World Battle Cup II STARTS TONIGHT 20 GMT+2!!!

Advertise your levels, contests, sites etc.

Moderator: Moporators

SveinR
Moporator

Re: World Battle Cup II STARTS FRIDAY APRIL 8TH

Post by SveinR »

Zero wrote:This is very irrelevant imo. With the same logic we could take 24h events to a World Cup because the best players can produce good rides within that time.
Well, the difference is that cup events have a tradition of being 1 week long, just as battles have a tradition of lasting around 15 minutes.
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Post by ville_j »

I like that the battles are one hour long. That way it doesn't matter too much if you happen to miss 10 minutes from the start or end. Also it makes it feel like it's something big and important rather than just another battle. It is true however that the nature of these wbc events is a bit different from regular battles, but I don't see it as a problem.
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

SveinR wrote:Usually we don't have a full hour to spend on this, and the very best battlers (Markku, Zero, Zweq) can usually win a battle and produce extremely good runs in a very short amount of time, often less than 10 mins. Having 60 mins might "shift" the skill level a bit so it becomes a quite different event from normal battles - thereby making the overall winner not necessarily the same as the best "traditional" battler (though of course, the aforementioned players would likely excel in any event).
I see it totally opposite way. The shorter the battle time the more randomness affects the results. If the battle lasts for one minute anyone can get that one lucky run to win the lev, whereas in one hour event the most skilled guys are more likely to make their perfect run. That's how it goes in everything - with short time span the deviation is high but in the long run it evens out.

In any case I like the one hour battle time in cup, even though I seldom play normal battles when battle time is more than 15 minutes. With one hour time you can only blame yourself if you can't find the style or execute it, and also the winner rec will very likely be nice.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Orcc wrote:
SveinR wrote:Usually we don't have a full hour to spend on this, and the very best battlers (Markku, Zero, Zweq) can usually win a battle and produce extremely good runs in a very short amount of time, often less than 10 mins. Having 60 mins might "shift" the skill level a bit so it becomes a quite different event from normal battles - thereby making the overall winner not necessarily the same as the best "traditional" battler (though of course, the aforementioned players would likely excel in any event).
I see it totally opposite way. The shorter the battle time the more randomness affects the results. If the battle lasts for one minute anyone can get that one lucky run to win the lev, whereas in one hour event the most skilled guys are more likely to make their perfect run. That's how it goes in everything - with short time span the deviation is high but in the long run it evens out.

In any case I like the one hour battle time in cup, even though I seldom play normal battles when battle time is more than 15 minutes. With one hour time you can only blame yourself if you can't find the style or execute it, and also the winner rec will very likely be nice.
True, but on the other hand, quick stylefinding and quick execution are needed skills too. Specifically they're the skills that battles emphasize more than all other types of contest, so why would we simply crank the events of the biggest battle contest as far away from that as possible (maximum battletime)? It doesn't feel right if every event is 60 minutes, because the vast majority of battles are much shorter.

A contest with only 60min events measures a slightly different skillset than battles in general.

EDIT: oaps, missed the prev page. Svein said almost same thing.

But now I want to add:
Zero wrote:
SveinR wrote: the very best battlers (Markku, Zero, Zweq) can usually win a battle and produce extremely good runs in a very short amount of time, often less than 10 mins.
This is very irrelevant imo. With the same logic we could take 24h events to a World Cup because the best players can produce good rides within that time.
I think the only problem with a 24h WC event is less players would find the time for it. Otherwise, why nat?
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Polarix
Kuski
Team: TR

Post by Polarix »

But, as mentioned by Svein Rune, the nice thing with a 60 min battle is that if you are busy with other real life activities, like dinner and what not, you still might have time to get an acceptable time in that battle. Also the more players, the better I think, and a long battle time will get more players involved.
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Polarix wrote:Svein Rune
o,o
Is that actually what his nickname means? Never knew.
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

60 minutes all the way, please. These aren't some random regular battles, these are the WORLD BATTLE CUP BATTLES!
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

Madness said it. and he said it well.
Elasto Mania - ez better
adi
36mins club

Post by adi »

60 minutes for every battle. Anyway why couldn't there be another battle contests? For example simple battle league.

