Elastomania ddraw wrapper

Advertise your levels, contests, sites etc.

Moderator: Moporators

Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Re: Elastomania ddraw wrapper

Post by Bjenn »

Bjenn wrote:Another great thing with this file seems to be that you don't have to use old drivers anymore with some ATI cards, I have Radeon 7950 and couldn't use any newer than 2012 drivers because elsewise I got very fucked colors in elma =(

My teammate Thor said he had this problem with colors and I gave him this file, and VOILA it worked!
I have to try update my drivers to know 100%

Also I managed to stream in fullscreen with Dxtory (I have not tried without the ddraw file yet). I have never known about Dxtory before.. I did some googling and 10min later I got it to work o/
Yes I confirm this, I updated my graphics driver yesterday and elma works without color fuckup!!
Thank you so much!
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

BlaZtek wrote:My elma shutdown after a while and I get this message from the graphic-card.

Could it be the .dll thats causing this?
Yes it's probably the dll. Buggy gpu driver again. Funny how these 'advanced' opengl features cause so much problems on some systems. Of course, if none of those fps increasing features are used, drivers would have no issues drawing and behaving correctly.
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

dunno if reported already, but i get a bug, that sometimes when i alttab out of elma and then click somewhere on the task bar, that my screen resolution changes to the resolution that i use for elma.
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
BlaZtek
Kuski
Team: CMR

Post by BlaZtek »

Ropelli wrote:
BlaZtek wrote:My elma shutdown after a while and I get this message from the graphic-card.

Could it be the .dll thats causing this?
Yes it's probably the dll. Buggy gpu driver again. Funny how these 'advanced' opengl features cause so much problems on some systems. Of course, if none of those fps increasing features are used, drivers would have no issues drawing and behaving correctly.
If Im forcing, lets say 500fps in eolconf.exe... Could that fix the problem? Because now I am playing with 1400fps (fraps say so). :O
[13:22:24] (ImagebEAT) blaz super pro
[17:06:15] (ImageRamone) ok I suckj. blaz rules
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Works fine for me, thank you. :)
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

had to buy a new computer, because my old one broke down. new PC was with windows 8.1 of course and i was quite worried that elma wouldn't work.
first test: lagged like hell, unplayble. then downloaded ddraw: much better, but little delay after button press. forced vsync off in graphics card driver: now it's almost as smoothely as before.
thank you so much, i have no idea what i would've done if you didn't release this dll!
Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Post by Mawane »

you would have downgraded to windows 7 like many people dont like win8
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

well, doesn't really matter for me if win7 or win8, i got my start button back and changed everything so it looks like win7, so it would've been kinda sucky if i'd had to buy an old operating system just so that i can play elma. (no, i don't wanna use a cracked version)
BlaZtek
Kuski
Team: CMR

Post by BlaZtek »

I upgraded from 4 GB Ram to 8. Also got an SSD harddriwe. Now EOL dont crash anymore. :) (y)
[13:22:24] (ImagebEAT) blaz super pro
[17:06:15] (ImageRamone) ok I suckj. blaz rules
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

Lukazz wrote:dunno if reported already, but i get a bug, that sometimes when i alttab out of elma and then click somewhere on the task bar, that my screen resolution changes to the resolution that i use for elma.
still get that bug, but only when i click on some folder/file in the taskbar with right click and then close it... o,o
Labs
37mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Labs »

This stuff can help with other games too if i copy into directory?
Team SPEED

Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

Lukazz wrote:
Lukazz wrote:dunno if reported already, but i get a bug, that sometimes when i alttab out of elma and then click somewhere on the task bar, that my screen resolution changes to the resolution that i use for elma.
still get that bug, but only when i click on some folder/file in the taskbar with right click and then close it... o,o
Managed to recreate the bug.. I'll try to find a fix.
Labs wrote:This stuff can help with other games too if i copy into directory?
Unfortunately no, because I'd need to implement a bunch of other functions too that the official version of directdraw has. It currently only has the functions elma uses implemented.
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

Alright, I've now fixed the resolution changing bug. Everyone who uses the ddraw_change_resolution flag should download the latest version.
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

thx, you are my hero forever!
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

Fixed a one more potential bug, so if you had the version that fixed the resolution changing, you should update to the current latest one.
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

Bjenn wrote:I tried to stream with OBS, EOL is only crashing.
Made a workaround so that OBS doesn't anymore crash with ddraw.dll. You can enable it by creating a file called ddraw_patch_obs.txt in the same directory where ddraw.dll is.

