Elastomania ddraw wrapper

Advertise your levels, contests, sites etc.

Moderator: Moporators

Ropelli
Kuski

Re: Elastomania ddraw wrapper

Post by Ropelli »

Chris wrote:I downloaded x86 and x64 runtimes and re-downloaded dll, but EOL still gives my the same error message at launch.
There might be something in your pc that causes it, the dll is probably fine. Googling "dll bad image error" gives a lot of results that can help.

Edit: try disabling antivirus, if that some way blocks the dll loading.
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

Ropelli wrote:
Chris wrote:I downloaded x86 and x64 runtimes and re-downloaded dll, but EOL still gives my the same error message at launch.
There might be something in your pc that causes it, the dll is probably fine. Googling "dll bad image error" gives a lot of results that can help.

Edit: try disabling antivirus, if that some way blocks the dll loading.
I use default Windows 8.1 antivirus. If I find solution I will post it here.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

Ropelli wrote:Hm, it works fine for me. Maybe try moving the mouse in the elma window if it doesn't show up when switching back to it from desktop. The screen is rendered only when moving mouse in the editor.
It does come back when I switch from desktop, but the problem is I can't see the desktop. I can only use the mouse, but the Elma screen is still there. The same happens if you alt-tab from a level.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

Orcc wrote:
Ropelli wrote:Hm, it works fine for me. Maybe try moving the mouse in the elma window if it doesn't show up when switching back to it from desktop. The screen is rendered only when moving mouse in the editor.
It does come back when I switch from desktop, but the problem is I can't see the desktop. I can only use the mouse, but the Elma screen is still there. The same happens if you alt-tab from a level.
I changed the minimizing functionality a bit. Download again to see if it works now.
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

Had to download msvcr120.dll first, but after that in-game-minimizing works. Editor still doesn't.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

Kopaka wrote:This is pretty awesome, I can see the correct colors of the splash screen for the first time in years. 30% higher dps, quick as fuck alt tab, editor working.
Ropelli wrote:Limitations:
*It does not change system resolution. So if you're used to play elma with ancient resolution in fullscreen, this won't work for you.
Any changes of adding this though? I use 800x600, I could probably get used to a higher res but I can't play in widescreen. When I run 800x600 fullscreen normally I have black bars on the sides. With this ddraw I just get a small elma in top left corner. I could do some 1440x1080 windowed but the res changing would be preferable.
Added support for changing resolution. Create a file called ddraw_change_resolution.txt to enable it. Windowed mode will override this flag though, so make sure not both flags are present at the same time.
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

Wondering if this can have any change in streaming elma in fullscreen?
Can you make it work? Usually there is only a black dark elma that you see.
I haven't tried with new ddraw yet.
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

first good idea by bjenn, single segment elma speedruns on twitch yespls
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

I guess you could try.

Basically there's nothing that should prevent it.
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Ropelli wrote:Added support for changing resolution. Create a file called ddraw_change_resolution.txt to enable it. Windowed mode will override this flag though, so make sure not both flags are present at the same time.
Works perfectly. Start up and tabbing is a bit slower with this option on, but that makes sense of course. FPS is as high as windowed in same res. Much obliged :*
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

installed all c++ redistributables and it still freezes upon the start, damn.
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

Trying to download the latest version; I'm getting error 5xx for the Dropbox links. Can you provide a mirror?

Hmm ok, working now after several tries.

Can you update the sources to the latest version too? Or do you have a repo somewhere?
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

Smibu wrote:Trying to download the latest version; I'm getting error 5xx for the Dropbox links. Can you provide a mirror?

Hmm ok, working now after several tries.

Can you update the sources to the latest version too? Or do you have a repo somewhere?
Well, the subsequent versions are just simple bug updates which haven't touched the rendering code in any way, so I don't consider those relevant to the actual "vanilla" source code. And I'm just too lazy to set up any kind of repo, or updating the sources if I've made just a few line changes. The current sources should give the picture how ddraw.dll is implemented.
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

I tried it because Labs suggested it for fixing my problem with blinking cursor in internal editor (see: http://mopolauta.moposite.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9259).

Put in eol folder
started eol.exe
this happens: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c55x9g50k0jl1 ... l.jpg?dl=0

and it stays there, can't do anything but kill eol. Am I doing something wrong?
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

insane guy wrote:I tried it because Labs suggested it for fixing my problem with blinking cursor in internal editor (see: http://mopolauta.moposite.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9259).