About special events: first finish battle wouldn't suite at all. Maybe better to stick with normal battle mode but surely there could be at least one special level (for example pipe).
Team MiE
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

40-60 mins per battle is good, depending on length and degree of difficulty of the level. But yeah, rather 60 mins for all of them.
niN
Kuski
Team: HoHo

Post by niN »

Remember this starts tomorrow!

Tell everyone in the eol chat. Make sure you have it ticked in your calendar!

The events will be 60 minutes long at the dates specified at nindex.
Team HotHorses, and I'm converting to Icelandian now...
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Can't wait! I'm happy that it's going to last whole month this time. I felt like first WBC ended a bit too quickly.
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

my sleep rhythm is fucked so i cant play but gl all
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

Maybe you should add the link to nindex on the first post, I had trouble finding it in here =)
And your link in your signature does not work.
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

ATTENTION!

Do the events start 21:00 or 22:00 Finnish time? The page lists events starting on 20:00:00 GMT+1, and since it's summer time now and Finland is in fact GMT+3 at the moment, I just want to make sure what time does it really start..?
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

ville_j wrote:ATTENTION!

Do the events start 21:00 or 22:00 Finnish time? The page lists events starting on 20:00:00 GMT+1, and since it's summer time now and Finland is in fact GMT+3 at the moment, I just want to make sure what time does it really start..?
Very good question vj. Gold star for noticing!

GMT+1 is in fact misleading and wrong. What it should be then is GMT+2, or more accurately: Swedish time!! I will change this right away.
Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

STOKE!
NoobSty2-competition

kuchitsu
Kuski

Re: World Battle Cup II STARTS TONIGHT 20 GMT+2!!!

Post by kuchitsu »

Oh boy I love time zones...
So it is about 3 hours from my post?

Then I've already told some people incorrect time yesterday and today. :\
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Post by roope »

Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

awesome, thanks roope!
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

kuchitsu wrote:Oh boy I love time zones...
So it is about 3 hours from my post?

Then I've already told some people incorrect time yesterday and today. :\
you think they'll miss the event?
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

I don't know but it's maybe a bit dangerous to suddenly "change" the time just a few hours before the start...
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

well at least it's changed the right way. So they'll be an hour early rather than late. If you're online then please let them know that it starts an hour later than expected!
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

niN wrote:well at least it's changed the right way. So they'll be an hour early rather than late. If you're online then please let them know that it starts an hour later than expected!
No, 20:00 in GMT+1 is 1 hour later than 20:00 in GMT+2, so they'll be late.
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

Lousku wrote:
niN wrote:well at least it's changed the right way. So they'll be an hour early rather than late. If you're online then please let them know that it starts an hour later than expected!
No, 20:00 in GMT+1 is 1 hour later than 20:00 in GMT+2, so they'll be late.
yeah you're right.
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Told Virus about correct time so he should be there at least.)
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

Good, because of this mistake I will put a "get stoked" battle at 20 swedish time, and the actual WBC event one will actually start at 21 swedish time. But in the future the times written on nindex will be final, no exceptions.
Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

The hell? Then I will miss the real battle
NoobSty2-competition

ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

pls no, start it 20 swe time people are already bearing getting drunk and stoked for wbc and will be too drunk if hev to wait too much longerr(
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Cool first event! Lev was kinda scary at first but very enjoyable after you figure out all parts. A lot of people participated too, which is reassuring.
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

I agree with kuch. It looked impsy at first (because no arrows in gravity apples), but was pretty fun to play in the end) Two somewhat equal routes too.
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

Summary
So the first event passed, far from painless. Because of my mistake of mixing up the timezones (a mistake I thought I would seriously never make!) the deadline was announced to be an hour later than what I wanted. To make the story short I announced 2 new starting times within 3 hours which confused everyone. To give everyone a fair chance to catch the first event I put a battle saying that the real thing will start in one hour before the actual cup started and then I started the first event at the later deadline, so the word would reach everyone. I wanted to avoid the situation where serious ppl showed up with 5 mins left of the event.