It crashes because the devs implementation of the capturing is buggy in a way that affects pretty much only ddraw.dll kind of files. I might suggest them a better way to do it :p
HatCat
Kuski

Post by HatCat »

The game does not start for me. EOL works with intense slowdown under VirtualBox (although vanilla performs 5x better). This is with either VSYNC off or on.

Tried the latest version of this dll, but the game will not start (either vanilla or EOL). Every other game starts and work well under VirtualBox for me. Any clue what is going on?
HatCat
Kuski

Post by HatCat »

also, none of the 4 flags from the readme are helping.
HatCat
Kuski

Post by HatCat »

i've been trying this under virtualbox: no success! every other game works fine under it. elma (both eol and stock vanilla) start under virtualbox, but when using this dll, elma doesn't start anymore. no flags seem to help by the way. any clue?

edit: guest system is xp btw. i've had to download msvcr120.dll from microsoft to get past the initial error. but now there is no error message, as i said in the first paragraph, it just doesn't start. process manager show no elma process at all. if launched from a command window, no error message is shown.
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

HatCat wrote:i've been trying this under virtualbox: no success! every other game works fine under it. elma (both eol and stock vanilla) start under virtualbox, but when using this dll, elma doesn't start anymore. no flags seem to help by the way. any clue?

edit: guest system is xp btw. i've had to download msvcr120.dll from microsoft to get past the initial error. but now there is no error message, as i said in the first paragraph, it just doesn't start. process manager show no elma process at all. if launched from a command window, no error message is shown.
Virtual machines are known to lack some opengl extensions which might make the dll unusable. It should tell if any of the extensions are unavailable, though.

I think the reason *might* be related to that msvcr120.dll. Iirc by default all applications compiled with the visual c++ 2013 won't work in xp, because that linked runtime(msvcr120) uses routines that are not available in xp. Make sure the runtime you downloaded from microsoft page is supported in xp. I can provide xp compiled version if you really need that.
HatCat
Kuski

Post by HatCat »

Ropelli wrote:Virtual machines are known to lack some opengl extensions which might make the dll unusable. It should tell if any of the extensions are unavailable, though.
Yes. It seems to support quite a lot of OpenGL extensions, though:
http://www.geeks3d.com/20110119/virtual ... xtensions/

-- you be the judge! ;)
Ropelli wrote:I think the reason *might* be related to that msvcr120.dll. Iirc by default all applications compiled with the visual c++ 2013 won't work in xp, because that linked runtime(msvcr120) uses routines that are not available in xp. Make sure the runtime you downloaded from microsoft page is supported in xp. I can provide xp compiled version if you really need that.
Oh, that would be nice! If it isn't too much trouble for you, that is. Weirdly, Elma does not run _that smooth_ as it is right now, in VirtualBox (compared with all the other games which run smooth). The XP guest is a cut-down version of mine, but then again I never had problems with any other game.

Yes, an XP-compiled version would be appreciated, and probably this will help others visiting this page in the future, too!
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

Alright, I uploaded the xp compatible version. You can dl it from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8mtg3l7zcgng5td/ddraw.dll
You also need the right visual c++ 2013 redistributable, so unless you've already downloaded it, you can get it from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=40784

Tell me how it works.
HatCat
Kuski

Post by HatCat »

Unfortunately, Elma still won't launch whenever ddraw.dll is called.

