Moped mania - Elma like moped game on Android & iOS

Advertise your levels, contests, sites etc.

Moderator: Moporators

nidalee
Kuski

Moped mania - Elma like moped game on Android & iOS

Post by nidalee »

Hey guys, this started out as an smaller project.. but turns out we are actually able to get it on mobile. Our Elma like game.
This post is kind of advertising also, but i would like to keep it authentic and tell my own story.

I got invited in a project called moped mania in the end of last summer to do graphics design. The project already had two of my longterm friends from highschool times and their common friend.
They had been working on their game for a while, but needed more people to handle all the stuff and to do graphics. They managed to talk me in and it turns out to be one of the best choices i've made. We all love playing games and now we can design them. (Btw we all played elastomania back in the days and couldn't find it for mobile, so thats a big reason why we wanted to do this.)

So our first project Moped Mania for mobile devices. It is currently in beta and but here are some screens:
http://imgur.com/a/F0m7c

We would like to keep elma feel in the gameplay, so we are open for any feedback. I can provide some gameplay video soon if you want and I have some beta invites to give away if you have an iOS device. (must be iphone4s/ipad2 or better though :( )
Last edited by nidalee on 13 Jun 2014, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Re: Moped mania - keeping the feel

Post by Orcc »

That actually looks very cool. The screenshots just don't tell very much, because it's all about the physics. Hopefully rotating is elma-like and not free rotate? Too bad there's no Android version.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Post by roope »

Is it possible pipe (go through that small hole) in screen 4?
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
nidalee
Kuski

Post by nidalee »

We did test elma style volting, but free rotate seemed to fit better on the tablets, it's just easier. It could be added as an option though.
physics are not exactly like elmas, there are differences and similarities but there have been alot refining and testing.

Camera has actually seen some upgrading during the last week or so, same goes sounds and graphics (adding props like the trees and bushes in the screens.) And the camera flipping, it's just adjusting to new gravity. Keeping the camera the same way would probably disorientate newer players.

But yeah a video can tell you so much more. These clips have been taken a couple of weeks ago and i just put them together so the video is kind of unrefined :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW8hCbf_Vr0
also added a pic of the current state of that map in editor view
roope wrote:Is it possible pipe (go through that small hole) in screen 4?
It's not meant to be able to get trough that pipe (screenshot4) atleast :D but we are trying to put in shortcuts and skill clears :)

EDIT: I realised what volting meant :D
Last edited by nidalee on 15 Jan 2014, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Wow, doesn't seem too bad. There seems to be some apple that rotates the camera view? Seems very strange for an elma player, but I guess the games don't need to exactly alike :p
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Another similarly wobbly clone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmiwEgaqPRQ

Beside the wobbliness, a key difference is free rotation vs volts.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
nidalee
Kuski

Post by nidalee »

Lousku wrote:Another similarly wobbly clone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmiwEgaqPRQ

Beside the wobbliness, a key difference is free rotation vs volts.
Oh totally forgot about that video, I actually put it there on my own utube account when we didn't have a new channel yet. It's the same game :)
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Oh wtf, how did that happen? :D I meant to link this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLp8z6Cxh0U
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
nidalee
Kuski

Post by nidalee »

roope wrote:Wow, doesn't seem too bad. There seems to be some apple that rotates the camera view? Seems very strange for an elma player, but I guess the games don't need to exactly alike :p
Yeah the green apples are gravity apples and they change the gravity of the bike as well as rotate the camera.
Lousku wrote:Oh wtf, how did that happen? :D I meant to link this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLp8z6Cxh0U
Fishmoto was not very successful in the market unfortunately, imo it looked promising... The developer kindly wrote a post mortem blog post so we are trying to hopefully not make same mistakes :)
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

i guess they both use same physics engine with same wobblage result <- extremely random guess. Eternally wandering why nobody tries to make a custom physics engine for their moped game. The wheel behaviour in elma is actually very unobvious to come up with. If you take an elma wheel and throw it on a wall it wont bounce off at all like in all these elma clones, just imagine throwing a ball to the wall in your room. Imo this is what does the magic for elma, the game feeling just feels right intuitively, although in real life yes, your wheel probably would bounce a little also

actually the other v should be v2 but whateva
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