Put in eol folder
started eol.exe

Nope, but create a file called ddraw_change_resolution.txt in the same folder where ddraw.dll is. It will then adjust the screen resolution to match the elma window that way.
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

Ropelli wrote:
insane guy wrote:I tried it because Labs suggested it for fixing my problem with blinking cursor in internal editor (see: http://mopolauta.moposite.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9259).

Put in eol folder
started eol.exe

Nope, but create a file called ddraw_change_resolution.txt in the same folder where ddraw.dll is. It will then adjust the screen resolution to match the elma window that way.
That fixed it. Also fixed blinking cursor in editor! Thanks Ropelli, you are my hero!
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

I tried to stream with OBS, EOL is only crashing.
And my computer is making this buzzing sound when I run elma with this new ddraw
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

Bjenn wrote:I tried to stream with OBS, EOL is only crashing.
And my computer is making this buzzing sound when I run elma with this new ddraw
That's likely the GPU's fan spinning. I actually think EOL crashes because the streaming software probably fiddles with the ddraw somehow and calls some functions that are not implemented in my version.

There are probably streaming softwares that will work seamlessly with the new ddraw.
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

It's not a fan, it's the sound from cpu or something, very highpitched buzzing. As soon as I tab out from elma the sound immediately stops.
I will try tonight if the earlier ddraw version made elma do this sound aswell.

Meh, OBS is the best streaming software out there, I guess I could try xsplit too.
jonsykkel
Kuski

Post by jonsykkel »

sound like scren
status:ONLINE - - -  drinking:GOFE - - - iq:85 - - - elasto mania ranking:#1
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

So as this thing is so great, I'll try to write a detailed bug report about working with internal editor. These are just two minor bugs, but anyway, maybe it's useful information...

As seen in this thread, the ddraw.dll fixed my problem with blinking cursor in editor: http://mopolauta.moposite.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9259

I only noticed two small problems:

1. Weird alt-tabbing after using internal editor.
Playing and alt-tabbing to win7 64bit works perfectly.
When I use the editor however for the first time after starting elma and I alt-tab to windows for the first time, everything LOOKS fine. But as soon as I click somewhere (like on startballe.exe shortcut), screen resolution of windows changes to very small (like elma native resolution). I can use windows but with ugly colors and resolution. If I alt-tab again to elma, then back to windows, everything is fine again. Right now I am unable to recreate the bug... weird.

2. Alt-tab to windows when zoom window in editor intersects with 2nd monitor.
I use two monitors and when I use the Zoom in box to zoom in and this box intersects the border between main (left) and 2nd (right) screen, elma goes straight to windows. This does not happen if I touch the other borders of the screen. This bug can be recreated any time.

Hope this helps, thanks again for this thing.
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Another great thing with this file seems to be that you don't have to use old drivers anymore with some ATI cards, I have Radeon 7950 and couldn't use any newer than 2012 drivers because elsewise I got very fucked colors in elma =(

My teammate Thor said he had this problem with colors and I gave him this file, and VOILA it worked!
I have to try update my drivers to know 100%

Also I managed to stream in fullscreen with Dxtory (I have not tried without the ddraw file yet). I have never known about Dxtory before.. I did some googling and 10min later I got it to work o/
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

Bjenn wrote:Another great thing with this file seems to be that you don't have to use old drivers anymore with some ATI cards, I have Radeon 7950 and couldn't use any newer than 2012 drivers because elsewise I got very fucked colors in elma =(

My teammate Thor said he had this problem with colors and I gave him this file, and VOILA it worked!

Also I managed to stream in fullscreen with Dxtory (I have not tried without the ddraw file yet). I have never known about Dxtory before.. I did some googling and 10min later I got it to work o/
Cool. How much fps do you get with the new ddraw? (You can check that with Dxtory or Fraps)
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Ropelli wrote:
Bjenn wrote:Another great thing with this file seems to be that you don't have to use old drivers anymore with some ATI cards, I have Radeon 7950 and couldn't use any newer than 2012 drivers because elsewise I got very fucked colors in elma =(

Cool. How much fps do you get with the new ddraw? (You can check that with Dxtory or Fraps)
It showed around 700-800 but it felt more like 300 or something. Maybe because I have OBS running too which records Dxtory, it is lowered even more.