What's your guess?
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

HatCat wrote:Unfortunately, Elma still won't launch whenever ddraw.dll is called.

What's your guess?
Hard to say. There's nothing - at leats in my code - that causes the game to terminate without informing anything.
HatCat
Kuski

Post by HatCat »

Ropelli wrote:
HatCat wrote:Unfortunately, Elma still won't launch whenever ddraw.dll is called.

What's your guess?
Hard to say. There's nothing - at leats in my code - that causes the game to terminate without informing anything.
What I'd have in mind is that it outputs to command-line window lines such as "step 1", "step 2", etc. so we can know up to where in your script it works before crashing. But that's just if debugging interests you. I for one, like it :)
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

HatCat wrote:
Ropelli wrote:

What's your guess?
What I'd have in mind is that it outputs to command-line window lines such as "step 1", "step 2", etc. so we can know up to where in your script it works before crashing. But that's just if debugging interests you. I for one, like it :)
Ok, I created a debug version of the ddraw. Dl it from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8z5iuvuulhsexdc/ddraw.dll
It will create a file called ddraw_debug.txt that has numbers in it. Tell me the last number.

I'll then try to throw a educated guess at it what the problem might be.

Also, clear all the flags if the folder has any.
HatCat
Kuski

Post by HatCat »

Oh, nice for a debug version. :)

You won't believe... the file doesn't even get created o_O

edit: no flags either, my dear.
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

HatCat wrote:Oh, nice for a debug version. :)

You won't believe... the file doesn't even get created o_O

edit: no flags either, my dear.
Well, the problem is somewhere else then. That is, quite surely unrelated to ddraw.
HatCat
Kuski

Post by HatCat »

* scratches head *

* laughes *
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

Ropelli wrote:Ok, I created a debug version of the ddraw. Dl it from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8z5iuvuulhsexdc/ddraw.dll
It will create a file called ddraw_debug.txt that has numbers in it. Tell me the last number.

I'll then try to throw a educated guess at it what the problem might be.

Also, clear all the flags if the folder has any.
I really want to know why I'm unable to run the dll so I tried the debug version. If I run it with ddraw_windowed.txt, it stops on 55, if I run it without it then it stops on 56. Hope that helps.
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

culinko wrote:I really want to know why I'm unable to run the dll so I tried the debug version. If I run it with ddraw_windowed.txt, it stops on 55, if I run it without it then it stops on 56. Hope that helps.
If all goes as expected, those are the numbers it should output.
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

That means I'm fucked :?
HatCat
Kuski

Post by HatCat »

lol at this thread.

i wonder what's worse, it stopping before step 1, or it not launching after the last step succeeded. :))) :p
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

Well, I actually managed to find out the reason for that instant termination of elma. For some extremely obscure reason, all memory allocation functions defined in the C/C++ runtime terminate the program when they are called in the context of ddraw in Windows XP. The actual termination probably is caused by some memory violation in the allocation routine.

I'll look for a solution, if there even is any.
HatCat
Kuski

Post by HatCat »

I really don't want to push, but I'm asking, mostly out of curiosity: can that dll control the scaling? The community versions permit that, but the grass is offset then. To scale the output 2x (multiplying every pixel by four), without interpolation.

I'm curious. On top of that, I'd pay anyone for that.
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

HatCat wrote:I really don't want to push, but I'm asking, mostly out of curiosity: can that dll control the scaling? The community versions permit that, but the grass is offset then. To scale the output 2x (multiplying every pixel by four), without interpolation.

I'm curious. On top of that, I'd pay anyone for that.
It does only the things described in the main post. The dll does not change things in elma, it just renders the game through other means.
HatCat
Kuski

Post by HatCat »

Yes, I understand that. I was referring to patches (v1.2, v1.3, etc.).

But upon rendering, is it theoretically possible, to double the scaling? (doubling pixels on each axis)? Or would that just _overthrow_ the limits of dll coding?
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

HatCat wrote:Yes, I understand that. I was referring to patches (v1.2, v1.3, etc.).