This is bad, yes I know. But they were decisions I had to make and there's no way for me to take in to account for peoples personal shopping times, or alcohol habits. It sucked, now work with it.

On a happier note you that missed this event should know that there's technically one skip allowed since there's an eleventh optional event.

Observations
To enter a different but just as serious topic. I was in the eol chat today for the first time in months and these were a few of the comments that me and the WBC was welcomed with...

Comments on the battle I put before the cup started:

"what a piece of shit lev"
"yea, bin this shit"
"this level is seriously bad"

Comments less than 2 minutes in on the WBC2 first event:
"vtf is this shit"
"i think mans didn\'t get the memo that cuplevs don\'t work in wbc"
"this feels like totally retard lev tho"
"this is shite"

What I really reacted on was the comment that we didn't get no memo that cuplevs don't work... etc. You say this after having tried one level for 2 minutes? That says more about your character than anything else if you ask me. I think it's sad that so many were negative after not even having given a great level an honest try.

It was not a very happy experience for me to be there and in the future I will put the battles and then leave. I'll stay away from all social encounters in-game. Not because I'm a wimp but because I don't want to lose all motivation to finish this cup for you guys. I probably won't come back after the cup either but that's a different topic.

The impression I got after reading through the chat logs looking for these comments to post here was that most people had a positive experience after the battle was over. That is good, and to those that kept a good attitude (kuchitsu was one I specifically remember): good job and keep it up. You seem like mature people.

nindex is updated with stats btw.
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

:( Sad to hear that but of course I perfectly understand your reaction... There are definitely some problems in the scene, in fact roope made a thread on this topic just two weeks ago if you haven't seen it yet: http://mopolauta.moposite.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9444
Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

I noticed there was an error in the first announced timezone, but I felt it was obvious that you didn't mean winter time during summer time months. Maybe it was not for everyone, but at least it seemed like everyone was there at the original starting time feeling confused that the event didn't start as announced.

I don't play Elma very much, but there are some events in which I like to participate. So I had planned my entire evening based on the WBC starting time. That's why it didn't feel too nice that the original time was changed just because possibly maybe some people might miss it. Of course I don't value my playing more than others, but there were no people that certainly would miss it with the original starting time.

Well playing-wise it didn't matter after all because then my gf continued her evening a bit longer, but due to late schedule then we ended up not meeting at all.

Regarding the comments on the level it is a known fact that you simply cannot please everyone. niN has been a member of the scene long enough that he should know that the hating comments will be there and should not be taken too seriously. I sometimes comment shit lev two seconds after the battle has started just for fun. Surely some comments were not meant for fun, but like I said, you can't please everyone.

For my own taste the lev was a bit too tricky. Generally people will enjoy an event if they feel like they get a good run within the battle time. That's why for hard levs there are often comments "too little time" and if the lev is simple "too much time". In this particular lev I don't see harm done because WBC is supposed to have different type of levs, but maybe it was a bad call to start the whole cup with a hard lev.

I guess this post sounds negative, but I do have plenty of love for niN and hope he would bear with us (shit scene, retarded members etc.), and maybe some day !bear with us. And of course I'm looking forward to the upcoming WBC events!
NoobSty2-competition

roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Well, it was me that said that memo line - even though I started that topic kuchitsu linked earlier. As I said earlier, the lev ended up being quite nice after playing it a bit (and checking in SLE that there are gravity apples). I guess I got caught in the heat of the moment for a couple of reasons, and I apologize if someone hurt their feelings.