Physics looks same as FishMoto (almost). I used to höyl FishMoto a lot but then the times are not saved online, only on the computer or something so all my timez are gone. :(
ToMaT
nidalee
Kuski

Post by nidalee »

We have spent a lot of time trying to come up with the best possible driving experience. There's no bounciness at all in the wheels and friction with terrain is infinite. This gives pretty much same kind of feeling as in elasto mania. What comes to suspension, tweaking spring forces and damping greatly affects on how the suspension behave. Elasto Mania seems to have a lot of damping with relatively small spring force.

We could try to do a short video giving a little insight on the driving physics.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Best way to see if its elma is to give beta access to spef and see if he wrs all levels within 1 day.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

The game looks very cool and fun, but unfortunately as a long-time Elma player that most of us are, I think it is kind of hard to enjoy that kind of physics. I have tried few moped games on my android device and none of them really came even close to be enjoyable. But I still hope you port it to other than iOS devices too so that I could test the game at least. Being accessible on all platforms is the key to success now-a-days!
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
zebra
Kuski
Team: TAP

Post by zebra »

nidalee, very nice game :)
Compared to elma, the wheels seem to be little too wobbly. Like you said, elma has more damping, which looks better (at least for an elma player). But otherwise the game looks nice. I have always wanted that kind of gravity apples which rotate the camera :)
A winner of 4 GAA's (mc2 included), winner of mkup206, and a proud member of team TAP.
Play uni levels: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/uni.html
Homepage: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/elma.html
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

Cool game nidalee o,o

I tried this (similar to elma maybe) x years ago: Bloboats
nidalee
Kuski

Post by nidalee »

Yeah I hope that even original elma players could like it, but of course its not a exact copy of the real deal and physics are from unity engine. There will be alot interesting and even new stuff in the game when its ready. And not sure which one, but beach/jungle/city will be the second theme in levels :)
ribot
Not banned

Post by ribot »

I have tried some different elma clones on iPhone, wonder why this type of game became so popular now.

Anyway, maybe the main problem with the touch screen is the controls. Your control buttons seem to be very near each other, so I wonder how that works out when not looking at control buttons? You can be insanely creative with this, and you need to be, if you want it anything like elma. Elma has extremely detailed control, as in no other game I know.

What you need is a control system where you can do all the moves without having to look at the buttons, and not being able to press the wrong button. This is asking for a brainstorming about every possible tapping combination. This is what can make a game epic, and last for a long time for höylä nurds.

Btw, The best clone I've come across is called MX Madness. It is a game that actually has a good game feel. It's very skill prone and a clever as well as fun implementation of controlling the bike. It's also quickly increasing in difficulty, requesting höyläs.

PS. The conclusion of all this is that if you want any success in elma, make an lgr ;)
-
"leader status in the Elma against-the-system underground" - Abula
-
IncrElastoMania - Elma Simulation - Browser Game 2020
Elma Imager - Command Line Tool 2020
nidalee
Kuski

Post by nidalee »

Thanks for the tip, I have to check out that game! :)

I agree on that the controls should be really precise and easy to use for the player!

It's easy for me to hit the right keys without looking with my ipad mini since i've been playing it so much, but we have gotten a lot feedback that they are too close to corners/each other and a bit confusing for new players.
Thats being fixed and even tho people generally don't like tutorials that much.. we have to include one really short intro on the basics. There will be different control setups and maybe even some customization options. :wink:

Tablets seems good with their screen size, and I hope we can build a good control option for the iphone aswell. (and androids later) We thought about the difficulty increase in levels and later on we will want to add harder levels that players can choose from if they want more challenges.

Good points &thanks for feedback.. thats something we really need :)
ribot
Not banned

Post by ribot »

I was thinking you could use gestures. If implemented neatly, I think it could really make the game epic.