But upon rendering, is it theoretically possible, to double the scaling? (doubling pixels on each axis)? Or would that just _overthrow_ the limits of dll coding?
Yes. But you can already do that in eolconf with the zoom. It also just blurs things if you try to zoom it in the dll.
HatCat
Kuski

Post by HatCat »

Ropelli wrote:It also just blurs things if you try to zoom it in the dll.
Okay. But last time I tried, grass or textures were offset that way (using the EOL zoom). That can be seen on the fifth level, amongst others. Grass or textures at the start are moved away and zoom cannot seem to fix it, IIRC.
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

For those having problems with the editor: try to update the gpu driver to the latest version. It actually fixed the editor for me on my laptop(the gpu being AMD Radeon HD 8240). I'd guess the bug affects primarily amd mobile gpus, unless those same buggy drivers are shared with other gpus aswell.

I also tweaked the resolution changing a bit, and updated the dll accordingly. It's a minor change, so updating isn't necessary though.
bene
Hot kuski
Team: dat

Post by bene »

Latest doesn't work for my complains about msvc120.dll that I have and if I move mscv120.dll from system32 folder to eol folder he says error 0x000000000c7 or something.

Also unworking in earlier versions that work I use version from 2015-01-15:
When multiple monitoring it does not clear/redraw other monitors properly so old stuff is visible on them.
Tabbing from one eol to another eol causes other eol to not restore need to go back to first eol and go via windows.
Eol becomes impossible to restore after a while with screensaver/monitor off active and need to close process and stuf.
Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

bene wrote:Latest doesn't work for my complains about msvc120.dll that I have and if I move mscv120.dll from system32 folder to eol folder he says error 0x000000000c7 or something.
You need to have the right runtime for ddraw. You can download it from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=40784

Those problems you listed should be fixed in the newest version. If not, updating the gpu driver is really recommended.
bene
Hot kuski
Team: dat

Post by bene »

I did dl and install that file already before posting still does not work.
Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
HatCat
Kuski

Post by HatCat »

bene wrote:I did dl and install that file already before posting still does not work.
culinko wrote:That means I'm fucked :?
Ecchi
39mins club

Post by Ecchi »

suddently doesnt work for me anymore, opens the elma window but can't get past intro screen, removing the .dll and elma works again :(
RIP enthusiast claim image:(
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

Ecchi wrote:suddently doesnt work for me anymore, opens the elma window but can't get past intro screen, removing the .dll and elma works again :(
I had problems with the dll after updating Skype, I reverted to earlier point in Windows ^^

Did you do anything special?
Ecchi
39mins club

Post by Ecchi »

nope nothing, just suddently stopped working:\ tried uninstalling skype just for safe measures, didnt help
RIP enthusiast claim image:(
HatCat
Kuski

Post by HatCat »

dxgl wrapper rewriting in process...
Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Post by Mawane »

Ropelli wrote:
bene wrote:Latest doesn't work for my complains about msvc120.dll that I have and if I move mscv120.dll from system32 folder to eol folder he says error 0x000000000c7 or something.
You need to have the right runtime for ddraw. You can download it from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=40784
still doesn't work for me nor Devin
Ropelli wrote:Those problems you listed should be fixed in the newest version. If not, updating the gpu driver is really recommended.
where's newest version? 1st post? last updated on may, i guess the dl link get updated with same url maybe? and dled last gpu version and still doesnt work for us

(trying to fix it for devin at the same time)
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

Mawane wrote:
Ropelli wrote:Those problems you listed should be fixed in the newest version. If not, updating the gpu driver is really recommended.
where's newest version? 1st post? last updated on may, i guess the dl link get updated with same url maybe? and dled last gpu version and still doesnt work for us

(trying to fix it for devin at the same time)
Yeah I update the dl link.
Mawane wrote:
Ropelli wrote:
still doesn't work for me nor Devin
What's the exact problem?