Quite frankly, I'm a fan of things being planned well and going smoothly. And even though I absolutely love niN for organizing these contests with the little time he has, I still can't help but to be just a bit mad for the lack of involvedness. I thought it was supposed to come pretty clear with MR3 that only advertising in Mopolauta doesn't work anymore. While in MR3 you could say like "well fuck that, I'm happy with the players I get", in WBC there's the aspect of people really really wanting to play, but they can't play if they don't know about it. I think a pretty big portion of yesterday's players came from the advertising non-organizing people made a couple of days prior, and that shouldn't be the case (both that players know about the cup only just before it, and that non-organizers should be responsible for the "heavy" advertising).

With that critique - even if one could say it's harsh - I hope this WBC does well and I'm quite confident it will. The first WBC had a lot of issues too, but it was a success because the concept is simply that great :)
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

I am sorry, it was me the negative bitch who wrote "this is shite" in the beginning (= "I can't solve this" in the EOL language). Later on I wrote: "I take my previous comment back, this is the best level ever." :wink:

It was really an amazing level and I enjoyed it to the last second. It was the best battle I've played in 2016 for sure. Please, keep it up!
Polarix
Kuski
Team: TR

Post by Polarix »

For sure, WBC match 1 is the most intense battle I have played this year. Fantastic level. Blood rush.

Nin, stay strong, I appreciate your work highly!
Boomer
39mins club
Team: LOS

Post by Boomer »

Orcc wrote:I sometimes comment shit lev two seconds after the battle has started just for fun.
How this can be considered fun is beyond me..
Team LOS website

<jaytea> uh milk was invented in 1966
-
<teh_mila> bah, fucked up nice labpro ride cause i almost fell of the chair:)
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Well you have to understand people are different and act differently. It's easier to change your own habits than anyone else's, so if you find these shit lev comments insulting maybe you can change your own thinking and not take them too personally or seriously which applies to almost everything on the internet. It doesn't mean everything should be tolerated, but I certainly feel like it's not only the complainers' fault that there seems to be this division where the other group gets insulted by everything and the other group is bitching as much as they can. If someone would comment something like "vtf is this shit" about my level I would just laugh at it and in fact when I first read niN's post I literally lolled, I mean bursted into laughter irl out loud. That's how differently we can experience stuff. I already did some explaining in the other topic so I'm not going to write it again, but here is a part of the irc conversation we had yesterday:

Code: Select all

< ville_j> yes.. i don't understand why take to personally
< lousk> it does kinda suk to judge it before finding out what the lev is really like
< ville_j> it's not a judgement, it's a reaction
< ville_j> it's like same thing when you see some new food and you comment "eww that looks like poo" and laugh and then eat and enjoy it
< lousk> yees
< lousk> would be different if you didnt play it after saying teh
I don't know about you but I tend to have this kind of a reaction and I can't keep my mouth shut for 30 minutes before I reveal the final carefully chosen objective verdict. I had a fun time playing that battle and overall I am very stoked about this cup no matter what kind of levels there will be. And as Zero nicely put it some time ago, I even hated my own level in the first WBC.
Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

Boomer wrote:
Orcc wrote:I sometimes comment shit lev two seconds after the battle has started just for fun.
How this can be considered fun is beyond me..
Well, for example after all the talking about the hating comments in first WBC event:

[10-04]-(21:01:49) (EOL_bot) * regular balle WBCII02.lev started by WorldBattleCup, 60 mins. can't see times
[10-04]-(21:01:50) (EOL_bot) (Lousku): SHIT LEV!!
NoobSty2-competition

Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

I had no idea this is gonna be hidden times. It's not written anywhere so we couldn't have brought it up before the cup... so I'll just complain now.

"World Battle Cup" sounds like it should measure who is the best at battles, but this is something different. Yes, they're still battles, but so are drunk last counts battles. If you're going to take that title for your contest, it ought to be common popular battles with good levels and the best players. Making the battles unusually long and adding some setting that is almost never used in battles just doesn't make any sense. Of course it's totally fine if you want to run a battle cup with hidden times, but calling it "World Battle Cup" makes it more like a public service.