Perhaps something like this. It would have to be tested to see if it really works, and maybe changed to be optimized.
- two finger rotate gesture to spin the bike
- double tap to turnaround bike
- single tap to toggle gas/break (very experimental)
- hold one finger for gas, hold two fingers for break?
-
"leader status in the Elma against-the-system underground" - Abula
-
IncrElastoMania - Elma Simulation - Browser Game 2020
Elma Imager - Command Line Tool 2020
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

phone games are usually way too easy, make it hard :D
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
nidalee
Kuski

Post by nidalee »

We had some gestures actually implemented and the code should be easy to bring back. Buttons and gestures sure have pros&cons and I think we are doing some testing with them after we release the game. And sure need to write up those ideas :)

The difficulty on the first map-packs will be quite easy to let the people get in on the fun :), but bringing more map-packs within updates that are labeled "hard" is our goal!
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

What do you mean by "keeping the feel"? Similar physics? Or a really addicting speedrunning game you can never master? Your physics are very different from Elma, but the latter is ofc still possible.
nidalee
Kuski

Post by nidalee »

Yeah I agree that the physics are different, but things like stretching suspension and endless friction with wheels combined with level design that allows skill to be involved makes it fun and addicting.
There are stuff that has been dropped to make it more friendly to new players, but out of all the driving games for mobile I think this comes quite close with the overall feeling.

And while writing this our coder actually said that he would really like to see elma2 come to life with the same physics as the original :)
nidalee
Kuski

Post by nidalee »

We actually just published the game on Android in Finland, Germany and New Zealand so if your'e located in one of these countries please download the game and tell us what you think about it. The game is in limited distribution before the actual launch so we can improve and iterate it further and all feedback is highly appreciated!

Here's a link to Google Play:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... MopedMania

Gameplay video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqtE1xwqWfU

ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Tried to install it on my Samsung Galaxy S2 but it says it can't be installed on default location. Not sure what that is about, usually if not enough free space the message is different at least.
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Well, after that video I'll never say that elma needs screen orientation changing on gravity!
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

kuchitsu wrote:Well, after that video I'll never say that elma needs screen orientation changing on gravity!
Even better like this? xd
nidalee
Kuski

Post by nidalee »

We also played with locked and non-rotating camera and i have to admit locked camera is crazy :D
I've been thinking of including gameplay menu to options so player could change gameplay settings like this:

-Camera rotation: On/Off
-Camera zoom level: Slider
-Minimap: On/Off

Other stuff? Suggestions?

Also, any suggestions on special apples? We've been thinking of rotten apples which could fit the theme quite well.
Currently we have these:

-Gravity apples
-Time apples: Triggers temporary slow-mo effect
-Golden apple: Huge golden apple that is either hidden or hard to collect. One per level.
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

Perhaps rotten apples could slow you down 60% or something.
Orcc
Moporator

Re: Moped mania - Elma like moped game on Android & iOS

Post by Orcc »

Dame I think my phone is too old for this, can't install.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Mrrrr
Kuski

Post by Mrrrr »

Can I get a direct link for this (APK file)? Because it says it's not available in my country :(
RiP Mawane ((
RiP Devin ((
wtf mans?!
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Mrrrr wrote:Can I get a direct link for this (APK file)? Because it says it's not available in my country :(
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5u4pj4egf6sf ... 5.apk?dl=0

Used apk extractor. Never used before so can't guarantee anything.
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

I use http://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/ to download stuff from google play.
Mrrrr
Kuski

Post by Mrrrr »

Downloaded, installed and it's working without any problems! I used apk extractor a dozen of times and it never let me down.

Thanks Lousku! :beer:
culinko wrote:I use http://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/ to download stuff from google play.
Trust me, I tried this several times for several weeks and it didn't work.
RiP Mawane ((
RiP Devin ((
wtf mans?!
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

culinko wrote:I use http://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/ to download stuff from google play.
Didn't work, probably because of the geoblock.