I will try to stream in 30fps next time instead of 40 and see if I get higher fps in-game. And maybe more resolution downscaling.
Ecchi
39mins club

Post by Ecchi »

This is pretty amazing, but for some reason eolconf.exe wont let me change settings anymore, like swapping fps for different levels. Just gives me an error saying "can't write to eol.exe"
RIP enthusiast claim image:(
bene
Hot kuski
Team: dat

Post by bene »

imo that is error happens when you are have eol running while eolconfing osv. Close all eol.exe processes and try again.
Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
Ecchi
39mins club

Post by Ecchi »

Well its not running, only thing that comes to mind is if this dll makes another process use eol.exe for something, anyone confirm/deny or got any fix?
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Maybe you have eol.exe writeprotected, try exclude elma folder in your antivirus also.
Ecchi
39mins club

Post by Ecchi »

Nope, neither of those is the case, never had this issue before I used this "patch" even if I remove it from elmafolder I still cant write to eol.exe
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

Ecchi wrote:Nope, neither of those is the case, never had this issue before I used this "patch" even if I remove it from elmafolder I still cant write to eol.exe
Try in administrator mode. Ddraw shouldn't have any effect on that problem anyway.
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

i get same error as zweq and anp :(
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

Oke, since Lukazz has reported the same bug, I'm now totaly convinced that this ddraw is for casuals. Cuz only the pr0s get this weird bug. Im think it's pretty obvius that the error had been hardcoded into the dll to not allow us to use it, all because of Ropelli's jealousy to our incredible skils, especially mine and Lukazz's. What an revelation!11 BUSTED!
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

i actually think that this is a very elaborate prank, and this dll file is actually some trojan/virus shit, that grabs all our secret wr-style-recs. :/
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

It's a very minority of people that have issues with the ddraw though. It's not a conventional application executable so it's bound to have a bit more compability errors. If I only knew what causes the dll not running on some systems, I'd fix it. Googling basically gives zero results, mainly because people usually don't need to make things like this.

You could try open the dll in notepad and see if the two first letters there are MZ. Those initials stand for an exe file, and if they're missing the exe will give a same error you have currently.
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

the MZ is present there. if i try to open the .exe, i get "access denied", but i guess that's correct. if there's something i could do to help you find out what the problem is, just tell me.

p.s. according to anp i'm pro too :beer:

edit: maybe i'm experiencing different problem after all, because i don't get any error message, just blank window.
Last edited by culinko on 29 Jan 2015, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

Ropelli wrote:You could try open the dll in notepad and see if the two first letters there are MZ.
aren't
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

Lukazz wrote:
Ropelli wrote:You could try open the dll in notepad and see if the two first letters there are MZ.
aren't
Well, there's your problem. Very weird that in some odd way the dll you downloaded has the initials removed o,o. Could you upload the file somewhere so I can check it more closely?
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

WTF. It contains all but the right data it should contain. I throw a guess that dropbox' uploading utility is bugged in some ways :D
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

clicked on the link and then download instead of 'right click - save as' now, and now it works.
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

Lukazz wrote:clicked on the link and then download instead of 'right click - save as' now, and now it works.
Maybe anp and zweq should try that too.
culinko wrote:the MZ is present there. if i try to open the .exe, i get "access denied", but i guess that's correct. if there's something i could do to help you find out what the problem is, just tell me.

p.s. according to anp i'm pro too :beer:

edit: maybe i'm experiencing different problem after all, because i don't get any error message, just blank window.
Are you using a laptop? Your problem might be a driver bug aswell.
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

Ropelli wrote:Are you using a laptop? Your problem might be a driver bug aswell.
yeah, i'm on a laptop. using latest ati drivers though.
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

What gpu are you using?
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

by gpu you mean graphic card? i have ATI radeon HD 3200.
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

Oke, I guess that's just another form of a driver bug. Seems like every graphic related bug with ddraw happens on laptops.. I've reviewed my own code multiple times and haven't found anything that would explicitly cause such or raise an opengl exception. I also googled some about the pixel buffer extension and there was a thread where people had a same kind of problem. It was considered a driver bug there too.

Basically there's nothing that can be done.
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

well, that's a shame. this is how it looks like btw: http://kopasite.net/up/w65czqlsxvp46jp/ddraw.png. if i alt+tab to another program, that program would be in the background. so it's just transparent window.
Ropelli
Kuski

Post by Ropelli »

Well, try run this version of ddraw(http://kopasite.net/up/w8353w82cyqw9rh/ddraw.dll) and if a messagebox appears, copy and paste the opengl error code it gives here. If a messagebox doesn't appear, there shouldn't be any error with opengl and the bug will be just a mystery.
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

strange, it got flagged by NOD as "Blocked Object", but i granted an exclusion to it. looks like it's a mystery, because there is no error, it's the same empty window as before.
BlaZtek
Kuski
Team: CMR

Post by BlaZtek »

My elma shutdown after a while and I get this message from the graphic-card.

Could it be the .dll thats causing this?
[13:22:24] (ImagebEAT) blaz super pro
[17:06:15] (ImageRamone) ok I suckj. blaz rules