is a time when you can actually balle those, we others don't know how's your schedule. But not any retarded time like 1am or 1pm.
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

Ok, let's say Thursday 19:00 GMT+1.
ToMaT
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

where are the levels come on
jonsykkel
Kuski

Post by jonsykkel »

wel this was a suces
status:ONLINE - - -  drinking:GOFE - - - iq:85 - - - elasto mania ranking:#1
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

I'm very sorry but today at around 16 I got a call from SOC that I had to come to a meeting with them at 18.00 so I couldn't balle them today either.

New time: Friday 20th of April 2012 20.00 GMT+1 (tommorrow)
ToMaT
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

omg, this is hilarious :mrgreen:
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

This is just typical.
zebra
Kuski

Post by zebra »

lol Hosp...

The mopobattle is scheduled at the same time today...
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

Ok, I didnt know that, so let's say after the mopobattle, and after that, I quit elma.
ToMaT
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

I'm afraid I won't ever forgive you.
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

How funny.