Other than that, great levs so far.
Sla
36mins club
Team: SpEF

Post by Sla »

I like hidden times. With see times, we all could notice we are doing wrong style or something just by looking at 1st pos. Also i like the surprise of looking own and others positions on table after 1h. And i dont understand why it must be not hidden times just cuz this is "World Battle Cup".
Just my opinion.
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

I wish too that this was discussed before the cup started, I had already forgotten the first WBC was hidden times. For me hidden times battles are the most boring ones and I never play them. However, it is quite obvious to continue with the format it was earlier. But maybe before planning a new season we should discuss these things a bit more.

Edit:
And about the levels, they have been nice but unfortunately this second one was a bit too long/hard combination, it was really a struggle to even make a finish, let alone actually being happy with the run.
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Sla wrote:With see times, we all could notice we are doing wrong style or something just by looking at 1st pos.
Yeah, that's the point. If that isn't preferable, why do >99% of balles have shown times?
ville_j wrote:However, it is quite obvious to continue with the format it was earlier.
I missed the first WBC compleetly so had no idea about this. :/
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Maybe these are more of a mixture of battles and cups. Cup rules (point standings, hidden times, etc.) in a battle environment. The goal is not to make every event seem like the average EOL battle (15 minutes, shown times, norm shitty lev), like it seems some think it should be. Also, in the end the organizer decides the rules, and especially as these were the rules last time too, it shouldn't be expected to be changed. I really enjoy these settings, though I would welcome a few events with more special rules.
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

roope wrote:The goal is not to make every event seem like the average EOL battle (15 minutes, shown times, norm shitty lev), like it seems some think it should be..
It's perfectly possible to have great levels that work with 15 minutes battle time and shown times...
Rules | FAQ
Labs
37mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Labs »

Ye with times shown would be much better, with invisible times it makes contest like a cup and it loses its battle feeling.
Team SPEED

kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Let's just have both... Some months after this cup someone organizes another one, with 18 min shown battles on flat tracks or whatever.) But changing the style of World Battle Cup now would be too weird imo. It's already a brand kinda.

btw. Another nice event. I'm happy with the levels so far, definitely enjoying myself.
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

SveinR wrote:
roope wrote:The goal is not to make every event seem like the average EOL battle (15 minutes, shown times, norm shitty lev), like it seems some think it should be..
It's perfectly possible to have great levels that work with 15 minutes battle time and shown times...
I never said it isn't. Just for me these arguments "in norm EOL battle it isn't normal to have a 60 minute battle time", "in norm EOL battle it isn't normal to have hidden times" could be continued with "in norm EOL battle it isn't normal to have a very good lev" o,o

I enjoy the norm EOL battles for what they are, but why should we make the WBC identical to them? There's a vast amount of settings available, I think it's only good to use something special for the WBC. I wasn't here in the old days of #battle, but weren't the battles there pretty much exactly like this? A set time and nobody could see your times, except if you tell/lie, which is a fun part of the experience too. I love getting BOTH sides of the two contest forms at the same: the cup feel (hidden times, many events, points) and the battle feel (everyone gathering at the same place at the same place together, play for a short period of time, and shittalk in the chat).
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

roope wrote:I never said it isn't. Just for me these arguments "in norm EOL battle it isn't normal to have a 60 minute battle time", "in norm EOL battle it isn't normal to have hidden times" could be continued with "in norm EOL battle it isn't normal to have a very good lev" o,o
Hah, well :)

It's more a matter of what we associate with a battle. For me when I think of a battle I think of short playing times and the excitement of watching the live standings and trying to improve my own position - or defending it in the unlikely event I am leading. This excitement is in many ways lost for me when the times are hidden.

Anyway, this is what it is and it probably shouldn't be changed now. I do have a suggestion however - how about doing the "bonus event" a bit differently and including shown times there? Just for that event?
Rules | FAQ